2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Made a 1 footer on 18 for bogey and a 79 (first time breaking 80)... what are your milestones?

dxdgenert

I have shot mid 70s a few times prior, nothing less than a 75 though.

I shot even par about 3 years ago, home course which I play alot - short, but greens are challenging. I played alone for the front 9, then joined up with a random guy for the rest. Started out par, eagle, then a few pars. bogey, par bogey to finish the front nice at even par. I would not say I was on fire, was getting my drives in play - not hitting a ton of greens but was getting up and down from everywhere.

Back 9 - I had 6 straight pars - now I knew I had a chance to post a special score.

Birdie on hole #16 - now I am -1!

Great drive on #17, short mishit approach left me in some cabbage - poor chip, poor chip, tough putts gave me a double! Crap, now I am +1 on the back

#18 is a relatively short par 5, good drive and a 3 wood from the fairway. There was no way I was not going to try a 3 wood. For some reason I always seem to pull my approach shots on this hole to the right (lefty golfer). I aim pretty far left, good strike but the ball is still edging to the right side of the green where there is sand, then woods. Ball landed softly and just rolled into the fringe. I made a great slidey putt from the fringe - had a chance to go in, but slid past - easy birdie to end with a 72.

Funny thing is that since that time, I never had a good chance for another even par round. I have replaced almost every club in my bag after getting fit - hit my new clubs noticeably better and more accurately, my game is more complete...but for whatever reason - I scored so well that day, even with ill fitting equipment.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

grats to all the posters on your milestones. always great to hear stories of accomplishments.

i recently reached a personal milestone and shot under par for the first time. i finished -1 for the round. i was somehow -3 after the front and managed my way through some errant 2nd shots on the back nine to finish -1. although i had a chance at birdie on 18 but played slightly too much break. hoping i can continue this play for the rest of the year!

Had my first sub-80 round in 25 years about a month ago, shooting a 77 on a par 70 course much easier than my home course. Saturday I finally broke through on my home course with a 79. Shot 40 on the front, and was playing well. Bogeyed the first 4 holes on the back, figured oh well, that's that. Proceeded to birdie 14 and par the rest to shoot 39 on the back. 17 and 18 are longer par 4's (392 and 422 respectively). Both holes, ripped my drive into the woods but had a good angle to advance the ball out. Both times got it within 75 yards of the green with a hooded 4 iron, both times hit a lob wedge inside a foot for tap in pars. Proceeded to shoot a 91 on Sunday, but we don't need to discuss that.

My other goal coming into the year was to get my index down to single digits. Started the year at 13.2, had 7-8 weeks (covering 30-40 rounds) in the spring of really bad golf that ballooned it to 15.3 on 6/15. I've been playing really well lately (and I play a LOT, averaging at least 5 18-hole rounds per week), and as long as I don't screw the pooch between now and Saturday, I'll get down to single digits - current cap is 10.3, trending cap is 9.0.

• Like 1

I'm sill chasing scratch thats my long term goal. I'll share my one and only milestone. The only time I have broken down and cried as an adult. Its lame I know but it was my first real tournament win as a grown ass man.

The long story short: My mom asked me to win her a trophy before she passed of cancer. Looking back I know that she probably knew she wouldn't get to see it. Cancer is a tough and brutal one. It was just her way of motivating me to keep playing instead of moping or being depressed. I've posted before but the first few years getting back into competitive golf I could barely put a tee in the ground I was so nervous. I'm ashamed to admit I was literally drinking fireball in a parking lot before tee off so I could get drunk enough to not care. It was sad and I'm not proud of it.

However: I won my first club championship in September of 2015. My mom had passed in July a few months prior. I'm not spiritual or anything but it was a weekend right out of the cheesiest movie you could picture. Golf was my therapy for that year or two and it all clicked for me on the right weekend. I took down the guy at my club who had won 9 of the 15 club championships. I couldnt miss a putt. Just calm and composed the entire time. I remember waking up the Saturday of day one and knowing I was gonna be there at the end.

I shot a 67 on the final day to come from behind as a 3-4 handicap at the time. Career tournament low by a MILE. Only time I've gone under par in a tournament . I definitely enjoy the memory a lot more now than I did that day. Wept like a baby in the parking lot for a good 10 minutes haha but I wear that one like a badge of honor.

• Like 2

> @davep043 said:

> Congratulations to everyone who has posted, every milestone is great. For me, I remember the first time breaking 80. I was in grad school at NC State about 40 years ago, and shot 78 at Cheviot Hills (now a housing development). I mentioned it to the pro when I was done, and he said "Be sure to read the paper tomorrow". Sure enough, he got my personal best a line in the local golf section, I wish I had thought to save it. I can remember my first time under par, in a casual round, I can remember my personal best in competition (70, -2) in a Senior Club Championship about 5 years ago, and my only time under 70 (-2 69 at Talamore in Southern Pines).

Couple things: Have you tried to look on newspapers(dot)com for the story in the N&O? I feel sure it's on there. Might take a bit of time to find it, but not that long. Also, Cheviot Hills isn't housing...it's car dealerships, and I really think that's a sadder outcome. I was living in Raleigh when it shut down. Shut down quick, like they signed the papers and I believe it shut down within a week or 10 days. It shut down so quick that I know they had times booked out beyond the closing date... But for the money that was allegedly paid for that land...I'd have shut down quick too.

Milestone: I broke par for the first time 5 years ago,shot a -2 70 with 3 birdies and 1 bogey.

I shot under par -1 71 a couple of weeks ago, with 6 birdies, 3 bogeys and a double.

My goal is to shot in the 60s and that day I was so close, counting a stupid double bogey with 3 putts and the fact that I played horrible golf with drive/irons. Fortunately, I shot 25 putts (counting the 3 putt!): I wasted the perfect putting day.

> @"Johnny Biarritz" said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > Congratulations to everyone who has posted, every milestone is great. For me, I remember the first time breaking 80. I was in grad school at NC State about 40 years ago, and shot 78 at Cheviot Hills (now a housing development). I mentioned it to the pro when I was done, and he said "Be sure to read the paper tomorrow". Sure enough, he got my personal best a line in the local golf section, I wish I had thought to save it. I can remember my first time under par, in a casual round, I can remember my personal best in competition (70, -2) in a Senior Club Championship about 5 years ago, and my only time under 70 (-2 69 at Talamore in Southern Pines).

>

> Couple things: Have you tried to look on newspapers(dot)com for the story in the N&O? I feel sure it's on there. Might take a bit of time to find it, but not that long. Also, Cheviot Hills isn't housing...it's car dealerships, and I really think that's a sadder outcome. I was living in Raleigh when it shut down. Shut down quick, like they signed the papers and I believe it shut down within a week or 10 days. It shut down so quick that I know they had times booked out beyond the closing date... But for the money that was allegedly paid for that land...I'd have shut down quick too.

Yep Leith got some deep pockets, I still Live here and take my car to the Toyota dealer for service you can actually still see some of the old par five that wasn’t developed I believe unless it’s an Audi dealer now LOL. At my old course a lot of the guys that played with all came from Cheviot or the old Wake Forest club that shut down which was another shame, and crooked Creek, people bought a house to live on a golf course 20 years later no more golf course sucks

I broke 75 for the first time about a month ago. I went 39-35, with 2 double bogeys on the front 9, and had 4 birdies on the back 9. A couple of bad holes from breaking par, which is my next goal.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

> @Blarkins111 said:

> Played a course near me called Renditions today, which is made up of replica holes.

>

> I think my career total for birdies before today was 4.

>

> Today I birdied 3 holes on the back 9, including back to back on 11 and 12. First time ever doing that and even my playing partners (who were strangers) were really fired up!

>

> Nice day!

Always great when people get fired up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Broke par twice this year...shot 69 (-3) and doubled the 1st hole..also shot a 70 (-2)..my index hovers around 6-8 so both rounds were quite exceptional..Played today and was even after 13 and took a 9 on a par 5...finished 5 over 77...shooting par for 18 holes is tough.. can’t count the many of times one hole jumped out and grabbed me..oh well..golf isn’t easy especially staying focused for 18 holes..

Congrats to everyone on their milestones. I'm still looking for my first round breaking 80. Came close a few weeks back. Sitting at 74 on the 18th par 5. I'd been smashing the driver all round and of course send my drive into the woods. It's fairly open and I punch out. End up on the fringe after 2 more shots putting a 15 footer for par. Not even close! Total choke job. It'll come I'm sure but so frustrating.

• Like 1

Congrats on the biggest milestone I can imagine! I hope to one day get there with you.

My latest personal milestone is getting back to health this season, and finding a consistent swing that doesn't always score, but propels the ball forward without a duff and close to where it's intended.

I've been mid 80s several times this year, and with some work and some luck, I hope to join you next year. Good job!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

birdie, par, par to finish a round at a very hard course. I'm a 90's golfer so anything under 100 is good for me.

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I broke par for the first time today. Shot -2/70. Could have broken 70 for the first time as well since I was at -3 standing on 18 tee but proceeded to make a very nervous bogey. 4 birdies, 12 pars and 2 bogeys. Been a long time coming.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Thought I’d chime back in that, it true WRX club ho form I switched out my utility, irons, wedges and putter since breaking 80. Classic. Honestly, I have no doubt I’ll do it again next season. It doesn’t matter what I’m playing it seems.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Well done! I've gotten close but not cracked that nut yet.

The latest was about 3 months ago. Playing pretty well for me, nothing worse than bogey on the card. Come to 18 and need bogey for 79. Decent drive in the fairway but pushed the approach a couple yards right of a right side bunker. Plenty of green to work with and slight uphill to the pin. All the components in place for easy pitch over the bunker and two putt for 79 or one putt for 78. Not to be. Decelerated into the bunker, hit out, 2 putt for 80. I'm an idiot.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

reading thru this I would say the stand out milestone for many is breaking 80, awesome to read about so many avid players

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @smoky25 said:

> Shot my age for the first time on Wednesday. 65. Beat my previous personal best of 67.

Fantastic!!! Where?!?!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Well done on the 79!!!

My milestone is that I recently won my first open-field, individual tournament, The Los Angeles City Senior Am. Quite a few decent finishes over the years, but never a win. Felt ... really nice. :-)

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Been playing 3 years as of this past August. My personal best prior to our club championship this year was 76 (+4).

We had our club championship flighted. I was in the 2nd flight (6-10 handicaps). I shot 78 (+6) on day 1 and was 4 shots back of the flight leader, a notorious sandbagger. Paired with him on day 2.

I opened birdie, birdie, par. He opened bogey, par, bogey. His 4-shot lead was gone walking off the green on #3.

I birdied #15 to get to +1 and stuck approaches to 6 feet on #16, 8 feet on #17, and 15 feet on #18 but couldn’t get any of them to fall.

Shot 73 (+1) to his 83 (+11). Beat my career best by 3 strokes in the highest pressure round I’ve played to date. Won the flight by 6 strokes.

I got home and told my wife about how close I was to shooting even par with those last 3 birdie putt opportunities and she told me “shut the f*** up! You beat your best by 3 strokes on Sunday of the club championship. I don’t want to hear a d*** thing about the ones you missed...”

Started the year as a 12 HC and am currently a 6.4. It was a good year.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

• 1 month later...

congrats . that is great

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Huge congratulations. I think it’s hard to explain to people how meaningful these personal milestones are to us all, especially non golfers!

My personal achievement was breaking par for the first time as a youngster & the realisation that it was 100% down to my mindset.

played in a local 4 round Tournament at the age of 14/15 & playing off a 8 handicap (UK handicap so likely a 4 or 5 US cap) went out & shot a rubbish 81 on a par 70 in the first round, massively disappointed & no where near the predicted cut line. So I went out in the afternoon round with no inhibitions at all and playing with a very good + figure player who also kept me focussed just by being calm I broke par for the first time with a 66 (-4) which just came out of nowhere - still didn’t make the cut but the realisation that I could shoot low scores spurred me on no end & I don’t think I would have been the player I was without that day & how it planned out in particular.

As an aside the first time i shot par was on hollowcored greens (massive cores in the greens for aeriation) & I had a 20 footer on the last which was SO far off line when I hit it but it bounced sideways into the hole!

still have the ball from each of those rounds.