Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Just back from first range session with Cobra Kings. I should say that when I picked them up last week I was slightly disappointed to find the 4-6 irons are CBs but it was a good deal and they were shiny and it’s new clubs!! Also liked the idea of trying the C-Taper shaft.

My son was with me so we did some back to back testing with the MP4s with S300s (which somehow found their way into his bag!!).

Initial impressions are that the Cobras feel really different to the Mizzys. It’s hard to put my finger on the exact difference but it’s something I noticed after the very first shot. The only way I can put it is that the Cobras feel more powerful. The blade length is definitely more compact and squat and could be contributing to the feeling together with the shaft. The sound is similar but slightly less muted than the MP4s...a thin hit is definitely much louder with the Cobras. Not sure whether the tungsten plug is something to do with that.

Flight- and distance-wise, I couldn’t really tell any difference and tbh there is absolutely nothing between the MP4s and Cobras in the 4-6 irons. I would need to get onto a launch monitor to verify.

One noticeable thing is that it felt easier to ‘go after’ the C-Tapers if I wanted to eke out a few extra yards.

I just need to get them onto the course to see how they actually perform but not much chance of that at the moment as my part of the UK seems to be under a permanent rain cloud

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Picked up two more sets of blades over the holiday season:

Set #1: Mizuno MP-67 S300 3-PW

BBGKBE915A0C.jpeg

Set #2: Adams (Raw) MB2 3-PW KBS Tour Stiff

MC5HB8W9B7UR.jpegI’ve had solid range sessions with both sets and they will definitely see on-course action in the near/moderate future. My FG-62s are still in the rotation.

• Like 1

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

That ferrule's definitely compensating for something!

Incidentally, and this is something I don't like to share with strangers on the Internet, but I have a bit of a ferrule fetish. Those tickle me jimminies, I tell ya.

I'm not even sure what jimminies are, but mine are been tickled right now.

Funny you mention this. I've put my set of MP-14s in the bag, and have been practising with them. I think of the PW as a 50* gap wedge, and the 46* 9i is therefore like the PW in my MP4s or Wilson FG62s (actually 47*). My 50* gap wedge goes 130 yards. My MP14 goes 120-ish. Ho! so the MP14s are short, I thought.

Then realised I'm comparing summer distances to winter distances, pre-hernia distances to post-hernia distances, and good swing to (now) crappy swing. So, perhaps the MP14s aren't so short after all.

Actually, at the range today, a big missing piece clicked into place and I was getting some distance back, with the PW going about 125 yards. That was nice.

There was a guy next to me today striping his Titleist 680s (I peeked). He even had a 2i in there, and was practising with it. He was hitting it as high as my 5i, which is pretty impressive with those crappy range balls. I was quite jealous. Also saw 2 different chaps with MP20s (or Mizuno Pro 120s as they are called here). From the back, they did look a lot like my MP14s that I had with me.

• Like 1

I've always thought the MP4s had a solid ‘thunk’ at impact, not so much a ‘buttery’ feel. The Cobras definitely have a ‘thwack’ if that makes sense.

Really can’t wait to get them out on course where I will see and feel the real difference.

Radius Classic 8

I'm all ears on thoughts of C-Tapers'. May try them on FG59 or Titleist 962B.

Had somewhat aggravating season, where mid & short iron ball striking was better than ever and long through Driver had regressed. Would feel like I had to do a lot of unnecessary things to get longer clubs to work well. Lot of disconnect going on. EE and steep delivery, so forth.. Hit upon tendency of collapsing tush line in back swing. More specific, my lead butt cheek did not stay back in 1st half of swing which led to all sorts of chaos transition on. Weird is notion that one hinges off left hip to build ground pressure in right foot. The change is subtle but does much to simplify swing and enhances ability to create a space, one that allow arms a portal to fire through properly. Regained a ton of pop on driver and my #7i was hitting new highs with full control. So I'm stoked about all things golf right now, have some tasty builds in the pipe and hit upon an epiphany that might resolve an issue that has been dogging me for long time. Cheers.

• Like 1

Not got a game booked for 10 days and weather is not conducive to getting out there before then any way but as soon as I get some rounds in, I’ll report in on the C-Tapers.

My game this season has been opposite to yours to some extent...long game has been great, 100 yards in has been a car crash. Either too steep and chunking it or thin bullets 30 yards through the green! Lots of great ball-striking rounds completely undone by the pitching game. I have resorted to watching back Nick Faldo’s Golf Course (from when he changed his swing with Leadbetter) to try and get some feelings back to striking a good wedge. On the range it seems like I’m making progress...we’ll see when I get to the course. For me, the Faldo video breaks the swing down into very simple portions which is easy to put together as a whole...it’s always worked when I’m lost with my swing. The drills really work for me and seem to be working for my lad who’s been playing for a couple of months.

Hope that epiphany comes to fruition! ?

Radius Classic 8

Played my last round of the year today. It was cold, below 10*C (50*F) with a cold northern wind, which at the beginning was about a 2-clubber, but it died down a lot for the second half.

I didn't play very well, as I've got a really problem with flipping my wrists, which I may have had before my hernia but my hernia has certainly exacerbated it That said, it affects my woods more than my irons, so while I was awful off the tee, I was often able to recover something with the irons, including setting up a couple of unlikely birdie chances after poor tee-shoots.

I played the FG62s today, although I had been practising with the MP14s up to the round, but I just love the 62s.

Iron shots OK, chipping good, woods/tee shots bad, putting just not good...45 and 40 for an 85, which included 2 OB and one penalty off the tee. And 37 putts...with good chipping.

Not a great round, but a round in which made me realise my short game has improved a lot over the year, and I also finally figured out a way to stop me flipping. I don't need to think about hernia pain (left side), but concentrate on dropping the right elbow and I can smack the ball with no repercussions.

So that's good.

• Like 1

If it makes you feel better, Catchy, the high temperature here today will be -1C or -2C. And that's considered above average.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Hah, hitting range today, so we'll see. Short clubs need more shoulder, less arms and hands just relegated to face control. Crown of lead wrist leading the hands that are "knuckles down". All this goes well for me on chip shots to #7i. On longer clubs, lose Goldilocks of extension -> flexion -> extension of body and probably for several reasons but can sense hip rotation is a 70% 'er. Can hold & unload firing of right side properly with short clubs, have a harder time with longer. Either swing is too long or I'm too impatient in transition or both but gaining more efficiency of hip rotation can only help. Noticed that my hip tilt gets off on wider setup. Trying level them more in setup and work from there. Dunno. My best swings feel like arms "go for the ride" on the back of fast shoulder speed. The suspension system of legs and hips has a lot of impact on how well one can rotate thru with shoulders. With longer clubs, mine feel slow, with shorter, pretty fast. Seems like my bottom end is rickety. So better setup, holding tush line and proper downward angle of hips is where I'm working it today.

• Like 1

Well hit like 200 balls, pretty mom gave a full bucket. Feel like I'm in right zip code, have a greater sense of ground force and a flattening of bottom. Think Rory or Tom Lehman, keister drops and lead hip pulls back faster. #5i and big dog working better. Noticed also that extension of torso is too little, need higher trail shoulder with long sticks. The right muscles (glutes) are tired but rest feels good to go for tomorrow, lol. 1st world problems. 681's are super solid, love em.

• Like 1

That's what you get for living so close to Canada. They have so much cold, they export it to other countries.

Although it was pretty cold yesterday, I was able to get away with wearing just two layers. A "gokudan" heat-tech polo from Uniqlo and an old-school Pringle wooden jumper. The Gokudans are amazing, warm and good at keeping the wind out.

Well it's a positively balmy 6 degree celsuis here with barely a drop of wind - the wife got me a Shotscope for Xmas, so am going to pop out for 9 and give it a whirl - haven't set the tags up yet, so trying GPS only.

Am in a pretty good place with my game though, have made a couple of tweaks to my pre shot routine, trying to straighten up my takeaway - short version, Ive always done the Dufner waggles, but now I'm trying to waggle the club back straight rather than inside. Seems to have made things much straighter off the tee, so promising so far. Shame due to the weather my short game is getting a little rusty, still a couple of months to get rid of the cobwebs before the season starts.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

• 2 weeks later...

First round with the Cobras/C-Tapers today. All I can see is that I am really looking forward to the rest of the year!! On course, it is obvious that Cobra heads are somewhat squatter than the MP4s which seems to make them feel denser and somehow more powerful. It might just be a combination of the heads, tungsten plug and the C-Tapers, but I can definitely see a more penetrating flight and perhaps a couple of yards more per club. Feel is really nice and confidence-inspiring...distance control pretty much dialled in from the start. C-Tapers feel ‘smoother’ than S300s on full shots, but I worry that they will be harder to control on partial shots...time will tell. Will get a few more rounds in before the season properly starts in March with a 4 day links-fest in South Wales.

Radius Classic 8

I walked into the local second hand shop after New Year and immediately my eyes lighted upon a set of Mizuno TN-87s, 2-PW, in pretty good condition with S400 shafts and good grips. Price OK, certainly better than any I've seen on the net. Gave them a quick whack in the net, liked them in the long and medium irons particularly, and asked the shop to keep them for me for a couple of days to mull over.

Walk in the next day a little before closing time, and noticed a set of Cally Protos, 3-PW, with S400 shafts and excellent grips for under $100. One shaft is a bit rusty, but playable, and the rest are fine.

What to do...? I went back the next day (today) to hit them alongside the TN-87s, and ended up saying I didn't want the Mizunos, but asked them to keep the Callaways for me. I reckon I'll trade in a couple of clubs and pick up the Callaways tomorrow or the day after.

The reason I turned the TN-87s down? Too short. The PW was the standard 35", and that and the 9i just play too short for me. I also didn't like the offset much in the short irons. The middle and long irons were great (loved the 2i), but the Cally Protos also felt great, and the PW (48*, I think), is 35.5" so it'll fit in better with my new Cleveland RTX4 forged wedges, which I got at 35.5" in both the 52* and 58*.

@No_Catchy_Nickname I finally replaced the LW
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/238/V33PW3221DCQ.jpg[/img]The old guy was a bit tired
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/776/8ZAYWGRR5818.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/980/UZ9TS8VURS5O.jpg[/img]

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Got to take them and get them up! Hopefully do it over the Bank Holiday weekend, but I'm playing tomorrow, and going to watch a rugby game on Sunday.

I'm also looking at swapping my Yoro MP4s for a non-Yoro set of MP4s that has carbon shafts (Attas 115X) and are half an inch over standard length. While the Yoro MP4s look great, the PW feels like a lollipop stick, and I'd prefer to play clubs that set up right for me.

I saw pics of your new wedge and your Old Faithful in the New Purchases thread. Impressive stuff. Is that sole wear purely from use, or did you grind it at all? Judging by the face, I'd guess it's from use only, but I'm just amazed that the loft number has been worn away. It must be a good few grams lighter now then when you first bought it.

Welcome to the X Proto club! I think you'll be impressed by them Who's playing on Sunday? Local league?

It will be sad to see those Yoro MP 4's go but I hear you, rather have the right setup. Interested to hear your thoughts on the graphite shafts v steel.

The wear is all from playing and practice, never took a grinder to it at all. I got asked the same question the other day and the chap was amazed to find out I hadn't taken a grinder to it It is definitely lighter, I actually didn't realize by how much until I got the new one, it feels like a sledgehammer to me which is strange but it's nice having actual grooves again...

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

The X-Protos are a set I've been wanting for a while. This one was just too good to pass up, even over the TN-87s. I traded some old wedges and stuff in, and ended up paying about $30US for them, so I'm more than happy.

I'm pretty curious about trying graphite shafts in irons. The Attas 115X are pretty stout, and I did not feel I had to make any compensations. Also, the graphite-shafted clubs weighed in at 10g less than my Yoros with Modus 125X shafts; which means they should be better for my back.

The rugby is domestic league. There's a team near me that's in the top league (as of this season, I think), and I have been wanting to go watch the for a while. Now my little daughter is into rugby (I took her to the England-Australia quarter final match, and she enjoyed the whole experience), it's easy to make it a family day out. The match is in the same stadium where I watched France play America in the group stages of the World Cup, and it's not too hard to get to; better than the quarter final venue which was a nightmare.

Now for important matters. That old wedge is just amazing. I've seen wear, and I've seen wear-spots, but I've never seen the sole worn down that much by just use alone. I did a self-custom grind on an old Cally X-Jaws 58* once, and as part of that, I ground off the numbers on the toe of the sole, but it took me a fair few minutes with an electric belt grinder to get to the sort of state your wedge is in

• Like 1

Played this last Saturday with my regular group at a course I'd never played before in Saga Prefecture. We were lucky to get some great weather; at first it was a a bit cold and cloudy, but it was dead calm, then by the afternoon we got a slight breeze--about half a club's worth--but warmer temperatures and sunshine. Couldn't ask for more.

I was playing with my FG62s (5-PW), and I also put my new Cleveland RTX4 Forged wedges into play (52* and 58*).

I've been fighting a flip ever since I started playing again in September after my hernia. In fact, I think I was doing it before the injury, just to a lesser extent. Basically, I'm afraid of turning the hips too much in case I hurt myself again, so subconsciously I am stopping my hips in the downswing, which means my hands get ahead and I flip the club, usually leading to massive pull hooks. To prevent this, I found shortening the backswing to be a good short-term solution, but it also results in a loss of power. Still, that better than hooking the ball OB.

So, front nine I played OK, some nice iron shots in particular, including a 5i over water (3-putted for bogey...), a nice 8i on a downhill lie on 9 over water. The line was great, but it rolled out too much to leave a viable birdie chance. Also, a nice high soaring 7i on a short par 3 over water to within 10ft. Missed the birdie putt, though. Ended with a 38 with 18 putts.

Then, we had a lunch break of nearly an hour and half. The course was packed, so it was backed up, although we got through the first nine in just under 2 hours 15 mins, which isn't bad for a foursome in one cart and cart-path only.

By the time we started the back nine, my muscles had started to stiffen up, and the flip returned. I managed to limit the damage by about the 5th hole, but it never fully went away, and I closed with a 44 for an 82.

Irons were the best part of the game, followed by the short game. My tee game was OK in that I didn't have any serious misses, but with my flipping I'm not getting my old distance. Putting was terrible, but we all struggled on the greens. First, the practice green was noticeably slower than the actual greens, so it took us a while to adjust. Second, every putt was pretty much straight! It wasn't just me, we all said this. We were all reading break into putts that wasn't there. Never putted on greens like that; if anything, it's usually the other way round.

I think over winter, I need to strengthen my lower back, and get over my mental block about turning my hips. If I turn properly, it doesn't actually hurt at all, I just have to convince myself of that.

• Like 1

One more thing. I traded in my Yoro MP4s today...for more MP4s.

The Yoros had Modus 125X shafts in them at standard length, or just a little under, which means a PW at 35.5" (to the end of the grip when I measured it). The short irons felt too short for me, and the shafts really, really stiff until about the 7i. In fact, I loved the feel of the Modus 15s in the middle and long irons, but hated in the short ones. Recently, I noticed a 4-PW of MP4s in great condition with Attas 115X shafts at +0.5" over standard, so the PW starts at 36". My god, it felt so much better at address.

Static weight was 10g lighter than the Yoro with Modus shafts, but the swing weight is 2 points heavier. I'll probably need to adjust the lofts a little so they blend in with my wedges.

I'd like to stick to the PW-52*-58* setup if possible.

• Like 1