Live View Golf: Real Time, Wireless Swing Camera

Don't take this personally but that's pretty lame. What's stopping you from streaming from two cameras at the same time? Data throughput, bluetooth?

Actually it is really a User Interface issue. The current architecture has the camera acting as the hotspot. When the iPad connects to the camera the camera becomes the wifi host. It is not possible to connect to two wifi hosts at the same time. In order to connect a second camera, you have to pair the second camera to the first camera using the first camera's network. To make operation simple and intuitive, the camera just turns on and off. Adding pairing functionality would add significant complexity and is one of the reason bluetooth devices are generally not well received. We could add some "autodetect" code that would pair a second camera onto the network of the first as soon it sees it, but if more than one user is on the driving range, you could get paired into another user's session. Now you have to add UI to figure out when to pair and unpair.

It is a solvable problem for sure, and it is part of our product roadmap, but this is the first version of this camera and I think there is enough functionality without allowing multi pairing.

Thank you for your input

PS. The recorded video can be played back in slow motion and frame by frame.

Thanks for the explanation. At this point it's probably not for me but keep working at it and make it better. There is some potential there.

Having owned one myself for about a month now, I'd say it's for anybody who values mirror work to improve their swing. I've considered getting a second one for both views but, like Shane, I really find that one is just fine. I do setup a mirror face-on sometimes in conjunction with the DTL camera and I'm not convinced that having the second camera view is so critical for me. But just one camera is FAR superior to the mirror work I've been doing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a nice product, but you can also do the same with many action cameras that support wifi or ustream streaming, or with a a long usb cable to a laptop

I used a GoPro Silver+ before I built Live View Golf and found that most action cameras are built on the concept of maximum image quality for archive purposes. Because they emphasize image quality, they give up lag and you end up standing there for 2-3 seconds trying to hold a pose while the video catches up. The average human reaction time to a visual stimulus is about 0.3 seconds, so anything over 0.5 seconds becomes disassociated from the muscle memory that you are trying to build.

Using a Hard wired laptop with a USB camera might be an option if your setup is stationary but you loose the portability to the range as you now have to lug a laptop, a and 20 feet of USB cabling to the range.

Finally, the Swing Tools app is the most important piece of this. if you record using the native GoPro streaming app you loose the ability to draw in alignment planes and the video review becomes incredibly painful as you have to first export each video, import into some compatible golf app, wait for the import and then review it.

When I first started Live View Golf, I used video a lot to fix my swing, and maximizing the portability of the system was a main design goal. Because I enjoy walking when playing, I like to keep my bag as light as possible and with the current design, the Live View Golf camera is light enough to always keep in my bag. As they say the best tool is always the one you have with you, and by designing something that can always stay in your bag, it is always there whenever you are working on something and want to see your swing.

looks like a nice product, but you can also do the same with many action cameras that support wifi or ustream streaming, or with a a long usb cable to a laptop

I used a GoPro Silver+ before I built Live View Golf and found that most action cameras are built on the concept of maximum image quality for archive purposes. Because they emphasize image quality, they give up lag and you end up standing there for 2-3 seconds trying to hold a pose while the video catches up. The average human reaction time to a visual stimulus is about 0.3 seconds, so anything over 0.5 seconds becomes disassociated from the muscle memory that you are trying to build.

Using a Hard wired laptop with a USB camera might be an option if your setup is stationary but you loose the portability to the range as you now have to lug a laptop, a and 20 feet of USB cabling to the range.

Finally, the Swing Tools app is the most important piece of this. if you record using the native GoPro streaming app you loose the ability to draw in alignment planes and the video review becomes incredibly painful as you have to first export each video, import into some compatible golf app, wait for the import and then review it.

When I first started Live View Golf, I used video a lot to fix my swing, and maximizing the portability of the system was a main design goal. Because I enjoy walking when playing, I like to keep my bag as light as possible and with the current design, the Live View Golf camera is light enough to always keep in my bag. As they say the best tool is always the one you have with you, and by designing something that can always stay in your bag, it is always there whenever you are working on something and want to see your swing.

thanks for the information!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

really interest in purchasing, does live view golf have auto play back like JVC video, if not is it in the works for auto play back for future updates. Also can I get a coupon code for a discount thanks.

Second for this functionality, I do know you guys are improving the app constantly as well. I couldn't find it, but isn't there a coupon code floating around here somewhere? I'd like to get an order in.

Seems like a lot of money for low res video and substandard wifi. If they can fit 802.11n in an iPhone 6/7 along with a hi-res camera they should be able to fit it into this device, especially given the price.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Seems like a lot of money for low res video and substandard wifi. If they can fit 802.11n in an iPhone 6/7 along with a hi-res camera they should be able to fit it into this device, especially given the price.

Agreed, the video isn't the greatest, I definitely think it's possible to improve on the current performance and idea, and I think they're trying to do that. However, at the time, this is the only product I can find that provides a "live feed" of your swing and allows you to add in lines, shapes, etc in the live feed. I'm honestly surprised this is the first of its kind considering its 2017 and the technology we have available.

I'm kind of new to golf, definitely new to any golf coaching, so I found this product after looking for a home version of something like GolfTec. I've played sports my whole life, and video feedback has always been the best tool for improving technique for me. I've been recording my reps while I work on basics, and it's a pain to not have a live feed or immediate playback.

Agreed, the video isn't the greatest, I definitely think it's possible to improve on the current performance and idea, and I think they're trying to do that. However, at the time, this is the only product I can find that provides a "live feed" of your swing and allows you to add in lines, shapes, etc in the live feed. I'm honestly surprised this is the first of its kind considering its 2017 and the technology we have available.

I'm kind of new to golf, definitely new to any golf coaching, so I found this product after looking for a home version of something like GolfTec. I've played sports my whole life, and video feedback has always been the best tool for improving technique for me. I've been recording my reps while I work on basics, and it's a pain to not have a live feed or immediate playback.

The idea is great, but VGA resolution and 20 fps just seems archaic for a new product on the market. I'll wait for the next version.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The idea is great, but VGA resolution and 20 fps just seems archaic for a new product on the market. I'll wait for the next version.

The more I watch video on the product, the more I agree with you. For almost $200 you're paying for an outdated camera with an app that can draw on a live feed. This wouldn't be hard to replicate and improve upon according to some other forums, nobody else has done it yet though and brought it to market. The price point seems a bit off right now considering I can use Hudl Technique for free. Less than $100 and I'd buy in, and deal with the limitations.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was disappointed with the delay and the frames per swing. It goes from the top of the backswing to post-impact so you can’t really see any club/body positions in between which was the whole purpose of getting it. The mirror mode is also pointless as there is about a 2-second delay. I find myself using my phone camera still because I guess it gets more frames per second (Google Pixel 3a).