Worst Shot You Ever Had

DJGainer

I think I posted one before, but I have a new one. A few weeks ago I was 1 over through 17 holes, on pace to smash my best score of 79. Shanked a 6 iron approach into a pond, leading to a triple bogey on 18 for a 76. Worst shot of the last year by a large margin because of the significance.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

> I think I posted one before, but I have a new one. A few weeks ago I was 1 over through 17 holes, on pace to smash my best score of 79. Shanked a 6 iron approach into a pond, leading to a triple bogey on 18 for a 76. Worst shot of the last year by a large margin because of the significance.

So you were on pace for a 79, tripled the last hole and carded three shots better? Aren't you in one of my regular golf groups?

> @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > @Mych said:

> > I think I posted one before, but I have a new one. A few weeks ago I was 1 over through 17 holes, on pace to beat my previous best score (79). Shanked a 6 iron approach into a pond, leading to a triple bogey on 18 for a 76. Worst shot of the last year by a large margin because of the significance.

> So you were on pace for a 79, tripled the last hole and carded three shots better? Aren't you in one of my regular golf groups?

>

No, I was on pace for a 73 (1 over). My best prior to that was a 79, so I was about to smash my personal best by 5+ strokes until the triple. Still set a new personal best at 76, but that hosel rocket stole a couple of strokes.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

> > @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > > @Mych said:

> > > I think I posted one before, but I have a new one. A few weeks ago I was 1 over through 17 holes, on pace to beat my previous best score (79). Shanked a 6 iron approach into a pond, leading to a triple bogey on 18 for a 76. Worst shot of the last year by a large margin because of the significance.

> > So you were on pace for a 79, tripled the last hole and carded three shots better? Aren't you in one of my regular golf groups?

> >

>

> No, I was on pace for a 73 (1 over). My best prior to that was a 79, so I was about to smash my personal best by 5+ strokes until the triple. Still set a new personal best at 76, but that hosel rocket stole a couple of strokes.

Gotcha. I was playing lights out at a tournament recently until my mind locked up and I tripled the last three holes. Still finished in third place, and I have a story about 'the one that got away'.

Funniest Shot - Wet fairway, 3-hybrid, topped the ball so badly I put spin on it. The ball pops up in the air above my head, spin takes it backwards and it lands 5 feet behind me. The spin then takes it forward and it comes to rest in the ball indentation it made in the mud at my feet.

Worst shot - 1st tee, out of breath from running to make the tee-time. Two high right shots over the trees and over the two lane road. I decide to take a drop 150 out. I proceed to shank the 7i over the road into an oncoming cars windshield. The dread of watching and knowing what was about to happen, the sound of impact, the panicked screeching of tires. And the exchange of insurance info...was the worst.

> @DJGainer said:

> What's the worst shot you've ever had? Maybe it's missing a 2 footer for your personal best or shanking the ball on the first tee, but mine was rocketing a drive through the reception tent I was to be married in later that day. I'm curious to what everyone else has experienced.

Hitting the ladies tee marker directly in front of me.

Easily my favorite shot is also my worst shot.

After talking a huge game with my coworkers about shooting +12 within my first 4 months of playing golf they decided that it was time to take a look at my golf game. First time ever playing with my coworkers and on the first tee everyone gets ready. Me having the ego similar to Megamind I decide that practice swings are for amateurs and went straight to the tee. Everyone hits a fairly good drive straight down the fairway and when it came to my turn. I take a backswing that I've never hit before and BOOM.

Chunked right behind the ball. Completely missed it. My perfect drive.

Using my 50* CBX for the first time and I had no idea what my carry yardage was with it, so I just thought maybe 100 yards. Middle fairway on the 18th I set up about 95 yards from the pin with about a 70 yard gap to clear water. Maybe 20 yards behind the pin is a patio with patrons watching shots in and the clubhouse with massive windows. I thinned one like I've never thinned before right online with the windows. Fortunately it stayed up long enough to go off the roof of the clubhouse so I could walk past the crowd as red as could be.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

This happened in high school golf tryouts back in 2005. Kid was playing in my group on the 4th hole - he wasn't very good and did no have much of a chance to make the team. Long, dogleg left par 4. Hits his drive in the right rough where there is a tree line. He is about 6 yards behind a tree, pretty skinny trunk so tries to hit a low punch left of the tree out into the fairway. Rips the hell out of this 5 iron right into the tree and it ricochets directly back into his crotch and he just drops to the ground immediately. Ends up rolling around screaming for what seemed like 2 minutes to the point where he was always crying. Still one of the funniest things that I have witnessed on a golf course.

• 2 months later...

I was playing a scramble at one of my favorite courses, Oak Ridge, in Brazil, IN. the 13th hole is a 93 yd par 3 over a little valley. After having had a few drinks before getting to the hole, lets just say I was feeling loose. I was the last of the group to tee off, everyone else either landed in front or to the right of the green. I grabbed my PW teed up, and smacked the ball. It landed on the green and rolled to about 6 inches from the hole. Long story short...I MISSED A 6" BIRDIE PUTT!

• 2 months later...

*bump* Was playing last Saturday with some friends. One of the guys' shots ended up well left on a 160 yard par 3. His chip shot was short, ended up in a bunker, rolled forward, hit the rake and vanished. Luckily  I saw it, as he couldn't from where he was. Turns out it rolled into an exposed drainage pipe in the bunker, where it remains. None of us was willing to reach down there to root around for it. Not easy to lose a ball on a par 3.

It's not the worst shot I've ever hit by any stretch but it's one that sticks out in my memory. I'm coming down the stretch of a tournament and i'm 2 under standing on 16 and it's been a while since i've posted a below par round in competition. I know as soon as I get just one round under par i'll be back in the driver seat ready to do it again next week. Im standing on the tee of this par 3 that plays about 180 yards and its in to the wind and i'm in between 6 and 5 iron. There is water long so i decide to hit 6 hard with the idea that short is better than long. I make excellent contact and look up and my ball is traveling literally 60-70 yards left of my target, into someones back yard and out of bounds. It was the worst snap hook i've ever hit and to my memory it is the only time in my life that I've hit a ball out of bounds on a par 3. I think I ended up making triple and wound up finishing +1 on the day and was completely demoralized for the next 12 hours. Those out of bounds stakes never once came into my mind until that ball was in the air. I still have no idea how I was able to pull hook a 6 iron that far left. Unbelievable.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

No doubt we've all had some seriously bad shots, but who retains them? After walking off 18, I remind myself what not to do (the worst) in the future, then forget the worst and finish with a review the best shots and replay them to ingrain the best.

Remember, recalling negative result is like looking in the wrong direction from where you want to hit the ball. The ball is going where you're looking not at the target.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

High school golf has some amazing memories. Cold wet rainy PNW golf practice round and my opponent hits an unintentional stinger that hits the ladies tee marker 15 yards in front of us (8inch wood post with metal spike on the bottom), ball goes 20yds behind us into the woods OB and the tee marker flips up in the air a few times and sticks back in the ground spike down.

I whiff a few shots completely every year without fail.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Playing at the Ocean Course. 12th hole approach, with the green built right up against a lake to the right. Pin tucked away on the right by the water. I have a 20 foot chip from the front of the green. My caddie was standing (balancing) on a thin wooden plank between the green and the water, directly to the right of the flag. I shank my shot badly, it goes flying off to the right toward the water....my heart sinks, and then my caddie reaches out and snags it out of the air with his hand. In one motion he smoothly cleans my ball and tosses it back with a wink. Ill always remember that.

I've hit a lot of really bad shots over the 40+ years I've been playing. The one that comes to mind happened a little over a year ago. I, along with a group of friends were playing in a Ryder Cup style event at a golf club in Michigan (tOSU v. Michigan/Michigan State). I was our teams number 2 man, but was in the process of a swing change during the season. The first match I was playing with our number 1 man and on the first hole of the match, I teed off second. I proceeded to hit the ball 6 inches in front of the tee, into the ground, and it popped back out right in front of my tee. Thankfully no one was videoing. There was a shocked silence and then laughter, including myself.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Mine is easy. I was an assistant pro back in 2008 and also trying to Monday qualify for some pro tourneys. I recently started dating a girl and her father expressed interest in playing with me because people had told him I was "good". Step up on the first tee and I straight-up whiffed the driver. No idea what happened or how it happened. For some reason I was so nervous since he was the father of my girlfriend. Pretty sure I shot close to 90 that day.

It's all good - won a pro-am with him not long after that. Don't date the girl anymore, still play with him 4-5 times a year when he's in town.

I somehow hit a car right smack in the middle of their driver's side door on the fly while it was moving. To this day I have no idea how I was able to do that.

Ping G430 LST 9* HZRDUS Smoke Red 65S

Taylormade Sim 2 Titanium 3 wood Tensei Blue 75S

Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.0 70g

Ping i230 Irons 4-UW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 56/08 M

Titleist Vokey SM9 60/04 T

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 34" 340g

Beer.

-4 through 11 holes in my first USGA mid-am qualifier. Made 2 bad bogeys on 12 and 13 but my head was still in it and i knew i was still in. Made a couple clutch par putts and on the 17th hole all I needed to do was put a driver down the middle and not miss right. I did and made bogey to miss by 1. That 1 bad swing cost me a nice trip down to Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a young kid playing in Texas with a Ben Hogan 3 wood that I had saved up for. LOVED the club. Played it well and took pride in the fact that I bought it with my own, earned money. Although it was the summer in Texas and we had just wrapped up walking 18, my brother and I decided to play another 9. I was on the first tee and sweat was pouring off me. My 3 wood flew out of my hands during my follow through and into the middle of the pond behind me. I stared at the ripples in the pond debating the risk of water moccasins if I swam in to try and retrieve my treasured club. It was a very sad day.

I have Wiffs , double touch chips, skulls, hosel rockets, I’ve hit a bird mid flight, a grounded goose, a chipmunk, my brother, my dad, my buddy Rays car, golf carts, . Those Green utility boxes on many occasions, I’ve bent shafts, had a four wood head fly off into a lake, hit rocks, roots and concrete. I hit the window of the 19th hole at Bethpage. So I’ve been everywhere man

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Company scramble our 1st hole is a par 3 uphill, only real bailout is 25 yards short as the a trap in front. And a 4 lane road to the right. My group decides our tee order should be B D C A While I was celebrating cinco de drinko with the B group on the hole.

opened our round with el hosel right into the side of a truck