2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monte's efficient swing

i*windows

The conclusion i came to recently is that i personally need in-person lessons vs. me trying to learn from videos. With videos, i had been practicing drills and probably performing some of them decently.

But during one in-person lesson with Monte, he quickly diagnosed not just the symptoms of my swing issues but the main root causes. I had originally thought my main issue was being too steep and over the top but that was more of a symptom than the actual root cause. I learned that my backswing was an issue because of improper hip rotation. After getting the proper feel for the hip rotation, my backswing improved and i immediately started to swing more shallow without focusing on shallowing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Saw Monte's post on Instagram with a discount code JUSTDOTHAT and purchased last night. Watched it in its entirety last night to get the idea, doing each of the drills in front of the computer a couple times to get an initial idea of some feels. Had felt some before/seen some similar drills but the lower body transition drills gave me some ahha moments (made it already worth the money). "Sitting on a stool" especially made it click.

Went out to the range today and worked thru segment 1 (was already pretty close to the right position at P1) and segment 2 over a couple large baskets. Definitely helpful so far and first time I've gone out and taken constant video to check up on it. Really noticed how much farther I go when the aim was club parallel or left arm parrallel, took awhile to tone that down to get to the desired position. Will continue to work on those segments and gradually start work on the transitions.

Any one seen and update on the setup videos?

• 3 months later...

Figured this was the perfect place for a first post.

Purchased this a few days ago. Last year when I discovered Monte's YouTube treasure trove, I quickly realized that not only were the ideas logical, helpful, etc., but the communication of those ideas was far better than a lot of instruction I've seen (or was given in person with an instructor I wouldn't put anywhere close to bad). As someone who's peaked at a 14, six years ago and has only gotten worse -- even though I put more time in now, something had to change.

Efficient Swing is a marvel for me, even before I try to take anything to the range. The idea of creating content that tells you what to do, not what to fix is fantastic. Self diagnosing your faults can be a difficult thing, especially if you're trying to do it off feel alone, and so going with Efficient Swing over Drive 4 Dough for where I'm at was a no brainer. I love the combination of things here too. There's plenty of exaggeration drills you wouldn't take to the course, but there's also things like left arm parallel, and for me, transition push hook or left shoulder down, that absolutely have a place within a round when you need something to ground you.

It's been said a lot already, but anyone still on the fence about this, make the purchase. If you're much better than me, there's a drill for everything you may know is already wrong with your swing, and if you're like me or worse than me, it's a back to fundamentals that doesn't feel taxing, it just feels good.

Probably have my eyes on use the bounce next, even though I'm pretty comfortable with my wedge game.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been hitting the ball terribly lately, including stretches of living dangerously close to (and on) the hosel.

Watched the first two sections last night. Practiced the moves in the house for an hour or so. Went to the range today and worked on the drills through a large bucket. Took a break, bought another bucket and started making some of the most powerful and consistent contact in a long time.

Two segments in and it's already been worth it, can't wait to get through the whole thing.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Jack1987 said:

Also wondering, does Monte teach you to shape the ball in his efficient swing series? 

No

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

3 hours ago, Jack1987 said:

Cool thanks for the feedback. I’m stuck between Shawn Clement, Monte Scheiblum and Rotary swing. But from what I’m seeing people really rate Monte above the rest. 

I think Monte strikes that perfect balance between enough theoretical info and on-point instructions. Also, he has a simple and aesthetic swing and can hit it 300+ at age 50+, which is enough reason to trust his teachings.

While I like Shawn Clement and his sometimes unusual and eye-opening angles (on the grip, for example), he just talks a little too much. 

Consider the „No turn cast“ video as a perfect complement to the Efficient swing series. It covers a lot of what you might be missing- pre and post impact movements (wrist, arms etc.).

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

The thing with Monte is he explains things in a way I can understand. He, at least I feel this way, stresses that there is an acceptable range with the various motions. You do not need to be exactly 'here' at this point in the swing. You just need to be 'between here and here and you're fine, but if you are here or here instead you will need to compensate'.

There are many ways to do things and like @LukeDonaldsTigersaid, Monte has a good blend of technical and being able to make it understandable. I have never felt like what I have seen in any of his videos didn't make sense but YMMV.

So reading the majority of both Monte threads, I have a question, if you could only buy 1, would you buy The No Turn Cast or the Efficient Swing?  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

If you are set on just one, get the efficient swing. The no turn cast is sort of the abridged version 

Thanks for the reply and the insight.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

9 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

I think Monte strikes that perfect balance between enough theoretical info and on-point instructions. Also, he has a simple and aesthetic swing and can hit it 300+ at age 50+, which is enough reason to trust his teachings.

While I like Shawn Clement and his sometimes unusual and eye-opening angles (on the grip, for example), he just talks a little too much. 

Consider the „No turn cast“ video as a perfect complement to the Efficient swing series. It covers a lot of what you might be missing- pre and post impact movements (wrist, arms etc.).

Thanks so much for your response. I think I’m definitely going to give monte a go based on what I’m hearing. Thanks 

8 hours ago, bortass said:

The thing with Monte is he explains things in a way I can understand. He, at least I feel this way, stresses that there is an acceptable range with the various motions. You do not need to be exactly 'here' at this point in the swing. You just need to be 'between here and here and you're fine, but if you are here or here instead you will need to compensate'.

There are many ways to do things and like @LukeDonaldsTigersaid, Monte has a good blend of technical and being able to make it understandable. I have never felt like what I have seen in any of his videos didn't make sense but YMMV.

Thanks so much. Yea I really prefer to base things on feel etc. And having some space to work with like you say sounds really good. 

11 hours ago, Jack1987 said:

Also wondering, does Monte teach you to shape the ball in his efficient swing series? 

Shaping shots is covered in his "Call Your Shot" video.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

16 hours ago, Krt22 said:

If you are set on just one, get the efficient swing. The no turn cast is sort of the abridged version 

I wouldn't say NTC is "abridged."  I would say it's a few select core pieces from Efficient Swing that fit together into a swing "system."  Think "Stack and Tilt" just not as dogmatic. 

Also, Monte has said the core pieces of NTC serve to "zero out" several key measurements of swing models of many pros.  That is, it allows amateurs to achieve key swing measurements of pro players.  These are the kind of measurements picked up by Boditrak (pressure shift), Hackmotion (wrist and hand movements), and GEARS (club and body dynamics).

Edited by games
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jack1987 said:

Is it just me or is there nothing on impact in the efficient swing series? 

Impact is a result of everything that happens before it. Realistically speaking, there isn't much you can consciously do to change impact once you start your transition. The NTC series does touch a bit more on the release, but again those thoughts/feels happen early in transition

1 hour ago, Jack1987 said:

How long would you put up with horrendous strikes before you would expect to see some improvement? 

If you followed it to the tee and hit every position at P2, P3, P4 before moving on to the next step (ie verified on video),you will not have horrendous strikes for long.  If you are not taking video, go and do that and see where you stand. If you are hitting all of those positions (or at least think you are), I would fully recommend a online or face-time lesson with Monte to see where you are getting off-track. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just recently purchased and have working on the swing. Monte’s definitely helped my transition. No more EE there and club is shallowing nicely with a squareish face (still working on this feel). I only wish he had more drills for the hip movement in the backswing. Still struggling with getting and keeping my right hip back. Other than that, I’d definitely say this video series is worth the money and then some. Monte teaches the swing and doesn’t over complicate it. My favorite thing may be how he has multiple drills/feels for you to try each one and see which ones work best for you.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:01 PM, NotSoSmoothSwinging said:

Just recently purchased and have working on the swing. Monte’s definitely helped my transition. No more EE there and club is shallowing nicely with a squareish face (still working on this feel). I only wish he had more drills for the hip movement in the backswing. Still struggling with getting and keeping my right hip back. Other than that, I’d definitely say this video series is worth the money and then some. Monte teaches the swing and doesn’t over complicate it. My favorite thing may be how he has multiple drills/feels for you to try each one and see which ones work best for you.

Explore this:

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag