Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

> @LeftDaddy said:

> Yep. I’ve modified the program ever so slightly to add in some elements that are specifically areas of need for me. For example, I have issues with headaches and doc said it was tightness in shoulders/neck; plus, I’ve had a nasty case of tennis elbow for almost 9 months now, and finally I have a swing fault where my hips don’t turn until after impact...so I’ve added or modified some exercises to work on those areas.

>

> And I didn’t start the program for speed gains. It just gave me a routine to work on, where I could also add in some of my own elements, and I figured it would just help me at golf overall. Speed would have been a happy byproduct. I’m definitely longer now than I was a month ago, and longer than I remember being last summer!

What modifications to deal with the tennis elbow did you do? Suffer as well...

Bought the program as well, due to the excellent testimonials here. I'll sub out the stronglifts/starting strength parts, as I already have a pretty decent foundation of doing compound lifts. Currently following Athlean X, although I've taken a break from the actual program and utilize stuff from his Youtube channel, since pressing doesn't seem to agree with my tennis elbow. Slowly getting better tho. The Athlean X stuff should work well with this program since it has a big focus on athleticism, so I recommend everyone to check it out as well. Jeff Cavaliere is probably the most well regarded Youtube-fitness personality (even if that expression mostly has a negative connotation) , and has a background from Baseball as well.

But the med ball exercises seems great, as well as the mobility and MFR-stuff. I've been using a lacrosse ball and a foam roller for years, but not to the extent presented in the program. So I'll try to add that to my regular lifting routine.

The speed stuff is great, I just have to overcome the stigma of standing in a public field, outside of where I live, swinging a golf club. But I'm also waiting on a Twitch Trainer, so maybe I'll do the exercises with that instead of a club. The movements are similar anyway, of course.

Anyway, excited to get started. I think the biggest positive for me will be learning motor patterns and movements that will be applicable on my golf swing, as I struggle with an OTT move that leads to very inconsistent wood play.

Starting point this season is 93 mph 7 iron, and 109 mph driver.

• Like 1

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

Tennis elbow: physical therapist gave me some exercises to work on for my shoulders, plus I do a theraband exercise. The three shoulder exercises are (1) stand with back and butt against wall and arms in a “field goal is good” pose, and then slowly raise arms up high, and (2) stand against an open doorway with arms against door frame in the same “field goal” pose, and step in the doorway with one foot at a time to stretch arms / shoulders. And (3) is hard to explain. I put one arm behind my back and the other arm’s palm on top of my head, and pull my head down toward the opposite hip.

I do these instead of the arm raises.

Honestly, although my PT prescribed them, I’m not sure how helpful they are. The theraband exercises seem to have been really helpful though. I’ve been working on this tennis elbow for almost 9 months now and it is just getting to where it doesn’t bother me so much anymore.

Hmm, I do all of the stretches (maybe not regularly...). I'll incorporate them more often.

Mine's getting better as well, after a stint of NSAID, and some exercises. I've used this to some success, although at the same time as I was on NSAIDs so hard to isolate which, or both, contributed. [https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/](https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/ "https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/")

I've been doing this on and off as well. Can't hurt to be thorough I guess.

[https://youtube.com/watch?v=7kTNk3qEuLM](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kTNk3qEuLM "How to Fix Elbow Pain (ONE SIMPLE EXERCISE!)")

[https://youtube.com/watch?v=qTjDq3_D-FU](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTjDq3_D-FU "The Truth About Tennis Elbow (WHAT REALLY CAUSES IT!)")

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

• 1 month later...

Just another plug for the program...I mainly did it for the mobility improvements and thought it would be a good workout that could help me with my golf game. I wasn’t initially sold on the distance gains, but didn’t really care because that wasn’t necessarily why I started the program.

I’m almost “done” with it now (though I intend to continue it), and here are my results:

- I feel a bit more flexible and mobile, and my back no longer hurts if I really go after a swing

- I feel “stronger” and a little more “ripped”

- My golf game has gotten better (though I suspect that is from a variety of different things, but I modified Drive400 to add some exercises that worked on some specific faults I have)

- I’ve added about 2 clubs of distance and 15-20 yards off the tee. I now play almost exclusively a 3/4 swing with my irons yet need 1 LESS club than I would have two months ago. For example, we have a par 3 that I used to hit full 6 iron into. Now I swing a 3/4 7 iron and even that can be too long if I’m not careful. Also, I’ve now reached every par 5 on my home course in 2. Didn’t even attempt it for 3 of them in the past, but now if I hit a decent drive I’m definitely giving it a go. I played a round with a friend the other day that I hadn’t played with in a while. He couldn’t stop marveling at how long I had gotten. His home course has a long par 3 that everyone hits hybrid or 3 wood into. I reached it with a 3 iron and could have used a 4. I reached a par 5 that he hits driver-driver into, and only hopes to get to the front edge. I hit driver-3w and he couldn’t believe that I got there from where I was with a 3w.

The point isn’t for me to brag about my length (I swear!!!). I’m not WRX long at all!!! The point is that the program works if you follow it, and it is definitely worth the $.

> @LeftDaddy said:

> Just another plug for the program...I mainly did it for the mobility improvements and thought it would be a good workout that could help me with my golf game. I wasn’t initially sold on the distance gains, but didn’t really care because that wasn’t necessarily why I started the program.

>

> I’m almost “done” with it now (though I intend to continue it), and here are my results:

>

> - I feel a bit more flexible and mobile, and my back no longer hurts if I really go after a swing

> - I feel “stronger” and a little more “ripped”

> - My golf game has gotten better (though I suspect that is from a variety of different things, but I modified Drive400 to add some exercises that worked on some specific faults I have)

> - I’ve added about 2 clubs of distance and 15-20 yards off the tee. I now play almost exclusively a 3/4 swing with my irons yet need 1 LESS club than I would have two months ago. For example, we have a par 3 that I used to hit full 6 iron into. Now I swing a 3/4 7 iron and even that can be too long if I’m not careful. Also, I’ve now reached every par 5 on my home course in 2. Didn’t even attempt it for 3 of them in the past, but now if I hit a decent drive I’m definitely giving it a go. I played a round with a friend the other day that I hadn’t played with in a while. He couldn’t stop marveling at how long I had gotten. His home course has a long par 3 that everyone hits hybrid or 3 wood into. I reached it with a 3 iron and could have used a 4. I reached a par 5 that he hits driver-driver into, and only hopes to get to the front edge. I hit driver-3w and he couldn’t believe that I got there from where I was with a 3w.

>

> The point isn’t for me to brag about my length (I swear!!!). I’m not WRX long at all!!! The point is that the program works if you follow it, and it is definitely worth the $.

Beautiful, love to hear to it man. Congratulations on your success!

Rob.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have experience with Golf Body Blueprint (GBB) and LoadXplode (LXP) and I bought the Drive 400 program because it was so cheap and was curious of the overspeed protocols without using the superspeed sticks.

The Drive 400 program looks great and is pretty complete. I don't doubt that you would get great results with it and it's a great value for its price. 18Strong will usually do a deep discount on GBB every few months so you can get it for $67. LXP used to have a monthly membership you could cancel at any time, but they have since changed that to where you need to pay the full $297 for access to it. I was lucky that I just happened join LXP when they were changing the model, so I paid for a month and they then granted existing members free access to it for the next 6 months while they changed over to the new model.

Drive 400 looks to require a substantially longer time commitment per workout provided that you follow the instructions and do a proper warmup and cooldown. The GBB and LXP routines take about 30-45 minutes (which includes warmup and cooldown). Looking at the sets and rest periods between sets for Drive 400, I'd expect those workouts to take a lot longer than that assuming you do the complete routine including warmup and cooldown.

Drive 400 also "requires" a squat rack, barbells, and a spotter (at least for the strength portions). The other programs can be done entirely by yourself with (adjustable) dumbbells, resistance bands (or an adjustable cable machine), and some other things most people will have at their house.

All three programs focus on improving strength, mobility, and speed. Although, I'd say that Drive 400 is more strength focused, LXP is more focused on (advanced) mobility (Jason Glass has said that LXP could still be done in conjunction with a traditional strength routine with squats, deadlifts, etc.), and GBB is somewhere in between. LXP doesn't start "strength" training until week 9, but the first 8 weeks will still challenge almost everyone (your core in particular) because of all the compound movements. All of them have components to convert strength and mobility into speed.

I think all programs would work well, so it really comes down to whether they meet your individual requirements of cost, time, equipment, and ability to have a spotter on hand.

I am on week 5 of GBB and I'm not sure that I'll have the time or equipment available to do Drive 400 when I finish that program (no squat rack at my gym, I don't feel comfortable doing front squats to failure, and spotter access is limited due to how few people are at my gym when I'm there). I'll probably do a hybrid program where I'll replace the mobility days of GBB with LXP workouts and some of the medicine ball work from Drive 400.

Hey guys, first post with this new forum style and not sure how to reply to comments directly, but just letting you know, there haven't been any updates to the program just yet.

As far as mixing Drive 400 with other programs... if you have a strong understanding of strength training, it's doable. I don't believe any program is 100% perfect (unless fully customized to your individual needs based on several evaluations) so feel free to mix and match somewhat. I wouldn't overdo it though.

I designed Drive 400 to be modular... meaning, feel free to follow the program in its entirety (for maximum results) but if you don't have the time, by all means, pick and choose what areas to focus on based on your individual needs. Which by the way, you should try to have a solid understanding of. Honestly, the fastest way to improve in anything is to pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses and focus accordingly.

For some that may be to focus on the "Swing-Prep" portion of the Program (soft tissue work, stretching, nervous system activation, etc), for others it may be the Nutrition Program, others, the Med-Ball Program, and for others maybe just the Swing-Speed Drills. It just all depends.

I will say though, for $25, I'm very confident you will find something in there that you will like and benefit from.

Just a heads up, we have a lot of new stuff coming in 2020. We're really going to be putting out a lot of unique, very beneficial (yet always simple to implement) swing-speed and distance content on YouTube and Instagram, so if you haven't already, please give us a follow, we'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, good luck guys, Happy New Year and keep the questions coming.

Always happy to discuss!

Rob.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
@CR_PDG 35 years old, 6'1", 200 lb, and play at a high amateur level. Currently participate in Am events in arizona like State Am, etc. Typical tournament season is end of March through September. I have only been using the program since the beginning of the year so I haven't made that many gains but def made some progress.

I'm 65 years old and purchased the program 45 days or so ago. I hadn't played in 15 years (I used to be a 10 hcap), and the first time I went to the range I really couldn't hit the ball. The golf clubs seemed so heavy. I was almost grunting at the exertion of making the golf swing. I'd only put the club face on the ball about 1 out of 5 or 6 times. Ugh.

Even though I hadn't been playing golf, I had still been going to the gym. Sorta regularly. I hadn't lost much, if any strength in the normal exercises I'd do. But trying to hit a golf ball had definitely changed in those intervening years. I used to carry about 240 yards on my driver, at the beginning I'd barely carry 200.

The roller and lacrosse exercises were eye opening. My muscles felt like they were exploding when I first started doing them. Doing them now and I don't feel anything "creaking" like I did the first time.

All I do are the roller / lacrosse balls, whatever medicine ball stuff I can do indoors, and the beginning weight training. I haven't done any of the swing speed stuff, as I don't have a place to do them. I do the exercises 2 or 3 times a week.

I'm not going to say this program has been a miracle for me. But I will say this program has allowed me to place the clubface on the ball again. :-) Remember that I'm coming from a very low point in my flexibility / golf strength. I've played 18 holes twice since I've started the program. Shot 95 the first time and 93 the 2nd. I'm carrying my drives about 210, maybe 220.

The golf clubs still feel very heavy. The transition from the top of my backswing to the start of the downswing is difficult for me.

I don't have the balance I used to, so I'm afraid to use free standing barbell exercises. Instead I use these machines at the gym. Is this ok?

DD0KMKAYRHVS.jpg

UO6T434AS7KY.jpg

I'm glad I started this program. It's fun going out to the range / course again.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...
@Lobby that's great to hear! Keep it going. You'll continue to improve.
Honestly just use and do what you can. Those machines are fine... they work well for assistance type training. The Drive 400 Program is designed to be the ideal combination of training for swing-speed, athleticism, tissue quality, movement, etc, but everyone is unique in what they are able to do, both in terms of fitness and time, so just do as much as you can and stick with it as long as you can, and I promise you, you will definitely improve. Anything is better than nothing.
Great job Leo.

Rob.

• 2 months later...

I am really interested. What was your driver distance before and after? Did you do the nutrition part? What was that like.

I see PGA teachers on line selling systems on effortless power for older guys to hit it 300 yards etc. How they can fix everything and give you all this distance within 40 balls on the range. If I could get that I would fly

to their school in Orlando and pay them $1000.

My experience with the Drive 400 program.

Overall, would I recommend it? Yes - highly.

I bought it when it was $25, now appears to be $50, even still - a small price to pay. I have been using it for about 15 weeks, I tailed off the last 3 weeks or so.

I am 54, in good shape, always have been athletic. I have been golfing for about 25 years, have taken maybe 20 lessons in my life and consider myself a good student of the game - always looking to improve, understand the swing in general.

I used the rolling, stretching elements of the program in addition to my normal workout routine - it fits my lifestyle well with little disruption. The program offers a more structure routine applied to golf, which was good.

I did not dig into the strengthening elements yet.

I followed the swing program religiously for 12 weeks, every other day. Indoors, in my living room which has a vaulted ceiling - you need full swing space. Not sure I would be comfy doing this at a driving range. Felt odd at first until I got onto the movements.

As I progressed, I discovered some 'soft' benefits to this program. Again, I think because I was well educated on what to look for...swinging harder than normal highlighted feelings I have never felt before - pressure points, weight distribution, feelings when power is properly stored, the release, etc. I surely could not feel these things as well with a less than 100% swing. This to me is a huge benefit of the programs concept. I'm not sure if a person who may not understand the swing would get the same benefit.

Phase 3 drills were a bit more difficult to do with my limited indoor space, so I did kind of take a shortcut near the end.

I can see going thru the program again - start to finish and still get more benefits. I would also like to add the strength improvement module.

So - what were the results? Am I hitting the ball further?

Absolutely. Cannot say the definitive added distance, but without a doubt I am driving the ball further...if I had to guess - I'd say my average drives are +10-15 yards. I am also seeing many more big drives. Overall, more big drives and more distance on average. This carries over to irons as well, more yardage, more efficient swing.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Well, I have been dealing with minor physical issues the past 4 years or so - Had a neuroma (inflamed nerve) removed from my foot 2 years ago, now I have another one! Gives me foot pain, translates to knee and hip pain as well...and I have rotator cuff issues for years...that's age for you.

I feel the warm up / rolling routines definitely help to prepare me and keep me limber...gets me into a more regular routine to keep up with it. I was doing some lighter rolling and stretching prior as part of my normal workout routine, the program adds more and pushes me.

A few Ah-Ha moments my first time thru =

Really good balance improvements and focus on core strength. The key is efficient power vs swinging wildly. Focus on maintaining clubface control and trigger finger pressure on shaft (I pretty much cured a year+ long battle with occasional snapper hooks after going thru the program and paying attention to my mistakes...I am much much straighter now, better contact)Focus on maximum speed at impact, you can hear and feel it.Getting through the ballFor me, what I found but did not yet implement the first time thru =

Lower body pressure, more efficient weight shift, timingMore work on trigger finger pressure on shaftOverall tempo

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I need to start this back up again. I’ve been hesitant because I had spinal fusion surgery in January, and so have just been a bit careful about doing anything too strenuous. And oddly enough, the quarantine has made it harder for me to find the time for it. My wife and kids are at home 100% of the time now, and I’m way busier than I had been prior to the quarantine with work, etc. So long story short, I stopped the program when I suffered the pinched nerve last year and haven’t restarted.

But seeing this thread has made me realize that it is time to get back to it!

• 4 weeks later...