Maltby TS2

Popeye64

• 1 month later...

Well into Simulator season I have the 5,6,7 TS-2 in play and they have just been rock solid and a good reason I'm sitting at #1 on the money list.

What I dont have in the bag is the TS-1s. The closer gaps and the distance control of the MMB blacks just cannot be over looked. With the G-7 with the MMBs I just seem to have the exact iron for every distance. Yes I carry two 7 irons,,,, The TS-2s eat up the long shots. The bigger gaps between the TS-1s and the stronger lofts leaves a few places in my game that just can't be covered. Sure I still hit the green, I play very well with them, but im not all over the flag.

I tried like hell to stay with the new technology but it's just not ideal for me.

But,,,, the TS-2s are not going anywhere and that has never been in question. Plus anyone who hits them just says WOW.

They have quite a lot of help built into them. Purists will call them shovels. They have a decently long blade length and the muscle back part is almost built like a cavity. So they have some forgiveness built in. The design has been around for a while and once played it's tough to get them out of the bag. I'm a serious club ho and they keep coming back. Plus the finish wears extremely well so they wont wear out anytime soon.

Sometime in 2020 Maltby is supposed to have a blade in the works. One I hope they adopt the TS line sole with old school lofts. Also keep them a solid blade. Who knows.

TS2/DG105 combo is still solidly in the bag for next season. Nothing out there even tempting it.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

NG0Y2OXKNBF5.jpgI got home last night and got back into the sim. I was kind of curious as to where I was striking the ball. Guess I had nothing to be concerned about.

Love how the blended set does overall. The only real struggle is in keeping an MMB 6 iron in the bag or not. Hitting a baby fade it's a 180 club. The MMB 7 is a 168 ish club so it's a nice gap. I can get the TS-2 7 iron to go forever when I hit a draw, which is very easy to do. . But it's tough to ask for more out of the MMB 6.

Hey, was just reading some of the TS posts and saw you shafted yours with Steelfiber’s. What shafts did you use and how do they perform compared to steel? Due to hand pain I must move to graphite and am investigating various options. Currently play S- KBS Tours and X-Tour Concepts so am a bit concerned moving to lightweight graphite.

Ping G410 LST / Ventus TR Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 4H/ MMT 80

Srixon ZX7 4-PW / FujiPro TourSpec 115X

Cleveland 50/55/60 Zipcore Tour Rack / Recoil 115 F5

Scotty Phantom X 11.5

• 3 weeks later...

had to stop by and say thank you to ALLLLL of the input and work by popeye and dfinch and everyone else. This has been very helpful in both my understanding of equipment and helping me to make a wise decision on my next set of irons. It is a fascinating thread and has been both incredibly helpful and maddening. In fact, it's prompted me to create an account just to comment!

I used to be a pure fader of the golf ball, (hence the name), but after some setup and swing adjustments, I find that my miss is now a pull - pull draw. I can rarely cut the ball anymore, at least consistently, and this is starting to bug me as it's actually my preferred flight into the green. (some of this, I attribute to a shoddy re-gripping job done by my local golf galaxy, which is prompting me to close the face and take a strong grip).

I am coming from 2011 nike vr pro combo forged, and have "narrowed" to P760, P790, srixon 700-900 combo(s), TS-1s, and MAYBE Mizuno JPX919 forged/tour combo.

I LOVE the feel of the pure MB forged 8-PW of my current set but really don't like the 4-7 "combo-ed" CB. I'm a decent ball striker but not perfect. However, I did take my game from around a 30HCP to a 12 with the nike's so, I know it can be done (and if my putter and driver were a bit more consistent I'd be dangerous).

I'm hoping I can rely on you gentleman's opinion on what the best overall value is while also getting a slight tick in forgiveness (the nike vr pro combo #6 (s) has an MPF of 350) and distance, but still being able to work the ball; I personally believe every shot has some shape to it whether we want it or not (total Shawn Clement Disciple) - it may only be a yard or two - but it's still there.

I'm also trying to debate if I should just keep the 8-PW and replace my 4-7 with something...though my nike's are looking tired at this point..

I was basically sold on the TS-1's but after doing a bit more digging, the blade length has me concerned. If I'm fighting a pull, or a pull-draw, won't the larger blade make that more problematic?

has anyone had a difficult time fading the ball?

This is how the Srixon's and Mizuno's found their way back into the discussion. I have no intention of buying any set (save the TS-1's) new...

I'm also looking to stay under $700 bones at the top end and could go as low as $275 for a combo srixon z745/945 combo I found on ebay (new shafts and grips).

anyway, thanks again for all of the helpful info and for any feedback.

I would not worry about the blade length of the TS-1's. They are slightly( maybe an 1/8 of an inch) longer than the Apex Pro 16's they replaced in my bag. The look of the TS-1 is deceiving as they are not that big in comparison to other player type irons. As a matter of fact, to me, they look about the same size as the JPX 919 Tours.

My typical miss is a pull/pull hook and the only time I see those with my TS-1's is a user error. Get a 7 iron to try out, IMO you wont be disappointed.

This is a good question, apologies for not being more clear. My ultimate question is truly based on value. I was basically at the point of pulling the trigger on the TS-1's then started to get "(pre?)buyers-remorse"!

Started looking at the OEM's and the only comp I've seen on here is TS2 with TM P790. My question ultimately is, for my nuanced situation, (coming from nike vr combo's, believing in shape to every shot, wanting to recapture my fade etc) would it be a better value to get TS-1's new or get used JPX's/Srixon's/P760s. I have Maltby Wedges and love them, and think Maltby is doing an awesome thing here, I would be open to some other Maltby clubs but I just can't get over the look of the PTM's and TEs.

i hope that clarifies. I guess I'm looking for opinion of the guys that have the TS-1's vs. some other OEM's (used) besides just the p790 (though I did mention it)...I'm just confused lol!

Thanks golf!

That helps, I've been talking to one of the Golfworks guys, and we're just about ready to pull the trigger on a 7. I plan to go to GG and get a super basic fitting just to make sure I get the right "general specs" as I used Maltby's online tool, which is likely correct, but just want to be sure. Don't feel like spending a ton of money on a full blown fitting, just want to get 85% there. Perhaps on the next set...Wish there was some maltby fitters in the PDX area

Anyway, thanks for your advice, that really helps me feel better...

Actually, one more for you, since you came from the apex pro's, how would you describe the feel comparison between the two? and any other iron's you've hit? I plan to go hit some other clubs just for comp's sake and am trying to find the "Closest" comparison to see if I can get along with it...

Thanks in advance!

thank you for the detail here. That also helps my understanding. I was watching a video with Matt Blois and a gentleman that does fitting's in Canada (found them on Wisdom in Golf) and they were comping the p760 and the p790 and that guy said that "in theory" the longer blade would promote more "closing" of the face.

Based on what your saying, he was incorrect, and I appreciate the detail behind it. Like I said, this thread has done a number of things to advance my knowledge of the details!

thanks,

I prefer the feel of the TS-1's over my Apex Pro's, the TS-1 feels softer all around and the distance gains were nice too.

Before I purchased the TS-1's, I tested the MP-18' MBs, JPX 919 Tours (These are what made me buy the TS-1's), Apex MB's, I210's, P730's, and P770's. I knew what shaft, lie, and length I was fit for so I just ordered the TS-1's heads and put them together.

My final 2 clubs were the TS-1' and the JPX 919 Tours. For me they both felt similar and I got similar result so I when with the TS-1's and saved some money.

When you say a big part of this is value (which is true for most of us) it’s going to be hard to beat the TS1. I got my TS2s built with DG105 X100’s and my preferred grip, to the exact specs I wanted, for $599.99. I would have gone with TS1 normally but Popeye’s review between the two, specifically about the sole, convinced me to go with the wider sole due to our typical PNW conditions. They continue to be the best irons I’ve owned in 28 years of golf (and yes, I still yearn a little for the TS1s).

Finding an OEM set that meets your specs for that price is a challenge. Sole design matters to me so personally I think Srixon is the main OEM that I would look at if I was leaving Maltby, which I’m not. ?

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

You can test this! Take a golf club and grab it by the grip with 1 hand, head towards the ground. Now rotate your wrist and feel how the weight of the clubhead (cg) being away from the shaft affect the rotation. Now flip the club over and hold the head of the club, grip side down. The cg of the grip is perfectly in line with the rotating shaft, and it is much easier to rotate the shaft. MOI at work!

Of course now we are talking about 0.1cm differences in CG location and tiny adjustments in blade length, so in practice it will be very hard to tell. We are also ignoring CG location in the other horizontal axis (clubface to back of the club) but all things being equal that's how it works.

Yeah definitely new clubs to my specs is very appealing. I appreciate the thoughts and in general, The feedback from everyone has been great, and it's been fun to see the progress of everyone looking at the TS-2 vs. TS-1 debate.

I tend to be a sweeper and have found that even wedges with a thinner soul/bounce tend to favor my style, even out here! So, I think the TS-1's thinner soul will probably be ok; To my understanding it still maintains some of the characteristics of the TS-2 just a bit thinner.

It was the soul of the Srixon's and the (general perception of) the feel of the jpx's and the look of the p700's that were appealing respectively. But as has been essentially mentioned by most in this thread before, it seems the TS-1's are the best combination of all of those traits.

Still not 100% as I do intend to grab a 7 for testing, and still debating if I should get a split set, but the Golf works rep is pushing hard against that, feeling like the forgiveness of the TS-1 is still there, even in the long irons, but that coming from the VR combo's I would not like the ts-2 look.

I appreciate everyone jumping in and offering insight, from just pure information, to descriptions of personal experience etc, been SO helpful. Hopefully someday I can give back!

The debate over the TS series is a tough one for quite a few guys. The TS-1 is a sexy beast with that pure players look.

TS-2 is the sensible choice that's a good looking design but doesnt elicit that, hey what clubs are in your bag looks. But damn do they perform.

The only real reason the bottom of my bag went away from the TS-2s is because of gapping. The MMBs with 4° spacing fell into my sweet spot for most courses I play. 4° spacing allowed me to really nail the 160 and in with the 7-GW in near traditional lofts.. With the TS-2 and the TS-1 the gaps are bigger.between irons so I had to feather in some shots as opposed to being able to have full shots all the time.

5-7 of the TS-2 are just astounding and as a better player I prefer them over the TS-1. Conservative looks or not they just perfom far better for me But I'm also a sucker for the Nerdy School teacher look. If I could get the TS-2s in 4 degree gaps a 4-GW would never ever come out of the bag.

I'm a sweeper and have a heel miss. I like the ts1 more than ts2. Thinner too line on ts1 makes the blade look longer to my eye and makes me less prone to heel strikes than with ts2. Lower CG is good for thin shots which is my other miss tendency.

Totally different looks, ts2 is chunky for sure. I do feel like TS1 gives me a little more forgiveness than the DBM which I also really like.

Popeye couldn't you just bend your ts2 set to 4* gaps?

You could bend a 9 and an 8 so that there is a 4° spread. But then your gap to the 7-8 and 9-PW would be even greater. Gw-8 are 5 ° gaps and then the 8-7 is 4° so there is no way to get them all to fall in the 4° gap. Hope that made sense.

I hit the TS-2 lowere irons extremely well they just go way to far for me.