What is the one rule you wish could be changed

Comments

• SawgrassSawgrass Members  15871WRX Points: 1,155Posts: 15,871 Titanium Tees

It’s often useful and interesting to consider the thoughts of those obsessed with being right.

When you’ve got someone obsessed with being wrong stuck to the bottom of your shoe though, it’s just irritating.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sui generissui generis Members  4450WRX Points: 782Posts: 4,450 Titanium Tees

That which is "stuck to the bottom of your shoe" is a bilious mix of self delusion, projection and malice. Seems eerily familiar doesn't it?

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • antipantip Members  1160WRX Points: 375Posts: 1,160 Platinum Tees

The issue is not the overall thread, it is this 'unplayable' saga that one contributor can't let go of. IMO, there is a powerful case for no-one engaging that contributor further on that issue.

Posted:
  • davep043davep043 Members  4978WRX Points: 2,183Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,978 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members  2002WRX Points: 279Handicap: 7Posts: 2,002 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • CaseyCCaseyC Members  241WRX Points: 116Posts: 241 Fairways
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Pinehurst, NCMembers  5834WRX Points: 520Posts: 5,834 Titanium Tees

@LICC I am curious about something. You seem to be opposed to the idea of declaring a obviously hit-able ball to be unplayable (and then taking 2 CL or BOL relief). So which change do you prefer?

1) No real change in the rules. Just remove any reference to an unplayable ball or lie and replace it with something like 'undesirable' (or some such term - we'll assume that it is a term that gets your approval).

2) The USGA should start enforcing your view and your very literal interpretation of and interaction of the rules (in which case they should address the GUR 'problem' as well)

Which one do you think is correct?

dave

ps. FWIW, there is a bunch of rules work to be done regarding #2. Despite your earlier claims, that path would absolutely require that much more descriptive information and guidance WRT 'is this lie unplayable?'. Maybe you intend for an unplayable lie to be strictly in the context of a given golfer where a highly skilled golfer might encounter a lie that is not unplayable yet if I encountered that identical lie it would be unplayable. Or maybe it is just the lie without any regard to the golfer. And it is totally irrelevant that you know exactly what 'unplayable' means. Lots of us do not.

pps. There is a 3rd option. @LICC does not give a rats behind what the rules say. He/she just likes to argue.

Posted:

Dave, you're pps is most likely.

"pps. There is a 3rd option. @LICC does not give a rats behind what the rules say. He/she just likes to argue."

As others have suggested, let's all just leave the miscreant alone to argue with itself.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Pinehurst, NCMembers  5834WRX Points: 520Posts: 5,834 Titanium Tees

Understand - this is kind of 'selfish' curiosity as to whether or not LICC could answer a question without raising an argument. Maybe bad judgment on my part.

dave

Posted:

@LICC I truly was just curious. I won't be having a debate over this. But you have typed a surprisingly large volume of whatever regarding this issue without ever stating just what you think actually should be done.

dave

Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members  4968WRX Points: 483Handicap: 3,8Posts: 4,968 Titanium Tees

The most interesting thing about this LICC character is that even though his questions are answered (correctly!!) he ignores the answer because he does not like it. This is despite the (correct!!) answers have been given him many times and by different people. Sounds like a child at the age of 6.

I will move to more interesting subjects.

Posted:

Advertisement

@LICC Thank you. I truly was just curious and I most definitely am not interested in engaging in a debate with you over this.

dave

Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members  4968WRX Points: 483Handicap: 3,8Posts: 4,968 Titanium Tees

Oh, I almost forgot!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUI !!

Posted:
    Posted:
    Posted:
  • isaacbmisaacbm Members  3411WRX Points: 496Handicap: +2.9Posts: 3,411 Titanium Tees

As far as I can tell, it’s not one guy that’s the problem in this thread. He is a problem for sure but it’s the six other guys who insist on convincing him that THEY ARE RIGHT! Being RIGHT is the fundamental problem with this thread.

Posted:

Advertisement

For many, the Rules folder is about getting it "right."

That goes for this thread in spades. When someone posts rubbish over and over and over, it (until lately, one hopes) merits a "right" response.

That's not the case in many other folders here . . . just look at Tour Talk, the Wild West, where alternative facts abound.

ps Meant to thank you for your great fitting experience posts.

Posted:
    Posted:

Oh my, I knew this would happen... that is, I need to respond...

Isaac, I can only speak for myself but sort of knowing some of the posters here I think I speak for them as well. It is not about proving who is right but proving who is wrong. Now where is the difference?

This forum is about spreading the knowledge of the Rules of Golf. Thus any false information being spread around here is against the idea of this forum. I cannot deny I like being right but much more I enjoy being able to tell another person what is the correct ruling or interpretation. However, once clearly false information is being spread I stand up and try to defend the correct information and that is what was the motive for me (and many others) in this thread as well. Unfortunately the seed of 'truth' could not be planted in a soil where it would grow, as we have all seen.

So, having been right I step aside. What a pity the other party is still wrong.

Posted:
  • isaacbmisaacbm Members  3411WRX Points: 496Handicap: +2.9Posts: 3,411 Titanium Tees

My point is that the correct answer HAS been given 40 times. Both sides just want to be TOLD that theY’re right! Lol!

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement

No you’re right! Lol. See, now that we’ve both been told that were right, neither of us needs to post on this thread anymore.

Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass Members  15871WRX Points: 1,155Posts: 15,871 Titanium Tees

I'll add to Mr. Bean's soliloquy by saying that comprehensive, accurate knowledge of the ROG is very challenging to achieve, that this forum is generally an excellent place to be educated. Even the most expert people here sometimes disagree, and we almost always (always?) get to the truth -- even if a Ruling Body needs to be dragged in. It pleases me that by the end we have a determination that can be reviewed and relied upon in the future.

IMO deliberate actions against those principles are ugly, particularly when falsehoods are presented as "fact" instead of opinion. An opinion I disagree with can be interesting, and there's no strong motivation to "correct" a difference of opinion. Incorrect statements purported to be facts deserve attention . . . though in closing I will admit/suppose that the incorrect "facts" described over the past several days in this thread are now thoroughly exposed for what they are.

Posted:
  • NewbyNewby Members  7761WRX Points: 626Posts: 7,761 Titanium Tees

😴

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.