MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Thats why I dont mind that our pool defaults to -350k if you miss a pick or miss a cut.

I've been in this pool the last few years, $350, capped at 360 people this year. I predict I will win $0.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

FIRST GOLF TRIP!

Find your own way, but now that I've been on several golf trips, there's no embarrassing yourself. If you play well, that's a bonus. But, I've had a lot more fun on trips since I stopped caring if I played well. It's so much golf. Not great sleeping. New courses. Weird foursomes. Hangovers. Everyone knows you're a stud with the sticks. If you play bad for 3 days in February, I don't think anyone is going to give a hoot. Enjoy hitting some good shots.

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Its February. Everyone will care about how much fun they had playing/traveling/hanging with you.

Exactly no one will care how many...putts per round you averaged.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Yep first golf trip. I mean we traveled in college but not to anywhere with the history and courses that Pinehurst has, and it wasn't just guys having a good time.

I should clarify. I'm truly not worried about embarrassing myself, and I'm really not worried about shooting a good score for the sake of shooting a good score. I just think that I'll enjoy and appreciate the COURSES more if I'm able to have a general idea of where the ball will go rather than playing out of the pines all day (No question that I'll enjoy the company and trip as a whole)

$30 a month.

There's a scene in "The Big Short" when the pregnant lady calls Mark Baum into her office and is acting all sheepish and she tells him that Morgan Stanley's exposure to sub-prime losses is like $15 Billion. She tells him some dummy at Morgan was shorting sub prime, and Baum says, "oh, he's smarter than I thought" and she goes, "nope, he's not smart. He had to meet his margin calls on those so he started selling swaps on triple A's" and Mark Baum goes, "all this time I've been trying to figure out who I'm betting against, and it turns out I'm betting against Morgan."

Anyway, I do have a point with that story. You can figure it out on your own.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

That's legit, especially for somebody of your ability.

I've played well on trips/special rounds, and I've also played TERRIBLE. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the rounds that I played well more than the rounds I dooked all over myself. I just try not to get too upset when I'm having one of the bad rounds. On the bright side, I'm exploring more of the course on those days lol.

I like Chamblee more and more as time goes by. I don't know if he wants to die on the hill of full hip turn (he's missing something in his analysis I believe), but this is from the ESPN article (bolding mine) :

"The letter accuses flippant and reckless comments," Chamblee said. "My comments were weighed heavily before they came out of my mouth, and they were meant to address the larger issue of what I believe to be the decaying traditions of the game. This game has always had at its core the belief that self-governing gives the game its appeal. Inasmuch as we play the game for camaraderie. The self-governing tradition is slowly being replaced by a catch-me-if-you-can attitude."I think the whole golf world was watching how the Reed incident was treated. Including the young men and women who will soon be on their respective tours. If the catch-me-if-you-can attitude pervades junior golf, 10 years later it pervades professional golf and that concerns me. And was the origin of my remarks."

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

This is a crazy article. He's SUCH A "business man" and such a salesman. I don't know "Bar Rescue" but he definitely looks at everything through the filter of his expertise in that field.

Like Mark Baum says in the Big Short, "he's so transparent in his own self interest, I sort of respect him. Would I buy a used car from him? No. but is he right about ?"

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I dont think its crazy at all, I Actually read through it twice, some really good ideas in there.

We forget a lot that 99.9% of the golf business exists outside of message boards. So maybe looking through the golf business from a business lens isnt really that dumb. Just because we may want to spend 6 hours at the course doesnt mean that everyone with kids or a family wants to do that. When Streamsong built their first two courses with six hole loops and marketed them as a way to get a quick round of golf in, I thought it was genius. There is a tiny 9 and VERY cramped 9 hole course where I grew up that had talked about going through a full redesign and opening as a 6 hole track.That’s the problem with golf. We wake up every day and we bank on tradition. We need to bank on a future.

IMO he couldnt be more spot on here. But I like how he talks about other sports too though, its not just golf that needs a wakeup call, every sport is facing this.

The one interesting thing he talked about was how he sold beer/drinks to people when they rented the carts. Good idea, have sort of seen that before. Have never seen a course offer a thermos of coffee for $X during early morning rounds. Now that is a good idea. Costs them virtually nothing and the initial cost of the thermos is probably recouped in the first day.

City are you getting residuals for every time you mention how much you love the Big Short?

• Like 1

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

I typed "crazy" quickly. I was getting offline for a bit.

I don't think it's crazy like it's wrong. I was saying "crazy" like it's a perspective I haven't really seen before and I always think it's crazy when I hear "business people" talk. He knows things like "people order 2 drinks in their first hour and 1.5 drinks each subsequent hour" and I'm thinking, "every person I know DRIVES to and from the golf course" and he's talking about how to get more drinks into them. And, he's talking about maximizing revenue for everyone who shows up at a golf course, and selling them more premium drinks. Maybe he's right -- it's just not the things I care about.

Did you know that Gnarl's Barkley's "Crazy" plays in the background in The Big Short when the Frontpoint partners are talking to the mortgage brokers in Florida. Examples of cleverly placed "incidental music" abound in The Big Short. For instance, when Christian Bale first mentions that the mortgages in the mortgage backed securities might be faulty, "Moby Dick" by Mastodon plays. The underlying mortgages were, indeed, the White Whale for people shorting the bonds. More blatant examples exist, such as when Christian Bale gets every big bank in New York to sell him insurance on the bonds and "shake your money maker" plays.

Anyway, I'm always of the mindset "leave golf alone". Like, I don't accept the premise that there's a problem with the game. I think the game will shrink. I don't know if there's a solution.

Brandel (from a different article):

“My first reaction was that someone is so pissed at Patrick Reed that they went back and watched all the nice things I said about him when he won the Masters and was demanding I cease and desist saying nice things,” he said. “As I read further and got to the sentence that the tape fully supported him, I wondered how did Patrick Reed find the only lawyer in the world who didn’t play golf?

“As I continued, I felt like I was reading Finnegans Wake,” Chamblee added, referencing James Joyce’s famously incomprehensible novel.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i'm good with golf as it is and i'm fine with less people playing, less courses, less equipment manufacturers, etc. do ice fishing enthusiasts always try to figure out how to get more people ice fishing?

i LOVE nine holes. I LOVE the nine hole wednesday league. I love in the winter when there is no posting that i just play nine holes all the time. I had a ten hole match a week or two ago. it was great. and i was home 90 minutes earlier than if i had played 18 holes. Whether it makes sense or not it just feels more palatable to be away from my kids for 5.5 hours in the summer when there are several additional hours of sunlight. when i play 18 holes in the winter it really really feels like i'm gone the entire day.

I don't know about you, but I could really use a Taffer's Seltzer.

One the one hand, I don't want more people on the course. Falls Road is slow enough as it is. But on the other hand, I want the courses I play to be in good condition, well maintained. And that doesn't happen without more business. I saw the death spiral of Red Gate. I'd like the sport of golf to stay healthy so I can have nice courses to play.

He's looking at it from the perspective of the people operating golf courses to earn a living. The gist of it to me was, "Look, you've got a customer base that has money. Do a better job up-selling them, to get a fraction more of that money."

It resonates with me in terms of keeping golf healthy. Especially in areas like this where land is so valuable, it benefits all golfers if the local tracks thrive as businesses.

Sort of related - you know what local favorite could use a serious injection of life to their F&B operation? Waverly. The F&B is a disaster.

It'd be one thing if it was in an isolated location, but the problem is you're a mere 300 yards from a real restaurant experience. Who's gonna sit down for a cold cut sammy on bread, and a choice of 3 tap beers, when you could be eating carnitas and having a wider array of drink options?

It's got a small bar, 1-2 TVs, and those standard run of the mill snack bar table and chairs. Spruce that S up.

They do a really good golf business. It seems like there would be a lot of opportunity for them to kill it on F&B.

• Like 1

So Fabb beat me to it but he doesnt talk at all about growing the game or caring about the game experience - which is what everyone else seems to be talking about. Thats not his thing. He's purely focusing on the business aspect and courses maximizing the potential revenue that they take in.

The one thing that resonated with me was talking about the 25 million golfers and what happens to the golf business (big picture) if your 19th Hole experience is good enough that you could sell each of them just one or two more drinks or one more good meal per year?

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*