Where to talk about improving at golf?

I don't really see a spot on the forum for this... I've been listening to the Chasing Scratch podcast, and want to spend this season actually focusing on improving my game... Basically, I want a place to talk about all the various aspects of improving at the game... Everything from getting the right equipment (vs arguing about blades vs GIs), fitness, training regiments, mental game, finding the time to play and practice...

I'm not sure if there is a place here for that... I'd love to see what other people are doing and trying, what's working, what's not working and what people are trying next.

Basically, a place for people who are actively working on improving to discuss there plans and motivations...

Maybe it's just spread out through the forum... but it would be nice to have a centralized place!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I agree. I think it's scattered around quite a bit. There can be a lot that goes into improving at golf. A few of my goals this year:

1. Get fit for a driver. My current driver spins a bit too much.

2. Check all of my other clubs numbers with a fitter and address inefficiencies.

3. Go to practice with a specific plan and tasks to complete. No just beating balls without a plan.

4. Get faster. I got the SuperSpeed sticks and almost through protocol 1. Trying to get my ball speed around 10 mph faster than last year.

5. Go into rounds with specific process goals (eg. Pick safe targets, hit all flighted approach shots, etc)

-6. i know i need around 60% FIR and 12-13 GIR to get closer to my scoring goals. Work my process goals backwards from those outcome goals.

Nice!

My plans are:

Actually build a SET of clubs... I've been slotting things in and out and have a mix bag with no real cohesion (it's not a huge problem, but I'd like to build a golf bag with purpose). Unfortunately, doing it all at once isn't in the cards this year, so I need to figure out a plan to slowly replace everything over the next 2 years. I don't want cost to be a limiting factor, so I'm going slowly... I want a REASON for each club in the bag, as I think that will help withPracticing the shots I actually play. Improve on my deficiencies (putting and short game are a huge one for me), but also just KNOW what shots I can hit and plan on hitting them. This comes through repetition. I have access to a range and should have some quality time up there... just need to make it happen. I also need to regain confidence with my driver and figure out a "fairway finding" swing for when I'm not chasing distance. Golf Fitness. I have kettle bells and need to start using them. I want to focus on flexibility and movement and make sure I'm training the right way to improve things. My club is in the middle of a remodel and the gym is shut down right now... Really would like to get up there and start working out.Actually track my game better and find where my big gaps are. Figure out what I can do better and the dumb errors I should be avoiding.Improve my mental game. Play for par, not for birdie and not chase after flags. I have a bad habit of chasing low numbers and shooting high numbers.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Yeah, I get that there are threads here about people's individual journeys and such... With the way forums work, I thought it might be helpful to have a central place to focus more on the whole theory behind improving... It's not big deal. I was just curious if such a place would be useful for others.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I see what you are getting at, but there are so many levels and areas of improvement as you first stated. When that happens you can have the posts take off exponentially and then it is hard to find information that may be specific to one's question(s).

Side note: I also like the Chasing Scratch podcast. I hope they get there this coming year

Yeah, I'm not sure it would work... I was just curious.

Honestly, I wish I had a golf buddy like Mike or Eli to just bullshit with about golf and give me shit when I don't do what I say I'm going to do.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

That’s what coaches/instructors do if you find the right one. They give a lot of confidence. I’ve reached out a lot and found very accepting professionals to lean on. Just be honest and willing to pay a fee or 2 for their time.

My why am I doing this 2 years ago : ummm I don’t know, cuz I like golf I guess? It’s hard though.

my why now: cuz I’m a golfer!

Yeah, I like the junior pro at my club, and I've take some lessons from him... might have to just schedule him for once a month and BS with him the rest of the time I'm up there... there are worse ways of spending $40.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

"WRX is reluctant to start new sections.... " said Rickey Gervais not me

I asked for a section for Physical Training/injuries etc cause its very popular on my softball forum, lots of trainers and PTs would be regulars. Spot where it was all in one place for easier referencing but got shot down saying people already discus it in many sections so no specific section needed.... disagree should be a no brainer

Also asked for a section for better players to talk advanced concepts which plenty supported the idea in the WRX website section but got shot down. And for all the good players that said it was not a good idea they would be in there day 1 chopping it up... see what I did there lol

As far as improving..... I'm currently searching for way to think golf easier. I know there's a mental attitude towards the game that will help me simplify the game greatly...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Ha, yeah... I haven't been back that long... I had forgotten the resistance to change here. It's not a big deal...

In terms of improving the mental side of the game, I'm working on going zen and living in the now. What am I trying to accomplish with THIS shot. Not worrying about the last shot or the next shot... What am I doing here and now on this shot... We shall see if I can get it in my head and have it stick (And if it works). I'm also trying to get into a play for par mentality.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Yeah I like playin for par sometimes.... I think its good to change up ones aggressive meter.... Let pars come easily by playing conservative and DONT press for birdies while making bogeys a strange and rare experience that only pops its head up when things go really wrong like spraying a drive. Yet still trying to drain longer puts for birdies BUT looking for tap in pars. If you're playin for pars let them be tap ins lol...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Yeah, one of my central problems is I never think about how aggressive I’m being... and I’m always playing aggressive!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Not a bad idea. The pro I used to work with and I talked a lot. I think part of it was that I told him I had a goal early on, Also it was a smaller course with only one pro, so I'd see him almost every time I went to the range or play. Ideally you'll find people that know more in the subject areas than you do to get info from and talk to. So you may need a couple of different people to be conversing with.

It sounds like you are looking for help with motivation to follow your plan; discussing said plan and it's various aspects; building a set of clubs; and golf fitness. There are a number of ways to do what you are talking about here. It comes down to best format/method.

I'm gonna steal something I saw and did when I did P90X a decade ago. There was a single topic where a group of us would post for accountability. We were all doing P90X so we'd talk about things we liked, roadblocks, good news like losing an inch in the last month, and that we did the workout for the day. So can something like that be done here? I think so but I don't know how fast it would gain traction. It all depends on if there are enough like minded people.

Depending what level you are at, improving at golf can be as simple as just developing a swing that makes the ball go straight/forward every single time. I.e., no losing balls, no chunk balls, no tops etc. With a decent chipping and putting game, plus the afformentioned, you can easily shoot 80s on basically any course. I find that I'm almost always losing 5 or even 6 strokes a round because I lag putted badly or missed an easy 3 or 4 footer. Hitting more greens and having a sick looking swing isn't going to really reduce my scores as much as just holing a few more putts or getting more of my chips to 5 and 6 feet instead of 10 and 12 ft.

I think far too many people focus on their 7i swing on the range and trying to make it look pretty or hit position P whatever perfectly. Unless somebody is looking to play or does play high level golf, this is mostly a waste IMO. Yeah lessons are good and I take them myself, but I only need 1 or 2 per year, the rest of my time in 2020 I am devoting to just playing golf and practicing shots inside 100 yards, with a heavy focus on putting. I might never actually visit the driving range because I don't feel like it will help me as much as getting better feel on the greens.

I like this idea... I'm going to ponder a good daily goal that can maybe be generic enough for other people to latch in on... If you have any ideas on a good goal / check in, I'd love to hear them... Maybe something as simple as "I'm going to spend 30 minutes every day doing something to improve my game" and let people be accountable for how they want to do that... Roll putts, do golf related exercise, meditate, hit range balls with a focused target... Maybe make it 4 hours a week?

I'm going to contemplate what will work best for me to improve my game and maybe I'll share it and see if people want to join me... We could break it down into categories:

Mental - Reviewing rounds, swing thoughts, tactics... for when you don't have time to get onto the course... just focusing on goals and making a road map of where YOU want to be as a golfer and what you need to do to get there... (in some regards, this feels like a cop out but maybe it's a good way to give people something positive to do on days they can't do anything physical... people can judge for themselves if they are actually helping their game... also maybe limit this to once a week?)Physical Training - Lifts, stretching, core exercises... Things that have shown to help improve your game. Plenty of us need to be working out anyways... A good way to knock off the daily checklist but also adds purpose to time spent in the gym.Swing Training - Actual time spent on the range, but with a specific purpose. 30 minutes of focused effort on improving on something. Getting wedge distance correct, consistently hitting driver, learning to fade the ball... Not just banging golf balls but practicing with purpose, whatever your purpose might be. Short Game - Rolling putts and working on line and speed... Once again, focused practice. 30 minutes of chipping. Focusing on generating consistent results that translate to the golf course (and not just whacking balls at a pin)Golf Lessons - Probably covered by 3/4 but an actual lesson is always a good thing and should count towards the hours.That seems broad enough that plenty of people can join in, but focused enough that people can actually use it to improve their games. Maybe have weekly check ins and monthly progress? Please feel free to offer suggestions, improvements and criticisms... especially if you'd like to participate in this sort of thing... I think it might be a fun way to get people engaged and focused on actually improving their games and not just chasing a ball around the course.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

@Myherobobhope I was thinking about creating a new thread to try to capture what I think you were getting it. It's not so much a how do I get better thread but more of a group thread about how we are each trying to improve and people can comment/discuss things. This happens in the 2020 fitness thread and I see the same thing in PepsiDuck's thread as well. The difference is neither of those started out as a place for a group of people to share what they are working on etc. So one needs to keep in mind not to derail those threads.
The P90X example from my past is different since the group had committed to follow the same program for 13 weeks, though people had different start dates. I would let the goal(s) be individually based and keep things free form. My personal goals right now are to break 50 for 9; Work on sand shots at the range; work on hip rotation. You and I don't have the same specific short term goals but we share the same long term one. Hence keep it open to the individual. Not everyone has the same time commitments etc. Ideally we'd want it to be a place where anyone should feel comfortable to join in with their own goals, etc, regardless of when they actually started to join the thread.

I’ll send you a pm tonight. I like this idea

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

You should really give the strokes gained approach a try. I use it with 18birdies, it tracks every single shot and at the end tells you were you are losing the most strokes relative to your index and relative to any other index you want. Zero guess work, just quantifiable data. In my case my biggest liability is approach shots, then chipping. I had 2 3-putts last round and missed a few short ones, but was +2.5 strokes gained putting, and statistically putting is my biggest strength. Length of the putt matters, as does length/location of where you are chipping from if you miss the green.

Same goes for you OP. Tons of opinions out there on what is most important to concentrate on, in reality all of our games are unique, so there is a quantifiable way to dissect your game such that your time can be best spent addressing your true weak areas.

I have done it but it requires so much attention to the app, I lose focus on shot making and having fun. I did it full out for 2 rounds but I played alone on one of the rounds, it was a 9hole round and it was the best 9 holes I ever played thus far to that point, so I think it was an outlier (shot even par). I do agree, the SG18 can really shine light on the problem areas that you think are from one thing, but really another. Like how people think oh I had a lot of putts, I'm a bad putter when really they putted to their own handicap based on distance of each putt, but they made horrible approaches, thus making said putts harder to begin with.

Right now I use Shot Scope which doesn't have SG18, just the simple stuff like FIR, GIR etc which is almost useless. I think the more useful thing is it tells you where your common miss is with each club. So, I played on Saturday and I found that I left 93% of my putts short, and when I missed a shot (FIR or GIR) 63% of the time I pulled it. SG18 doesn't really care how or why you make misses, so I think that kind of data from shot scope is useful, too.

Maybe on twilight rounds this spring & summer when I often tend to walk and play alone, I will try and get a month's worth of SG18 data on 18birdies. I can sign up for one month for $10 I think. Of the two times I used it, it did say my worst area was tee shots and approaches.

@Krt22 and @Z1ggy16 the stats you guys are talking about can be eye opening, especially if you can start to apply context to it. I'm not familiar with the apps you're talking about but anything that can help you see your trends on the course is helpful.
I just started to use Arccos and while I only have 27 holes of data in it, I am liking it. I won't say it's perfect but the numbers are interesting. I suck at approach shots( and a bunch of other things). My stats for the 3 9 hole rounds are 11.1% GIR, 3.7% left, 3.7% right, 81.5% short.... On a GIR I'm roughly 36 feet from the hole and on all my approaches I average 142 feet away. This makes perfect sense to me because I'm a 30+ index and I have been struggling to hit my irons. Now it's very few holes of data, so outliers have a bigger impact but I'm missing short. Time to club up until my swing improves and I start going long. But it says I am a decent putter, which I agree with. So I need to work on my irons much more than my putting even if I have some putting duds out there.

Arccos and the Shot Scope are essentially the same thing. The 18birdies app is you manually inputting all the data, it's kind of a pain unless you're really used to it. If IIRC, you have to tell the app your about to hit (or that you've reached the landing spot of the last shot), what club you hit, an option to say if you 'pured' that shot, and you also have to manually input where each putt was from. At least with Shot scope, while I don't get SG18 data, every club has a sensor in it like Arccos, so I literally don't have to do anything during my round except mark the position of the flag on the green (which you do via a watch you wear, and it doubles as a GPS for your distances).

Cool thread. I'll put my two cents in as far as 2020 goals:

Overspeed trainingGet my gapping correct - action items: get on a trackman or other launch monitor sooner rather than later (preferably after seeing gains from overspeed training)Eliminate my occasional "fat" miss and improve ball striking by a few swing thoughts I know I am deficient inStart keeping stats of my round, thankfully GHIN more or less makes you remember you hole by hole score but that's not good enough. Anyone have any suggestions for apps on Android that you use to track rounds?Cut the B.S. on the course - I have been too hard on myself on the course, use the range as a place to work on the swing and become frustrated if need be. The course is the place to play it safe and stay within yourself.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Gotcha, I used to use OOBGolf many years ago and it was all post round manual entry. I had a notation system I used on my scorecard to track everything, along with using a GPS to get the distances. Arccos is so much simpler, lol.

How do you like the analytic package with Shot Scope? I don't have all the numbers that Arccos captures available, like I can't find a first putt distance but I know it tracks it. But the "reports" or whatever you call them seem to be good enough for what I need. The best feature for looking at my game holistically is their built in skill handicaps. They say overall I play like a 28.8, my driving, approaches, and chipping are like a 30 but sand is about a 26 and my putting is a 17.

Shot Scope doesn't give a "plays like" but the 18Birdies has a SG18 "comparitor" of sorts so you can compare your areas to people of equal handicap, then also scratch players. Shot Scope does have all the stats as far as where all your shots go and I think you can do various filtering like by round, by club by type of shot and so on. It's basic but I think it's more than enough relative to the amount of input you need to do, which is minimal.

I have the premium version, so distance and direction of the shot is all tracked via GPS each time you enter the next shot. But yes, you need to manually input what club you are hitting and the lie. It's a bit bothersome at first but I now have it going pretty well, basically prepare to entire the data as I am walking to my ball.

• Like 1

I have also been listening to Chasing Scratch and find it hilariously entertaining and motivating!

In college when I played, I love and lived by the idea, "What can I do today to make myself better?" Whether it's going to the range, the putting green, or the short game area, I tried to do something to help me improve even the tiniest of amounts every day. Sometimes, after being burnt out from tournaments and such, when asking myself that question the answer would be dont touch a club and rest. But I always tried to ask myself that question every day.

Now, 5 years out of school, I dont find the same amount of time to practice, I sometimes go weeks without practicing in the summer (unheard of during college). I have a full time job and a wedding coming up, so just finding time to play is tough in itself, yet alone practice. But even so I have improved. I probably left college as a 0 or +1 golfer and I'm now at a +3 and hopefully still getting better.

As for strategies to improve, I will need to focus on the mental side of the game as well as on and around the greens. Range time is for working on small things and making sure my swing path is on plane.

Ah yeah, it's been a while since I used the premium version. Usually if I'm alone I can handle interacting with my phone basically non stop to record all my data but if I'm out with a friend or something, there's no way I can have conversations and whatnot and still remember to track every single shot. We'll see... I'm going to stick with shot scope for at least 2 or 3 months and see if the data pool can give me any insight. I know it was really easy with 18birdies to mark a 2nd shot as a recovery or something... I luckily only had to make 1 recovery shot on Saturday but it screwed up the entire Average Distance metric for that club. Probably something I have to edit in post round.

One biigggg drawback I can see though about these GPS tracking apps, at least my Shot Scope, is that I don't think it factors in the wind direction or the slope when calculating your average club distances. For example, I hit 3w off the tee a few times on Sat and one time it was really into the wind and another other time it was down hill but went into the rough while the first was fairway. Shot A went 230 and plugged and shot B hit a slope and ended up in some deep rough. Shot A was 230 total, shot B was 261 total. Neither are really accurate of my average shot because the first shot got crushed by wind and the 2nd shot was fairly down hill but also had the 2nd shot forward a good amount. It simply just sees your distances as bird's eye view and I don't think it can factor in any corrections from wind or slopes. If I thought my most likely total 3w distance was 245 based on those 2 shots that day and I saw a bunker out at 250... odds are if I actually hit it well and there wasn't much wind, I'm probably going in that bunker because I played this club for a good portion of 2019 and I know it's about a 250-255 club for me at 16.5*. I guess if I hit enough shots, maybe there are so few outliers that the average works out to be fine but I'm not sure if it knows or is able to account for at the very least changes in slope. Wind is probably a lot to ask for.

@Z1ggy16 I doubt they take course conditions into account but I have no actual clue either way. I know the GPS portion of Arccos includes a plays like distance which I assume is based on elevation differences and the predicted wind speed and direction.
I also think that the numbers will be more accurate when there are more data points. I have used my 6i a few times to punch shots which messes up my stats a little bit for that club. I have used it 7 times and it looks like 4 of them would have been punches. The ability to mark a swing as either recovery or less than full would be a nice feature similar to how, in Arccos, you can change the turf condition, ie fairway, rough or sand, that the ball ended up in.