Is it a 64? 8802 thoughts

pfgiv81 ·  
pfgiv81pfgiv81 Members  82WRX Points: 43Posts: 82 Fairways

Wondering if anyone can provide some insight.

I've looked at a few threads and videos with 8802's and I'm noticing the top line on the remakes is flat, like dead flat. Did the original one have a bit of a rounded top? The question about the rounded top I need to know so I can figure out if this is passing the nickel test. Where exactly on the face should the nickel be? Should it be exactly the same height across the entire face? I think mine is measuring about 14/16ths in the middle of the face.

There is no shaft band, and does not have the original grip. However, the grip that is on it is a golf pride tour wrap with a Wilson logo, so if they used that in a later production then maybe that signifies they year, or it could have been replaced by someone who ordered a Wilson logo grip.

Thanks for your thoughts

Posted:

Ping G410 Driver 10.5* Tensei Orange Stiff
Callaway X Hot 4-Wood 17* Stiff
Callaway X Hot Hybrid #4 22* Tour AD DI 85 Stiff
Ping iE1 4-PW Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 Stiff +1" Green Dot
Miura Wedge Y Grind 51* K Grind 56* Y Grind 59*
Ping JAS W Ti Anser 35" Orange Dot

Comments

• BIG STUBIG STU Members  13038WRX Points: 4,018Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,038 Titanium Tees

I am not a Wilson guru but will bump this thread in hopes one of them will see and comment. I know there was some discussion one night on how the Wilson script is written that designates the difference

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pfgiv81pfgiv81 Members  82WRX Points: 43Posts: 82 Fairways

Thanks Stu, I looked at a few ones that people said were 1964's, and I don't think mine is a 64. The "h" in "The" in mine goes both to the left and right at the bottom of the long part of the h. The ones people were saying are legit only go to the right. This might be the reason mine has the wilson grip on it, its not really a 1964. The font in general has more wavy look to it in the 1964, unless I have it backwards, which I doubt. The photo below I found on the web by googling wilson 8802 1964. Even the W seems to all be bowed to the right in the middle of all three lines. The W on mine looks totally different.

Wondering what year it is though if anyone can offer up any information.

Posted:

• persimmonmanpersimmonman Members  67WRX Points: 48Posts: 67 Bunkers

The “w” is wrong, the right hand side is evenly curved. The originals had a more upright right side on the “w”.

the “8802” stamp also looks too even. The originals were rolled from what I’ve heard so the width of the numbers differ. PFgiv81’s example has a very heavy 8 compared to the rest of the stamp.

Posted:
  • pfgiv81pfgiv81 Members  82WRX Points: 43Posts: 82 Fairways

Thanks for the info persimmonman. I have a bunch of persimmons that I have no idea about either, so I'll have some threads on those coming up. Maybe you can shed some light.

Which photo are you referring to, as I am the OP. Is the upright photo comment in regards to the OP or the second photo I posted?

Thanks

Posted:

• BIG STUBIG STU Members  13038WRX Points: 4,018Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,038 Titanium Tees

Thought it was something like that but was not absolutely sure---- As we say down South I was in the right church but the wrong pew

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.