Piretti vs Bettinardi putters?

elusivbird

Agree with the above. All are very good

For my money, I think Piretti is best looking, with the fine milling and understated graphics. Feel the best too. You can also get some options on alignment dots / lines, grips, length, etc when you order from them.

I can’t just get ok with all the hive and other patterns on the Betti faces. I am sure they are nice, but not as good as Piretti

Toulons are very good too. But I feel like the pre Odyssey ones were better - not in terms of feel and look. Just picked up a pre odyssey Garage San Diego mid slant, and its as good as anything that money can buy.

Buy one of each and let us know how it goes!

I personally own 3 Betti’s and 1 Piretti, and give the edge to Bettinardi due to their deeper history and wider variety of options to fit your stroke and visual preferences. FIT Face on mild carbon is simply a luxurious feel. That said, the guys in my group all game our Piretti’s during the summer season. They make beautiful putters that look & feel incredible in their own right. Also harder to find at an affordable price, which probably helps them retain market value. Obviously, the “better” putter is the one you roll best that day.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

note on this , putters are like art,” Beauty is in the eye’s of the roller”

Bettinardi- fly mill DASS IS awesome, honey comb is nice as well, what I didn’t care for is the fit face , had it on BB0 dass head, felt too soft , some may like the feel. In a carbon head it would be IMOP feel like hitting a sack of bread. I felt I got a more consistent roll with the fly mill. But to prob get what u want Betti is getting pricey $$$. Quality is great, but comes at a price to get std Newport and anser heads

***BB8 Tri sole fly mill no sight alignment is my baby

Toulon- I have a San Diego (pre Odyssey) , every bit as good as a betti , or Peretti IMOP again . I like the slightly bigger foot print on the San Diego vs the BB8 , though betti now has BB8 classic. Roll is true , but not as hot as the betti flymill. accessory wise betti you get a bit more out of that brand if that’s your thing. I like the finish of the Toulon vs the peretti , less glare

peretti , best production dale head shape that’s out there, avail without paying an arm and a leg , ~400 vs 800+ for others . The peretti dale head is larger than the Toulon / Odyssey. Though the 365 is a bit hefty IMOP. The roll of the peretti is better than the Toulon Austin, but i hate the sight line on the peretti, one can get site dots etc from peretti but your in the +800 range.

clear as mud ???

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I have 1 Bettinardi at the moment, 2 Toulon and 0 Piretti but I'd really like one but lefty options are limited in general with all these brands.

Bettinardi is more "traditional" in terms of weight, most stock offerings seem to be in that 350g range and weight cannot be changed. Few different lines, metal and face milling. Stock options are kinda funky in shape, look and feel. The BB8 is the nicest I think besides the BBZero for me which is a Hive or Custom option which is min 1k for Hive and 2k for Custom. Lots of their older models I prefer but I may be done with Bettinardi, as I'm thinking of selling my only one.

Toulon, I think they do a very good job at classic shapes, I like that all of their options offer adjustable weighting and if you have multiple different shapes all plates will fit (Minus the Latrobe). The Diamond Face milling is awesome, one of my favorites, feels great and rolls the ball well. Used models can be had really cheap and their Garage offerings are not too expensive if you want a bare or top line marking.

Piretti, I've yet to own, rolled a few RH but coming across lefty options are uncommon on the used market. But from my trials and testing they feel great, I like the multiple weight options if you want a set weight putter but they also have varying weight putters. Feel on these are soft and very nice, customs are not too bad but still up there $1,200 for Carbon and I think $1,800 or 2000 for GSS. I really want a Piretti just a basic option or Elite option just can't decide which one.

So for me Toulon over Bettinardi. Once I get a Piretti that could change a lot of things up.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Ok , so I have rolled / Flirted with the Piretti Potenza for awhile now with the sight line holding me back, well I happened to find this online https://pirettigolf.com/product/potenza-2-303-series/

Not available with the 350g head, but 356g allows you to choose sight dot, lie angle, length and grip for 399.99. Pulled the trigger. 350 feels good, and the 365 feel good also, I prob prefer the 350, I know this will sound crazy but the sight line would bother me more than the weight because of the alignment.

Will see how she rolls

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Piretti is too heavy for me. I think all their stuff start from 365g. I’ve been trying to go light. Even standard Scotty feels a bit heavy to me.

I agree with someone above who said OTR Bettinardi looks funky. I’ve the same reaction. Bettinardi’s accessories look really nice though.

I have a Garage Toulon. It’s nice, but nothing to write home about.

Did you talk to Piretti? I bought a carbon Potenza few years ago naked. If it is a common head they will have a lot around without any sight lines or dots already milled. I agree though about the sight line. I cannot stand them. I am not even a big fan of the dot! Naked is the best lol

Ping G430 10.5° LST Ping Tour 2.0 Black

Titleist TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black

Titleist TSR3 19° HZRDUS Black

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Bettinardi and Toulon Garage are great quality. I like Piretti but never seem to buy one. Seems like the reasonably priced ones are 365-gram (too heavy) or flange-line only. I see one I like and it's $2,200. Nah.

Another brand in this same category is Swag, they make great stuff and have several headshapes now. Also Kevin Burns has his website up now and he does great work in a reasonable price range.

Agree that Toulon Pre Odyssey were definitely better, even more true with the garage version, never had a Betti, but Piretti CW2 is very sweet, love the design and the weight, but to be honest, now days high end milled putters from these brands are all very good, it is just personal preference as to what kind of feel, sound, and look you want.

Taylormade M5 9.0 - Tour AD IZ S

Srixon ZX U 3 Iron - Tour AD DI 95 S 

Srixon ZX7 MK II 4-P Modus 120 Stiff 

Titleist Vokey SM 8 Blacked Out 60 / 54 / 50 - DG Tour Issue S400 

Golf Pride Tour Velvet 

Toulon San Diego Garage

Vice Pro

I have been a Gripmaster Stitchback back guy for close to 20 years now. About half of my collection are sporting Gripmasters. Since I play with a large rotation of putters ( 30 + have a chance of seeing the course on any given day) I have adjusted my putters to very similar set ups for length , static weight , and balance. No real adjustment time needed when switching from one to the next......

My latest purchase , a Piretti GOAT , I requested the grip ( GM 72 gm ) to be shipped loose in the box. I will be reshafting this putter with a C- Taper 120 3 iron shaft then adjusting the static weight to total 555 grams / balanced to swingweight of E-2. Just like my others. I will determine by toe hang which grip this putter will get . More than 4:00 I will give it a standard sized 58 gram Tacki-Roo tour .

I am not being a smart *** here but these comparison threads are useless except for discussion. Putting is such a subjective thing, you cannot possibly say one putter is 'better' than another. A guy just started a thread saying he bought a $500 Betti and tried an $80 putter and putted better with that! Plus the above posts show how many adjustments and configurations you can now get with loft, weight, grips etc.

I have a few putters and like an under 10 Soccer coach, they all get a go and depending on performance might get another go the next day - but it is always operator error when I miss - not the putter - no matter which brand.

Okay, now that I have 'Grinched' the thread like the old curmudgeon I am - I will shut up. :-)

Rob

I agree partially. The $80 putter used in that example could have been better length/loft/lie etc and do you have a link to that? I am curious about it!

Ping G430 10.5° LST Ping Tour 2.0 Black

Titleist TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black

Titleist TSR3 19° HZRDUS Black

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Pulled the KBS putter shaft and dropped in ysc true temper *** note it took a shim** Peretti head has larger hosel than the betti

D42QMBLGWBSG.jpeg

2HKWLNQ6LV2U.jpeg

rolling the peretti a bit

• swing weight 35.5 ysc shaft 72g grip is ~F1 , 350 would get you too E3 or so

• more used to 340 - 350 ish putters , the potenza II it putts a very very smooth roll on it

• ysc shaft vs the kbs std putter that came with the peretti , The kbs was stiff feeling , I didn’t cpm the 2 shafts but the ysc feels softer.

•the ysc coupled with the lamkin cord (actually preferred the look of this ) had every bit of feel that my BB8 tri sole custom has ( ysc shaft and ping man grip) but I switched back to the iomic mid pistol that has the texture on the bottom, while it deadened the feel a touch , maybe bc of the Of the material of the iomic , that larger grip felt more secure .

both 68* lie , ~2 loft , going to play the potenza for a while the slightly larger head gives a hair more confidence and the weight really smooths out the swing , while I struggled with some distance control at first with the heavy head , the some what softer shaft has helped with that feel aspect . 4/10 ft’er the heavier head inspires a lot of confidence

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Bettinardi's have always felt dead to me. Haven't liked any of them since the early days.

Piretti's are just outstanding performers. Savona 2 Elite is a gem.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

I wouldn’t call myself a putter ho but tried many different materials and brands before currently resting with Byron.

They are more art than engineering so rarely one putter is better than the other.

One putter I miss the most is, though, murdered black piretti carbon cortino due to a simple fact, the way it rolled which I don’t think it was just a loft thing.

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond SZ (9) | Project X HZRDUS SB Smoke Green S
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Tour (17) | Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow S

Callaway Apex UW (19) | Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow S
New Level NLU01 (21) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
Ballistic CB (4-PW) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
Edel SMS(D) 50,56 | SteelFiber i105 Black Label S

Byron Morgan 615 | Stability Tour Black

Snell MTB-X

Do you make the putts you feel you're supposed to with your Spider? Are you confident with it?The reason I ask is if the answer to both is yes, why look any further?

If you have a putter that sets up to you correctly and you have the confidence you're gonna make the straight-in uphill 6-footer, 4 out 0f 5 times, you're ahead of 95% of the golfers on the planet.

Do yourself a huge favor and go roll some putts with each putter you are sincerely interested in and honestly compare them head to head. Then select the one that allows you to hole more putts. Bagging a high-end putter may make you feel better about yourself but not as good as sinking more putts with what actually works. And quite honestly, most folks you play golf with won't notice what putter you're using, unless you're having a colossal round. But on the other hand it's your money, handicap, and satisfaction factor so do as you wish.

There's a reason most "old men" and good putters usually sport a beat up old putter and that's because they make putts with 'em. They've reached a point where vanity no longer enters the equation.

Good luck in your quest. ;-)

Signed,

A guy who's been there, done that.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve bought and eventually sold 3 Piretti’s. All 3 great putters but I just prefer my Bettinardi Studio Style 2. My distance control is much better with the Betti, usually finishing near the hole. The Piretti I always had a few putts that came up really short or blew it by the hole 6 feet. Not knocking Piretti, I’m sure if I’d stick with them I would have dialed them in, eventually.

You asked about the Garsen grip though, and one thing I LOVED about the Piretti’s was that Garsen Quad Tour No Taper grip. It is now on my gamer Bettinardi Studio Style 2 and my Ping Karsten 59 Anser 2 I use in the rain and on punched and sanded greens.

That grip just feels right, and seems to quiet my elbows during the stroke. I have noticed less pulls and pushes each round using this grip, where I used to push 3 or 4 times a round now I won’t do it more than once, and sometimes not at all during a round.