CFB Championship

jholz

As an Auburn alum, the only good thing about the CFB final is that one of the teams is going to loose. I expect a pretty good football game, however.

If forced, I would have to throw my support LSU's way. Despite the overwhelming stench of corn dogs, I've got to stick with my conference.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was quite surprised that I couldn't find a thread on it. I admittedly didn't look that hard.

With the extended schedule and NFL playoffs going on, plus no Alabama or Ohio State, I think it is getting lost in the shuffle this year.

As far as the game is concerned, I think it is pretty tough to pick a winner. Both teams have looked good and I'm just hoping for a competitive game.

or
or

Geaux Tigers !!!!

Will be great to see all the local bandwagon fans jump off after clempson loses tonight .....I predict LSU scores 45 plus.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

And Dabos paying of the officials continues. Wow. Clemson has some of the luckiest and timeliest penalties called of any team I’ve ever watched.

And yet the no call on the 3rd down punch to the throat at the line of scrimmage by the corner. Clemson. Dirtiest players you’ll see.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Pretty good game so far. Interesting that Clemson is employing the same defence against LSU as Auburn did - and with about as much success. They stole everything else from Auburn, so I'm not surprised.

or
or

Glad to see the better team won. Great game !

Lawrence exposed for the inexperienced QB under pressure that he is , hurrying up anytime he felt a slight amount of pressure from the blind side. Losing this game will be the best thing for his career going forward. Being undefeated in college isn’t a good thing when it’s mostly against Mickey Mouse teams in the ACC coupled with the 3-4 token games against Wofford and Furman they play each year.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

"Being undefeated in college isn’t a good thing when it’s mostly against Mickey Mouse teams in the ACC coupled with the 3-4 token games against Wofford and Furman they play each year."

I think this sums it up pretty well. While Clemson is a very good team, playing in the ACC allows them to win 10+ games a year, which gives them and their fan base, a false sense of how good they really are. It also allows them to stay healthy and play most of their roster each week, which allows them to compete well at the end of the season. If they played in the SEC or most other P5 conferences they would lose one or two games a season, get beat up, and never even make the playoffs, but they don't, so you have to give them credit for taking full advantage of their situation. If you don't think the ACC is the All Cupcake Conference, look at the final rankings, there is one ranked team and that is Clemson.

Ping G400 LST 10°, Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Ping G430 MAX 15° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 MAX 17.5° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 22° Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 S
Ping i210 5-W Recoil Dart 105 S +½" SStep x1
Ping Glide 4.0 50, 54, 58

2022 Scotty Cameron X5 35"
TM TP5X

I love how we're still taking shots at Clemson for not being good. This was a team that went undefeated, beat OSU and gave LSU a good run for their money until late in the game after their star LB got ejected. I bet every coach not named Orgeron would take the Clemson season over whatever they did. And they're already favored to win the title next year.

Also remember that schedules are set years in advance.... They play ND next year, then UGA and LSU in the future. Who would've thought years ago that FSU, Miami, and the rest of the ACC would be this terrible? Now if the ACC bounces back over next few years and they have a conference schedule + LSU then folks will be talking about how they're so good but they play a brutal schedule....

I'm certainly not trying to argue that Clemson has, had, or will have a weak team. But, LSU was clearly the better of the two last night.

or
or

Exactly. The thing that’s hard to quantify exactly is the war or attrition that is played in the sec. some teams are riddled with injury. Clemson isn’t as deep as they’d need to be to compete in the sec. prime example is losing the inside linebacker to adhering call. The backup is the coaches son. And LSU ran all over then with QB and running back after the starter was out.

lawrence would be banged up , etc. you’d have to win hurt. They’d lose 2 a year and not be in most times.

The ACC is a joke And I’m from ACC country

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Some true. But. The difference is in the sec you’d play UGA LSU and a ND equivalent. And then if you get to the conference title game you have to beat one of those again. Just to get into the playoff. Clemson had to beat Virginia. I mean. What the crap? There’s no comparison.

Its not that Dabo hasnt worked a miracle. He has. He walks on water around here. But. They aren’t as strong as they claim. And in fact had some pretty favorable( silly calls ) breaks to beat Ohio state. This is the weakest Clemson team in 4 years for sure.

I predict Saban leaves Bama in the next 5 years for TV. And then Bama pays up for Dabo. Tiger town will implode on itself when that happens.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Geez...Clemson murdered Bama last year in the championship game, beat a ridiculously talented OSU team...I ummm, think they are pretty good

As others have said their conference is bad and their schedules are set years in advance. What they need is someone else in that conference to have a couple of decent recruiting classes

No issue saying LSU was the best team in the country this year. I watched probably 10-12 full clemson games the past 2 seasons and for sure they were not as talented as last year. No Hunter Renfrow, the defense was not as dominant...but they were still awesome.

Why the hate for Clemson? 15yrs ago this was an average program. They are having a run like so many other schools have , and like many others it wont last forever

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just to be clear, I don't hate Clemson. Fine school, fine football team, fine town. But, as an Auburn alum, I am pretty much forced to give Clemson a hard time.

or
or

Lol. Jeff. No offense. And I say this all in good fun. But I wear garnet. We don’t own orange anything in my house. Not even oranges. It’s a banned fruit !! Only partially kidding.

My kindergarten photo has me wearing a gamecock t shirt. My wife went there. Twice. It literally same or worse than asking a Michigan fan “ why the Ohio state hate “ ?

Now. That being said. Two things are true. 1. My gamecocks suck more than they have ever sucked at this moment. Until we fire a coach or 3 and have a Dabo like savior show up. We’re crap.

2.up until the college football playoff years , I always would pull for Clemson when they weren’t playing USC ( the real usc check the dates ). For state pride and to support local kids. But. When the first playoff championship happened , the bandwagon was overtaken with every single soccer mom , retirement group , newscaster , school activity etc. it’s a sea of orange down here. So much so that you’re now looked down on if you aren’t a tiger fan. So I can’t get in with the sheeple herd and support that nonsense. I mean we’re talking folks that can’t tell you if a football is round or not claim to be tiger fans. Deck out their cars and wear orange head to toe on Friday and gamedays.

All that being said I respect Dabo a lot. Wish we had hired him or Kirby Smart. But knowing each ACC team like I do , I know that their only hurdle was NC and although on the uptick that wasn’t a team that should have gave them any trouble. The Clemson schedule was easier than a lot of smaller schoools who couldn’t get in with an undefeated season. This is why the playoff must be expanded. Two qualifier games would assure that you earned your way in.

And they beat osu with a very bad targeting call and a questionable dead ball call on a fumble. The targeting was a crime . Lawrence saw it coming and lowered his head into the sack. It’s clear as day in video .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ah ok lol. It's funny up here in canada the college thing isn't as big. Like I went to a big MtL university (theres only 2 English ones) and were supposed to hate the other one...haha but no one really does.

I work with guys who I played college football against and we never even talk about it

It's a much bigger thing in the US. Almost more of a rivalry than pro sports I find sometimes

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yep. It’s illogical for sure. But in he south. College football is much bigger really than pro anything. Clemson for instance , was referred to as “ cow college “ for eons here. And now they have a state of the art practice ( indoor and outdoor ) facility and one of the all time highest paid college coaches. That’s a lot of donor money. Cow college comes from their agriculture roots of the school. You used to go there for animal husbandry or to engineer a seedless watermelon. They’ve done a good job of stepping out of that pigeon hole.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

In the pro leagues you actually end up with a definitive champion. The champion of American college football has always been, and remains to this day, a matter of opinion. As such, memories and animosity run deep.

or
or

Clemson didn't beat Ohio State, Ohio State beat Ohio State (and the officials hammered the final nail in the coffin).

LSU was clearly the best team in the country. Healthy Ohio State and Bama were probably 2/3 with Clemson as 4. Clemson was lucky LSU didn't beat them by more.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I can't see your profile on mobile but if I recall you are from Ohio yes?

OSU was a great team and it was a close game

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Both in college and the pros, the refs are playing waaaaaaaay too large a role in determining outcomes. Pass interference is a weak rule, too difficult to call correctly with any kind of consistency, and the penalties are much too stiff. Whether 15 yards or spot of the foul, the penalty assumes that in every case, the receiver would have caught the ball if not interfered with - which just isn't always the case.

or
or

Agree with those rankings 100 %. Bama was top 4 if we are talking “ hard to beat “. But in that scenario 2 loses just kills you.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree. Move it back to 10 yards and lose the auto first down and it’s not near as much of a game changing call.

Id lose the auto first down on any call. Why give them a complete clean slate for one penalty ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Football is an impossible game to referee properly. I ranted about this in the NFL thread. The pass interference rules are what they are and it's an enormously subjective call. You can't not call it, but every time you do its a huge swing.

Any time you call anything on a big gain that is close you might be swinging the game. But you can't not call anything either

If you make pass interference a 10yd penalty you are just asking any DB beat on a big play to just assault the receiver...why not? 10yds is much better than a 40yd gain

The Bills/Texans playoff game no major network talked about officiating after the game, but in that game the Texans committed a clear delay of game penalty on their winning drive that wasn't called on a critical 3rd down. The Bills also had a play that put them in field goal range called back in the 4th quarter, and a 30yd gain called back in the 3rd with a chance to put it out of reach. And this was a game where officiating wasn't even a story

You can do this in literally every game. If your team loses it's easy to blame the refs. If that same call benefited your team you (anyone) would argue it was fair

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yea. I get that too.

But I’d be interested in seeing what happens if receivers and D backs are allowed to just go at it. Plenty of receivers are big and can be very physical as far as push downs before the ball arrives. I’d let them go and make catches be earned either by foot or by strength.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm from Columbus originally but have relocated to Phoenix. My username (SilverBullets) is the nickname for Ohio State's defense. I'm a huge Buckeye fan and am clearly wearing Scarlet colored glasses.

I firmly believe what I said. I don't think Ohio State would have beat LSU. I think they likely would have matched up better with LSU due to their elite corners and ability to control TOP with the run game, but, I don't think the Buckeyes would have come away with a victory against LSU. I think Ohio State, Clemson and a fully healthy Bama would have been very close (OSU and Clemson was very close). The reason why I continue to believe Ohio State was better than Clemson was because of how that game played out. Literally every break on a big play which was a 50/50 scenario went Clemson's way. Ohio State made many critical self inflicted execution errors (Dobbins dropped 2 TD passes, KJ Hill had a TD pass hit his face mask, Olave ran the wrong route on the final INT... which in all likelihood was the game winning TD, the targeting (good call by the letter the rule), the roughing the punter to extend a TD drive), they were playing with a Dual Threat QB who simply couldn't run due to injury, Dobbins was playing on 1 leg in the second half, and the game still came down to the wire. That's not even including the questionable scoop and score fumble which was overturned and blatant missed DPI call in the end zone... It took all of those dumb execution errors, critical injuries and questionable officiating for Clemson to squeak it out.

Im not trying to discredit Clemson. They absolutely capitalized and TL showed why he's an elite QB. I was in the stands and him putting the team on his back was incredible to watch, even if it meant the destruction of OSU's title shot. But you flip one of those things from the long list above and Ohio State probably wins that game.

What I'm saying is Ohio State was so good they were able to overcome 9 or so critical errors but it was the 10th one which got them. In a national semi-final making that many mistakes is normally completely insurmountable. Ohio State won every single stat category from that game except turnovers (2), penalties (a million) and final score..... Interestingly enough the officiating directly impacted the turnovers and penalties (again, I'm not blaming the officiating because Ohio State only has themselves to blame for being in the spot they were in.. but it did have an effect).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5