Any info on the Scotty Cameron Select 2020 line?

agood3putt

That was a odd design. A head and insert of the same metal with double sided tape in between.

Based on the feel of the other solid (w/ sole weights) stainless steel Cameron lines we've had, I'm sure the feel is really similar.

The intriguing part for me here is the Newport and Newport 2's. With a smaller head the sole weight are much much heavier. One would think this'll result in higher MOI and forgiveness. I'm interested to see if there's any difference.

I have a 2016 NP2 also, with a Pingman grip on it... and I just picked up a 2014(?) Golo 7 with the deep milled face. The NP2 feels a little softer to me actually which is surprising. I am in the small minority that doesnt hate the insert feel. It looks goofy, but feel wise, I like it and have found it to be very consistent from a distance control standpoint. Occasionally I get the urge to sell it, but then I have a really good round with it... The 2020 line is intriguing for sure but these OTR prices are getting a bit ridiculous IMO.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

But why do that when most sell out anyway? I'll reserve judgement on the headcover until I see it in hand. Save for the Studio Design yellow covers I've not seen one SC OTR cover that really caught my attention as being amazing, and likewise few that I've looked at and said they're terrible. They're stock covers, nothing to get worked up about IMO.

"But why do that when most sell out anyways?"

My response is simple....If he has more people wanting to buy them, then he can either increase his release quantities and/or price.

Bettinardi had a release a month ago where they charged $500 for a headcover (1/1) and it sold out in seconds. I would think Scotty Cameron is paying attention and probably wanting to grow the revenue of headcovers and other accessories but he wants a demand to support it. Demand has to be higher than supply in order for his type of selling to work. Nike 101.

So purposely put out a supposed poor design in an elongated attempt to drive up demand and cost.

The majority of the golfing public don't know about non stock Cameron covers. Most I talk to get their cover and use it regardless of how it looks, the WRX and collecting crowd is by far the minority. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've seen a studio released SC cover out in the wild save for Cameron events. And any time I've had people experienced with Cameron ask about any of my covers they didn't even know such a market existed. A poor cover IMO isn't going to push them into that world.

Man these look amazing! Can't wait to pick up a NP2. Most likely going to head to GT and get one custom ordered. The Pistolini Plus grip is too tiny for my hands. Going to get a Matador Mid-size as is on my 2018 Select NP2 and some custom engravings!

Wish I had $2500 kicking around to buy that tour one!

Cobra King F9 Speedback 10.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 6s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 14.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 17* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Mizuno JPX 921 HMP 4-6 KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 7-G KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Titleist Vokey SM8 55.08 D

Titleist Vokey SM8 60.06 K 

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34'

Taylormade Tour Response Striped

Mizuno Pro Cart Bag - Staff

I putted with them today and compared to last years. They do have the same exact silver finish as last years, not smokey or whatever people were saying. Np2 looked pretty slim, had a nice feel and has a small tri sole. The 2018 ones felt harder to me. Headcover isn’t standard smooth leather, has a weird texture but isn’t as bad as the pictures.

The cover is the "ballistic nylon" material that Scotty has used on some of his covers. The 2012 US Open Smiley Face cover, for example, is the same material,. Bullet-proof stuff...I really like it as an offering for a rugged everyday head cover.

I actually really like the look of the HC. VERY bright red with the yellow pops off of it.

• Like 1

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

It is a conspiracy theory, I know but keep in mind, we ARE talking about a guy/company that has made tens of millions of dollars offering products that leave you desiring more, which they so conveniently offer in the Circle T line and special releases.

You see tons of examples of people on here saying something to the extent of "I really want to get a circle T". If you make a "decent/good headcover" included with the select line putter, why wouldn't the consumer have that same mental thought for headcovers as they do Circle T putters? It's a good/decent headcover, but is it awesome, no. Would you like an awesome one, possibly....

It could be that OR it could just be they wanted a super bright Red headcover that would stand out in the bag and grab the attention of other golfers and get them to say "Hey, is that the new Scotty? What do you think of it?"

Sometimes it's as basic of raw material supply/cost. If leather is going for a premium at the moment, they switch to nylon.

Just food for thought.

I see it differently than you I guess. I see back to the beginning, when all they had were stock covers. Then somewhere along the line the idea for custom and special released covers came along, with unique and cool designs, and at a higher price point, eventually the same for putters. They did seize on the opportunity to sell covers at a higher price point, but it's within reason at $76 as opposed to others. People were willing to pay more, they offered items to fill that demand, simple good business. At no point did they make the stock offerings purposely worse, they just introduced new offerings that make them seem more bland by comparison. You refer to these covers, and now putters, as purposely inferior in order to sell higher priced items, when in reality they're doing pretty consistently with how they've done things all along. Sure there's marketing involved, that's part of business, but IMO it's not this scheme you refer to it as.

"People were willing to pay more, they offered items to fill that demand, simple good business. At no point did they make the stock offerings purposely worse, they just introduced new offerings that make them seem more bland by comparison" Bland by comparison and "good/decent" are awfully similar in a lot of ways.

"You refer to these covers, and now putters, as purposely inferior in order to sell higher priced items" Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. If you, as a consumer, view the circle T items as premium/top notch, then that would directly mean their normal OTR line was "inferior."

"but IMO it's not this scheme you refer to it as" It's not a scheme. They aren't pulling a fast one on you to steal your money. It's a type of marketing/sales, that is simply creating a demand in a niche market. Once again, following Nike's footsteps for success. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. That's not my intentions. I do like to ask "why are they doing this or that, what's the reasoning" and think about it from marketing/sales point of view.