2020 driver royal rumble. **UPDATE**

QuigleyDU

Here it is ladies and gentleman. 2020 driver show down.

8ECFVYJSF286.jpeg

MGGNT8UHI7DQ.jpeg

I am going to provide my opinions on feel, sound, performance etc. I feel that this will be a bit on going as after I hit and got home I thought of some other things I want to add. For example driver length and swing weight. Information I didn’t get but should have.

my current set up is a 10.5 callaway epic flash triple diamond head sub zero.with a ventus blue 7x shaft straight in at 45 inches in length. I have changed the weight in the front position from the standard 4 gram weight to a 10 gram weight.

the competition.

Callaway maverik subzero 10.5 with a hazrdus green 6.5 70g.

Taylormade SIM 10.5 with hazrdus green 6.5 70g.

Cobra speedzone 10.5 with a hazrdus yellow 6.5 70g.

I tried as best I could to make this as apple to apples as I could. I had access to the haz green shaft for both the new callaway and taylormade so I decided to use that shaft. For the Cobra the hazrdus yellow was the closest I could come to a match. I know it is different but it is still a low low shaft profile.

All shots were hit with a brand new ProV1X.

first my current gamer. The callaway epic flash SZ 3D.

Impressions: I have loved this driver since it came out. I feel this driver has been the best addition to my bag in a long time. I have felt very confident all I tend to be a bit of a low launch player but with high speed. This driver is designed to launch a bit higher than the standard SZ and Gaurd against a left miss. Something I struggle with at times.

Feel: this driver feels great. Very solid, with a fast feeling.

Looks/Shape: the 3D is a 450cc head and is a little less round the the standard flash SZ. There is a bit more depth to the face as well.

sound: the standard SZ takes a beating for its sound. While the 3D is not as loud as the standard it is still loud. It does not bother me though and I actually kind of like a louder driver as long as it does not sound like a tin can.

performance: I get great distance with this driver. I like that most of the time my spin numbers are in the low to mid 2000s. Lost people seem to want low spin. I like a bit of spin. It helps to stabilize the flight.

QAICHAJ412JO.jpegNext up: SIM.

Feel: the SIM feels great. Out of all the heads I enjoyed the feel of this one the most. I fee it has the softest feel, if a titanium driver can feel soft. It also to me feels the lightest of the drivers ( again a reason I need to swing weight these drivers).

Looks: the SIM look like it has largest profile of the drivers I tested. I really like the color choices of blue, chalk, and a more grey carbon crown.

performance: I have hit this driver a bit lately and had very good numbers. Today though, I struggled with it. I just don’t know why, but it is what it is. It was just low dive bomb bullets. I feel like I was getting misreads for some reason but did not have any problems with the other drivers. You can see launch between 8 and 9 and super low spin. I will say that even in previous testing this is a low spin head. I am shocked there is an 8 degree head. I can’t even get it air born. Of all the drivers though, this gives the highest ball speeds. It is fast. below is a shot I hit previously so I have had good days with it. Today was not one of them.

I got the highest swing speeds with this driver at 126, but I did measure it and it is just shy of 46 inches. If I was to commit to this driver I would cut it down to 45 or close it it. On a previous day I have touched 184 ball speeds. Which is just screaming. Today was a bit of a struggle though.

5F4IW6RNTCG4.jpeg

VGCA3IXF0G4H.jpegCallaway Maverik.

looks: this driver is compact and sturdy looking. It looks like it has the smallest footprint. Which it should because it is smaller. It is 450cc where everything else other than my flash is 460. The face is deep’ish and looks like a cannonball. I am not a big fan of the orange but it is not a big deal.

Feel/sound: this driver is muted, it is by far the most muted of the bunch. It does not even sound like it is made of metal. The feel is solid but not harsh. It is not as soft as the TM but less harsh than the flash. I think that is due to the sound.

Performance: I know all these drivers tell a story of aerodynamics. With this driver I got my slowest averages for swing speeds right at 121-122. It feels the heaviest in terms of swing weight but I can’t say that is the case. But I will check these and provide an update. I have heard complaints of this being hook bias. I do not feel that is the case. I seemed to hit more fades with this driver than I did with the others. Also I got the slowest average ballspeed, but due to good launch and spin still didn’t lose any distance really. Of all the drivers I felt the most automatic today with this driver.

EGU5T3Y6HY45.jpegCobra Speedzone 10.5

looks: the cobra driver looks great! I really like the matte and white version. I also really like the milking along the edge of the face. I felt like it was helpful at aligning the club head and setting up square. It is right in the middle of everything footprint wise. Not too big, not too small. The head shape is a little different as well. Where the callaway was round and the Taylormade pear shaped. This is a bit more triangular. It is not sharp but that is the best why I could describe the shape.

feel: this driver feels solid, much like the cobra heads of old. Again it is right in the middle. It feels softer than my flash, and the maverik, but for firmer than the taylormade. The ball seems to leave the head quickly. The sound is probably the loudest of the group out side the flash. I like it though. It is not a tin can, but has a solid thwack.

performance: this driver is a bit of an outlier due to the shaft. It was the haz yellow with is counterbalanced. I don’t know if a counter balanced shaft if the best for me. I have never played one. Because it is somewhat different from the others, I don’t know if these numbers are optimized for this head or not. The numbers were good and pretty consistent. I just wonder if they would be better or worse with a different shaft. I just didn’t have a x flex in any other shaft to try.

This driver did produce some good numbers. I was right at my average in terms of swing speed, The spin stayed down and the ball speed stayed good. I just wonder where they would be with a better match to the others in terms of shaft.

UNHVR33BF4NK.jpegSummary: So, who went over the top rope and who was left alone hands raised in the middle of the ring? I guess you could say this is the classic happy ending where everyone won something, but no one won everything. Setting up a larger pay per view rematch with other possibly entering the drama.

Someone said they would all be similar. And, that is true, they are. But they all offer something slightly different in terms of looks, feel, and sound. Those are all as important in different ways as the numbers when choosing a driver.

I don’t know how much the current trend towards aerodynamics makes a difference. It may, but I really can’t tell. The Taylormade gave me the highest swing speeds and ball speeds but I think (need to confirm) it is also the longest in its stock setup. So is it aerodynamics or length? I don’t know.

in terms of looks, the Taylormade is my fav. I like that classic pear shape to the more angular cobra and bowling ball Callaway.

In terms of feel and sound. I prefer the cobra. It is kinda the baby bear of the group. It is kinda “ just right” . I feel the callaway lacks a bit of feedback being so muted and the Taylormade while giving great feed back is maybe a hair soft feeling. The cobra in my opinion (again, I don’t mind a bit of sound) sounds great. Many know really like that super muted sound and Callaway will give you that.

Ballflight: today Taylormade lost badly. I couldn’t get it up (That’s what she said). The maverick was consistent so was the Cobra. I think I would have to stick with my gamer if I had to choose today though. Given the right combo, I think the cobra could be a series runner here. Also maybe the SIM Max is a better fit.

If you are in the market for a driver. Go in with no pre conceived notions. Hit them all and see which check the boxes for you in terms of look, feel, and sound. They are all going to perform.

As I can and as drivers come out (Mizuno) I am going to add Them to this.

I also plan on adding the standard Mav, SIM Max, and the Cobra extreme at a later date.

plus I want am going to run through this with my buddy who is at around 110 swing speed.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Should be interesting. In for the updates.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

i am going in with zero expectations. Trying to be as unbiased as possible.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

The Iron Byron is strong in you, Luke!!!

Glad to have your contributions here for some in-field results!

You'll give us more than raw no's, I suppose such as: feel, sound, look at address, and adjustable tune factor?

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I will do my best to make it as complete as possible. Any suggestions on how to proceed are alwasy appreciated. Planning on taking some pictures, post launch monitor numbers, and give my subjective feedback.

The Current driver list for this are.

My current driver - Epic Flash SZ triple Diamond 10.5

new 2020 drivers Maverik SZ, TM SIM (and maybe SIM Max), Cobra speedzone. I am planning on testing all in the 10.5 loft range and everything in standard and neutral settings. I am thinking I will get warm then hit 4-5 shots with all of them and share all the data. I don't think it is all to helpful to just pick the good shots. You have to show the bad as well.

• Like 2

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I think it's acceptable to thrown out swings where you know you made a bad pass at the ball. We're not machines, it happens.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I'd say to include a few of the best from last year in the mix as well to see if there are any advances. I'd say the TS3 and Ping, maybe the Cobra as well.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I thought about that, but I am just worried about fatigue, and figured those have been around long enough that everyone should have tried them by now. I don't want this to take hours or days to complete. I am thinking I want to get this done in an hour or two tops. Again, not super scientific.

Also, I know I can get the shaft on the current list to match up pretty well. So it will be pretty fair. I will think about adding a couple more though.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

If I can. At the moment I not have access to one.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

In you original post you said you putting "everything" new against you old driver. Are there really only 3/4 new drivers out from OEMs this year?

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Gotcha! Didn't factor those 2 in being off years, and agree it can be difficult to get you hands on the "others".

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Mavrik does...it really does, in two ways:

1. Fast, low spin, high launch. It hit a few that carried 280 at 158 ballspeed.

2. Toe side strike that bails left...off the grid

I had a problem with mavrik and sim max face closing too much. Combine that with my normal toe side of center strike and I saw a couple with mavrik where I said "wow" that's off the grid.

• Like 1

Good call.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

i am trying to all 2020 launches. I will try to do the mizuno. I can add more. It will just take more time. I don’t mind, I just figured most would be concerned with the most recent releases.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I am really interested in your results. My TI Triple Diamond just came.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

weight do you mean? I just going to use the stock adapters with everything in neutral settings.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Any club that can launch 14 degrees and 2000 rpm at 158mph can get 280 carry. It’s science. It depends more on proper fitting and good technique.

I think you're underestimating the intent of my comment. Sure, any club that hits those numbers will produce that result...

I've hit a ton of drivers the last 2 months and 3 clubs produced those numbers or came close

Mavrik sz

Epic flash triple dismond

Sim and sim max came close

Ts3 - nope

G410 and 410 lst - not close

F9 or speed zone not close

Mavrik is really good. Except that toe strike.

The ts3 does. Those are almost my exact numbers. I’m usually around 155, 156 ball speed with 2000-2100 spin. I can’t swing any faster and maintain good launch.

I haven’t been on monitor with sim or maverick yet.

Happy bday young Quigg.

I know you swing in the mid to upper 120's but if you wouldn't mind maybe trying to snap a few data points closer to the 110-115 range if you have the time? Almost nobody here swings like you and although it's really cool to see bombs being hit, it's tough to draw conclusions for the 'regular' wrx'er who lives more in the low to maybe mid 100s.

• Like 1