2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

TM SIM VS KE4 TC 1 st post updated

Popeye64

So I went onto the Sim today with a driver shootout in mind. I had my M5 9.0, ISO-T 10.5, new KE4 TC 10.0 and the new SIM 9.0

As a disclaimer for the ISO-T 10.5 it is not an ideal setup for me and I do much better with the 9.5. But I wanted something to judge the new KE4 TC. For those who do not know the KE4 is a brand new Maltby release that is cast TI and adjustable hosel. It has a single weight port and slight fins on the crown, like a Ping which is a departure for Maltby. Crown has a beautiful matte finish and the fins make it look like a shark..

I wish I had all matching shafts but that's not gonna happen. The Sim has a Hazardous Green 6.0. KE4 had an Xcaliber Superlite55 S tipped one inch. ISO-T had a Paderson Kinetixx S and the M5 had a Superlite55 S.

I decided to hit all of them 8 shots each and then drop it down to the top two. The SIM jumped out as an early leader then the KE4 followed by the M5. The ISO-T while being super consistent just spins too much to keep up with the other guys. Later in the week I hope to get my ISO-T 9.5 back for some more head to head. The M5 suffered from badly leaking out to the right but did it in a very tight group.

So It came down to the KE4 and the SIM. Both of these driver are obviously brand new to me so the learning curve was steep. The SIM was very consistent right out of the box and produced some great numbers that were very repeatable. The KE4 took a little more to get comfortable with but matched the SIM once I got it going.

What surprised me is how often I thought I hit a garbage shot with the SIM only to see it went just as far as all the rest. It was very forgiving on mishits... kind of in a freaky way.

The KE4 hit some of the longest of the day and I have yet to tinker with either club for launching both a bit higher. Feel and sound wise I have to give the nod to the SIM. It has a slightly softer feel and a little less impact noise. KE4 was just a bit firmer and only slightly louder.

On The numbers posted the KE4 carry was hampered by a 250 carry that I should have thrown out. But the numbers are very close. I actually got better ball speed per club head speed out of the KE4. The SIM had awesome club head speed but only matched the KE4 in ball speed. I also threw in a session with the ISO-T and you can see how those spin numbers just kill performance but the ball speed was right there even with lesser club head speed.

Y8VQ13EA2VDP.jpg

TM30FEO1RVW7.jpg

YVMAABU2ZA0L.jpgThe SIM was 46" long with my other two being 45". On the Flightscope I have the SIM written down as an M6.

For the hell of it I switched to the E6 software and did a session with just the KE4. That setup has medium fairways and isnt as kind to roll out.

C0CH91AZNUQF.jpgI have to say how surprised I was with the KE4 keeping up with the SIM. During the next week I'll get more data with comparisons after tweaking both clubs along with data that includes the ISO-T 9.5. All told I have $205 into the KE4. Not too shabby, well less than half price of the TM. I do have to say that the SIM is an amazing driver. Feel, consistency and looks are awesome. If I didn't care about cost I would lean towards the TM.

I ran them a second time with matching shafts. Xcaliber Superlite55 S tipped an inch, 45", same grip. I hit 5 of the SIM and the 5 of the KE4. reviewed the data and then hit 5 more of each.

5105HHVDGA4I.jpg

7LOD3TPGT609.jpg

DC4OODKWEYO9.jpgThe KE4 edged out the SIM in overall distance. Matched it in balls speed and spun the ball 300+ rpms less. The SIM is faster in club head speed so the aero is certainly working but it disnt translate into club head speed.

The data shows these clubs are certainly close with just a bit of a nod to the KE4. For a club that is well below half the cost,,, for me the choice is simple.

I'm sure either club with time and tweaking can be made to give better results but I wanted as close a comparison as possible. The KE4 gives up nothing to the SIM.

I also repeated the test on the E6 software and its negligible which is better after hitting 3 a piece. KE4 is the first picture.

SPH9YYD8W1SY.jpg

YOTL6DC60CGW.jpgKE4 again bettered the SIM. Didnt expect to see anything different..... Dont sleep on these KE4 heads.

Face height isnt overly big. I think its 2.2" high. I should have compared it to the SIM. Visually the SIM seems smaller as it has a lot of swoops and reliefs to aid in aero. So it may seem smaller than it is.

I didnt find the toe very often with the KE4 but when I did it wasnt overly punishing. As a matter of fact it didnt do anything crazy. It was plenty forgiving even on bad strikes. I wouldnt call it as forgiving as the SIM as that seemed wildly forgiving.

I am very interested to give this driver some quality time. I dont think it will be longer than the ISO-T 9.5 but I know it will be more forgiving.

I do need to see why it seems to be on the wrong side of the AOA scale. If I can correct that,, and it may just be me,, it could be very long.

I definitely believe that the head shape has a lot to do with the increase in clubhead speed. My buddy the pro jumped up from his M5 to 124 mph From a previous high of 121.

I have a picture of the dispersion of the 3 clubs. The KE4 was the 1st club of the session so if I threw out the 1st shot that was short and the 2nd shot that was way right the dispersion of the KE4 and the SIM would be very close. Friday I'll have a chance to run both of them again. There is another screen shot from the simulator that didnt make it through in the email that was just the two drivers. That chart has them being very close in dispersion.

GINPWF08YLLR.jpgAgain the SIM is marked as an M6

5 yards more carry with the SIM and more spin with a heavier shaft. The Maltby is close but it's not identical. It would be interesting to see how they would stack up with similarly weight shafts/the same shaft (make a TM tipped SUperlite)

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

That's exactly what I will be doing for Friday. Two identically setup Superlite55 S both tipped an inch. To be fair with the carry numbers there is a 250 carry in the KE4 numbers that was the first swing of the session. I cant get rid of it once its hit with out a certain option checked off so I just ran with it.

I'll run them both on the Flightscope software and then on the E6. Ill get a dispersion chart as well. With a little more preparation this time I'll collect cleaner data. Just hope I bring a good swing Friday.

Ok so I'm a little bit ahead of my time frame and I have the shaft setup for the TM SIM. Superlite55 S, tipped one inch, playing length will be 45". Identical grips as well. The CPM on the two shafts is 268 and 269 so they are about as close as it can get. They are also set to the factory Pure marks or FLO whichever you want to call it.

So this should be as fair of a comparison as possible. I'll also collect data two days in a row and try and have someone else hit them. Loft wise is a question as one is a 9.0 (SIM),,and the other is a 10.0 (KE4) but they are both adjustable. I'll try and measure actual loft as best I can. Drivers dont fit in the loft and lie machine and i cant find the protractor. I will use a digital angle finder though.

Not sure if I even have to worry about actual loft as they are such different designs. So comparatively it probably means nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I'm spending more time with the KE4 I'm really loving what I'm seeing. High and straight with ball speed in the 160s. Launch is 16-18 and spin is under 3000. Hitting the ball that high is not something I have done in a long time.

UJRSEC931TO4.jpg

YNV1WA9Z95SP.jpgNearly 280 of carry and when the spin drops down it just goes forever.

• 2 weeks later...

In the hands of a Pro golfer the KE4 performed extremely well. I made one up with a Tensi Blue shaft. It was an S tipped and inch which still makes it feel more like a soft S. He remarked that he disnt like these shafts before he began to swing. He was hardly warmed up when he blast these drives. He made a total of 8 swings. It was comical what he got this driver to do.

VMPL742W12I1.jpg

LEB50KDN7VH5.jpgHe has not seen this kind of performance out of a driver before and he owns the simulator.

• Like 1

Picked up one of the Maltby KE4 Tour TC drivers from Golfworks after following the posts from @Popeye64 and it arrived today. Really impressed with the look of this head. Nice deep face and sits fantastic behind the ball. Fit and finish is flawless and feels as premium as anything out right now. I ordered the pack and am going to shaft it with a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black HBP X flex. Of course we're about to get 1-3" of snow here in NC today so it may be a little while before I can actually swing it.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/103/7F7TP94VT9G8.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/462/SMWHL1LTXBTS.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/197/G6U2S1VG8SK0.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/012/R725QE58D48C.jpg[/img]