Hitting "players" clubs better than G.I. clubs?

BobaDefett

Great post!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

This is very interesting...... Do you know of an article about this?

I've experienced this once. I used my dad's i3 pings during a round and was able to shoot a pretty good score. I thought it was going to be a disaster of a round.....

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

The first line in your link does state that "Ballstriking has many definitions".

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

IMHO, if you start practicing with a blade, eventually you will become a good hitter. This type of clubs rewards you when the ball is well hit and its addictive, it will also let you know when you hit it bad; not only bad shots, but your hands will hurt.

Now, the SGI irons will help a lot and mute all the deficiencies one may have. This maybe a perfect club for people that just want to have fun in golf and play decently. The thing, I don’t like, from GI irons is that you won’t learn much from them... they’ll make you happy hitting a 7i - 190 yds and you can keep it that way.

When I changed from M2 to MP18SC, I struggled at first with distance. I was forcing my swing to achieve the same distance, until I understood that there are many things different, including the loft, and accepted the distance that the MP offered... then it all became better. It’s maybe two clubs shorter (in club Stamped number) but it’s consistent and best of all, very very addictive when the ball is hit correctly.

>>IMHO, if you start practicing with a blade, eventually you will become a good hitter.

Probably for some, but not for everyone. Some people just don't have the natural ability to swing consistently enough.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

If any of you guys advocating small players clubs for mid-cappers live in the Los Angeles area by Torrance please PM me. I'd love to watch you hit balls using different types of heads. I'll even build a couple of GI clubs with shafts you like so we can do a proper comparison. I truly would like the opportunity to see someone that scores in the high 80's hit a small CB better than a G410 (for example).

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Well, I think it’s for everyone. If you start with a blade (players irons) you will eventually, after lots of practice, master it.

Of course it will take less effort to do it with a SGI club.

But effort and practice is what makes a difference in golf, not so much SGI irons.

In my case, I learned to play golf in the 80’s and it was with my dad’s Wilson irons ... I learned and left golf for 30 years ... I started again 4 years ago, with M2 irons, I hit them far and good; but then I changed to Mizuno MP18SC and those made a significant change.... it was hard in the beginning, as I was forcing the swing trying to achieve the same distance as M2’s, but then when I accepted the new distance of this clubs (maybe two clubs less) I found consistency and feel.

I can say the MP’s showed my errors in a clearer way, Which allowed me to work more specific into the bad things.

PS: I got a set of G400 irons after the M2, but I couldn’t hit them at all. Maybe it was the shaft, but in my mind it was that I started playing with those blade Wilson so many years ago. The MP’s where after a long fitting, where I tested a lot of GI irons and it was better for ME the smaller sole irons.

Sure you can but in that case one wouldn't typically say "Ball striking in general hasn't been my weakness. My issues have been 1) hitting a decent amount of GIR's".

He'd qualify with something like "I hit my irons very well but have a lot of trouble keeping my tee ball in the fairway".

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I played blades for many years and got myself down to a 2 handicap at my best. Iron play was never a strong point of my game, but I always hit the ball better with blades than GI irons. I tried GI a couple times and just could never get used to the bigger heads and wider soles. I’m a steep, big divot taker for reference. I just could never dial in the GI clubs until a couple years ago when I picked up a set of I-20’s. I hit them well enough to bag them. I don’t track my stats so I don’t know if my GiR’s went up, but I felt like I got better results out of my bad swings with them and stuck with them for that reason. I can’t work the ball both ways with them, but I honestly hit them mostly just straight because I don’t ever hit big curves. Now after a 2 year layoff from the game, I’ve decided to go back to blades just for the sheer enjoyment of playing them. I’m not sure what my results will be, but I know I’ll enjoy looking at them over the ball more than the I-20’s.

It may be technique, yes, but that's my experience from my own game.

You could put a Ping G in Tiger's hands and he could do what he wanted with it under any tree or lie, doesn't mean everyone else can.

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

I don't really agree with this. I can hit a G410 iron and know where on the face i made contact.

These threads sometimes seem incongruous , people argue that SGI's won't help you shoot better scores but also make it sound like it's virtually impossible to hit anything other than a long and straight ball with an SGI. If all you had to do is pick up a G410 7 iron and you'll hit it 190yds and straight....than people would shoot better scores.

The clubs add value in the margins but nothing more than that. SGI's will tell you where your misses are if you are good enough to know what good contact feels like

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I play blades. Small heads, thin soles, traditional lofts (36* 7 iron...) and I'm currently a 12.4 handicapper.

I started playing them when I was a ~20 handicapper.

For me, playing blades is like driving a stick shift vs driving an automatic car.

They offer me a feeling of more control, enjoyment/satisfaction, and confidence. I just love seeing my blade behind the ball. Even my bladed 3 iron - I love it. Not once have I ever actually thought 'oh, I wish I had one of those mega huge hollow strong lofted shovels' after a bad shot. A bad shot is just a bad shot, and hopefully a learning opportunity. However, when I pure one and the shot shape is exactly how I wanted, that one shot can literally make my entire round. Even if my score is not great and I only properly pureed 1 or 2 shots in 18 holes, I'm satisfied. That's how good it feels. Seriously.

Also, without a doubt, playing blades has slowly but surly transformed my swing over the last 7 years I've had them. In a good way. I descend on the ball more now, take a divot, forward shaft lean, compression, all that good stuff. I've be forced to learn to strike the ball this way because you have to in order to get any kind of consistency with thin soled blades. I also fully understand the feeling of how to work the ball high/low/left/right, which I think I do credit to all my experience playing blades. I think if I never started playing blades id still be a sweeper who just visualizes straight shots - which just seems so boring now. Effective and logical, but boring... kinda like an automatic car.

Anyways. I personally don't think handicap should have much to do with determining what iron type you go with. For me its whatever makes you feel more confident and helps you enjoy the game more.

if anyone is ever in Montreal and wants to see someone flight balls high or low, shape shots....and do all of this with an SGI club (a feat more difficult than the 4 minute mile apparently)

Just let me know! I will be happy to leave your mouths agape with awe and wonder

-"How did that ball not just go straight and 190yds????"

....But alas, the magician will not reveal his secrets, only leave you with a sense of childlike bewilderment

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

"IMHO, if you start practicing with a blade, eventually you will become a good hitter."

Why ?

Eventually you will become a better striker of the ball, but "good" ? Where's that guarantee ?

"This type of clubs rewards you when the ball is well hit and its addictive, it will also let you know when you hit it bad; not only bad shots, but your hands will hurt."

As Jeff said just above, there's nothing magical about a blade that lets one know where he missed the ss on the face. I've got my shovels and I pretty much guarantee you that when I miss the SS I can tell you where I hit it on the face as well. It's a matter of experience, not clubhead.

Titleist Pro V1X

MtIJeff and nszguy,

I don't think anyone is saying you can only shape shots with blades or that hitting blades will make you a better ball striker, guaranteed. I hope they aren't saying this at least? obviously we know that is wrong.

But I feel, for me at least (may not apply to all), as someone who started playing 'players irons' / blades at a high handicap, they did give me the kick in the pants I needed to become a better ball striker and learn the art of controlling ball flight. Its just how it went down for me, 10 years with 'GI' irons and no real changes to swing or ball striking, then as soon as I went to blades everything just started to change, and it is not a coincidence.

Is it because of the blades? yes, and no. The club head shape itself is not why things changed for me. There is no technical engineering that can explain it. It was all in my head. Its because I found equipment that gave me confidence, and inspired me. Equipment that made me WANT to get better and learn to see things in a new light.

Maybe one day I'll care more about getting 2 stokes less per round than the pure enjoyment I get out of playing my blades and ill switch to a GI iron, but for now, I play for fun and blades are just more fun. To me. And having fun makes me want to play more and playing more helps me get better.

Hey man, thanks for not taking what i said too personally. Look i totally support you playing whatever you want, 100% agree that guys should play what gives them the most enjoyment. We aren't pros and we are all mostly playing this game for fun.

I just get defensive a bit when i think people are saying you can't play real golf with SGI's (shaping shots, knowing your misses etc)

I'm happy you are enjoying the game and enjoying your clubs!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I drive a stick. I stall it occasionally. Sometimes I accidentally start it in gear and it lurches forward( this is particularly embarrassing). I get nervous when I have to start going on an uphill. But its more fun to me and I just prefer it over an auto. and I feel it makes me a better driver because I'm just more engaged and connected to the task at hand.

Good analogy for blades?? :)

I too would also challenge this and I know you are right. I have done many, many fits and I can not say that I have a single instance where someone who needed GI irons (and that too can be subjective) didn't hit them better than a thinner players type iron. There may be subtle feel differences or shape preferences that the player is more interested in keeping aligned to their preferences, but to say "no I hit players irons better than GI irons" is a lie. I distinctly remember a scenario where a guy took up golf with Miura baby blades (and got down pretty good to about an 8 or so with them) and came to get fit. I gave him 585 to try and he literally buttoned every single one and gained 20 yards on average (partly loft, partly proper shaft, partly "forgiveness"), I just couldn't get them to spin enough for him. If I could have gotten them to spin properly, and I tried everything, I wouldn't have let him get anything else.

I wish I could somehow download all of my fitting data I've done over the past several years into a database in R and run the standard deviations regarding distance, peak height, spin, and contact. I have all of the data regarding lofts on each of their fitting profiles, along with their handicaps, that I could easily access. It's just a matter of having the time to do it. But it would be unarguably be probably the first study that I know of looking at whether GI irons actually "help" or not, across a wide variety of swing speeds, handicaps, age ranges, and shaft material. Maybe if I have some spare time this spring/summer I will sit down and sift the data.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

My girlfriend plays SGI irons. They are the first ones I've hit in years. I actually find them easier to shot shape than my blades, I think because they are a bit more forgiving of hitting it slightly thin or fat... which I tend to do when trying to manipulate club path or AoA. However, the offset puts me off a bit and does take a few shots to get used to it.

"I play for fun and blades are just more fun. To me."

I'm not sure I agree with your circular reasoning but THIS is all that matters.

Titleist Pro V1X

Forgiveness between blades and SGI irons is not as much as some think until you get into the lower lofted irons in the 5-3 iron range. With that said the magic that some say comes when you play blades and become a better ball striker is total FUD. The only thing that makes you better is practice regardless of the club type. I am in the 5-10 handicap range and shoot the same scores with blades as I do with SGI irons but I feel a lot more comfortable with blades or cavity backs. That comfort to me means more than the almost unmeasurable forgiveness I get from SGI irons. For some I bet the opposite is true and they just feel more comfortable with SGI's. In the end who cares :) play what you want