2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I think this thread might just have run its course...but I still want to put in a word about the MP4s with Attas 115X carbon shafts I just got and tried out at the range today.

In a word, amazing. I really like the extra 0.5" in the short irons as it stops me feeling hunched over the ball. I don't really need it in the longer irons, but it has given me an idea about re-shafting an old set up with a PW starting at 36" then going up in 3/8" increments, so I get closer to standard lengths in the long irons. I think some Macgregor iron sets were made that way.

The Attas shafts feel great, though I need to see how they perform with real balls instead of the lousy range balls. I certainly didn't see any ballooning, but I was getting a nice, high ball flight that was still penetrating. Also, I felt enough flex in the shaft to not feel any need to force it, yet it was still stiff enough that I never felt it was getting away from me.

I adjusted the PW to 48* and went down in 4* increments from there, except I left 3* between the 5i and 4i (25*) just to make it that bit easier to hit (more mental than anything). I had to do weaken the PW, because I was seeing a gap of about 20 yards between it and my new 52* wedge. Incidentally, I like that both the shafts in my 52* and 58* are 35.5" as it blends in nicely with the 36" PW.

I also adjusted the lies. They were pretty flat, and I found the toe was digging into the mat. IIRC, the PW was between 61* and 60*, and I bumped it to a hair over 64*. I had to do something similar with the rest of the set, too.

My only grumble is that the face of the 7i appears to be oddly closed to me. Not sure if it's just me, and I don't know of a way to check if it, nor adjust it.

• Like 1

I've noticed something odd with this thread lately, even when there are new posts, it's not been showing up as unread to me. Such as this morning. I happened to notice it at the top of the "posts I've participated in" list, but it was marked as read. As such, I've missed several days worth of posts. Odd.

Catchy, I don't believe irons have a face angle the way woods do. They can, though, be weighted such that they roll in a specific direction when soled with a loose grip pressure.

What you're describing with the longer short irons and PW is something I've done with my clubs for quite a few years. I've tried to have my PW be at the same length as my 9 iron, at 36", in part due to my shortish arms; not fond of having to bend that far at address or in the swing. I also tried the 3/8" length slope idea with my set of Ram TG-898s, the previous owner had set them up that way, starting with a 36" PW. I admit I didn't really notice much, other than really appreciating the slightly longer short irons. The performance, such as I remember, was as I'd expected.

Not sure this thread has played out, for a fair number of us, it's dead winter, and golf is forced to the back burner somewhat. I know it has been for me. Though interestingly, as a necessary side effect to having bought a new car for myself, my wife and I reorganized the golf clubs in our garage, with the irons now being stored in our house, the extra sets rubber banded together. Found my imagination ramping up on how I might use this or that set, including the Wilson 78 Tour Blades I've never actually played. I'd always thought they were a mixed set, and have a couple of odd club lengths, but it turns out it's largely just the 7 iron that is mismatched, with a Dynamic Regular, while the rest of the set is Dynamic Stiff. Giving some thought to buying a replacement, regripping them, and taking them out on the course.

Though, a lot of work for a set that's not really part of the standard rotation. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You're right about it not showing up as unread! You posted after me, yet on the Equipment forum just now, the thread was showing as already read (not bolded). Odd...

Regarding the shaft lengths, I've had a problem with short irons for a while now simply because I feel I am reaching down with them too much. On the other hand, I don't want massively extended long irons because that makes good contact harder. Hence the 3/8" increment idea. Definitely an experiment I want to try, and I have a set of clubs that need reshafting

• Like 1

Wanted to comment on the graphite shafts, also...

You may remember a couple years ago, I went through the process of setting up one of my Golden Ram sets with NV 105 graphite. I found they provided excellent wind play, much better than I'd expected. It reminds me of something that's often said about the potential of graphite shafts, they can do much more with the flex profile than can be accomplished with steel. Makes one wonder if my observed results are the product of Aldila's efforts in that regard, or if it's merely power of suggestion on my part. LOL

As a side note: those NV105 were available for a long time at Hireko, but the supply is finally exhausted. End of an era.

I keep watching the graphite shaft options, seeing if Aldila will be coming out with a replacement for the RIP Tours of a few years ago. It's been rumored for a while, but nothing has materialized, at least not that I've noticed. Also wish there were more options in heavier shaft weights, but maybe I've become a dinosaur in that arena; few want 130g iron shafts anymore. And maybe I should start thinking about lighter myself, at 56 now and won't be getting any younger. 

1f609.png

1f914.png

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Age and the hernia were the other two reasons why I decided on these MP4s so quickly. I liked the extra length of the shafts, but also figured that they'd be easier to swing.

I'm also looking at steel shafts in the 115g range. Heavy shafts help me drop the club into the slot, but I've got be realistic about what I can continue to play.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll 3rd the thread showing up as "read" on my participation page.

I'm not sure thread has fully run course (yet) because I 'll have a bunch of preening posts about builds coming in the pike, lol. Also, somewhat odd but WRX has become less toxic about blades and such in last year or two. Minds are opening a bit or people are drinking the koolaid, depends you're POV. Quite remarkable the slew of OEM offerings that abound these days, would not have imagined it 5 years ago. Who knew Ping would issue their own BB. Personally, love the new Cobra's Fowler is using. But I'm so knee deep in sets doubt I would up and buy if they went retail. Have my dollars earmarked on shafts and bombardier gear of driver and fairways. Right now, my swing is in stinkville but it's cleaning up of late. Started a gym routine, which knocked body IQ down to 60 while my muscles adjust to fitness again (been a while). Also, realized my takeaway had a flaw and made a tweak that set me righteous. Played 12 last Friday, have hit the range an average of 2X a week past month, not bad for Yankee winter, so no complaints.

• Like 2

Add me in as well to the not seeing the thread, was always showing as no new posts for me, even though it was near the top? Agreed this thread hasnt run it's course at all - still plenty of new releases out there, and I'm sure we all have some models from the past we haven't hit yet - for instance if a set of Apex 99s or even TP-9s turn up in a used rack near me there's a good chance they'll come home with me ?

Progress has been a stop start for me due to the bastard rain, but the Shotscope has proved very interesting so far. It really is hassle free - install the tags, set up your bag and courses then off you go. It picks up which course you are playing and loads it automatically when you get there. When out on the course it goes about its business with very little input - just tag where the pin is and how many putts you had - all with one button press. The data it picks up is really good - takes a little getting used to but I can see the potential. For instance at the moment my distances are all over the place, as I didn't realise you could mark a shot as "Positional" after the round and take it out the yardage calculations - so my 5 iron is looking a little short as it's including some fairly heroic punch outs ? well worth the £139 though.

Have only got out to test it a couple of times though with the weather - played in a couple of winter league games where I could. Was mid 80s for both whilst tinkering with a new bag set up and the (hopefully) last of the swing changes - so lots of potential to improve when the ground conditions get a bit more consistent. Last round could have been much worse after some wayward tee shots, but my irons were about the best the ever been - I'd tell you my average proximity if I could figure out that part of shotscope ?

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

So the MP68s are back in the bag, need to gap test them but I'm hoping these can finally become a permanent fixture! Added some 919 Tours to the long irons for a bit of help!

If anyone catches me swapping to another set of irons before these are worn out, shout at me!!!!

KHGQCRU56VZ9.jpg

VG6N8LPA33G1.jpg

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

I use the MP68 5 iron for range work to reduce wear on the other clubs :)

The 919 Tours actually blend well with the 68s if you want four degree loft increments as the 919 tour 5 iron is 27 degrees and the 68 6 iron is 31 degrees

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Got it. The 919 tours do seem to blend well with the 68s (and other recent MP offerings, for that matter).

I was close to buying a set of 68s late last year, but I held off because the shafts weren't a good fit for me. I've heard people say they are one of Mizuno's softest-feeling irons.

They are nice. I can't compare them to the other Mizuno blades but they are noticeably softer than Titleist 718 CB and MB which are almost clicky in comparison.

I still need to gap test them but they certainly flight the ball nicely.

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Question for you guys. I have played quite a few different models of blades. Titleist , Mizuno, Nike.

I recently got a good deal on a set of Callaway Apex MB's in the raw finish. I really want these clubs to be the one. But the shaft in them may be wrong for me.

Life long dynamic gold S300 or S400 player. These came with true temper 120 S400 TI. I wont lie, the thin wall to save 10 grams in these shafts makes them feel i guess not solid, almost cheap.

Anyway I think if I put my standard go to S300 it should make them feel more of what i am looking for. A solid (but soft) impact. fingers crossed.

anybody else been down this road or similar before?

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Sorry if I'm interrupting the conversation but, i was at a little winter tune up thing my golf coach told me about ( i play high school) and i was getting some great advice on swinging with an iron vs a wood and i pulled out my 7 iron to take a few swings and i hit maybe 2 balls before i decided i was too tight to swing and put the club down leaning against my bag and stretched, i picked my club back up and went to grab a ball and as i leaned over to reach into the bucket and in doing so i heard a loud snap only to look down and find out that the head of my club had snapped off and was beyond repair, I finished the lesson and afterwards me and my coach checked all my irons to see if something was wrong with them and we discover that 3 other clubs had hairline cracks going down the shaft, i did some research and called mizuno only to find out that my warranty on the clubs expired last month, it'll cost about 600 bucks to buy new shafts and have them installed... at least that's what mizuno said. Iv decided that I'm gonna have to get a new set of irons and abandon my mp18 mmc and I've been looking around and dont really know what i want to get or even what would look similar to them, any recommendations on cb's that aren't too lady but also aren't to chunky and big.

I did slapped some lead tape on the backs of the heads it improved a little, but I think I may try the grips. Thanks for the tip. I am going to regrip myself anyway to my Lamkins and maybe I’ll put a length of lead tape under the grip as well. Have never tried that

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Catchy, so you pulled the trigger on them Clevelands. They are the nicest wedge going I think. The Miuras I looked at last year probably felt nicer and maybe looked slightly nicer, but I don't think they have the spin. Finally have a wedge set up I'm comfortable with. And, not feeling like doing anything with the majority of my bag - Just eyeing the TM SIM fairways. They might be the ticket - a modern v-steel 18 turned down to 17 or something like that.

Haven't played in a while, but I just booked a couple times over in Hawaii. Mauna Kea and Hapuna on the Big Island. Thinking of taking the Pro82 as they are my favorite set of blades. In the few times I've gone out to the range they are the longest, highest launching MB I have. So, they are bouncing TN87s, MS-203s, Yamaha Suttons, Hogan Redlines, Maruman Conductors and a few others I'm too buzzed to remember. Still though, nothing feels like, or sets up like, the MR23 CBs I've got - they are probably more compact and have a slight bit of leading edge relief.

Yep. Still getting used to them, but they're showing much promise. They spin like crazy, or maybe that's a feature of all new wedges. I used the MD2s for so long, I forgot what new wedges were like.

You're going to Hawaii soon? Be nice to get away from the dreary weather here for a bit.

Looking forward to driving the ball at some resort courses where they won't have in course out of bounds on all four sides of the hole. Where a hazard on the course is not white staked... And so on...I'll probably be able to break 80 once... the last three times I've been to Hawaii I failed to break 80 on one trip... Probably because the second round was played at Royal Hawaiian on Oahu. That was my first time playing a Pete Dye track. It reminded me of 18 Pastures in Mission BC, Canada, but with nicer carts.

Thought I'd mention, the read/unread issue I'd been having appears to have cleared up. :)

Can’t wait to get these beauties outside in the spring!

LK3N2G0EROS6.jpeg

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

A bud of mine who is also a leftie plays that same set and he loves them.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

They are soft -- I have a set that hit about as soft as my old MP-33s--- I need to get them back out and play them some--- My problem is that I have so many sets and such little time these days---- But hopefully retirement is in April of this year--- I found mine in a pawn shop beat up but grooves in good shape for $50--- They had S-300s in them but I changed the to R-300s because of my back

Well done---- Love it doing it with Vega blades---- I bet most of the crowd did not even know what Vega blades were

BTW man beautiful trophy!!!!

With me at this stage of life and with my back it is an balancing act---- Now I need lighter shafts and have sorta went back in time to old school shafts---- But yeah these thinner light weight shafts feel funny to me for some reason and I can not pinpoint why. The older Hogan Apex 2 and 3 shafts are what I mostly use but I do have a set of older Rifle Precision 5.5 in a set of KZGs. It is supposed to be getting colder here now so I will more than likely switch to the KZGs for the winter. It was brutal yesterday morning in the Dog Fight at Indigo Creek and I was not getting squat out of the old Macs. Knew last night about 6:00 I had pushed the issue a little. But ibuprofen and heat helped me. Got up this AM and did my stretching exercises with the 5 lb weights got the rest of the kinks out.

• Like 1