Lamb vs Swag vs CNC vs Bastain Milled vs 2012-2014 Milled Scottys vs Toulon

So Lamb putters seem to be untouchable price wise on the re-sale market and due to his process, rare to get your hands on. What is the difference between that and any of the other milled putters out there? Obviously the small guys are more precise, are making one at a time -- but from a feel perspective...does the price tag validate the product? Just making an observation - I'm a fan of all of the above. I just know a re-sale Lamb is closer in price to a Tour Scotty than anything else.

Price has nothing to do with effectiveness of a putter. They charge what the market will pay them. We can close the thread now.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I mean, assuming the same materials used (carbon, stainless, etc) the face surface or milling will have alot to do with feel.

I, myself like the feel of "click", so I prefer smooth faced putters... deeper milling will create a softer feel.

I think any of these manufacturers will do whatever u want... just for how much $

Great answer, even Scotty Cameron said the reason he priced his circle T headcovers was because that’s what the market supported.

The difference between all these is $$$$$ and what you perceive as “feel” is really the sound the putter makes when striking the ball,,,if I handed you a milled and a cast GSS, Stainless and Carbon putter, unbranded, had you wear earplugs and over ear protection,,, you would no be able to tell the difference in “feel”.

Shape you like is the only difference.

Tyson’s putters have higher resale value because he’s been brilliantly turning out accessories at an absurd margin, and building support around that, while not making putters. So demand is going up, supply is staying the same, prices go up. The kid (well man, but younger than me) literally could not have played the market better.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

As someone mentioned, I think the Lamb brand has such a limited amount of putters compared to Scotty or even Swag (who I think has some available to order currently in stock) plus Lamb’s ever so popular donuts - that it creates a desire to have something not everyone can get.

That was the premise of my post - fundamentally, is there a difference between a milled putter? I know the face mill and the material are critical. But a Scotty Newport (off the rack) or a Lamb putter - all things being equal - $225 resale vs $1500 resale, is there actually a difference? Or is it a function of brand, economics, popularity, scarcity? To me I would think same thing - different logo. But just food for thought.

I’d say it’s almost all marketing/business practices. As was stated earlier, nuances in shape can play a role as well. Do you like a tri-sole? Thinner or rolled top line? Unique face mill pattern? These vary from maker to maker. Whether any of those subtle differences make the price difference worth it is only up to the buyer of course.

I have rolled my PING nickel Scottsdale Anser ( what the Cameron 009 is ) then a Cameron 009 stainless and the difference was none,, a PING Anser2 stainless and a Cameron Newport 2 OEM, again difference was zero,,

‘Like it has been said, it’s all about the brand ,,,, Look at photos of many pro’s their gamer is something we can find at most pro shops,,

It’s crazy. It’s almost like in the last few years the strengths and weaknesses have flipped. Cameron used to be one of the few options if you wanted a quality milled putter OTR. Now if you don’t want an insert you need to look elsewhere and basically everybody else offers a quality milled option. Boutique guys used to be where you get exactly what you want. Now many have pared down to offering 2 or 3 shapes max and some mentioned on this thread don’t even offer custom options. Meanwhile many OEMs can give you whatever you are looking for.

I would hardly call Tyson Lamb brilliant. I think he missed his opportunity to make a mark as most are turned off by his game playing ways and is viewed by many as to cocky and entitled. He has the talent but not the heart IMO.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Tyson Lamb had a chance a couple years ago to actually crank out some putters and become a well known name. In fact I recall him saying at one point he was going to release a "stock" line in the 600-700 range. But ultimately he decided to keep cranking out inane trinkets like donut ball markers, and selling a putter just here and there for 5k or whatever. Some others like Cody James and Olson Mfg. seem to be following this same business model.

Anyway I'm turned off by it as well, and there's plenty of guys who will sell you an excellent stick in the 500-600 range. Swag, Toulon, Lajosi, Byron, Burns, etc.

The whole thing is so bizarre. When I first saw the donuts and the early putters that splashed around they looked amazing. Then the future trinkets were all incredibly sophmoric, Lambassadors started acting very aggressive and condescending to any criticism, and the putters NEVER MATERIALIZED. They said they LOST their list of customers and orders. They would build all this hype for a putter release and then they would never come. It all turned me off and I sold off my few trinkets and moved on.

Even now it’s very confusing. I admittedly haven’t kept up with it but it seems like years later putters have never come out. The social media posts of putters are all “throwback” to this putter years ago. The talk about Lambs holding value, is it true? There are some listed on eBay but what are they really selling for? There are non out there. If you search “Tyson Lamb” on eBay it will Automatically take you to the “golf accessories” section. Is there like a secret other person actually making the putters who quit? Can you get putter making yips? Is there some sort of magical curse situation? It’s just so weird.

• Like 1

There is no better value than Toulon for a milled putter right now, but they definitely aren't boutique putters. Some guys just want what they perceive as the absolute best regardless of cost. If a putter is made one at a time by a master craftsman it will cost more, as it should. People pay for exclusivity. If you have the money and want to spend it there is always someone there to sell it.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X