2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mavrik Love

Chip2win

Does anyone think that either the Mavrik max or SIM Max will be a better offering than the G400 max? Has anyone had a chance to compare? I love the look of the better player drivers but have played a Rogue driver for a while, picked up G400 max this summer and that has just made the game easier to play for me - a bit of an eye opener honestly. Just straight and long. If anyone playing the G400 max can compare to either of those max drivers I would like to hear some thoughst on that.

• Like 2

TM is doing the bonus as are retailers like Golf Galaxy, PGA SS, etc. I’d prefer to do it through Global Golf or 3balls as I have a bunch of credit their from previous bonuses plus their values are better than brick and mortar retailers. As you said Callaway has the best values overall which is partly why I traded in what I did to them on the Mavrik. Global/3balls are the next best as their values on many clubs are comparable.

I have had a hip issue for the last few months but received my Mavrik SZ a couple weeks ago and am finally hitting balls again. Ive had the original epic SZ, the rogue SZ, and the epic flash SZ as well.

Here are my ranks:

Mavrik SZ

Epic Flash SZ

Epic SZ

Rogue SZ

The mavrik has been really, really easy to hit. I dont think im any longer than i was with the epic flash but everything feels like a sweet spot. It also feels a little lighter, possibly due to the lack of slider weight. Time will tell I guess as I get to hit balls more often hopefully but definite thumbs up so far.

Callaway

Similar here. Original EPIC SZ. I hit the Mavrik today, while it was a balmy 22 degrees in a heated bay, it didn't do much for me in the way of displacing my SZ. While it could be the cold, the face felt harsh to me, similar to the feeling I got with the Flash face. I am not bashing the Mavrik, it is a nice driver and i could put it in the bag, but I am just not seeing it bumping my original SZ out of the bag.

I plan to look at it again when the weather warms a little.

Edit: I hit the regular Mavrik.

@CasualLie - from what I have read and heard the Maverick sound is more like the Rogue.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

The Mavrik's gonna be a very good driver this year!!! I've been a die hard TM woods fan for a long long time (R7, super quad, R11, SLDR, M1, M3, M5 currently). For whatever reason, even with my fitted shaft, the SIM lineup was terrible for me.

The regular Mavrik will be the sleeper of the line. At 9* I found it very accurate, controllable, penetrating, and spin surprisingly low. I routinely saw 13* launch with spin around 2200 - 2500. The 9* subzero I couldn't hit for the life of me.... Then the fitter gave me the 10.5* subzero and it was like a whole new club! My top 5 ball speeds were with the 10.5. Weird thing is the launch and spin both stayed constant with the 10.5* subzero as the 9*, but was much more controllable and forgiving

With the subzero I had a lower, more penetrating flight around 11* and spin avg 2300. For me this averaged just over 2mph faster ball speed than the Mavrik. Ordered a 10.5* SZ with Ventus Black! I figured I'll give this time to work out and see how it performs on course. If its too hard to control I can just use the playability from PGA Superstore and order the standard Mavrik

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Just had my first experience of the Mavrik sub zero after I saw it sitting their calling me at the range.

Wasn’t expecting much to be honest as I had a epic sub zero for a very limited time, just found it a little wild!

what a surprise! Testing it alongside my Ping G410 plus I found it no harder to hit and super consistent, just a nice tight draw after draw.

wasn't expecting to be considering buying a new driver this year but if after further testing I’m hitting the shots like I just did I would be happy to drop the $$$

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

My son said the same thing about the Sub Zero. His coach gave him one to use as long as he wanted (perks of being left handed) and he has been gaming it for three weeks now. Has only every used Taylormade drivers. Two hits with the Mavrik and he says "This is the best driver I have ever hit." He hated the Epic/Flash and is not a big Callaway fan. He played about 5 holes with it that Saturday afternoon and put it in the bag for a tournament on Sunday. Ball Speed was consistently higher than off the M5 and far less spin.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I hit the Mavrik SZ the other day vs my OG Epic SZ (both at 9* and same shaft.....GD Tour AD TP 6X). I knew the Mavrik would have to be special to unseat the best driver I have ever hit. While I did notice a couple MPH increase in ball speed with the Mavrik, I just couldn’t keep the spin down. My Epic SZ was giving me ideal spin numbers in the 2,000-2,200 range, while the Mavrik was around 2,600-3,000. I tried moving the heavy weight forward, but my dispersion was all over the map. FYI I have always played my Epic with the heavy weight back. I was getting carry numbers around 278 with the Epic, and around 272 with the Mavrik. Looks like I’ll wait until next year for the latest Cally release, and pray that my Epic doesn’t crack. Don’t get me wrong, the Mavrik is a good driver, just not as good as my trusty Epic. Relieved to be saving a few hundred bucks this spring. Although I’m sure I’ll find somewhere else to spend it!

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7

Loved the OG epic SZ - I did have some issues with dispersion from time to time and then sent me to the Rogue. I hit the Mavrik standard and the feel is soooo good on it. Will be getting one - think the real gains this year with Mavrik will be in the fairway woods. I was seeing some super strong numbers in those. Ordered a 13.5 Max with Rogue 130 MSI 70S and a 16.5 standard with the Riptide. can't wait to get those things out on the course. That 13.5 Max head could be special :)

How are custom orders coming in? I learned a lesson to email an order instead of calling it in. Asked for 1" short at D1, and they substituted a lighter grip, and used stock weights (head at 193 grams and actual SW of D0). I was hoping for a driver that I did not have to tinker with. Lead tape to the rescue...

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Tried to put the Cobra SZ, Mavrik and SIM, possibly TS2 and G400, against my current oldie driver but will take a couple of weeks for the lefties to get to the store :( Also tempted by fw woods but who knows when those will make their way here.

Has anybody checked the adapters for the Mavrik and SIM, are they new ones or the same as used in older models?

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

I’ve spent almost 3 hours on TM with both.

Standard is ridiculously consistent on spin range, for me about 1800-2600, with an average of about 2100.

Ball flight with standard to me had a very minor draw bias, but held the spin to a reasonable level.

SZ was very fade biased for me, even with the weight back. The Spin was super low, even with a fade, and will be an unreal driver for anyone with spin issues, or wanting to maintain spin consistency with hitting a fade.

I also found the SZ to be much more penal on mishits, and I’m typically a good driver of the ball.

See below for the last TM session with the standard head 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with the Riptide shaft, but as you can see I’m already a low spin player and still getting optimal spin in a shaft that’s supposed to be mid spin and mid launch.

PQ8W55440YB1.jpeg

• Like 1

They showed a commercial with Phil telling anyone and everyone how great the Mavrik woods are, then I watched the tournament and he still had all Epic Flash woods in his bag.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Did you happen to feel like the max fairway was overly draw biased? I’d like to go demo the 13.5 max fairway.

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Odds or Evens - Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

I did not - I am looking for this club to have a little draw as I typically hit my driver straight or with a slight cut, so I am hoping for a little draw bias but not much. If it moves a little too much I will pull the weight out of the heel or add a little lead tape towards the toe. Was surprised in hitting the 15 in the store that it was pretty straight, with nice high flight. I have decent swing speed - 95-99 on 3 wood - just stray around the face a bit with contact so I need some forgiveness. My 13.5 will be here next week and I am super stoked!

Thanks. Look forward to hearing about your 13.5. I could definitely use some lessons to fix my driver swing issues as I tend to stray around the face. I’ve gone to a shorter shaft there and at least at the range it seems to be helping. No real loss of distance on well struck shots. Of center strikes are noticeably shorter but less off line. I had a 16.5 3 wood that on a good day I got a long with but on a bad day was worse than my driver. Sold it and my hybrids to fund a rogue 4 hybrid purchase that seems to fit me much better.

Long story short, I’d like to try the 13.5 Mavrik max as a potential driver replacement/back up (my local course is short and doesn’t really require driver anyway) or the 15 as just a normal 3 wood.

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Odds or Evens - Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Interested in reading this as well as more comparisons with the g410.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Looked at these again today and for whatever reason, I really don’t like the shape of the SZ. Put a couple different ones down and both looked almost slightly closed while the standard head sits slightly open to my eye and the head shape is cleaner IMO. The SZ is supposed to be based off the Triple Diamond EF SZ but I just don’t see it, looks completely off to me. I even took my TD out this afternoon to play a couple holes as I thought maybe I was just mistaken but it set up just as well as I remember (also might be going back in the bag but that’s another story).