3 Hybrid vs 5 Wood

MattyMac

For many people I don't see these clubs as interchangeable as the 5 woods longer shaft probably makes it a noticeably longer club.

Assuming you are not trying to fill a specific yardage gap, the hybrids shorter shaft and smaller head makes it a more versatile club from rough of fairway bunkers

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

For many people I don't see these clubs as interchangeable as the 5 woods longer shaft probably makes it a noticeably longer club.

Assuming you are not trying to fill a specific yardage gap, the hybrids shorter shaft and smaller head makes it a more versatile club from rough of fairway bunkers

Well it is to fill a gap between my longest iron and 3 wood so I definitely need one of them. It just through me today when I went in there to order the hybrid and he suggested the 5 wood. Knowing me I’ll walk out with both and a good job done by him

• 4 months later...

for the average golfer a hybrid is easier too hit in general. The shorter shaft and compact head make it easier to hit from the rough and get under it. The 5W longer shaft and head make it harder for the average golfer to swing and get out of the rough becomes problematic, but a 5w can also be easier to shape the ball. Also depends % shots in the fairway.

I just bought Tm M1 21 hybrid yesterday so 20.25 and 19.5 lofts can be adjusted down and Opens the face. Yes shorter club was also benefit too me.I also need anti Left club no auto draw. So may add lead or sway weights for Fade Only flite. Next club in bag 16.5 4 wood for off fairway use.T.E.Exotics xcg6.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with comments. He carries a 21* hybrid or a 21* DI and a 19* 5 wood. They are entirely different beasts. The 5 wood goes about 20+ more easily. But it is a harder club to hit well than a hybrid. He uses it more off a tee or with a clean lie than the hybrid, which can go anywhere. He has these choices because he uses a 56/58* as a lob wedge.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Okay, my coach has got me carrying both due to the courses I play. I ended up dropping wedge out of bottom of my bag and shifting to a 54" and 58" wedge to accommodate them. Primary reason was the ball flight and softer landing. There are a number of long Par 4's on the course I play that require range of the 5 wood but have smaller greens so need a softer landing to hold and there are some long Par 5's which required a similar length to get into scoring iron range but getting extra run helps which puts the Hybrid in play.

So it is up to you but if the club is primarily going to be use to approach green then the 5 wood would be a better option normally as it usually has a higher ball flight and softer landing but if it it is a position club for fairway etc then Hybrid would normally be better. Compromise would be carry both and alter the wedge make up, easier to adjust wedge loft etc at shot time than the 5 wood and Hybrid

• 3 weeks later...

- 4iron 200yds carry low penetrating mainly lunch shots

- 4hybrid 205yds high bomb with soft landing from fairways and long shots from the rough.

- 5wood 220yds carry high or penetrating. My choice. This is my favourite club and is my go to safety shot from the tee.

- 3wood 235 yds carry. (I wish I had more separation between this and my 5w) Mostly lowish and penetrating. Good stingers.

- Driver 250ish carry.

PW < GW < LW

Dropping the sand wedge from the bottom of the bag allows me to round out the top of the bag. This allows me to become more consistent using only the gap wedge from 115 and in and the LW for and flop shots.

For what it’s worth

• Like 1

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

good question, been trying to answer this myself for ages..,

ive decided that i don't think theres a right or wrong answer here, the course predicts the best outcome for me so I have a cpl of each.

I find my 18* ute with NS 125s shaft is a lower launching , good roll club that definitely gets better all round results as a rule ....... especially on links and in wind than my 5 wood but I cant get on in 2 with it and it looses significant distance to the 5 wood, over all im pretty sure its more versatile...... oh esp. from the rough and from a tee , I have carried both a few times bec the 5 wood from a tee is a bit theatrical where as the ute is point shoot and I can shape the 5 wood much easier than the ute.

my 18* 5 wood is a beast. ( prgr egg / diamana stinger 70xx) it launches lower than usual and is very long for a 5w. I think its has prob 15-20 + yards on the ute on the same shot.

I need both a ute and the 4w or 5w lot now and prob drop a 4 iron of the 3 wood or the 60* wedge to play both ...

I prefer to play a 14* 3w .......17.5* 4w ....and a 21* ute, that combo has really opened up some versatility , il drop the 4i and or the 60* to get them all in.

owari !

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same shaft in both -- Fujikura Pro, but with (appropriately) different overall shaft weights. So that helps make comparisons more "apples with apples."

As said above, different beast.

The 5 wood (Tailor-made M2) is a much more powerful club and goes very high. It acts like a fairway wood. I hit it 15 years further and can use off the tee and hit it 220, including role.

The 19 degree hybrid (PXG, Gen 1) is a great club but not nearly as high, not as powerful, and more like an easier to hit iron.

I see many touring pros (and good players) carrying both...and they are pretty darned smart about club selection.

Good luck. Lawson

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

I would carry two of the following.

5 wood or 7 wood.

3 or 4 hybrid.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 3 months later...

It's really important to have one of these as a choice that you can rely on and it becomes your go to club.

For me, when I have a perfect lie in the center of the fairway and absolutely, positively must execute a raging hook out of bounds it is the 3 hybrid every time.

Love my 5 wood though.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I would say that, as a general rule, if you are a little lower on swing speed and can use the extra height and distance of a 5w, then that is the right club. If you are slightly faster and can get the hybrid up in the air well enough then that is the right club. And if you are very fast AND a very solid ballstriker, the driving iron becomes the correct club to have in the bag.

My father has a 5w in the bag, along with a 3w & 7w. He needs the additional distance and height that fairway woods can offer. I have a driving iron that is soon to be replaced by a hybrid. I have the swing speed, but not the ballstriking ability to best utilize the driving iron, so the hybrid is going in the bag. So, even though the decision to put the DI in the bag was based on good numbers (I hit 3x as many tee shots vs. approach shots with that spot in the bag and the DI "should" be better in that department), in reality, I was just missing on too many scoring opportunities on par 5s, while performing almost identically off the tee.

So basically, if you need the club off the turf, go with the fairway. If you need the club off the tee, go with the driving iron. If you need the club to do a hybrid of both jobs, well, go with the hybrid!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]