What is the one rule you wish could be changed

Comments

• antipantip Members  1169WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,169 Platinum Tees

Perhaps this thread needs to be renamed "LICC watching"?

Hopefully someone has some rules input that doesn't involve LICC or divots.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1329WRX Points: 306Handicap: 15Posts: 1,329 Platinum Tees

Well it's better than bickering, at least I put some subject matter down to discuss. Although, this particular rule change may have been talked about before?

Posted:
  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1329WRX Points: 306Handicap: 15Posts: 1,329 Platinum Tees

What is this infatuation with LICC? Get over him already. Talk about golf issues, not your secret lover!

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6912WRX Points: 1,236Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 6,912 Titanium Tees

Subject matter you "put down" twice before, last Summer and early Fall(?) and got shot down both times.

And now you want to bring it up again ?!?!?! LMAO

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32710WRX Points: 3,003Posts: 32,710 Titanium Tees

I would like to see some middle class, muni playing golfers on whatever board it is that makes ROG decisions. As I understand it, and I apologize if I am wrong, the members of this board are volunteers...who have to pay their own expenses. Not much chance for your average guy to be able to swing that.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• NewbyNewby Members  7770WRX Points: 634Posts: 7,770 Titanium Tees

They are mostly volunteers but there are some staff. They will normally get limited expenses but not for the hours they put in.

Posted:

Advertisement

Well it's better than spending two or three pages talking about a particular individual they can't get over. Let It Go or bring in some fresh comments. Don't be a dead horse.

ps, a couple more question marks and exclamation marks would have been a little more appropriate don't you think to get your point across? lol

Posted:
  • rogolfrogolf Members  4355WRX Points: 604Posts: 4,355 Titanium Tees

Don't be a dead horse.

Now that's funny! The correct phrase is "don't beat a dead horse".

https://knowyourphrase.com/beating-a-dead-horse

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21481WRX Points: 5,449Posts: 21,481 ClubWRX

Everybody knows dead horses can't type.

Posted:
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers  6841WRX Points: 610Posts: 6,841 Titanium Tees

@Mikey5e Well it's better than spending two or three pages talking about a particular individual they can't get over.

My curiosity has more to do with a method of moderation I've never seen around here before.

Posted:

Maybe we could spend two or three pages more on that particular phrase instead of talking about real golf issues? Usually when people don't have anything edifying to say they resort to nitpicking and ridiculing like you have.

Maybe you could lead the way rogolf and tell the rest of us what rule you would like to see added or changed?

Posted:

Advertisement

Maybe it's because you're such an easy target?😎

I'm fine with the Rules the way they are, and trust the ruling bodies to make changes as appropriate.

One I don't like though is Exception 2 to 11.1b.

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  440WRX Points: 242Handicap: 19Posts: 440 Greens

Is now the right time to make a Santa Anita joke? Asking for a friend

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48
    / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"
    Snell MTB-X

One I don't like though is Exception 2 to 11.1b.

Why?

Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members  4975WRX Points: 485Handicap: 3,8Posts: 4,975 Titanium Tees

I am with rogolf. That Exception allows a player to replay a bad shot if it happens to hit the player or his partner. That cannot be the idea of that Exception. I am convinced that will change in near future.

Say, you make a tap-in and miss the hole and the ball makes a 180 turn and hits your shoe. Now you are obliged to replay with no penalty. Ridiculous.

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement

Oops. I was reading 11.2b.

Belay my question.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21481WRX Points: 5,449Posts: 21,481 ClubWRX

I have noticed some folks' avatars that I see in other threads now have them behind bars, lol. One was a BST ban, the other it doesn't really say - kind of weird looking. I don't see that on LICC's profile, however.

All odd, but the "site" usually doesn't get into talking about that stuff other than in very general terms about stuff like that and I'm just as happy not to poke certain bears in the dead of winter. Now a dead horse . . .

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32710WRX Points: 3,003Posts: 32,710 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Uncommon situation, but...

My highest priority change would be to replace the 2 shot penalty for BOL relief outside a bunker if your ball is stuck on a slope against a rake in the back of a bunker and a dropped ball in the bunker cannot come to rest not nearer the hole (reference 14.2e/1) . IMO, should still be 1 shot penalty, same as 16.1c(2).

Posted:
  • sui generissui generis Members  4458WRX Points: 785Posts: 4,458 Titanium Tees

With that exception, I find that insects as animals could cause difficulties. I'd be a little happier if insects were excluded. Nobody could miss a ball colliding with a praying mantis, but a nematode?

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

Advertisement
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members  4975WRX Points: 485Handicap: 3,8Posts: 4,975 Titanium Tees

This was one of the changes I was astonished to see. The original reason to exclude insects was exactly the variety of size of insects and the need to avoid discussions whether the ball was deflected by an insect virtually nobody saw and which just flew away after impact. It was a true 180 degrees turn from the RBs and I do not understand the reasons.

Just see the Casey case. He did not notice the insect and that insect was not even very small!

Posted:

Yikes, now I'm worried, I don't know what a nematode is.

Posted:

Another shockingly inappropriate penalty is you putt when another ball is on the green but that other ball for whatever reason (someone else plays it, wind, etc) moves and comes to rest where your putt hits it. 2SP. Simple drafting fix to 11.1a Exception and it goes away.

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6912WRX Points: 1,236Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 6,912 Titanium Tees

"bring in some fresh comments"

Physician heal thyself. LMAO

Posted:
  • sui generissui generis Members  4458WRX Points: 785Posts: 4,458 Titanium Tees

I'd like R11.1a Exception to disappear altogether. (I said this about 50 pages back, just before the idiot got involved.) After all, the world didn't come to an end when the prohibition for hitting the flagstick went away.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

Advertisement
  • HackDaddy360HackDaddy360 VP of Dadding Members  129WRX Points: 83Posts: 129 Fairways

I’ve got a few:

• Making it legal to take a ball out of a divot in the fairway - you hit a good shot and maybe even a tough shot - you shouldn’t be penalized.
    • Grounding the club in the bunker pre-shot.
    • Be allowed to give a player a putt in stroke play with group consensus.

I could make a case you could improve pace of play by allowing lift/clean/place year-round. Gasp - I know - but seriously... have you seen someone go from shooting 80 to 65 because of lift/clean/place? I haven’t...

Posted:
    Posted:

The logic is about preventing the use of another ball (or balls) to your advantage, eg 'backstopping'. There are other ways to deliver this objective, but I'm thinking a tidied version of this is the most efficient. The new clarification attempting to do this for strokes from off the green is rather a damp squid.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.