Titleist T400 irons

TomBomb51

The Boomer generation is aging out and losing distance, that is the market for these. Just think of them as "Participation Trophy Irons" and move on. ?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I've said it for years, lofts are irrelevant. The golfing community reacted to lower lofts by over reacting and churning out "OMG THESE WILL NEVER STOP ON A GREEN THEY'RE UNPLAYABLE" reviews and comments.

In typical golf fashion it's almost a badge of honour that so many are just so dialled in and need X amount of spin because they're so good to be able to play the game.

Nonsense. If you can hit a ball and have any awareness of your carry distances, course conditions and weather then anyone can play any iron. You adjust. What do these people do at the moment when they have 160 yards to the pin? Hit a 7 iron? So the PW in this set might carry 155 yards and the 7 iron 200 yards. What club do they hit? I'm guessing the one that goes the distance. Just happens to be a different club. It's been shown in several reviews recently that these (S)GI clubs have more or less identical peak heights to so called "normal lofted" irons and the spin numbers are VERY good considering. So it's a myth that these won't hold greens or are unplayable or that they're ruining golf. The bag would need re-gapped and the overall make up will change but that's golf. That's what happens when you buy new clubs. You adjust your game, your bag, your strategy.

The best player will always win. Lofts don't dictate the winner. Talent and ability (sometimes conditions) dictates the winner. If we're insecure about hitting a 7 iron compared to someone hitting a T400 PW then we've maybe got issues in our own game that need addressed.

The clubs themselves are hideous so that in itself will preclude a large percentage of golfers from buying them. The price and feel will stop others from buying them potentially. Lofts? Distraction.

• Like 3

Great post!!

Well I don't think they are hidious. But I can certainly see where some find them visually unappealing and if that is the chief complaint, I can not blame someone for what they like to look at or not. We will all have different taste.

But yeah all the other nonsense about them being unplayable is just a bunch of noise.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Wow. I never imagined a PW would break through the 40* barrier. Plenty of joking about the potential for 8 wedges in the bag but seriously this will end up full circle in the future. 20* will become the 3 wedge, 35* - 7 wedge, all the way through to a 50* PW!

That said, they probably won't be able to make them fast enough to keep up with demand.

There are a lot more golfers that fit the profile of these than there are that fit the T100 profile.

• Like 1

Vokey

Carolina Golfer, would these work for you? Based on your sig, looks like they may be in the cards but wouldnt it cause you to replace more clubs than just the irons?

I guess I can see these working for someone who might be hitting a 5 iron from say, 140 yards out when with these, he could be hitting a 7 iron with more control since the length of the club will be standard 7 iron length but the loft of a regular 5 iron.

• Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

GolfWRX hall of fame post right here. Lofts are irrelevant. Get fit. Probably need to get fit for a ball as well. Find out which club goes which distance. Properly gap your bag based on these distances. Hit said club when opportunity presents itself.

I was fitted for new P790 in the fall. Paired with the right shaft, the ball goes as far as the loft on the club says it will go. No fliers, no issue holding greens. Probably 30 rounds in so far and zero issues. Can take some off and hit a knockdown if needed. Can step on it and add 5 yards if needed.

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

buying a wedge is cheaper than buying a hybrid or wood. You know as a fitter it’s about gapping. So whatever 14 clubs is there doesn’t matter. Most would probably prefer having more wedges than more long clubs since they are easier to hit.

So many get hung up on the number of wedges in the bag, but rarely does any complain about too many headcovers

at this point, id rather just see the loft on the club ala every other club in the bag besides an iron. its used to be hyperbole, but someone is going to realease a 25 degree 7 iron to beat the t400. and then a 23. and then why not a 20. just as we have gone from 35 to 26. just give me the loft. caddy, hand me my 34 whatever that is called these days. "thats your 2 wedge boss."

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Fair points being made. Maybe I'm being a bit too old school with these. I haven't seen these on trackman yet to really pass fair judgement on them just yet. spin, apex and decent would definitely be something that I would be going over with my students but unfortunately I'm currently at location where our fittings take place indoors. It's a little harder to show the ball reacting once it lands when you're solely looking at flight on a monitor.

These will probably sell really well for Titleist especially to the Sr golfer that has started to lose distance and wants to continue to use a club they associate with a particular distance.

• Like 1

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Bash me if you will but I currently play the T300 and could see myself adding the T400 55* Wedge.

I play the T300 all the way down to the 53* and a 56* Vokey. I'd happily replace the vokey with something super forgiving like the T400.

Anyone have photos of the wedges? I assume they aren't as chunky as the 7 iron looks in the photos?

TSR3 Driver/Fairway/Hybrid

2023 T200 (4i - 48*) 

SM10 52F* & 56S*
Newport Select 1.5

-ProV1X

I would have no problem playing these if I hadn't just bought the T300 a month ago, and I may still order them and see how they are. For point of reference, I'm 60 and have lost a lot of distance over the last 5 years, due to injuries, and just plain age...ha My 150 to 155 club right now is my 6 hybrid. My 7 iron is 140 to 140.

My current "iron" make up is 6 hybrid, 7,8,9, P(43*) P2 (48*) 54, 58 to go with a top end of Driver, 3w, 7w, 9w, 5 hybrid. and putter

If I were to get these I'd probably have a make up of

Driver, 3 wood, 7 wood, 9 wood...then 5 hybrid, 7,8,9, P (38) W1 (43*) 50,-54,58 and putter

So yes, looking at that, some will scream about the 6 wedges. But as I and others have said, it's just a number on the club, I won't get any more thrill out of saying my P wedge goes 125 versus previously saying my 9 iron goes 125. It just matters to me that I know what club to choose for 125 or 160.

Vokey

A couple years ago I had a 718 AP1/AP2 combo set. I had two 7 irons, I believe the AP1 7 was 30 and the AP2 7 iron was 34. So the gaping made since, it just looked a bit odd to some. I called them my strong and weak 7's :)

Vokey

Great post, exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

My father is 60 as well with a really bad back but loves the game. He can still beat me on occasion due to ball striking and a short game as good as Luke Donald. He too has driver, 3w, 5w, 4h, 5h 6h, then 7-PW, GW SW and LW. 6h being his 150 yard club as well. The issue I see with him is that his ball striking is still well above average, just piss pounds the center of the club face and really prefers the look of MBs or small cavity irons. He would look at these and think "what is this shovel that I am looking at".

• Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

You might consider looking at the PXG 0211 S (55*) wedge if you aren't dead set on Titleist throughout the bag. Tons of forgiveness from the COR2 and thin face in them and it'd gap in well for you at 55* or bent weaker. $125 for the PXG ($150 w/ upgrade shaft) vs $219 for T400.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

Sounds like your father is the better player version of me...ha But I totally get him not liking the look of them. We all have our preferences, me I can be more turned off by sound than looks. Which is weird because I think the G700 which I still have in my profile don't sound bad, others hate the sound.

What helped my game more than anything in the past year was I went to PING for a full bag fitting. The 7W and 9W have been game changers for me, now I'm as confident from 160 to 180 as I am from 130. That 7w is just an automatic club for me. I am going to change out the 3W for a 5w, as I don't hit it as consistently as I need to get the full benefit from it. I may play with the loft of the 5 and go down a notch to make it a 17 or so. But if I can get 190 or so out of it, that's all I'll need.

I gave up playing anything longer than a 5 iron 2 years ago, and even now I don't have a 5 iron, the 9FW pretty much covers that old distance.

Vokey