2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Isaacbm Going to Titleist TPI in Oceanside

isaacbm

Me too, I keep thinking about going back to a 7 wood, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

This is one of the best threads I’ve read in a long time! Amazing tips and advice being shared here.

• Like 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

A little late to this thread but great write up Isaac! Now I need to have a talk with my wife about my next birthday ?. Really appreciate you noted in the OP the thought/logic behind the club choices.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Thanks for posting Scratch! I know you've been there more than once. I agree that the wedge fitting was the most informative. Interesting that you have a 7 iron length shaft in your 3 wood. I strongly feel that almost everyone is harmed from all of the over length clubs and the concept that irons are made for "speed."

As far as letting you win, how would it be fun for you to say you beat an ex-tour pro if I made it easy?! LOL! The back story for the rest of you guys is that we played a round last year and Scratch had his personal best. I birdied the last hole to tie him. Played with my son that day too. I think we were 68,68,76. Great day all around!

I still remember that round when you said that your goal is always to have no penalties, no 3 putts, and no doubles. Pretty hard to shoot a bad round if you can do that!

Thanks! I just see so many posts on here about fitting that are just about all the shafts that someone tried. And honestly, hearing whether a 10 handicap liked a" tensei white x tipped and inch over a _________ (fill in the blank) " has never interested me that much. Not to sound like a jerk or anything...

• Like 4

You nailed it on the pics. I took a few as he toured me around the facility. But I wish I had taken a few more during the fitting process. Like some of the screen shots from the trackman. Or more importantly of the incredible wedge area. I'll plan to correct that when I'm back there in April.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

So I bought all new clubs.... Again!!

Golf season ended here october 20th and since then, I've had 3 drivers, 2 3-woods, 4 sets of irons, and a new putter.

I went to Phoenix early november with Titleist 716 MB. Traded for Miura 1008 CB the second day there. Then I bought a set of Taylor made P790 because they were near new and $500. I thought I'd just resell for a few hundred profit. Which I did. Then I got home and ordered a set of MP 20 MB/HMB combo. Also bought a new in plastic Honma driver for $85 and a Scotty Putter for a straight trade for an Evenroll. This was all before Christmas when I got the fitting as a present. I went to Palm Springs and San Diego with the Miura and had the fitting. When I got home, the Mizuno arrived. They're sitting in the box still in plastic. I'm going to resell (never having hit them) to recoup the cost of all the stuff I bought yesterday. The good news is I got the Mizuno for 35% off retail so should be an easy sell. And the other good news is I got amazing prices on all of the stuff I bought yesterday and it is all in line with the fitting. So this is what I ended up doing:

Found a set of 718 CB on line from 3-pw with AMT Black S300 for $445 US. The guy that's selling them will pull the grips, trim to length, and bend 2degrees flat. Then regrip and send to me. I know I don't need the 3,4,PW but they were part of the set and price is perfect. The irons are close enough to the 620 cb and $1200 cheaper!

Next I went looking for woods. There's no way I'm buying new with a $400 uncharge for Atmos Black. I went to Golf Traders in Calgary and sorted through all of their 917 woods and after a few shaft swapping and some fancy haggling, I got a 25 degree hybrid with Atmos Black, and 21 and 16.5 degree fairway woods. I put Diamana White D+ s flex in those 2. Very similar bend profile to fitted Atmos Black and I have a long history of loving Diamana. Traded my Mizuno 190 ST 3wood and a few other odds and ends. All 3 clubs had the plastic on the head still and I got out of that deal owing $0!!

Next I got 4 new wedges with the correct grinds. I got the SM7's with the plastic on for $100 per club and after parting with a few old wedges, I was $200 out of pocket.

So basically, I got 15 clubs with everything I needed for a cost of $1250 Canadian but with the trades, I'm out of pocket for about $700. And I still have the Miura and the Mizuno to sell which should give me another $2500 or so.

Club whoorrreee Extrodinaire!! I keep very accurate records of all of my club spending each year. Last year all of my trading cost me $1800 Canadian. The year before, I was up $700. I have so many contacts in the golf business that I often get stuff for so little that I can use it for a bit and still resell it for a small profit.

Having said all of that, my intention is to stick to this new stuff going forward. Knowing what I know now, Trading will be harder since I have an awkward number of irons .5 inch short and 2 degrees flat.

Could this be the beginning of the end of my insanity??

• Like 3

I've been following this with great interest, but I've got to say the last post was a doozy!! You might need a secretary to keep track of all that and maybe a shrink. Best thread going!!!!

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

That sound like a really solid set Isaac!

I used to buy and sell with the best of them. Frankly, it got to be a bit stressful...the constant buying and selling, never knowing if I had the "right" equipment, etc., (not to mention having a garage full of golf clubs boxes). Nowadays to make a change, the new club(s) would have to have a real WOW! factor. The only thing on the horizon are some new wedges as my current ones have seen over 500 rounds and numerous practice sessions.

Best of luck with your new clubs!

Just caught up with this, excellent post! I loved the bit about not touching your driver as well, and the wedge fitting stuff was even better.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Awesome write up, I was looking at all the Carlsbad companies to see who's done their fittings (kingdom, tpi, callaway).

Man this was perfect and exactly what I would want if I did a professional fitting.

Sold me! now how do I convince the wife to buy this for me LOL

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I’ve liked a lot of models of Mizuno drivers. I didn’t really like the blue colour for a couple of years there but other than that I think they make great stuff. The one club in my bag that is easiest for me to fit is probably driver. I can probably hit just about any driver at any time so it’s very unlikely the Mizuno will stick around for very long. Not because I think I’ll find anything better. Just because I like switching.I am committed to keeping the irons and wedges though!

• Like 1

After experiencing the whole thing, I would recommend to somebody that they do a whole bag fitting. I know it’s expensive but it’s really the best way to have a great experience. And like I said, they gave me two dozen golf balls and two hats which is probably $150 in value. So for $600 for the whole fitting really it’s only costing you $450...

I just looked at it as a $450 experience.

• Like 1

Quick re-attack on this thread to thank @isaacbm and provide some anecdotal data. The past few years I’ve struggled to get good gapping and proper elevation north of 6i. I hit the ball reasonably well but have moderate swing speed (7i ~84-85 mph). As my personal specs are within an inch of those listed in post #48 on page 2, I decided to mess around with shorter shafted hybrids and fairways.
Local shop has a couple of Trackmans, excellent fitting carts, and a bunch of 818 hybrids on discount so I swung by for a bit today.
Short story: Very encouraging. Walked out with a 27 deg 818 H1 to go with the 23 deg I already owned. Put the shaft for the 25 deg H1 in the 23 deg to play it at 39” as a 3-1/2 iron. Will play the 27 at 38.25” as 5 iron. Jury still out on 7w but when I hit it well it apexed same height as 23 H1 with a 15 yd gap. Had to choke up on a 5w shaft to get the proper weight and flex so it wasn’t as good a test. But, I couldn’t sniff the proper trajectory with a 21 deg hybrid.
Would not have tried this set-up prior to reading this thread.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Glad it gave you a few ideas. I’ve been stuck in an equipment rut for a while. Just getting together with the fitter who was a good player in his own right and obviously knew a lot about fitting, gave me the confidence to try something a little different. I too would have never considered a 21° fairway wood. And like you, the same lofted hybrid just didn’t get high enough.

good to know that after 33 years of being a scratch golfer I can still learn some new things!!

• Like 1