What is the windiest round of golf you've ever had?

mustang6298

Boone Golf Club, Boone NC back in 2002 or so. It was blowing 30 and gusting up to 40. I just tried to swing smooth and hit the ball as pure as I could. Lots of knockdowns and low ones were the rule of the day. On the longest hole on the course (a slightly downhill par 5) the wind was blowing straight down. I never in my life wanted to pure a drive so bad and I did. Hit that sucker like 400 yards lol. Still made a damn par though.

Bandon Trails. That teeshot down the cliff? I hit the ball 300+ and hit it as hard as I could and didn't reach the fairway. Few windgusts blew my buddy on his butt when he was lining up a putt. Had to wait a few times for it to calm so we could actually putt here and there. Overall it was around 30-40 mph. Most miserable round at Bandon I have ever had but you know what?.. the most miserable round at Bandon is still far more fun than a round in good weather at our local tracks.

Most maybe 35-45 gusts constant 30 though...Worst playing RD???? My PAT in Stuart FL...Long ago, I think it was Hammock creek...35 constant 55° & steady drizzle...36 holes Back in the day of the Money Grab by PGA to get into Program...156 tee'd off 1 qualifier. Needed to have 2 rd's 78 or better.

Mine would be in a course in Scotland - for now cant remember which one - anyway it was a very windy that day and my caddie says to me ... "Al, we coming up on the shortest Par 5 in Scotland, it is only 155 yards to the hole" I say - "Wow - and it is a Par 5?" He said "Yep it feels like that - the card says Par 3 but no one scores that , most are 5 or 6 ,,SO I want you to hit your driver as hard as you can ( I had been hitting about 240 or so yards with him on previous holes) and I want you to hit it 45 degrees away from the hole on the left directly into the wind. " I did exactly what he said - I came up 10 yards short but in front of the green.. I did not have a device to measure wind that day -- but I did hit my driver low and into the wind and it only went about 140 yards.

My buddies company tournament, mind you raining with occasional down pours. Gusts of wind throughout the day. Yes it was best ball and you had a group shoot 1 under when the next best score was 10 over par. Makes you think.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Pacific Dunes December 2015. The starter cautioned us not to go near the cliffs to play balls as the winds were gusting up to 70 and you could get blown over. I thought he was exaggerating. Nope. Steady 40 to 50 the whole round, it was difficult to walk, let alone hit a ball. The next day some very heavy wood benches around the clubhouse were blown over.

I've played in bad wind a couple times over the years. I remember one when as we were hitting drivers on the range directly into the wind the balls were hitting the ground traveling back at us. That was the only time I've ever seen that. Tips? Play the ball low. Club up and swing soft. I'm an engineer and geek so I do a little vector analysis of approach shots in my head, taking time in air times the cross component to figure out how to aim. I actually enjoy playing in the wind.

The Ocean course at Kiawah in April. The caddies in our group asked us how long of a course we wanted to play (we decided on 6500 yards) and they moved us up/back a tee box to make it play "like" that distance b/c the wind was absolutely howling. Pitch shots hit into the wind stood straight up, it was incredible, tiring and a ton of fun.

Several years ago our group teed off when it was only 35* temperature and 20-30 mph winds. Just decided we were going to play on this cold winter day no matter what. After a few holes it started snowing pretty heavily with a squall which made it even more 'fun'. We finished the round but it involved hitting shots 30-40 yards wide of the target at times and doing anything to stay warm. Needless to say we were one of only a a couple of groups on the course that day. We actually had a great time too.

Worst I ever played in was at a team competition at Nairn about 5-6 years ago. They had us go out and play because it was match play so the conditions were “the same for everyone”. My match was the first match in the afternoon session and on 5 of the first 6 greens, the pins had been blown out of the cups, it was crazy. I am not sure that I will ever forget standing on the 6th tee which is 175 yard par 3 with a tiny green which is hard enough to hit with the 6 or 7 iron that I usually hit at it. I had 3 wood that day, absolutely ripped it and come up short in a bunker. Will also not forget that I was 6 down through 9 holes. Eventually shook hands on the 18th tee for a half after the guy I was playing hit two out of bounds from the tee.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Prince's Golf Course in Kent, England.. Real links. Needed a driver for a par 3 160 yards. still didn't make it. and you can't hit it on the ground for that hole. All carry.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• 2 weeks later...

Played a 36 junior event at birkdale in 92, I hit driver 3 wood 3 wood 4 iron into the first..... Shot 92 off 3 in the morning and had only a few balls left. The flags were bent over and it was just brutal, just killed us. Then it dropped down it the afternoon but that's links golf for you. Also my dad was meant be caddying that day, he took one look at the weather and left me on the car park.... He did the right thing ha ha

Played an alternate shot tournament with a buddy a few years ago at Clovelly, Cape Town (South Africa). Was meant to be 36 but they called it off after 18

Was easily over 50mph with gusts probably 70.

Hit a 6i down wind 295 yards, and then hit driver off the deck, low bullet draw, into the wind and it barely got to 190yards. Was just insane. Gusts were so strong I saw two people swing at nothing but air because the wind blew their club off the swing path. Something to behold, something you dont ever want to do again.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 - Ventus TR Blue 6x
3 Wood - Stealth 2+ - Ventus TR Red 7x
5 wood - Paradym TD - Kai'li 80x
hyrid - 22* Ping G425 - Ventus Blue 10x
4i - PW - PX 0317 ST - KBS 130x
50-54-58 - Edel SMS Pro Wedges - S400 TI
LAB Mezz Armlock - LAGP

Moody Gardens golf course, Galveston TX. Fairway woods hit into the wind were rolling back toward us when they came down and a ball that had stopped rolling in the middle of the green got blown off the green.

I played most of the round hitting 120 yd hybrid runners down each fairway.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Played Wild Dunes (Charleston SC area, pretty exposed on the end of an island right on the water) during Masters week a few years ago and it was absolute chaos as some storms passed through the area. I hit a PW downwind from 195 (went long) and full 8 iron from 105 (flushed it, didn't get there). From a pure comedic standpoint, it was awesome!

I can’t remember what the wind was actually blowing, but it would blow you off balance at address and putts were wobbling all over the place. The hole in the pic is a 290ish yard uphill risk/reward par 4. I hit 3 wood over the green and down the hill toward the parking lot. My 3w at the time was around 230 if I flushed it. We couldn’t keep a hat on our heads. Thankfully it was a scramble, lol

for those who know Houston area courses, this was Wildcat Lakes course #9. No real trees on the course (Some small bushy areas that do nothing to block wind) and it was built on top of an old landfill so it’s probably one of the most elevated places in the city.

SAA1BS8D97IG.jpeg

I live just outside of Houston (on the coast in Baytown). Hurricane Ike was a beast! We lost power for a couple of weeks and I couldn’t begin to guess at the amount of damage it did here dollar wise. I know the little muni course I play a couple of towns over lost somewhere around 400 trees.

we were in the process of buying a house and were scheduled to close the day it blew in. All banks were closed so we pushed it. We stayed with my mom and rode it out, and I’m not sure I’ll ever do that again. I thought the roof was going to come off the house a few times. When all was said and done, they wouldn’t even let us into the city we lived in (Seabrook, a few miles south of where we stayed) because there were sailboats in the streets and debris everywhere. We closed on the house the next week and had to do it at the attorney’s house because his office was destroyed.

gotta love gulf coast livin