Buying PXG Gen 3 Blind - 0311P or 0311T please help!

johnroyal519

So I've lusted after PXG for years .... I'm finally financially OK to purchase

Ive hit the P and T in previous generations. I prefer the T. I've played Ap2 and Multiple Mizuno MP irons in the past.

When I get fitted for Irons I know my spin is too low. I was fit for new irons and was switched to DG120 instead of the S300 ive played forever. I always get fit into a more players irons as they just naturally spine more (AP2, I210, MMC, ....)

I've hit the Gen2 PXG and they feel was unreal. Like hitting a marshmello. I'm torn between Gen3 P or T. I live in the middle of nowhere so trying them is off the table but I've been fit many times and know what I need.

I'm considering the P because I never practice and like the idea of a bit more forgiveness.

Can anybody compare the spin rates between the P and T?

Do the P launch much higher than the T?

How "big" are the T and P compared to AP2, T100, .....

Are the new Sugar Daddy Wedges even worth considering ??

Thanks!

JR

You're about to drop $3K+ and tax on a set of irons... what's another $500ish to drive/fly to a PXG fitting location (or even a mobile PXG fitting location) for a weekend and remove all doubt? Chalk it up to the PXG experience.

A number of video reviews compare spin, height, etc. of the P vs. the T - Golfwrx Disruptors, Michael Newton, etc. Check them out.

Will let others who have seen/hit the irons comment further.

• Like 1

The T is still larger than the irons you have played previously, but it is not a "fat" iron, if that makes sense. It hides its size well. Spin is easy to fix by bending loft so don't worry too much about that. I would say the closest in terms of shape and size to the MP or AP2 is the ST Blade, as it is still larger than most blades you would find on the market. You could always do a blended set of the P in the longer irons, T in the short, and the ST in the 9 and W to give you the best flight scenario you can find. If you're willing to spend the cash on the irons I agree with the person above, don't do a blind assessment. Reach out to PXG on Instagram as they seem pretty on top of things and see if a mobile fitter or a semi-local fitter has a demo iron you could hit for a few.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Ps will look huge compared to AP2 or MPs. I'd go T.

Money usually isn't a consideration for me (I don't have tons but enjoy spending it...), but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on the wedges since I abuse them and replace them too often.

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

I played Gen 1 0311 T for a couple of years and when I decided to get Gen 2's last year I went with P's. I did demo both though. For me with the same shafts they spun and lunched the same taking into account the 1 degree of loft difference. The biggest difference is forgiveness. I decided to swallow my pride and get the P's. My index for the past few years has ranged from 6-9 but ball striking is not my strong suit. I though the P's would help me a little but to be honest my scores haven't changed. I am sure my index would be exactly the same if I chose the T's instead. I had 2 buddy's switch from 716 AP2 to 0311T last year. They both choose the T's over the P's after demoing them. I have hit their AP2 many times over the years, I feel the T's are more forgiving then the AP2's and both of my buddies agree as well.

Titleist TSr2 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50 Stiff, Taylormade 300 13.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 Stiff, Taylormade Stealth Plus 5W Project X Evenflow Red 6.0, Callaway Apex DCB 4-GW Steelfiber i110cw Stiff, Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 54* & 60*, Cobra King Grandsport 35", Maxfli Tour

T, but you should go get fit for shaft for this head and make sure you have the optimal shaft for your swing in this head. I'm a believer that a shaft that works for you can work in other irons, but I always try to go w/ an open mind to fittings on what shaft will go best w/ what head and have been surprised before.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

• 7 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, johnroyal519 said:

So I've lusted after PXG for years .... I'm finally financially OK to purchase

Ive hit the P and T in previous generations. I prefer the T. I've played Ap2 and Multiple Mizuno MP irons in the past.

When I get fitted for Irons I know my spin is too low. I was fit for new irons and was switched to DG120 instead of the S300 ive played forever. I always get fit into a more players irons as they just naturally spine more (AP2, I210, MMC, ....)

I've hit the Gen2 PXG and they feel was unreal. Like hitting a marshmello. I'm torn between Gen3 P or T. I live in the middle of nowhere so trying them is off the table but I've been fit many times and know what I need.

I'm considering the P because I never practice and like the idea of a bit more forgiveness.

Can anybody compare the spin rates between the P and T?

Do the P launch much higher than the T?

How "big" are the T and P compared to AP2, T100, .....

Are the new Sugar Daddy Wedges even worth considering ??

Thanks!

JR

so what did you end up doing and what was the outcome?  (i would have voted T the way)

Edited by clinkinfo

Ive previously gamed 714AP2s and p750s. I hit the them equally well so went with the P for added forgiveness. Blade size and sole width, though bigger than both the T and previous irons, doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Spin/launch was a little lower with the P due to the loft difference, but nothing crazy. The gen 3P for me actually launched as high as the Gen 2T if that matters

I bought two sets of PXG gen 3 clubs this year for my son and daughter. Not sure what the OP ever did,  but what PXG routinely recommends is a mix of P and T clubs in the bag. My daughter's set is a 6 iron P and the rest are T's.  My son went with P for 5 -7 and his 8-G are T's.

As for either the Sugar Daddy wedges are worth considering...in a word, yes!  Those wedges are the best clubs PXG makes, in my humble opinion. They are amazing wedges.

Edited by vagabundo94

pxg gen 3 are fairly low spin already...... fyi. 

I didn't get any spin, height, distance differences between the P 7i and the T 7i when i got fitted.  So i went with extra forgiveness P's in the longer irons, and the smaller size T's in the scoring clubs because it was more pleasing to my eyes.  I also don't practice much with 2 little kiddos at home and now the online "distance" learning for my son has really put a damper on my schedule.  

I couldn't decide on which set either, so I went with combo set. P's 4i-6i and T's 7i-pw.  

Some questionable info in this thread.

I play the Gen 3 T, bought them without hitting them and couldn't be happier.  Some notes:

-  The T is good if you're looking for a players iron (duh).  They are not a distance iron.  They have standard lofts, and are more forgiving than most 1 piece forged, but are not a GI iron

- They don't have a ton of offset (which the P may have - I don't know for certain as the P was never an option for me)

- Careful if you're a low spin player - these things DO NOT SPIN much, nor do they fly insanely high to maximize land angle.  Get the shafts you like, but be aware that you may need to change balls (Bridgestone / Mizuno / Pro V1X maaaaybe) to get enough spin.  I consider myself a mid spin player, and play the TM TP5x currently with no issue

- The footprint is small.  They're not much larger than my baby blades.  They're not intimidating to look at (for me anyway), but they are not a long blade length iron, nor are they chunky

- I've never hit the Gen 2, but from all accounts, they're far more clicky.  Take that for what it's worth.  The Gen 3 feels great to me (as someone who's never played anything but 1 piece forged players irons)

- Make sure you know your shaft and specs - PXGs are great to play, but are TERRIBLE to tinker with.  They do some awful, funky stuff with shaft lengths and tip weights (collard ferrules, tip cups, etc).  I do NOT recommend buying a set that you're unsure of if your plan is to replace shafts, and you're not comfortable getting in deep, building with shims, and do not intend to resell the shaft pulls

I personally believe that you'll be happier getting the T.  If you get the P, you'll always wonder what the Ts would be like.  If you get the Ts, you'll never say "these are too hard to hit" you'll say "I need to hit these more and improve my striking" (though they're not tough to hit).

Personally, I love my set, but would also say that the T100s are 95% as good for a potentially lower price (not nearly as gratifying to own however if you just love PXG equipment).

Good luck

• Like 4

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• 4 months later...

I got fit a few weeks back. I'm currently playing Ping i200s with traditional lofts bent 2 degrees weak. I'm a low ball hitter, and struggle to get spin on my irons. Prior to the Pings I played various Mizuno MP series irons (2 deg weak), the last being MP-5s with Nippon 950GH shafts. 

I went into the fitting leaning towards the P series. However, they basically got the same spin as my i200s (with the 7 iron). The fitter had me try the T series, and I picked up ~300 rpm. Both series felt great, and looked good at address. Playing i200's, I could easily live with either, but every bit of extra spin helps. The fitter said that they no longer carry the XP95 shafts, so Nippon 950GHs were the closest fit. 'No surprise.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Does anyone have any experience with the 0311 Forged wedge?  

Been thinking about trying to see if it can unseat the ugly-duckling of my bag, a beat-up old Cally forged GW that I've "replaced" multiple times only to have it win its way back in the bag time and again. 

There are practically no reviews and few posts about the non-Sugar Daddy option, though. (Zero chance I drop 650 on a single wedge).  

I used to play Scratch 8620s and didnt love them, so the 8620 leaves me skeptical, though size and shape play a roll (I honestly dont know anything about steel differences)

On 1/29/2021 at 10:45 PM, JTD0314 said:

I am pondering these irons as well as the 21 Apex Pros

Two intriguing lineups for sure. I’d like to see how the 0311T matches up to the Apex Pro and/or the X Forged CB. PXG’s lineup and pricing is a serious move and I’m impressed by the new Callaways. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I've used some players cavity backs in the past like the Callaway X-forged, Titleist CB and the Taylormade p770 (before speed foam), and have demoed the p7mc. The PXG 0311T makes some of these clubs look much smaller in comparison. Like the Titleist CB is just scary small in comparison and the p7mc isn't much better. Directly comparing the p770 to the 0311T, the blade lengths are pretty similar and the PXG seems to have a taller blade length. It's comfortable to look at and doesn't look chunky by any means. However, I do have the 0311P in the 4 and 5 irons and they are borderline too big for my liking. I'm a 5 handicap and a decent ballstriker fwiw. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Gen3 combo set where 7iron and up are Ps and everything lower are Ts. I’m a high spin iron player so pairing these lower spinning irons along with C Taper Lites for added launch/height were the perfect match for me. Blade height is definitely taller than expected in the Ts and blade length is longer than expected in the Ps than what I’m used to playing. 

5 hours ago, Fighton26 said:

I've used some players cavity backs in the past like the Callaway X-forged, Titleist CB and the Taylormade p770 (before speed foam), and have demoed the p7mc. The PXG 0311T makes some of these clubs look much smaller in comparison. Like the Titleist CB is just scary small in comparison and the p7mc isn't much better. Directly comparing the p770 to the 0311T, the blade lengths are pretty similar and the PXG seems to have a taller blade length. It's comfortable to look at and doesn't look chunky by any means. However, I do have the 0311P in the 4 and 5 irons and they are borderline too big for my liking. I'm a 5 handicap and a decent ballstriker fwiw. 

Good info here. Always hard to compare profiles without seeing them in person. I wish OEMs would put a ball in front of the club for their photos. I had a feeling the P would look much bigger in hand. Thanks! 👍🏽

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I play a full set of 0311P Gen3 with a back up of 2019 Apex-Apex Pro combo set. I find the PXGs to be more forgiving yet still workable and I don’t really notice any clunkiness in the longer irons. That being said, I did grow up playing Ping irons. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth Plus Driver | 10.5° set to 9.75° & 1.5° open Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 16.5° | Ventus Red

Callaway Epic Max | 20° | Graphite Design Tour AD DJ
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS Blue 105

Callaway Rogue ST Pro | 5I-AW | Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway Jaws Full Toe Raw Black | 54° & 58° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Bettinardi BB8 Tri Carbon Candy  | Stability Graphite or TaylorMade Spider X Chalk  | Stability Tour

• 5 months later...

DO NOT BUY NEW IRONS BLIND!  Complete waste of money.

You should go with the P over the T.  The T looks better at address but the P will perform better.  

Even if you are scratch or plus, the Ps will make up more strokes than the Ts, but the difference does become less.

Edited by NorCal678