2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Swing Backslide due to Shelter in Place (updated video post 14)

naj959

Good evening gentlemen. I just want to get a little feedback on my swing and if there are any blaring faults that I need to work on. I've done about 5 online lessons with Iteach and was fortunate enough to win an online lesson from Monte. Have also taken a lesson from Josh Koch about two years ago. The overwhelming theme of each lesson was my lack of hip depth and extension of the spine in my backswing. That obviously lead to compensations that sometimes I can time and play quite well but other times I question why I play this darn game. My miss is a pull with the shorter clubs and a pull hook with the longer ones. I'm really trying to get that depth in the backswing so I can get the hands deeper and have them come down on a better plane and not so much out. I've had some luck straightening out my ball flight by hitting freezers. Thoughts? Would love to hear from @glk
https://youtu.be/Zw7d6briy7I
https://youtu.be/3zY7FO2Y54Q

The left miss is from handle pulling/coming out to in with path very little lower body rotation on down swing. Imo, you have an excellent backswing and structure and depth, although it looks like you are falling towards the front foot. I would work leading with lower body first, and as a result it should limit that handle pulling move that is causing the out to in.

Hey, took a look. bit off topic but something to note - wearing dark clothes makes it difficult to see body motion.

Coincidence, I just had a lesson with Monte a few weeks ago when I was out visiting one of my sons in San Diego - I hadn't played much this year and knew things were a bit off.

Turns out it was my lack of spine extension - something I had worked on in the past but it's golf and if you don't keep at it then backslides are pretty common - so a few swings feeling like I was doing stack and tilt and blocks gone, etc - just have to focus on it.

So that said, biggest thing I noted was that your head drops a bit in the backswing which is not a issue but when you go to do your spine extension to complete the backswing you are actually lifting your upper body - your head goes back up and your arms swing a bit long. Should be able to extend your spine without lifting your upper body. Believe this is making your transition/pressure shift difficult.

Here's your top

BYWPK9E8H7OB.png

Here's a ballpark stopping point for you. If you play the video and put a straight edge on your head you'll see what I mean by the head dip and upper body lift.

1XH8HSYGJ0GE.png

You have plenty of depth - me personally I like to have my hands at arm parallel backswing just at or slightly inside my right shoulder - but it's personal, for me have a bit less depth allows me to get the arms back in front sooner - and especially helps with those partial shots where the arms at most reach parallel or less in the backswing - I have a habit of sucking my arms to much inside (for which among other things, iteach had me doing the alignment stick drill in the grip).

The other thing I see is that I have questions on your pressure shift - certainly doesn't appear you are getting much vertical force from your lead leg - stays bent too long and give you somewhat of a folding chair look in the finish (best seen from dtl view). By lead arm parallel in downswing you should have 70% or more pressure under your lead foot and begin pushing back, up and away from the target with the leg - just as you extend the spine in the backswing you also extend it in the follow through - now you might be getting the pressure over there and it's a case of more pushing. the easy part is noting it - the hard part is telling why and how to improve - see Monte instagram clip below on how it can be different things for different people.

Here's you after impact. Left side not really extending much - knee still bent

D78ZZ14ALFED.pngHere's a guy Monte worked with on use of vertical force (after) pretty significant difference, eh. This use of vertical force is an important part of the release and speed generation - so you may have some more pep in the step so to speak if you get this worked out better.

73JB83ZT2UQB.pngThe monte instagram clip

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Ta3LMFh_e/Good luck. I think the two issues you worked one you have somewhat under control - my experience is that as I took lessons and worked on things it went like this - early work good then as I worked on it more I tended to overdo the fix (kinda like your spine extension) - so next lesson part of it would be to tone it down - so goldilocks drills (over do it, under do it, then do it right) is part of my practice regime now.

Guy

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

@glk haha I noticed the black pants but it was the most recent video I had. I figured it would have to do. Your analysis was spot on. Monte talked extensively about my lack of using the vertical forces. Stated that since I didn't load it in the backswing it threw off the whole sequence. I had a massive head dip and actually increased the flex in my trail knee when I first sent videos to Iteach. Stayed in flexion the entire backswing and that little left knee slide through impact helped me hit down on the ball. Really appreciate your insight. I've got some things to work on at the range tonight. Played yesterday a felt stuck and flippy all day. Golf is hard

Sounds like you’ve come a long ways. When I’m going on feels my spine extension feels more of a stretch in my core and/ or right side. Makes regaining flexion in transition much easier more me. One of my fav drills is to do the Justin rose drill - couples really well with the extension move. Good luck.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

"retain lever system" - mmmm, sounds like hold the lag and going on about his right HAND is a waste of OP's time as this advice usually is for every single person you make suggestions to (which is pretty much every time YOU post). The dangers of swing vids viewed by random strangers.

My suggestion for OP is DO NOT read the post above, trust your instructors and don't be afraid to follow up with them and if glk has you continuing on the right track, keep at it!

Appreciate the replies. Interesting comments regarding Stack and Tilt. Iteach mentioned that because I was pivoting incorrectly that I may need to "feel" like I'm doing S & T in order to make a correct centered turn. My natural tendency is to turn the hips and shoulders too level moving the head way off the ball. It's gotten better but, like everyone else, I regress under pressure. I wish I could make the pivot I make in video 1 without the stick. It hasn't bled into my swing yet.

As far as the right hand goes, I do believe this may contribute to me getting steep and over the top from times. Iteach wanted me to get the trail shoulder working more down in transition as opposed to so much out. That should keep the right hand from firing from the top.

Again I appreciate all of the responses. It helps me to brainstorm about my swing and where need to focus my priorities.

So I am wrong in thinking my pivot is the cause of my pull hook? Before I did my first online lessons I struggled with a horrible case of the shanks and was about ready to quit the game. I believe this is why I'm hesitant to start the transition with the with my lower body and it feels "safer" to get that right shoulder coming over. Iteach got me sorted out very quickly and I struck the ball as well as I ever have. After a while, I believe my right shoulder started getting too much out and I started hitting smother hooks with driver. I started a thread about it a few years back. Anyway, the pull hook trickled down the bag and I couldn't understand why. This was around the time the Gankas threads were very popular. I ended up joining his membership site and I noted all of the drills that seemed relevant to me. I played Thursday and struggled with the left miss. Towards the end of the round, I said screw it and tried to get the COM of the clubhead working behind my hands in transition and the more comfortable I got doing it the better the ball flight. The last 5 holes I played very well. The feeling I have is almost exactly as you described. Right hand rotates a bit clockwise opening the face a bit (I have a very strong left hand grip so its a good feel for me) and the shoulder gets a bit of external rotation. I feel a nice stretch like the shaft is being flung into the ball if that makes since. Hopefully I can make this last for an extended period. I guess this is a feel I will have to constantly focus on in order to get a proper transition and downswing. I always thought shallowing would happen naturally but I guess for some golfers it is something they have to consciously think about. I love thinking about the golf swing (probably to my own detriment) and appreciate your post.

Played a match against a friend of mine and carded an easy 39 on the front. The swing felt great and effortless. I was hitting fairways and greens and it just seemed to be smooth sailing. Hadn't hit the ball this well in a couple months. Had a nice 3 shot lead at the turn. I'm not sure how much of it was a mental meltdown or if my lack of nutrition played a part by I proceeded to blow up on the back 9. Carded a nice 46 with triples on both of the par 5s and lost by 3. Had the low lefts going on the back but was never out of the hole. No penalty strokes and more times than not I was in the fairway but my approach shots just flat out awful. A sound short game would have saved me quiet a few shots but that will always be a weakness of mine no matter how many hours a week I practice around the green.

So in short, I feel like I'm back on the right path but need to ingrain it so that I don't revert back to the old move when fatigued or playing with a lead. So many layers of this game to master but I guess that's what keeps us coming back

New to forum only used this for club stuff before but started looking at the forums. Decent backswing club outside the hands on takeaway, although you do roll your wrists slightly in the backswing as you take it to the top which gives the club a slight laid off look at the top of the swing. Should look at David Ledbetter A swing takeaway good reference to get club back on line at top. What I see is you have what looks like a reverse pivot, your head is going lower in the back swing and your weight forward before you complete your backswing. I can tell you don't get into your left side well because you are releasing your lag. I think you need to work on your weight transfer. Load that right leg and don't tilt forward before your weight transfers. (stay tall) Get loaded on the right side then start moving laterally and down toward the target and post up on that left leg after impact. Previous posts saying its bent at impact, yeah that's not good should be straight. Obviously you cant get there because your weight shifts back due to the reverse pivot. Hence why your right leg is collapsing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update and thinking out loud about where my game is at..... when I'm not doing the stick drill my hips have a tendency to not tilt properly but it seems to not be the biggest priority for me to strike the ball well. I've been posting some decent scores (for me) and striking the ball very well. I feel like I'm playing golf again and can pick a target and fire at it. The quality of the strike has also gone up drastically and I'm picking up a little yardage throughout the bag. This is very encouraging since it's cold out. Posted an 83 today at a short goat track. Had a really good front nine and then just blew up on the back. My buddy joined me on the back and I'm just not as focused when I play with him. So the mental game needs a bit of work. My biggest weakness, and I've known this for sometime now, is I choke inside of 60 yards. I believe I've posted before about having the chipping yips and I'm still struggling. I have both Monte and Dan's short game videos and have watched the Kisner video. Have taken short game lessons from a friend who's a very good player. I practice the short game 3-4 times a week and am very good ON THE PRACTICE RANGE. Yesterday I had a very good practice session and was hoping that it would translate into today's round.....not so much. When I get over the ball and have a basic chip or delicate pitch I get very tense. I try to relax and make a smooth stroke but my anxiety takes over and I flinch at the ball, proceeding to send it 10 yards over the back of the green. I know I need to stop being focused on the outcome but It's hard when you've been blading chips for years. I've had some success trying to keep my handle and chest rotating at the same rpm. Went from probably 100% blades to a 50/50 mix of using the bounce properly and blades. I'm going to try that swing thought some more. Today I was thinking turn the core through but I think the arms can lag too far behind and make you blade it with that swing thought. Just thinking out loud. If anyone has a good pitching swing thought I'm open to trying it out.

swing from 2 weeks ago. Not the prettiest but it workshttps://youtu.be/7Qoyp1OowXQ

• 3 months later...

Played my first round after 6 weeks of shelter in place and the results were dreadful. Hit one solid shot the hole 18 the rest were low hooks that went nowhere. Enjoyed being out in the fresh air but I might as well have just caddied for my buddy. Hit the range today and filmed and all I can say is wow. The regression from not playing is crazy. IIt feels like I'm using all arms and possibly flipping. Not sure what to prioritize to work on first. Hope to patch something together so I can play Monday.

https://youtu.be/tISVWzsWEqIFirst swing was my regular move, 2nd swing was me trying to work on taking the club more to the inside like Iteach told me years ago....trying to get the pivot better.

https://youtu.be/hixKjzXJZDgThis video I was trying to hit 3/4 shots to get the contact better it did improve but still drawing more than I like. Wasn't enough room to get a face on. But maybe next time.

Anything that blatantly sticks out to you guys. I'm officially a hack again.

I agree and It feels like I can't hold it off from turning over through impact; like the physics are forcing it to close even more. I'm not sure why. I've always had a very strong 3.5 knuckle left hand grip but was able to make it work. Actually have the ability to hit a tiny cut when I'm swinging my best.

I was working on my takeaway and shallowing during my time off. Maybe that piece is not compatible with what I was doing before or I need to change something else to make it work?

I may give it a whirl. Grip changes are tough and that will be something I will have to work on long term. I actually have one of those training grips in my closet so I'll have to hold onto it while I watch tv. @Red4282 I think you're on to something with the rotation
I felt like I was getting stuck and had to stall to let the club catch up to the ball. After doing a lot of reading today, I think my path may have gotten too in to out in my attempt to get a bit more shallower. It makes since to me that the extreme path is causing the excessive draw spin and the closed face is starting the ball on my target or left of it. I always thought pull hooks were caused from being over the top so my attempts to solve the pull hook by trying to hit a push may have exacerbated the situation. The symptoms are all there, low overdraws/snaphooks, inconsistent contact, and the beginning of lower back pain. I was reading some of the other threads and this particular Mike Malaska video resonated with me a bit. I currently have the incorrect feel he describes of the club dropping back behind me while the hands work out towards the ball.
https://youtu.be/--MlMXYTAZcI may have sorted it out so we shall see at the next range session. I plan on placing an object in front of and just to the outside of the ball to encourage a better path. Maybe try and intentionally hit big cuts the next time I play.