I'm done playing crappy golf...

BeerPerHole

My come to J moment was/needs to continue to be a realization that to enjoy the game my expectations need to be realistic. My low score in competition was a 69, so in my mind that was then what I was capable of. In reality, I was capable of doing that a very few times out of hundreds of rounds...that is not/was not what I was capable of on nearly every day I stepped on to the course. When I went on to the course all of those other days and shot a 72 or 82 or 92...I was to different degrees frustrated. What would I tell a playing partner if they were pissed about not matching their career low on every round...get over it and enjoy the shots you hit well. It would seem ridiculous to me to watch a single digit be less than pleased when they shot 77,75 in competition, yet that would be me. And of course when I went out and shot an 83 in the weekend group...my clubs should be taken away from me and I should be banned from the game.

So, was the problem my game or my expectations? I have at least concluded that a 69 is not my true capability when I step on the first tee, and a 79 is not a failure to live up to my abilities.

My failure is to understand and accept that I am not good enough (nor is anyone else) to consistently match my all time best or even consistently hit a shot in a round that is one of the best shots I have ever hit. When I accept that...those days are good days on the course. When I don't, I am really showing a weakness far greater than my swing :-)

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I've played this game for decades.

Never knew a recreational player that was completely content with his/her game.

If that's the requirement, it probably won't happen.

But golf is still fun, so I keep playing while I can.

• Like 1

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

"The fact that you said you’re sick and tired of being sick and tired of “bad golf” will make you better in and of itself"

YES!!!

I said that exact thing to myself 2 years ago regarding my putting. Being "fed up with" something is powerful. I decided to fix my putting from 2.5 to 6 feet, and I did. Lowered my putts per round just over 2 putts, on average. And all it took was that initial spark. That spark led me down a path of discovery and improvement.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 1 month later...

Well, after getting ticked off and doing something about it I'm now playing better. Went out last weekend and won a small tourney at a challenging course with a net 66. That felt good. I have started spending more time around the practice green with my wedges and it certainly paid off. Hit my driver really well, too. I know there will be setbacks. But, playing better...

I think most of us have had that same realization that "I gotta make a change" at some point. I try to work on one aspect of my game a year, starting with the biggest weakness.

One year it was putting... I researched theory and drills, learned what works for me, practiced a bunch and basically I don't 3-putt anymore. I used to 3-putt at least 4 times a round... now, I might have one 3 banger every 2 rounds.

Last year it was wedges... This took a while, and some new wedges and new drills/approach. Now, if you get me within 125 yards, I'm a pin hunting machine! I used to average 1 birdie every 2 rounds.... now I average probably 2.5 birdies a round (it's all about stuffing shots in close to pins).

This year I'm going to try to make my driver an even better weapon so I can play more aggressively.

I'm a 4.0 index, and I think I can get to scratch by the end of 2020.... that's the goal.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I went through my bag, regripped my driver, 3W and hybrid. Replaced a 58 degree wedge with a 56, and retired my 4 iron. I don't want anything in my bag I don't feel comfortable using.

Been working on my short game like a demon, dialing in my iron distances, and working on straightening out my tee shots. The driver stays in the bag unless there's a need for it. Unlike before, I want to take my second shot from the fairway rather than the trees.

I'm also tired of crappy golf.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you guys are not complaining about crappy golf during winter, as that comes with the season. I played yesterday and it was so muddy, had to be careful where I walked. I am hoping that once some real grass shows up to hit off of, then the scores will be better, and the cold weather is a real hindrance as well. Once warmer weather gets here, then I expect better scores as I feel very tight in the swing right now. Winter golf is just a patsy, but, better than staying home. Warm weather will be here this week, and the grass is already starting to grow again in some places, but not the golf course.I have settled down on clubs, and just working on what I have, with the exception of an SM7 SW I just picked up. My driver came back after throwing me overboard last week, and the putter was decent. The irons keep saving me week after week. I am also really enjoying the ERC golf ball. It feels like you killed it on good hits, but they are the same length, LOL! After a winter that did it's best to kill me, I hope to have a full recovery and play some decent golf. I am sure my hdcp will drop to 14 this year, or better, by July.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

This is my biggest issue in golf. My expectations are too high based on my past golf. I am coming back to golf full time this year after several years of playing 1-2 times each year. My expectations have to be lower because I am older, less flexible, and haven’t played enough to keep a good swing consistently. Having said that, I am enjoying being outside and playing again like I haven’t in decades. My overall demeanor on the course is better, more happy, and less negative. Yes, I still have the occasional shot where I say to myself that I am a no golf talent having S.OB., but I put that away quickly and get my mind back to enjoying the game for the next shot. My swing is coming along and I feel I can be quite better by mid summer, but that has everything to do with telling myself that I cannot hit a drive 280 anymore, and taking the long irons out of the bag like I should have 10 years ago and replace them with hybrids (which by the way is the single smartest and best thing I have done with golf, ever). I have always had a good short game and it is coming back as well. I have an all new bag of clubs I am really happy with and am just enjoying walking and playing golf for the sake of it, not caring about how far I hit any club or if it went a little offline to the point of having a bad time on the course. This realization has made me happier and my scores have actually been decent because I just hit the ball, go find it, and hit it again, until I put it in the hole. Not taking the very low percentage shots and just taking my medicine and putting the ball back in play is far from boring...

My main achilles heel over the past few seasons has been course management. This season I have been really focusing on hitting the right shot and keeping my head out on the course. Work smarter not harder!

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth 9

Ping G410 17.5

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20

Callaway Rogue Pro ST 23

Srixon ZX4 5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW

Titliest SM8 51, 56, 61

Nike 001

Titliest ProV1