Your most humbling experience on the course

124»

Comments

• BraxtonFullertonBraxtonFullerton Members  70WRX Points: 34Handicap: 21Posts: 70 Bunkers

This year.

Uphill Par 3, course was in Club Championship configuration, so the hole was cut near the absolute front of a false front green, that feeds sharply down a hill. First shot just short of the pin... rolls 30 ft down the hill. Second shot 6 ft past the hole... Putt it and it takes off past the cup back all the way down the hill... Fourth shot doesn't quite make the cup and you guessed it... back down the hill. Took a 7 and emptied my flask right then and there.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9° / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 Shaft

Cobra King F8 One Length 4 & 5 Hybrid

Cobra King F8 6-GW irons

Cleveland RTX 2.0 54° & 58° Wedges

Ping Scottsdale TR Senita B Putter

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PulledabillPulledabill Members  445WRX Points: 72Handicap: 6Posts: 445 Greens

Years ago I had a new coworker who wanted to go golfing with me. He hadnt touched a club in 10 years.He went through some drug and alcohol issues so golf wasnt a priority. He seemed like a burnt out ex heroin addict who had a set of clubs. I was early 20s he was 40 or so.

He drove out and came back with some dusty old clubs. Actually they were some nice old blades. He struggled down the first hole but was catching back on by the 2nd hole and by 6 or 7 he was only like 2 over. I shot a 83 or something and he shot a 75 or so. He was playing a different game and that was after not touching a club in 10 years.

I found out he grew up in a country club setting so swim lessons, tennis lessons. and golf lessons were a daily activity and he played golf most everyday for years until drugs took over.

Dont judge a book by its cover!

Posted:
  • BREWMASTER95060BREWMASTER95060 Members  173WRX Points: 36Posts: 173 Fairways

290 drive 3 wedges to the green 40 yards away.

Posted:
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5325WRX Points: 428Handicap: 10Posts: 5,325 Titanium Tees

Humbling... learned how broke I am on the course last week in Scottsdale.

Playing with a couple and the the man told me he and his girlfriend spend $800-$1000 a week on green fees every week thought out the winter here in AZ.

Humbling...

Posted:
    TM SIM Max D 10.5 GD AD VR 6s
    TM M4 15* GD AD DI 6s
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM P790 4-AW Modus 105
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT Bigfoot 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members  3777WRX Points: 1,141Handicap: 4Posts: 3,777 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • mcputtermcputter Members  1040WRX Points: 226Handicap: 0.9Posts: 1,040 Platinum Tees

So this happened over 30 years ago, I was playing in a mini-tour event and on about the 5th hole I missed my second short putt (3-5') of the round. Of course, needing to show the other mini-tour pros that I usually never miss short putts (I think this was one of the mini-tour pro rules from another thread), I slapped my right hand in anger against my right hip/leg. I didn't hit it that hard (wasn't that easy either) but it must have been at just the wrong angle. By the 13th hole my hand had swollen up and I couldn't finish the round. My hand was fine after 3-4 days, but that was really stupid and humbling.

Posted:
    Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  284WRX Points: 126Handicap: 14Posts: 284 Greens

Golf is always humbling but playing a 82 at a course just to come back next time and play a 95. You think yepp i got it. This course is mine and my game is really on. Just to realize wow i dont got it and my game can take a wild turn some days. Makes you love the game and really appreciate the good days and how good some other players in the world are.

Posted:
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3613WRX Points: 195Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,613 ClubWRX

Most humbling experience was being paired with a couple who was in their late 70’s. Avid golfers who showed how the game should be played from tee to green. They hit the ball straight as an arrow for the most part and ultimately played bogey or better golf. Never took a bad shot to heart. Always kept pace of play up. Admired our shots but played their own game.

Posted:
    Tourstage 9* Graphite Design MJ
    Callaway Subzero 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Taylormade sldr 2 hybrid 19* 
    Callaway 3 iron C taper 110
    Bridgestone Tour B XCB 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 52/58  C taper 110
    Titleist Fast back
    Taylormade Tourpreffered X
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  1987WRX Points: 276Handicap: 17Posts: 1,987 ClubWRX

Today, shot 51 on the front, I almost started crying. I kept it together and came back with my lowest ever score, a 37 on the back. Roller coaster for sure. I just recovered somewhat from the flu, and decided to play today as it is easily the most beautiful day of the year, by far. I guess because I haven't played in a while, and the a.. whipping the flu gave me, it just took a while to get going again. The last two holes I started losing strength, and was just able to bogey both. I couldn't hit the driver at all. So glad I finished strong on the back. I easily hit some of my best drives and irons ever, and throw in the 7 wood saving my bacon. The putter was golden on the back, but not the front. I felt like a true hack on the front, so embarrassed.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54 Wedges
    SM7 58* D
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20333WRX Points: 899Posts: 20,333 Titanium Tees

My bag fell off the cart once.

Posted:

• RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ Members  116WRX Points: 97Handicap: between my earsPosts: 116 Fairways

I went into #15 at -2 at Stone Creek in Phoenix. Made a 4-footer for birdie to go -3. Proceeded to go double, bogey, double on 16-18. Went from potentially a 69 to 74. The day before that, I shot 86 or something at a different course, playing at about a 2hcp at that time. This stupid game...

Posted:

WHS Index: ~3
    -WITB-
    Cobra F7+ 8* w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g - tipped 1"
    Ping G410 Crossover 2i w/ DG SL105 X
    Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    Cleveland RTX 4; 50-mid, 54-mid, 58-mid w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    Bridgestone Tour B X
    Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.