Really good fake Scotty Cameron's flooding the market.

LinksHoppingGolfer ·  
LinksHoppingGolferLinksHoppingGolfer Members  1WRX Points: 13Posts: 1 Starters

Just a warning, there are really good quality fake scotty's being sold on eBay. If their homeland is China and are shipping from Georgia, DO NOT BUY!! These sellers have a buy it now price of $259.99.

When I mean high quality fakes, I mean really good quality. These putters have the mill lines on the back, the gray SKU sticker, and the shaft sticker is spot on and facing the back like the authentic ones.

The one thing that raised any suspicions, was the head cover they send was definitely a knock off, and when I asked about it, they said they bought it from a stores display rack, and they replaced the putter with a headcover they got on ebay, which I believed since even the guys at the PGA superstore said it looked legit.

The only way I fold out it was fake, was when I bought another scotty from the same buyer because it was such a good deal, (and the first the first one looked 100% legit) was when I

received the same bad knockoff headcover. That's when I compared the 2 and realized they had the same exact serial number!!

Just be careful buying scotty's.

Posted:

Comments

• bobiddlebobiddle Members  1WRX Points: 6Posts: 1 Starters

Don't buy Scotty Cameron's on Ebay. If you are interested in buying them, I would encourage you to look around on FB. There are some private groups dedicated to the brand and you don't have to worry about knock-offs. Tons of putters available.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Smada962Smada962 Members  149WRX Points: 115Posts: 149 Fairways

On top of that, I find ebay prices to be higher (sometimes substantially higher) than the various Facebook groups, or BST page here.

Posted:
  • jmiller3483jmiller3483 Members  113WRX Points: 61Handicap: My swing Posts: 113 Fairways

Thank you for the heads up!

Posted:
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXASMembers  6545WRX Points: 660Handicap: 4.4Posts: 6,545 Titanium Tees

i'm on plenty of them and some of them still try to pass on their fake putters, grips and covers. some not knowing and some just trying to pass it quickly. I call them out all the time.

best place is on the cameron collector forums.

Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
  • msd71msd71 Members  753WRX Points: 159Handicap: 1Posts: 753 Golden Tee

Wouldn't the plastic wrapping on the head indicate it's a fake?

Posted:
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members  5058WRX Points: 328Handicap:[email protected] 7Posts: 5,058 Titanium Tees

OP -- Thanks for also pointing out the GIV-AWAYS to the fake-ness. Too often people just post "100% fake" with regard to someone's questionable putter, and never offer why they believe it to be fake. I've always thought we could all -- at least I could -- learn something by being shown what the tell tale signs are.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FourPutt72FourPutt72 Members  19WRX Points: 18Posts: 19 Bunkers

This is (was?) the eBay seller: ix_make9965. I reported this seller yesterday and he is now gone from eBay as are all of his listings. If they have a lot of fakes to unload they will probably reappear using another name.

I used to buy and sell a lot of Scottys on eBay and had pretty good luck. I've probably owned over 100 Scottys and only bought one fake. I don't do it anymore because there are just too many fakes out there and I'm not enough of an expert to tell the difference by just looking at pictures.

If it appears to be too good to be true it probably is.....

Posted:
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members  4017WRX Points: 746Posts: 4,017 Titanium Tees

Check out TCC. Lots of real SC goods available on the BST forums.

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • ronstarsronstars Location = NorCal Members  1642WRX Points: 267Posts: 1,642 Platinum Tees

This all day...fastest way to tell is if the head is wrapped in plastic...Cameron does not do this.

Posted:
    The Big Dog ~ Speedzone|Diamana BF 60X
    The 3 Banger ~ M2|AD DI 70X
    The Deuce ~ P790|AD DI 95X
    The Metal ~ King Forged Tec 4-Gw|C-Taper Matte Black
    The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
    Flatstick ~ Cameron JAT (x2)|1st or 500 Golo 5|Piretti Lucca|TP Mullen|TriForce 3 1of1
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXASMembers  6545WRX Points: 660Handicap: 4.4Posts: 6,545 Titanium Tees

there are some asian collectors that do this on their own to preserve it/display it that way. more than likely, yes it will be fake if it's wrapped but that's not always 100% the case. obviously it is in this one.

Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110

Are you sure the one you marked as real is actually real? It doesn’t look like the one I have. And the stitching looks different too. What’s with the stitch going from the “d” in “milleD” all the way to the top of the cover?

Pulled from the SC site. Maybe yours is a different year. I’m no expert.

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot

Advertisement

...and then they have this one on the archives. I'm unsure if i've seen the black stripes on the bottom. all i see with in hand covers are the all red.

Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
  • dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers  277WRX Points: 247Handicap: +3Posts: 277 Greens
    Posted:
  • jschwarbjschwarb Members  873WRX Points: 175Posts: 873 BST Banned

Same with Titleist balls. I bought some ProV1s off eBay and when most arrived in wrappers, I was 99 percent sure they were fakes. Then I took a closer look at the boxes and balls and it was 100 percent.

Posted:
  • pfgiv81pfgiv81 Members  82WRX Points: 43Posts: 82 Fairways

Someone should just buy them all from the seller, then once they receive them, let eBay know they are counterfeit. Gets them off the market and will make the seller think twice about doing this again

Posted:

Ping G410 Driver 10.5* Tensei Orange Stiff
    Callaway X Hot 4-Wood 17* Stiff
    Callaway X Hot Hybrid #4 22* Tour AD DI 85 Stiff
    Ping iE1 4-PW Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 Stiff +1" Green Dot
    Miura Wedge Y Grind 51* K Grind 56* Y Grind 59*
    Ping JAS W Ti Anser 35" Orange Dot

Great idea. I’ll nominate you to put down that kind of money to protect all the people you don’t even know.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members  3582WRX Points: 1,122Posts: 3,582 Titanium Tees

Link to the great fake(s)?

The one you posted is blatantly fake and looks the same as the ones that have been coming out for several years.

The only people who would buy these I think are those people who are just totally new to the game or someone who doesn't even golf buying it as a gift.

Posted:

Didn't realize I didn't put this in my post. eBay will refund you if you buy counterfeit items and they will tell you not to return it but rather destroy it. eBay would refund you in full from the seller. It's probably better than reporting them to eBay and having the person create a new handle to sell them again.

Posted:

• the bishopthe bishop Members  3931WRX Points: 945Posts: 3,931 Titanium Tees

Right. But you said "someone" should buy them all. Why not you?

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5*
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG62 5-P
    W/S Staff Model 52/56/60
    TM Ardmore 3
  • brkuckbrkuck Members  1766WRX Points: 194Posts: 1,766 Platinum Tees

As honorable of intentions you may have, It doesn't really matter who would do something like that, because one seller among thousands will do nothing. The minute that the site or shop gets shut down, there are 20 more that pop up in its place. It comes down to people being educated and not buying stuff before doing their homework. Too many go out and buy fakes without a care because it's cheaper than anything they have seen online. The companies also have to protect the word of mouth advertising that comes from people buying fake clubs and the product not working out correctly or breaking. If a person buys a fake (insert company name) and then tells their friend(s) it was junk, that can affect what people think of that company. Most of the time they aren't smart enough to know that the club the have adverse feeling about is a fake. Comes down to people not buying them and using their brain.

Posted:

Are you just being pedantic or are you genuinely curious as to why not me? Before you answer, why not you? I wasn't aware that to make a (half serious) suggestion for something, one must always be able to handle such suggestion on their own.

Posted:

Advertisement

You shouldn't suggest something you're not willing to do yourself. And why not me? Because I don't give a shiat.

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5*
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG62 5-P
    W/S Staff Model 52/56/60
    TM Ardmore 3

I think it’s perfectly fine to suggest things you’re not always willing or able to do yourself. That’s how ideas are shared. Does that mean I shouldn’t suggest that someone make an app that does xyz, because I don’t have the skills to create an app.

Ok I’m done with the topic, carry on

Posted:

• mjbfybmjbfyb Members  445WRX Points: 264Posts: 445 Greens
    Posted:
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members  3582WRX Points: 1,122Posts: 3,582 Titanium Tees

^it looks like he purposefully limits the photos and the angles and does them in dark lighting

I actually called eBay once to report a fake because multiple people were bidding on it. I talked to a real person and he took a report and I think it got taken down eventually.

Usually eBay customer service is terrible but once I pushed the "report counterfeit" or something button, it took me to a guy in the U.S.

Posted:
  • FourPutt72FourPutt72 Members  19WRX Points: 18Posts: 19 Bunkers

Yes, I saw that. I have sent him several messages and reported him to eBay. I just reported him to Titleist. It would be helpful if the OP would report this to eBay and Titleist. He has sold a lot of theses putters and a lot of our fellow golfers are getting ripped off.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members  1103WRX Points: 234Posts: 1,103 Platinum Tees

But you do have the skills to buy all his stuff, so your comparison makes no sense. Now we're back to why you're suggesting others to do something you could just do yourself...

Posted:
    XTD 10.5* Pro Launch Blue 55X
    917F2 16.5* Fuji P95X
    Nike VFP 3 Fuji P95X
    T-MB 4 CT130X
    5-PW VR Pro CB/MB Raw Combo CT130X
    National Custom 53/58 CT130X
    Raw Hi-Toe 64* CT130X
    Spider/Cameron

And he's apparently wasting time he could be spending formulating his next stupid idea by petulantly flagging others' posts.

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5*
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG62 5-P
    W/S Staff Model 52/56/60
    TM Ardmore 3

I literally did not flag anyone's post, feel free to ask an admin. I was done with the topic when I said "Ok I’m done with the topic, carry on". It's ok though internet tough guys, keep trolling if it pleases you. I'm just here to hit my 75 post requirement for BST, so maybe quote me a few more times so I can reply again. Thanks

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.