2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Craft beer Drinkers Unite!

Slapjax7s

> @srooch2 said:

> Hello all, I have just left the brewing business after 4 years of commercial brewing 3 of which I was the head brewer(brewmaster) due to chronic back pain. I am also not playing any golf at the moment needless to say. If anybody wants to chat technical things on brewing or any general questions don't hesitate to ask. I am staying home with my 2 kids full time now and am looking forward to my next chapter but still look forward to homebrewing again and eventually playing golf someday. Cheers

Did you enjoy brewing on a commercial scale? I'm a big homebrewer (just got the first few batches run through my new 15gal electric system and cannot talk enough about how much easier it is than outdoor/gas) and have been pulled into discussion re: opening a small (5bbl cap) local brewery.

> @zeoalex said: Did you enjoy brewing on a commercial scale? I'm a big homebrewer (just got the first few batches run through my new 15gal electric system and cannot talk enough about how much easier it is than outdoor/gas) and have been pulled into discussion re: opening a small (5bbl cap) local brewery.

Yes I loved brewing commercially, it was fun and very rewarding but A LOT of work. My first advice is to be good at business first or make sure someone you are partnered with is. Sounds like a no brainer but this is the biggest downfall of small breweries; just thinking they can brew a good beer and the rest will take care of itself. You will be crunching a lot of numbers and need to have that end covered more so than the brewing side. I've seen breweries make bad beer and have such a good structured business and marketing plan that they succeed. I've also seen the opposite, breweries make great beer and fail because they weren't ready for the business end of things. I usually advise people to work in another commercial brewery first, there is a ton of things that we do commercially that homebrewers just don't know about; CIP, purging tanks, proper disposal of chemicals and the list goes on. If that is not an option, do yourself a huge favor and hire a consultant, this will be the best investment you can make as long as they are the right one. Also, remember that brewing is a labor of love for a reason, you will never get rich off of it. I know with all the influx of breweries right now it seems like it's a thriving industry but you do not make much money especially on a smaller scale like you are talking about. It can be done but it's difficult. Study your local market and see where you can fit in, the market is trending towards smaller breweries so you have to find you niche. I have written multiple business plans and you will have to have a sound one with tight numbers and an exit strategy if the worst happens. I could go on and on about it. If you get serious you can always reach out to me. I will start dabbling in consulting someday so I might be able to help if that day comes. Best of luck and I hope this helps a little. Cheers

> @srooch2 said:

> > @zeoalex said: Did you enjoy brewing on a commercial scale? I'm a big homebrewer (just got the first few batches run through my new 15gal electric system and cannot talk enough about how much easier it is than outdoor/gas) and have been pulled into discussion re: opening a small (5bbl cap) local brewery.

> Yes I loved brewing commercially, it was fun and very rewarding but A LOT of work. My first advice is to be good at business first or make sure someone you are partnered with is. Sounds like a no brainer but this is the biggest downfall of small breweries; just thinking they can brew a good beer and the rest will take care of itself. You will be crunching a lot of numbers and need to have that end covered more so than the brewing side. I've seen breweries make bad beer and have such a good structured business and marketing plan that they succeed. I've also seen the opposite, breweries make great beer and fail because they weren't ready for the business end of things. I usually advise people to work in another commercial brewery first, there is a ton of things that we do commercially that homebrewers just don't know about; CIP, purging tanks, proper disposal of chemicals and the list goes on. If that is not an option, do yourself a huge favor and hire a consultant, this will be the best investment you can make as long as they are the right one. Also, remember that brewing is a labor of love for a reason, you will never get rich off of it. I know with all the influx of breweries right now it seems like it's a thriving industry but you do not make much money especially on a smaller scale like you are talking about. It can be done but it's difficult. Study your local market and see where you can fit in, the market is trending towards smaller breweries so you have to find you niche. I have written multiple business plans and you will have to have a sound one with tight numbers and an exit strategy if the worst happens. I could go on and on about it. If you get serious you can always reach out to me. I will start dabbling in consulting someday so I might be able to help if that day comes. Best of luck and I hope this helps a little. Cheers

>

Thank you for the insight! We've gotten as far as to figure an area, and write up a business plan that we're finalizing/tweaking right now. We've found an area that is pretty much devoid of breweries, and a town council that seems really receptive to something like that. The goal is to be almost entirely community based and develop it as a co-op where members buy into the business and get things back out (ie: profit sharing, decision making power, LOADS of education opportunities, etc) which I think is something else that will help us stand out.

I don't claim to know too much about the pro-brewing side, but as I've built up my new system (I'll post some shots later), I've tried to incorporate some of the more pro-level stuff like CIP (even though I'm not using caustics), My hope is not to be *the* brewer, but *a* brewer for this place which would hopefully let me keep my day job that I really like, but who knows heh. I'll definitely reach out at some point in the future!

Glad i stumbled upon this thread. I LOVE me some beer!!!!

Lived in Germany for 5 years and was spoiled by being able to drive to some of the Lambic places in Brussels (Cantillon, 3F etc). I'm not a huge lambic but I loaded up on it up pretty well and it was just cool to see the history of beer. There are so many good options out there right now and we are just about to hit Stout season which makes me excited,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2019 Revolution Cafe Deth. Oh. My.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sdblte12w5jv2w9/20191025_143432.jpg "")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Flannel Buddies Imperial Stout, Goldwater Brewing, Scottsdale, AZ. Wonderful coffee flavor.

20191227_132425.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

• 3 weeks later...

that will be the last year for CBS as they plan to focus on other things. From what I have heard sales are not great due to recent allegations regarding racism. They also got a letter asking them to stop using the Mountie on CBS. It will be interesting to see how Founders weather the storm.

If you ever get a chance, Nickelbrook Brewing out of Burlington Ontario makes some great aged stouts in bourbon barrels such as cafe el bastardo, kentucky bastard, winey bastard, cuvee and glory and gold. At their shop you can buy different years of some of these at a price.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife picked up some bottles of Jager-aged Arrogant Bastard Ale that I cannot wait to tap into!

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

• 3 weeks later...

A wonderful Whiskey Del Bac barrel aged Mescalero del Bac imperial stout at 1912 Brewing Company in Tucson, AZ.

20200304_181607.jpg

I'm not sure how much the racism issues factored into it - I've read some speculation that CBS and KBS just didn't sell well. You've gotta have inventory turnover, and CBS/KBS simply didn't move. Even in October/November of last year, you could still buy 2017 CBS. One of the local stores sold a combo pack for Christmas with 17, 18, and 19 CBS. I mean, a beer that costs $20 or more, and is only sold in 22oz bottles has a very limited market.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

2018 and 2019 were too sweet. the 2017 was an iconic year for CBS.

I'm not sure about sales locally, but CBS and KBS are sold in many markets. I can confirm at least in the markets around me that there are a ton of people who would religiously purchase several cases of CBS and KBS when they were released who no longer purchase any because of the publicity of their "incidents". there are so many choices in my area for great barrel aged stouts, so if we have to choose and knowing the recent news... its no longer going to be a beer from founders. Founders even has a social media hashtag thats common in the craft brew scene and home brew groups now #****founders. So I think the recent events has impacted them especially when the craft beer market is as saturated as it is now giving consumers tons of options that were not available even 5 years ago.

I'm in Ontario. The LCBO and the Beer Store own nearly 100% of all alcohol sales in Ontario minus what local breweries sell through the front doors. The LCBO is the one bringing in founders products. The last 2 batches of CBS and KBS were slow to sell and at some stores were discounted to move. Combine that with the social media backlash and breweries such as Nickelbrook/GLB making top notch imperial stouts. hell even Lickinghole creek one lion is a decent stout at a decent price.

I do hope Founders can change and survive this. They can clearly produce top notch barrel aged stouts.

Honestly, the biggest reason I don't buy more of their beer in general is that their IPA game isn't that strong compared to the local competition. Bell's, Oddside, Old Nation, Shorts, Big Lake just to name a few all have better options, and more options than Founders imo; and to me IPA's are more of a year round drinker to me than stouts are.

The gold standard. All beers after have tried to emulate this beer and in my opinion have failed and taken the "hazy" thing to an undrinkable level. What John Kimmich did there and what they went through to grow that brewery is an incredible story. It is a soft, well rounded, delicate beer that hits on all levels. They and hill farmstead produce the best IPA's in the country. Hill Farmstead even replicated Alchemist beers to a certain extent. And to be fair even alchemist barrowed from Greg Noonan who is really the originater of that style, but they put it on the map. Cheers

Thor's Smoked Imperial Stout from Hammerhead Brewing. It has a nice hot pepper kick.

20200314_170320.jpg