PX 6.0 vs Modus 120/130

Kyle287

Hey everyone!

Just seeing what you all think about Modus 120 and 130. I currently play Project X 6.0 with ok results. Misses are low left and low trajectory out of the rough. Would love more height overall. When trying Modus, I couldn’t really remember these shafts going anywhere but straight. I heard the bend profile of Project X is most like Modus 130 but don’t know if stiff or X is better. 7-iron is my 155-160 yard club.

Thanks!

Modus 130 is a very stout shaft. If you want to go that way, you probably shouldn’t think about an X flex. Stiff straight in or possibly soft stepped. Modus 120 is a very different profile from 130, super soft handle and midsection. It will feel very different than a 130 and feel much softer. Modus 120x will feel softer than Modus 130 stiff. If you are interested in Modus 120, definitely go hit it first, before you commit to it. It’s a very unique feeling shaft- most people either love it or hate it.... I have found both the modus 120 and 130 to both launch pretty high. I think they both would have a higher apex than PX 6.0.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

So I’m a Modus 120X guy. Absolutely love the feel and from a numbers perspective they work better for me than anything else that I’ve hit. Never really cared for PX and really don’t like Modus 130. Like Hookasaurus said, go hit them first because they are a different feel especially coming from PX.

If you want height then Modus 130 would be a good option. I would not go more than stiff in the 130.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Definitely try both. Very different shafts and both are very good. Modus 120 plays soft to flex, but not a noodle. Modus 130 plays firm to flex, but not the beast people make it out to be. I would agree that Modus 120 X plays a little softer than the 130 S. They are both mid flight. You will see the Modus 130 listed as a low launch shaft from some OEM's because it is stiffer than most. That being said, PX will feel more harsh than any Modus shaft you pick up. My personal feeling is that there are no good feeling stepless shaft. PX and C Taper are never described as "smooth". Even though the Modus 130 is a stiff bend profile, there are tons of steps on the shaft which seem to contribute to smoothness. Modus 120 seems to fit more people, Modus 130 seems to fit fewer. I have played extensively with PX 6.0, PX 6.5, Modus 120 X, Modus 130 S, Modus 130 X. All give me good numbers. PX does not feel great, mid flight, good dispersion. Modus 120 is super smooth but requires a smooth swing and results in poor dispersion for me. Modus 130 is smooth, but stands up to a quick transition and late release much better.

Based on your approximate swing speed and desire for more height, I would try the Modus 120 X and the Modus 130 R. Sounds crazy, but these two shaft are about the same stiffness and also weigh the same as your PX 6.0.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Just throwing in my two cents...I bought some Ping I E1 irons off ebay with project X 6.0. These launched a little low for me but mainly just felt harsh - I was always planning changing them.

I put in some Modus 130 S shafts and they give me good results. Good numbers but I really like the flight, high but not ballooning if that makes sense.

I appreciate they are considered quite stout but for me they appeared to be softer than the PX 6.0. From memory the FCM is 6.3 vs 6.5 (PX) and weight is 124g vs 120g so I wouldn't be scared of them if you currently play the project x.

130 and the PX would be more comparable in the way they are profiled from butt to tip (handle stiff to flex letter vs other profiles). 120s are closer to something like a DG profile.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I played PX 6.0 from 2006 to end of 2018. Not completely aware of the Modus line except for some due diligence last year when switching to slightly lighter graphite/steel shafts (110grm). I need a stiff butt and tip section. Modus3 Tour 120/130 are stiff in butt and mid section but the tip section is soft compared to PX stiff tip. IMO Modus is a solid shaft. Low left misses sounds like PX tip is a bit too stiff. Modus might be the answer to getting the ball up. My 2cents.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I have the 120x but will be leaving them in the next set of irons. Addicted to the feel but the trajectory is way too high with too much spin. Lost distance and playing in the wind sucks. The 120 is an odd animal and I firmly believe it is how you load/swing depends on what you get out of it. I am aggressive from the get go and in transition. Like I said I love the feel but hate the spin.

The 120 is absolutely not butt stiff to flex, quite the opposite and is one of the softer profiles out there. It's also one of the stiffer tip profiles to flex. The 130 is the opposite, but also still relatively stiff to flex through the whole profile. PX is not nearly as tip stiff as you are trying to make it out to be.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

I am always entertained and seldom agree with some of the absolutes certain people make on Golfwrx, your statement is one. It all depends on the testers skill and ability to measure playability, but believe what you chose. And for PX, I know many people that would disagree with your assertion, including me and I played them from 2006 to end of 2018. I am not going to argue. Readers can decide. Have a good day.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I still have the profiles on my PC, so I can remove the “opinions” involved in your assumptions.

Spider Tour X3

I've never found the 130x to be unpleasant or much of a trial, and my swing speed isn't crazy. Found it behaved similar to KBS Tour but a hair less spin. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't place the 130 as being similar to PX. PX is kind of it's own funny little animal.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Here is the shaft comparisons Kyle. It's a zone profile of each shaft. The 6.0 is not in the database that I saw (may have missed it), but you can get a picture of where it might fall based on the 5.5 and 6.5 numbers.

JFHU0OP2U5AC.png

Spider Tour X3

• 1 year later...

I’ve played the 6.0 for the last 3 years. It was a toss up between that and Modus 130s/x. I feel like I chose wrong.

PX6 is its own animal. For me, it’s only redeeming quality is that it launches low. Otherwise, I have found that it takes a lot more effort to properly load/activate the shaft. I find that I generally hit good shots but unless you can groove a swing precisely the same way over and over (and specifically the way that the shaft wants) you will have problems with a lot of inconsistent results. Feels ‘boardy’. When I groove my swing properly it’s butter and effortless.

I feel like maybe my swing has changed a bit as I’ve improved. I’m a 5 index looking for feel, better shaft dynamics and feedback, while maintaining reasonable dispersion and trajectory.

Just scheduled a fitting and targeting 120X and 130S, possibly others but will likely try to find a Nippon shaft vs. PX or DG300/400 which I’ve played previously with inconsistent results. A lot will depend on the Trackman data results. I’ve decided that I do not care for the PX feel and it’s somewhat quirky nature.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:58 AM, cw1209 said:

Definitely try both. Very different shafts and both are very good. Modus 120 plays soft to flex, but not a noodle. Modus 130 plays firm to flex, but not the beast people make it out to be. I would agree that Modus 120 X plays a little softer than the 130 S. They are both mid flight. You will see the Modus 130 listed as a low launch shaft from some OEM's because it is stiffer than most. That being said, PX will feel more harsh than any Modus shaft you pick up. My personal feeling is that there are no good feeling stepless shaft. PX and C Taper are never described as "smooth". Even though the Modus 130 is a stiff bend profile, there are tons of steps on the shaft which seem to contribute to smoothness. Modus 120 seems to fit more people, Modus 130 seems to fit fewer. I have played extensively with PX 6.0, PX 6.5, Modus 120 X, Modus 130 S, Modus 130 X. All give me good numbers. PX does not feel great, mid flight, good dispersion. Modus 120 is super smooth but requires a smooth swing and results in poor dispersion for me. Modus 130 is smooth, but stands up to a quick transition and late release much better.

Based on your approximate swing speed and desire for more height, I would try the Modus 120 X and the Modus 130 R. Sounds crazy, but these two shaft are about the same stiffness and also weigh the same as your PX 6.0.

Rifles are stepless and still available?

always considered them smooth if not too stiff

nice kick in the middle

On 1/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, Pepperturbo said:

I played PX 6.0 from 2006 to end of 2018. Not completely aware of the Modus line except for some due diligence last year when switching to slightly lighter graphite/steel shafts (110grm). I need a stiff butt and tip section. Modus3 Tour 120/130 are stiff in butt and mid section but the tip section is soft compared to PX stiff tip. IMO Modus is a solid shaft. Low left misses sounds like PX tip is a bit too stiff. Modus might be the answer to getting the ball up. My 2cents.

Edit: Sorry, just saw someone necro'd this from a year ago...

Hmm. I kinda disagree. You lump 120 and 130 in a same comment so no. You say PX is stiffer tip than 120 I say no. You say low left miss means PX tip is too stiff I say no.

If you need a stiff butt and stiff tip section you need to try 125/105. Not 120/130. Both 120/130 do have fairly stiff mid-sections.  120 has soft butt, tip stiff. 130 has stiff butt, soft tip. So really opposites.  And too stiff of a tip to me is going to make you go right.

I'd attribute low/left out of the rough more likely to be a flatter swing and the hosel is getting yoinked by the grass.

Edited by markheardjr
Added context

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

On 1/26/2020 at 5:00 AM, Kyle287 said:

Hey everyone!

Just seeing what you all think about Modus 120 and 130. I currently play Project X 6.0 with ok results. Misses are low left and low trajectory out of the rough. Would love more height overall. When trying Modus, I couldn’t really remember these shafts going anywhere but straight. I heard the bend profile of Project X is most like Modus 130 but don’t know if stiff or X is better. 7-iron is my 155-160 yard club.

Thanks!

General rule of thumb used is if you like PX then DG will most likely be your other alternative. If you like KBS then Modus your next best alternative and vice versa.

My carry for 7 iron is longer than yours and stiff flex is performing very well. Maybe more personal choice as I use x flex on woods but like stiff with irons.

Modus 120 and 130 are very different. I had no problem using either but more personal feel choice at the end of the day. 

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

19 hours ago, hypergolf said:

General rule of thumb used is if you like PX then DG will most likely be your other alternative. If you like KBS then Modus your next best alternative and vice versa.

My carry for 7 iron is longer than yours and stiff flex is performing very well. Maybe more personal choice as I use x flex on woods but like stiff with irons.

Modus 120 and 130 are very different. I had no problem using either but more personal feel choice at the end of the day. 

Never heard this before but i buy into it.   Bought a set of used irons many years ago that had KBS and played my best golf for a summer.  Like any good WRXer, I moved away to try 17 different sets of irons/shafts/grips.   Been very happy with my newer set of Srixon 585 with Modus.  Started with 105S then quickly to 105X, now onto 125X (SS) for some added weight which seems to helps my tempo.   Only re shafted one club so far but pretty excited to get the rest done as soon as the shafts come into the shop

Edited by JLo_73

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

Went from PX 6.5 to 130x.  I was always scared of the 130x because of all the stiffness comments.  I love it.  Very smooth to me.  A rep at Nippon told me 130 if I was transitioning from PX.  The high launch is a bit of a misnomer also.  I think it is very similar launch to the 6.5.  I get a few extra yards out of the 130 though.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH