Played my 1st pro-am, and got big leagued by a nobody!

kazuinda808

I think you’ve hit upon the very point of this thread.

Being respectful isn’t fake, and even just a simple smile can help make a person much happier.

Even if you need some sort of gain such as $$$ to motivate your behavior. No matter who you talk to, you should put up a polite face and cordial conduct. You never know who could influence your path moving forward or how?

None of us know how the OP behaved at first, but even if he was less than cordial, the pro is just that “a pro”. The “professional” behaves such and doesn’t make his customers wait every hole which is fine during actual play, but not if he can make simple idle conversation to demonstrate his professionalism.

Like others, I feel a little bit uncomfortable knowing the name of the pro, but I’m sure the OP had his reasons for naming him to possibly avoid off topic discussions? And given the name and event, I’m pretty certain it could be relatively easy to find out all the names involved.

In short, we know nothing about the OP other than the fact that he thought the back 9 pro didn’t live up to “pro”, and many of us agreed. Many didn’t.

We should always be mindful of how we treat others.

Or maybe Phil's perception that it is part of his representing golf is genuine. Phil is definitely one of those guy's who is so chummy, even with strangers, that people think he is fake when it is not really the case at all. He genuinely wants to know you. Now if he perceives you are a bit of a db, well then...he is probably going to treat you accordingly, but still in a friendly / chummy way. It's not fake, but Phil is just not the hot head or stand-offish kind of guy; clearly he speaks his mind...and then some - he is quite a talker.

I've been out there enough to know there are two of players basically. Those that can talk up the fans, amateur playing partners and sponsors and those that can't. Therefore you usually see two types of player's outfits. Those with sponsor patches and embroidery all over them and those with Titleist, Callaway and Taylor Made all over them. There no disguising why a guy who's been on tour for 10 years still only sports Titleist logos and nothing else all over him. No sponsors want him. They all know how he is. It's an extremely small world within the ropes of the PGA and Korn Ferry Tour. All CEOs, TV announcers, sponsors, caddies, coaches and players talk.

Maybe you missed my point.....YOU are a big deal so of course you are always treated well. The slub for whom a pro-am is a once in a lifetime (anniversary/retirement gift etc.) thing may not get all love you get cause he doesnt get any "...points for style, like the firm handshake, that certain look in his eyes and an easy smile".

I suspect your expereicnce with the VAST amount of pros is very different than "Joe from MIlwaukee's"......if you are a "1%er", (and yes they know who you are) you often get an entirely different experience than others. Not mad at you, but it's a bit unfair to suggest that jus because YOU get a great expereince everybody else does.

I played in a PGA pro-am a few years ago with Nick Hardy (University of Illinois standout and currently on the KornFerry). He couldn't have a been a nicer guy. Approachable, encouraging, funny, polite; just everything you'd want in a playing partner. So happy to see him doing well on the Great Abaco Classic at Baha Mar.

Well, I happen to disagree. I’m far from a 1%er...far. I think that most of the guys/ladies on Tour are easy to get along with for 4 hours of golf. Of course there are going to be a few that aren’t, and that’s unfortunate. If 99/100 experiences are great, I’d say the Tour is doing a good job. Remember, not everyone is an entertainer...there are some guys that are jackasses that happen to be good at golf. Life goes on.

• Like 1

I am so disillusioned. I was fortunate enough to play in several LPGA pro-ams in the early 2000s (never played a PGA pro-am) & got to play with Karrie Webb, Catriona Matthew (twice), Laura Diaz & Hee-Won Han. They were all extremely gracious & fun to play with. Now I know they were all faking it. I has a sad...

….jk jk. half of you would roast me for calling Robby a nobody and myself somebody.  Someone here looked him up and said well he made half a mil this year, he aint a nobody, well, placing in 2 'off/early' season weak field events aint jack.  Until Mr. Shy Guy is a household name, he's nobody on tour. 99% of people who call themselves golf fans don't know jack about him and couldn't ID him without google.

I played in a Champion’s Tour pro-am once and got paired with a multiple Tour win and former Ryder Cup player. He rarely spoke to any of us, although there was prize money they were playing for on Tuesday so he was focused. The three of us with him were decent players. This pro did not strike the ball that well that day but he chipped in twice, holed one from a bunker and shot 68. I figured out that he hit 6 fairways and 7 greens. He had an incredible short game. At the end of the round I said “nice playing; you are the up and down king”. He looks at me and says “what, you don’t think I’m a good shot maker?”. He glared at me and was obviously insulted. He then didn’t show up for the pro-am dinner while all the other teams had their pro at their table. Ruined the whole experience. What a total a-hole.

Honestly I wouldn’t have said that..you might have got away with ‘great short game’ but even then it strongly implies the rest of it wasn’t up to much.

Good golfers rarely mind if you aren’t complementary on the short shots, but woe betide you if you aren’t impressed with their ball striking. Better to keep quiet.

*im also guilty of this, had a 14 handicap tell me he thought my swing was a bit off..when I’d actually hit it fine anyway..

Lol. What are the odds ? We finally agree and it’s on this. High five ?! Absolutely! Damn extroverts. Always breathing up all the introvert air !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

After reading these posts, I am starting to feel bad for the pro's in these pro am's .

The people they meet, and the play ( if you can call it that ) they have seen.

Expose yourself to that , week after week, Yeah, thats something to look forward to

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I have played in three Pro-Ams; one Tour, one Champions Tour, and one LPGA. All three were great experiences, and the pros were very, well, professional. Laughing and joking, and yes , my LPGA pro did have a little language barrier, but we overcame it. Played with Peter Jacobson, had to tell him to shut up, so I could stop laughing long enough to hit the ball. Maybe OP did get a deek for a partner, or maybe expectations were too high.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

Lol. yea ....I loathe crowds and putting up with people.

Im perfectly content being alone all day at work. I can talk to myself in peace.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock