2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titty 905T vs. Ignite 460 vs. SQ 460

OGarma

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to go with the Ignite base on the value. I currently play the SQ Tour and an SQ Max but I do not feel like either is much of an improvement if any over the Ignite. My Ignite is still the club I truely love while I experiment with the SQ's.

Oh, the Titleist 905T is a nice club but not in the same ball park to me just based on playability.

depends on you. my personal experiences with said drivers are as follows:

ignite 460 (aldila nv-65 and stock fuji shaft) - i had troubles turning the club head over and had many misses right. many have said the 460 are "anti left" drivers. i tried this looking for added forgivness over my ignite 410. for me, it was no improvement over my 410 and the experiment was short lived.

905T (speeder) - straight or draw with this club. only extreme bad swings would fade - very anti right driver. trajectory was good, but even with the speeder shaft i fought ballooning the ball. prefered the 905S.

Sasquatch 460 (stock fuji, aldila nv-75, acculaunch 70, ust v2) - after some searching for a shaft this club has been perfect. its a low spinnin head, so i needed a shaft to give me more trajectory and spin. easiest 460 driver i have used to turn over, but not so easy i have a problem with the lefts.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I love Titleist. I just got 905T with Grafalloy Blue from blue from Ebay for $140. I had 983K and 975D prior to this and had to say that 905T is much beter feel and sound at impact. I tried 905R, SQ, and FT-3 the other day at driving range. 905R looks and feel really good. I don't like the sound and feeling of SQ. No comment on FT-3. I think I will play 905T for couple year and wait for the price of 905R to come down and might wait for titleist to come up with new technology in the next couple of years.

I have played the Ignite 460 and 905T which I still play. I like both drivers very much and shouldn't have gotten rid of the Ignite but, I'm always trying different clubs. I had the Fuji Tour platform 26.3 in the Ignite and a GD YS-6+ in the 905T in regular flex and both were long and straight for me. I found both to be forgiving and was surprised at how much the 905T is. The Ignite hit the ball on a mid to high trajectory and seemed to carry more than the 905T which for me has a boring mid high trajectory and rolls out more. I've read where some people complain about the 905T balloning but, I certainly haven't had that problem. It may be because my SS is about 95, I have a moderate swing speed and the shaft length is 44". :). The price is right on the Ignite and 905T that's for sure. I would try them all and see which one fits you best.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher Turbo 10.5* Miyazaki 5R
Hybrid - Cleveland Halo #2 16* Miyazaki 6R
Irons - Cleveland CBX 4-PW Miyazaki 6R
Wedges - Cleveland CBX 50* & 54* Rotex
Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Ball - Srixon Z-Star

I have owned all three (905T w/ Ys6 and Zcom; Ignite w/ Blue; and SQ 460 MAX and Tour w/ REAX TP, Diamana Blue, Diamana Red, and PL Blue).

The 905T felt great, but had too much spin and not enough distance for me. Also, if you are used to playing a 460 cc head, the 905T can be demanding until you get used to it. Great feel, great sound, and decent control, but distance was WELL short of the nikes. I might add that the bore through design makes fitting very difficult and expensive for me.

The Ignite was loud and long. Great combo with the blue. I hit some very long drives with this. Like others, I had trouble turning it over, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The titleist felt and sounded better, but the nike was a better perfromer for me.

Nike SQ Tour played very similar to the titleist. I was put off by the amount of spin, and, IMO, the feel and sound were not what I had hoped for. I was really expecting a 460cc version of the Tour Ignite 410, and was disappointed that the feel and perfromance were not even close for me. I really wanted this club to work, and even purchased 3 different models, but it got gobbled up in the wind, felt mediocre at best, and did not offer the type of directional forgiveness and consistency that I expected.

Nike SQ Max w/ Diamana Red is, hands down, the winner. Not sure why this club gets such a bad rap from some. With the redboard, this club GOES. It is a low spin head, so the red board makes it a little easier to elevate, and feels like butter. The sound of this driver is far better to my ears than the SQ Tour and Ignite, and is similar, if not slightly louder, than the titleist (FYI, a driver should sound "thwokish" and not "tinkish" to my ears, the SQ MAX and 905T are thwokish). Distance on this club is consistently long, but it is also ridiculously straight on even egregious mishits. I have hit my longest drives with this club, and the sound at impact is exactly what I want.

Having said all of this, the nike SQ MAX had the advantage of being properly fit for me. I went and got fitted on a launch monitor and discovered that the shafts (stiff flex) of the other drivers were too weak (I needed an x-stiff). I also learned that I was playing too much loft (9.5-10.5), and that I needed an 8.5* driver. I am sure that these factors played heavily into the performance of the club for me. However, I still maintain that, all things being equal, I would choose the SQ MAX for its feel, sound, and forgiveness. IMO, it truly shines in these areas.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.