Famous People you ran into during a round of Golf...

Comments

• RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4031WRX Points: 729Posts: 4,031 Titanium Tees

Lewis Black
    Richard Kind
    The Gatlin Bros.
    Mark Chmura
    Thurman Thomas
    Shane Conlan
    Jim Boeheim
    Mario Lemieux
    Moose Johnston
    Rocco Canale

That’s all I can remember right now.

RH

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11741WRX Points: 1,543Posts: 11,741 Titanium Tees

I've never ran into anyone remotely famous at any golf course. There was one afternoon I showed up to play shortly after "Fluff" Cowen had been there earlier in the day and I think some NFL player was once in a foursome on the other side of the course from mine.

Other than that, I did see the then-CEO of the organization I work for warming up at the practice green at my old club. I had been in a couple (large) meetings with him years earlier and darned if he didn't call me by name and shake hands. That knack has always amazed me, apparently the dude remembered the faces and names of the hundreds or thousands of people he'd ever sat across a conference room table from for a couple hours.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • FrankHallFrankHall Members  22WRX Points: 32Posts: 22 Bunkers

My brother and I arrived at the course once and Terry Kiser (Bernie from 'Weekend at...') was sitting in a golf cart, little round dark glasses...not moving. It was spooky.

I did meet a bunch of famous guys at Bayou Din back around 1969, but it was a celebrity golf tourney: Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Lem Barney, Alex Karras, Mike Lucci, Lee Roy Jordan, etc. I was a kid and these guys treated me great, especially Karras and Jordan.

Posted:
  • EllaLemondEllaLemond Members  6WRX Points: 3Posts: 6 Bunkers

I've never ran into anyone remotely famous at any golf course.

Posted:
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  293WRX Points: 130Handicap: 14Posts: 293 Greens

Mr woods himself.

Posted:
  • mlecs03mlecs03 Members  79WRX Points: 85Posts: 79 Fairways

Scottie Pippen and Ray Allen

Posted:

Advertisement
  • nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint LouisMembers  286WRX Points: 64Handicap: 12Posts: 286 Greens

Was playing in an outing in St. Louis that had 'older' pro-athletes from STL.

Anywho I am on the range and I see Ozzie Smith walk up behind me. I am about to finish up so I say to him 'if you wait a minute you can have my spot'. I proceed to pipe a drive, the tee flies backwards. Ozzie catches it, jokes 'your tee hit me in the eye' then shakes my hand and introduces himself. His buddy thought I was like a pro after seeing the drive, lucky for me he didnt see the 20 shots beforehand.

Posted:
  • pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX  169WRX Points: 147Posts: 169 ClubWRX

Recently, I played with Stacy Keach who played Mike Hammer back in the day and more recently (sort of) Cameron Alexander in American History X. He was with an actor as well but I forgot the name. A very nice man that was complementary on good shots and was annoyed by bad ones. I hope I run into them again.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M6 10.5º ATMOS Black 7 Stiff Flex
    Fairway: TaylorMade M6 3 Wood ATMOS Black 7 Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 3H ATMOS 7 Orange Stiff Flex
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 52º, 56º, 60º Stock Shaft
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6070WRX Points: 1,284Handicap: mePosts: 6,070 Titanium Tees

I loved the Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer show! Watched Stacy Keach back in the Eighties, though I think they ever showed the pilots in the UK.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • capkingcapking CanadaMembers  648WRX Points: 109Posts: 648 Golden Tee
    Posted:
  • capkingcapking CanadaMembers  648WRX Points: 109Posts: 648 Golden Tee

Did you get to witness the infamous hot dog cup picture on the green?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • live_under_parmesanlive_under_parmesan Members  4WRX Points: 11Posts: 4 Starters

Roger Waters 🎸

Posted:
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Roseburg, ORMembers  1541WRX Points: 323Handicap: 3Posts: 1,541 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • stevopagolfstevopagolf Members  1523WRX Points: 144Posts: 1,523 Platinum Tees

Played with Jon Runyan and Merrill Reese of Eagles fame. Ran into Michael Vick, my dog shunned me for hours afterward, somehow he knew.....

ChiChi Rodriguez in Puerto Rico. Pudge Rodriguez.

Posted:
  • OldCussOldCuss South CarolinaMembers  53WRX Points: 93Handicap: Which One?Posts: 53 Bunkers

Aunt Catfish, restaurant at Daytona Beach, used to offer an all-you-can-eat catfish option. My cousin, Greg, is famous for the number of catfish he can eat. Never seen him eat on the golf course, however, but he is an excellent golfer.

Posted:

Norm OldCuss Bryan

• bvanlieubvanlieu Members  151WRX Points: 57Posts: 151 Fairways

Bill Murray, circa 1989. He had a place up on the Palisades in Rockland County somewhere.

My High School team's home course was Rockland CC and he showed up as Bill tends to do.

He duffed his tee shot and in his perfect Bill timing turned around to the team watching him from the putting great:

"I knew you were watching me!"

Unfortunately I knew him more for Ghostbusters and other films at the time then our good friend Carl the greenskeeper and I couldn't quip "Big hitter that Dali Lama" or similar.

We love the Bill.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChomperChomper ClubWRX  1099WRX Points: 102Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees

Recently, Larry the Cable Guy, at a recent inter club match.

Miguel Montero

Brian Doyle Murray

Brock Ostweiler (OK, not that famous)

Posted:
  • 7044570445 Members  179WRX Points: 39Handicap: 9Posts: 179 Fairways

Played two holes with John Daly a few years back, at his course in Arkansas, called murder Rock. The course is not operational anymore (I think). That was before he had his health problems. Nice friendly guy, he did like to smoke cigs however. Crazy long !

Posted:
  • NixLix26NixLix26 Members  462WRX Points: 176Handicap: 4Posts: 462 Greens

I remember playing behind an older fellow who was dressed like a canary. Turned out it was Doug Sanders

Posted:
    M4
    Titleist 906F2 -15*
    Apex MB raw -  4-P
    MD3 -52*,60*
    SC Newport The Art of Putting

[/size]

https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/
  • InZeroGravityInZeroGravity Members  16WRX Points: 17Posts: 16 Bunkers

Current and former pro hockey players are not unusual around here, on or off the course. I usually just give them their space, maybe a quick nod at most. They don't need me bothering them.

Posted:
  • monty09monty09 Members  312WRX Points: 98Posts: 312 Greens

Step Curry - Golf Club of HOuston

Bo Jackson- Golf Club of HOuston

Junior - Olympic

Big Ben - Pebble

Royce Clayton - Pinehurst #2

Zach Greinke - Oakmont

Posted:

Advertisement
  • llamontllamont Members  1912WRX Points: 162Posts: 1,912 Platinum Tees

Years ago I met Dwight Hicks (retired from the NFL) walking 9 holes after work at Eaton Canyon GC in Pasadena, CA.

Posted:
    I love golf
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20932WRX Points: 4,896Posts: 20,932 ClubWRX

Dr. Tom Davis before a round at Finkbine and because of pace of play at various tee boxes.

After our respective rounds he bought beverages for my daughter and me up in the now (sadly) closed and torn down (or about to be) Hawk's Nest.

Just an incredibly nice and genuine person.

Posted:
  • Ssull5Ssull5 Members  5WRX Points: 15Posts: 5 Bunkers

Ray Allen

Posted:
  • chrismikaylachrismikayla Members  1055WRX Points: 105Handicap: 3.6Posts: 1,055 Platinum Tees

Warrick Dunn shortly after he retired.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10.0
    Taylormade M2 15.0
    Ping G25 4H
    Mixuno JPX 850 Forged 4- PW
    Cleveland Classic 4.5 Putter
    Ping Glide 52, 56

• Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members  1698WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,698 Platinum Tees

No one as I can't afford to golf on course where a celebrity might play, Only courses anywhere as nice as what a celebrity might play is over 70 miles away. I usually stay close to home.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • shinobishinobi Members  41WRX Points: 26Posts: 41 Bunkers

The most recent was Kevin Dillon (Johnny Drama from Entourage).

The LA Clippers frequent a local public course here in LA so saw Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan a few times.

My other buddy who plays at Sherwood always sees Will Smith and Wayne Gretzky.

Posted:
  • EdslandEdsland Members  40WRX Points: 50Posts: 40 Bunkers

Michael Jordan played through my group when my son was around 10.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.