Hunt's WITB, Update 1-13-21! Starting off 2021 w/NEW Irons, Wedges and Putter (soon) ALL on Page 5!

Putter looks great, Kyle is the man (bastain milled).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

One more question:

What were circumstances of change from Wishon 919THI driver to the Callaway?

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

The Honma's are 'player's distance irons.' What I've found with the player's distance design is that you have to have the lofts super low with the 8-PW or the gapping will be way off as the ball won't fly far enough. With my P790's, I was hitting my Srixon Z945 blades in the 8-PW further than the P790's. The ball just launches too high in the player's distance irons. With the Honma's the 8-PW is more in line with what they should be and therefore there is not a huge gap between the PW and the 52* wedge.

I got away from the Wishon 919THI. They created a newer model that has a longer neck. It's a good concept as they want to create a longer neck so fitters can bend the lie angle flatter. But, it doesn't feel right since the move to the longer neck and my older model 919THI with the short neck cracked on the face.

I first tried the M1 and hit that further. Then I went to the Callaway Rogue SZ as I hit that the furthest. Problem with the Callaways is that their CoG is closer to the heel and I'm a low, toe-side miss with the driver. So it was easy for me to snap hook one. Lost all of my confidence. But when I caught the Callaway Rogue SZ on the center...it went a long ways. I then switched to a G400Max and loved it. It's now my backup as I game a G410 with a Ventus Blue shaft.

RH

• Like 1

great, thank you.

I have Wishon 919THI with both short and long hosels.

The bending for lie angle as we as face angle (corresponding change to loft) is nice, but might change the feel.

I haven't been able to detect that difference in feel myself, but know that you and some others have mentioned it.

TM TP5x

Its awesome that you're a member at Orange Tree that was one of my absolute favorite courses when i lived in Orlando, it'll eat you alive in the winter when the wind kicks up and the ground gets firm!

Srixon ZX5LS MkII 9.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X (Testing TR Black 7-X)

Taylormade  Stealth 3HL 16.5 Tour AD DI 9x

Taylormade Stealth 7/21  Project X Tour Issue 10A2 7.0 or Srixon ZX Utility 2/18 Nippon Modus GOST 115TX

Srixon ZX7 MK II 4-9 Nippon Modus 130X

Cleveland RTX 6 48/8 52/8 RTX FullFace2 56/10 60/8

Taylormade Spider X (Navy) 38" Superstroke 3.0 17"

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Rich, do you plan to get the new stability Tour version into your putter? It's 110g vs the 120g+of the OG version and it allegedly plays "softer" while not reducing torque or stiffness. I'm highly considering getting a Directed Force putter with this new shaft put in...setting up a fitting for later this month. If I don't bag the DF then I'm probably heading to Evnroll myself. I love the feel of my Betti but it's just the absolute bare bones and on days where my putting is off, I'm reeeally bad with it.

Agreed! i've played about 8 rounds there and the 68 i shot there in February I was more proud of than my career low 63 at Celebration, that closing stretch us BRUTAL in the wind

Srixon ZX5LS MkII 9.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X (Testing TR Black 7-X)

Taylormade  Stealth 3HL 16.5 Tour AD DI 9x

Taylormade Stealth 7/21  Project X Tour Issue 10A2 7.0 or Srixon ZX Utility 2/18 Nippon Modus GOST 115TX

Srixon ZX7 MK II 4-9 Nippon Modus 130X

Cleveland RTX 6 48/8 52/8 RTX FullFace2 56/10 60/8

Taylormade Spider X (Navy) 38" Superstroke 3.0 17"

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

No. I don't think the Stability shaft works that well with blade putters. I think it ruined my putting stroke. I think it's mean for the bigger, high MOI putters.

I went back to my stepped shaft. My putting has a long ways to go, but recently I started putting much better. Stability shaft was too heavy in the hands for me.

RH

First time I played at Orange Tree I shot 68 from the tips one freshly aerified greens. I didn't think the course was all that difficult. Boy, did that change quickly.

It's a really interesting design because I could shoot 66 or 86 out there on any given day. More often than not it beats me down, but the possibility of going low keeps me coming back. Or I'll start out 4-over thru 5 and then birdie 14-17 and shoot even par. Holes I play terrible for stretches, then I play them great for stretches.

It's probably taught me more about the mental side of golf than all of the courses I've played, combined.

RH

• Like 1

I grip the putter more in the fingers and thus I utilize more feel with my putting stroke. I found that it started to force me to use too much right hand at first to get the blade to rotate. When that was becoming a disaster, I started to then flex my left wrist too much in the backstroke and that closed the blade and then I would undertwist it open.

Disaster.

RH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a 'new' putter I added to my bag. The TP Mills Ming from the Anvil Series. It's a stainless steel head with very light face milling. Can't use a stepped shaft here because it's a flare tip shaft that is required. I put a Lamkin deep etches cord putter grip on.

IE6HGFBNIVYA.jpeg

G7QEAXM5SKHX.jpeg

GV3K1M4Q5UZM.jpeg

6T6RTPWLTSU2.jpeg

RH

Very nice new putter there, Richie?Glad to see a return on your part to less technical and more feel-based approach on the greens.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

As usual I had to tune in to see what you had gotten next. As usual very interesting. Got to agree with my old pal Mitchell there on getting back to basics on feel and instinct

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 3 weeks later...

Yep it is always interesting reading when Richie posts---- He knows golf and equipment and his game pretty well---- When he posts I always look to see what he has gotten next

That is what intrigues me about his bag. I shy away from a strong 3 or a lob 60+ because they seem 1 dimensional to me. I wonder why hit 3 wood off the tee or even carry it since it is so rarely used. There are also so many that recommend 12 yard gaps between all irons and then they don’t have a full swing wedge that carries less that 100. PGS has me thinking. I only ask for selfish reasons because I wonder if I put a 62 in and consolidate a 3/5 wood with a 4 or just keep a lot of options for the longer shots (aggressive on par 5s).

Depends on the course. If I had to choose, I would rather gap my long irons and 3-wood. More important shots come from that distance than with the wedges. But at my home club there's just very few times that I need a 2 and 3-hybrid and there are a ton of wedge shots, particularly around the greens were roughly half of them are elevated...making scrambling opportunities more difficult.

As far as the 52 goes, I wanted something that could handle like a wedge around the green and still get 120 yards of carry distance. I think with a 50 degree it only gaps slightly better (probably about 126 yards carry), but is probably not very useful around the green, particularly on long bunker shots.

RH

I carry a 3+ because it's good off the tee and I hit the ball high anyway so getting a 3+ off the fairway isn't a problem.

I've considered a 58*, particularly recently as my scrambling game has been awful. I need to practice it more. But for me, the 60* is pretty versatile as I'm more likely to use it around the green compared to the other wedges, particularly from the bunker. I would say for every 1 bunker shot with a 56* or 52*, I hit 5 shots from the bunker with the 60*. I also used it on pitch shots from inside 25 yards quite often.

I don't like using it on full swings. I feel more comfortable powering down a 56* or 52* and making it stop quickly.

RH

Richie -- You know previously we were talking about simplifying your game on the putting end. Well for me I did it in the wedge department. When I grew up playing this game all we had was a standard PW of from 48* to 50* and a SW usually around 55* 56*. Now for years my set up has been 48 , 56, 60. And for a while I did carry a 52*. But always as far back as I can remember the 56* was my workhorse wedge. I have found myself in the last year or so making bad choices or getting confused as to like do I hit the 60 here or open up the 56. Since I play by instinct anyhow I opted to drop the 60 and once again make the 56 my workhorse. Less confusion and decisions for me. Also around the greens I hit a lot of pitch and runs with the 48* PW and do the bump and run thing with an 8 iron. Anytime I can get the putter on the ball around the green I am doing that. I guess in modern terms I "Went back to my roots".

My top end is a little odd always has been--- Back in the day I carried and could hit the 1 iron and 3 iron and carried a 3 wood. On top of all of that I carried a little Northwestern 6 wood of 22*. Now at 63 years of age I can still hit the 1 iron and 3 irons but not as effectively. And a 13* 14* 3 wood forget it now I do not have the Swing Speed. Now I carry a 16* which I call a 4 wood with a 20* hybrid and 23* hybrid. On the 20* hybrid i have been experimenting a lot. It is an old old Adams Boxer that is offset. Normally I do not like the offset but I have found this club very versatile for me. I can play it off my back foot some and hit some really howling stingers or play it up some with the face open and hit my stock shot a soft high cut. Now I will admit I have always thought outside the box and what I do will not work for anyone.

I posted this basically to give wesr some food for thought and maybe get your input or comment

I originally did not carry a 52* for the longest time. In my junior and college golfing days I was usually a PW and a 56* and a 60*. The lofts of PW's were usually 48-50* anyway. Oddly enough, I usually struggled the most with a 9-iron and PW in my hand. But I was able to beat the competition with pretty good driving, really good iron play, excellent short game around the green play and being an average putter.

I grew up on a course that feature small greens, so in order to score there you had to hit irons close and be able to get up-and-down.

My short game around the green had always been a strength. Oddly enough, by the time I got to college I almost never practiced it and it got even better. As a junior, I used to practice flop shots until dark and I could flop it with the best of them, even with a 56* wedge. Then the Cleveland Classic 588 60* came out and it was a total game changer. Probably one of the top-5 most iconic clubs in my lifetime.

As I started to look at the analytics of the game more closely, I noticed that it was better to be more properly gapped from about your 3-wood to your long irons. Some of the Tour pros are so good they can get away with not properly gapping them, but most amateurs (and even most Tour pros) really give up a lot of shots when they are not properly gapped with their long clubs. If you need a 210 yard club and you don't have that in your bag, that's when a hole you should probably par can turn into a double or triple bogey. Try to power down on a longer club, hook it long and left and end up in trouble...dub a pitch shot and now you're just happy to make bogey. And nobody just takes less club knowing they won't reach the green. Our ego won't allow it.

But the problem I ran into was trying to power down on a PW on say a 105-120 yard shot. Tough shot to control and I feel like I got a lot of those. And with my short game around the green skills, I believe that I can adjust between a 52* and a 60* shot right around the green far better than I can say hit a PW only 115 yards. And it wasn't even a distance control issue on a PW from 115 yards, often times it would be a directional issue. Power down too much, stall your pivot and hook one well left of the green. Get out of rhythm and block one right of the green.

I also started to see that Ernie Els and Sang Moon Bae, both of whom had great short games and were great bunker players, only carried a 52* and a 60*. So I started to think that I was better off going 52* and 60* than a 54/60 or a 56/60 combination. I only added the 56* when I became an member at Orange Tree and the course called for it.

I've really lost my ability to hit flop shots. But flop shots are not a big thing these days on Tour. Guys rarely hit them when they can simply use the bounce and hit a lower shot that can get 11,000+ rpm of spin and stop on a dime.

But my short game around the green got really bad the past year by my standards. Recently though, I think I figured it out. I just went back to my old technique and figured out what the issue was (I was straightening out my left knee to early in the downswing). What had happened was my old technique was off and instead of working to fix the old technique, I started to think that they I needed to use more newfound techniques and I wasn't very educated on those new techniques nor did I have the time to practice them and that's when things got really bad. Instead, I just went back to my old technique, worked to figure out the issue and just had my 2nd round in a row of great performance around the green.

I think with those that used to hit 1-irons like they were nothing, they probably need to consider that the lofts were different for 1-irons back then and the ball was very different. Those balatas used to spin like crazy. I had a Ping Eye 2 1-iron that was very good to me. But the best driving iron I ever had was a TaylorMade ICW5 2-iron. I used to murder that thing. Probably one of the biggest mistakes I ever made was getting rid of that club (and that set for that matter). Martin Chuck said he used to have that same 2-iron and he used to kill it as well.

I really wanted to like the GAPR, but the issue with those clubs is that they make them too upright and you can't bend the GAPR. After a while I just gave up on driving irons altogether and went back to the hybrid. I used to really hit the Mizuno CLK hybrids well. I still like the Titleist's, but they are hooky. I may go to a Ping G410 sometime.

RH

Yep you know for me when things start going wrong I finally think and go back to my basics. At one time I was carrying 48 52 56 and 60 wedges and I found for me it complicated things. I had been contemplating pulling the 60 out for some time because I hardly use one. I finally did back in December and it has really simplified things for me. And besides I am and always have been a feel and instinct player. Like I said when I grew up learning the game all we had were a PW and SW.

Now as far as a 1 Iron I still mess around with one when I play my vintage rounds and with the combination of the new balls and my slower swing speed I do not get it as high as I used to or with as much umpah. I might have told you about this but I found the ugliest Adams Hybrid I have ever seen which is an old Boxer 20* offset with a Matrix Ozik shaft. I have practiced this club quite a bit and can play it off my front foot with the face open and hit the prettiest little high 200 yard cut with it. Play it back in my stance some with the face neutral and I can hit one bad Quail high stinger with it. I was scared to death of hooking the mess out of it at first because of the offset but for some reason with this club it has not affected me yet. Even though I was a Navy man I practice one Marine Corps saying " Improvise adapt and overcome".

• RichieHunt changed the title to Hunt's WITB, Update 1-13-21! Starting off 2021 w/NEW Irons, Wedges and Putter (soon) ALL on Page 5!

The brief listing.  New Clubs are in CAPS and in bold.

Driver - Ping G410+, 9* loft, 45-1/16" Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft

3-wood- Ping G410LS, 13.5* loft, 43-1/4" Fujikura Ventus Blue 8x shaft

2-HYBRID - PING G410, 17* LOFT, 40-7/8" Fujikura Atmos Blue HB 8x shaft

4-IRON THRU PW - NEW LEVEL GOLF 902 FORGED w/KBS $ Taper S+ shafts

GW - TAYLORMADE 2018 MILLED GRIND HB, 52* LOFT, 13* BOUNCE, Fujikura MCI Wedge 125 shaft

SW - TAYLORMADE 2018 MILLED GRIND HB, 56* LOFT, 12* BOUNCE, Fujikura MCI Wedge 125 shaft

LW - EDEL GOLF DIGGER GRIND, 60* LOFT, 22* BOUNCE, TRUE TEMPER DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S440 SHAFT

The pics

Bag.jpg.133fa6f52c8b6bb6c4145ea9ece9ae44.jpg

Clubs.jpg.0a87b88328b8ba1c60a40be373b46a15.jpg564205285_902forged.jpg.0b96e79d59146f6175300712d68b5eba.jpg

SW.jpg.2edd6c924d13aff008027565a9ec2ca2.jpg

2092317672_LobWedge.jpg.6bda51ce44a688e7943d1e047e7b01c8.jpg

• Like 1

Here's some of the detailed specs.  I have not put the loft and lie angles on there.  I've only been hitting the clubs for a couple of days and I have been working on some changes in my swing.  Once I feel pretty good I'll get out the impact tape and adjust lies and lofts accordingly. 

I get to a rundown of what I'm thinking tomorrow.....err... I mean later today as it's pretty late.   Putter should be coming next week or so.

278739420_NewClubSpecs1_13_21.PNG.b7d983cc81d6c58111d927ab41d51b2f.PNG

RH

• Like 2

I added the Ping G410 2-hybrid back in November. It's arguably the greatest hybrid I've ever hit along with the original Mizuno Fli-Hi CLK hybrid.  The big thing is that it's the best hybrid in terms of not hooking it.  Which is so important when playing at Orange Tree because you can't miss left on that course and in particular holes like #3, #5 and #14.  I just took my old Atmos Blue hybrid shaft from my Titleist hybrid and put it on here.  It's night and day difference.

The MOI is a little low, but it was working well for the most part so I didn't want to mess with it.  But in the end I will probably tinker with it just a smidge.

A few years ago I tried the JumboMax wrap grips and hated them.  I tried it on my Yonex EZone MB 3-iron and everything went high and right.  And they also felt and looked cheaply built.  But then I saw a this video from GEARS Golf:

I will say that my most recent statistical research leads me to believe that rate of closure can play a role in level of iron play.  I think slower rates of closure helps with the shot dispersion because with irons I think it's easier to leave the blade open and hit the open face flare that ends up well short of the target.

I also watched some other videos reviewing the JumboMax grips and the biggest complaint was the high and right miss.  But each of these videos the shot dispersion would be much smaller with the JumboMax grip and I just thought to myself 'if they could figure out how to steer that shot dispersion more towards the target they would really be onto something.'

So I tried out the JMX UltraLight.  I also looked at their fitting chart...I'm supposed to either use a Medium or Large size in JumboMax even though I were an XL glove.  With the wrap grip, I ordered an XL and that may have been my problem (I still didn't like the feel of the wrap grip though).

I bought the Large and Medium and tried the large on my driver and instantly had zero issues with it.  In fact it made it much more difficult to hit hooks, but the rightward misses were just not there.

So I decided to install them throughout the bag.  I took the medium and put it on my LW since that's the club I primarily hit my flop shots with and didn't feel comfortable hitting flops with that large of a grip.

I will say that these grips cause the ball to launch higher.  But that can be tweaked by altering the lofts and/or the ball.

And I don't think these grips are for everybody.  For starters, the strikes with the irons don't feel as pure.  Secondly, it's a weird sensation in the swing as to how much the grips relax the forearms and wrists.  It can feel like you're barely putting forth any effort in the swing.  For me, I've grown to appreciate it because I'm not putting so much force on the grip so soon in the swing.  But for others I can see where the entire feel just throws them off too much for their liking.

I don't know if they help with speed.  Recently I got a lesson and was clocked at 112 mph/168 mph.  That's the fastest I've been in a long, long time.  However, I think that was due more to some much needed alterations in my golf swing.

RH