How soon before Spieth drops out of the top 50

Comments

• Steele47Steele47 Members  1833WRX Points: 988Posts: 1,833 Platinum Tees

I think Jordan's biggest asset is the fact that he's a feisty dude. When he hit that tee shot at The Open off the map landing near the Titleist truck I thought he was done. Especially with what happened at 12 at Augusta (I forget what year that was). Anyway, I believe he'll rise and fall a few more times before its over. He's fun to watch when he's in contention.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9284WRX Points: 2,916Posts: 9,284 Titanium Tees

Which is far more important to actually doing well on tour.

Posted:

It already exists, it's called Every Shot Counts. You should read it, you might learn a thing or two

Posted:
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3551WRX Points: 1,600Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,551 Titanium Tees

Wow, quite the flip-flop between 2018-2019. Must be super frustrating feeling like you're playing whack-a-mole with your own game. That would certainly suggest that it IS in there though, he just needs to find it and/or get out of his own way.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

Clearly not so common since your assessment of his ball striking was completely wrong.

Posted:

Indeed. Just goes to show you need to do everything well if you want to (consistently) win on tour, but if your ball striking falls off you can go from superstar to journeyman over night

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:

keep on trolling, you won't be here much longer!

Posted:
  • Steele47Steele47 Members  1833WRX Points: 988Posts: 1,833 Platinum Tees

I'd say some smooth jazz is in order.

Posted:
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3551WRX Points: 1,600Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,551 Titanium Tees

Its these types of stats that separate the goods from the greats. The "goods" can win when all cylinders are firing relatively well, but the "greats" could still get it done even with chunks missing. Rory is a massive talent obviously, but take his elite driving down to average level and he seems to fade away. Same with Jordan, but take away his already average driving and the other elite elements seem to fade as well. It was like what Phil said (paraphrasing) "my iron game and putting can be elite, I just need the driver to be average and stop actively hurting me and I can win".

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12565WRX Points: 1,573Handicap: 3.2Posts: 12,565 Titanium Tees

Since you looked it up did you skip other definitions?

...pleased, especially with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation,

...contented to a fault with oneself or one's actions

“he had become complacent after years of success”

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,191Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees

No I didn’t. I don’t at all see a content guy out there. He’s almost unbearably frustrated in my eyes. A kind of banging ones head against a wall frustrated. I see zero contentment.

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,191Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees

All I see from your stats is that his putting is now as good as it ever was. Which points right back to a ball striking issue.

Maybe you need to watch some of the fields twilights last gleaming at the hero , Australian open or east lake highlights and tell me how he blew away fields on the “ lunatic fringe “.

Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12565WRX Points: 1,573Handicap: 3.2Posts: 12,565 Titanium Tees

Would you consider Strokes gained Tee to Green be a good barometer of ball striking?

4-25-2-22. Those were his ranks for the years 2015-2018.

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

See post #100

Being complacent does not mean that he does not care. But it could hinder his preparation. On the PGA tour the margins are razor thin. A stroke a round takes you from 10th to 80th in scoring average(2019). Did you ever read Harvey Penick’s Little Red Book? He relates a story of Tom Kite and the Texas golf team when Kite was the tours #1 money winner. The college boys played a round with Kite and asked why he was #1 and they were likely to never get there. They felt they could do everything in golf as well as Kite. From putting to driving they were just as good. Kite told them that in every round they would have a shot or two-at least-where they did not give full attention and the shot would not be as good as it should have been. That would cost the 2-5 strokes per round.

Not being fully “present” due to something .....be it injury, marriage, or just subconsciously content with what he has already achieved can cost him precious strokes per round.

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

Nope. Haven’t read the little red book.

I’m not sure that guessing at what someone has subconsciously thought or not thought will get us .

I could agree with you , IF he’s subconsciously content ....but the evidence and frustrated actions say otherwise. I’d call Phil subconsciously content. He seems to be enjoying his failures. Jordan may jump off a cliff he’s so unhappy looking. I just see it as opposites.

But I’m not at all trying to really argue to the death with you. If you see that , fair enough. I just can’t get there with what I see.

Posted:

Advertisement

You have an interesting definition of debate. You essentially make a bunch of purely anecdotal assertions, are confronted with tangible opposing data, lash back with petty insults and pop shots the minute there is any sort of rebuttal, edit your response multiple times, and then pat yourself on the back. So far you have yet to formulate a single cohesive argument (data backed or otherwise).

This is my last response to you because it's abundantly clear you are nothing more than an inflammatory troll and are simply here to listen to yourself talk.

Posted:
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers  1583WRX Points: 373Handicap: $$Posts: 1,583 Platinum Tees

People who have never failed or experienced significant set backs, often have a very hard time digging themselves out the whole when they finally do fall in one. I don't know his history in this way but if he's experienced nothing but success from junior golf all the way to now, it could play a factor. The later in life (golf life in this instance) that first set back comes, the harder it is to handle mentally. Sometimes the shock of playing poorly for an extended stretch is difficult to stomach for someone that's always performed well. You have to be fully committed to making physical changes in any sport. If you're caught in a spiral of second guessing everything, it's impossible to be as committed as necessary to the changes you're trying to make.

Posted:

Yep. Interesting point. I agree. That does make some sense.

Posted:
    Post edited by bladehunter on
  • RareSightRareSight Members  32WRX Points: 26Handicap: 2.4Posts: 32 Bunkers

You’re forgetting one key factor, and that’s the Player is the CEO of their team and ultimately fully responsible for all key decisions & actions made. 

When the Player (CEO) and their team have an end of year meeting about goals and objectives for the upcoming year (which we know Spieth & his team do), Spieth & his team would have identified increasing distance & accuracy as two of their key goals, Spieth would have asked & listened to his hired swing coach Cameron’s plan detailing the required swing changes to obtain their new goals, and with Spieth’s blessing (once all risks have been weighed), collectively they would undertake this plan with eyes wide open and full commitment from all parties.

If down the line this new swing change plan Spieth agreed to undertake didn’t work (for whatever reason), then again as a team they would re-evaluate the plan (ranging from tweaking it to discarding it altogether) and re-commit as a team to this new plan. It’s not a blame game, as Spieth would have agreed and signed off knowing all the risks involved.

That’s why Spieth hasn’t left Cameron as Spieth (being the team’s CEO) agreed to it all and he knows he is ultimately fully responsible for whatever the results good or bad.

Posted:
  • RareSightRareSight Members  32WRX Points: 26Handicap: 2.4Posts: 32 Bunkers

I didn't realise just how far his tee to green game has declined. Shows just how vital tee to green is to results.

Posted:

Advertisement

Yes. But no.

I agree thats how it works. Until it doesn’t.

at some point it goes on Cameron for having the flawed plan to get to the goal. Just like any corporate setting you describe. **** eventually rolls downhill.

The swing change is a very modern idea that is very flawed when looked at logically. He’s added a larger arc to his path. Common sense tells anyone that very few players are successful with that. And almost all of those were born swinging that way , and didn’t change to do it.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.