Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Sycamore? Wow, that's out there.

At least Blackstone is pretty close... Prairie View too. Elgin courses.

Never mind, you're in the middle of public golf heaven.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Merry Christmas to all the Chicagoland Golfers Extraordinaire!

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

yep job is now in Rochelle, and my significant other works in Elgin so a good middle point for us. HoE is the only one I’ve played, looking forward to getting out to all the courses next year. I am going to look into joining Kish too, as they have a really good rate for under 30, and the other options in town don’t look great. It’ll be nice to have a close option rather than always having to drive 30 min for decent golf.

Merry Christmas everyone!

A belated Merry Christmas to you all. I hope you all had (have) a wonderful time with your families.

Our Christmas parties worked out quite nicely this year in that we had no extended family obligations for Christmas Day, so the wife and kids and I got out for 3 holes at Sugar Creek in the afternoon. The weather was so nice that we certainly could have done all 9, but the kids were starting to wear out and lose focus. 3rd time in the past few years we've played on Christmas, this was by far the nicest.

Bear and I played Palmira this morning. After partially frozen rounds earlier in the week, it was weird playing a course that was swampy for all 18 holes. Palmira is way too generous with how often it allows carts out and today absolutely should have been CPO or walking only. Not the case. Huge sections of the course were really chewed up as a result. We got around in 3 hours but I didn’t make any birdies despite lots of very good looks. Hopefully I can get in another round this week. 76.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

And to think about the snow / cold we had on Halloween that caused some towns to change trick or treating.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

I shoulda snuck onto Sportsmans back nine yesterday - not like anyone would have cared, right?

maybe we can get out this Saturday as Glencoe is open.

glad you fellas are able to enjoy the break in the weather.

my backyard neighbor may find a few range balls that I connected with by mistake on purpose when the ham was in the oven on Xmas eve.

cleared the maple tree and his picnic table.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played course #1 at St. Andrews yesterday. Full tee sheet for both courses and the pro shop was turning down people calling to play. Conditions were well above what you'd expect for this time of year. THey actually were moving the rough and blowing the small amount of leaves to keep the fairways clear. No issues putting a tee in the ground, greens were soft and receptive, but as you can imagine, they were inconsistent. Was very concerned when they put a 5some in front of us but kudos to them for playing ready golf and not slowing us down for any shot the entire round.

Nothing like December golf, nearly 60 degrees and playing in shorts!

• Like 1

Played Makray yesterday. 140 golfers out there and a completely booked tee sheet.

Had a buddy out there earlier in the week and he said how everything was frozen and no restrictions on carts. They should have changed that yesterday as it had thawed out and conditions were very soft. Had a lot of plugged shots and a lot of tire tracks out there.

Was good to get out in December and looking forward to Palm Springs next week!

Orchard Valley today. This was my first trip to OV and I was really impressed with the back nine. The front nine was about as pedestrian as it gets though. I can see why pace of play is such an issue there, as the second and third holes require really accurate ball striking. We were the first group out and my ball striking was excellent so pace wasn’t an issue at all. The greens were heavily sanded, which I could have done without. I birdied 3, gave it right back on 4, and also made bogies on 9 and 18. I hit every fairway (granted they’re pretty generous there) and got in a nice rhythm. 74.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Back 9 of GDN yesterday. First time playing there in almost 2 years. They've actually done some work there. Decent condition overall except for the aprons which had fertilizer burn them off during an earlier hot spell. Might even go back and play there next season.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Happy New year, gang. It was great to see that many of you got in some late season rounds during the recent warm spell. Heck, for a few days you had warmer weather than here in Phoenix. I played my 126th round of the year yesterday, and I'm heading out shortly to play my first in 2020. 'Definitely digging the five days of week golf that retirement allows. I'm quite sure that I wouldn't want to live here full time, though.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Stone Creek is closing. I liked this course the few times I played it. I'm guessing we'll see more closures coming in the next few years. I'm still missing Plum Tree National. That was one of my favorites. https://www.news-gazette.com/business/stone-creek-to-close-at-month-s-end/article_49d9724a-30c7-11ea-aa57-875940bfde11.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I figured this would be a better place to post instead of making a separate post in the forum.

I am looking to possibly join a new club this year, I have been a member at Mistwood the last couple years and don’t have any major issues, but I am also considering Cog Hill. The price is very similar. I haven’t played Cog yet, but have read a lot of reviews. I did go to a western open when I was little with my grandfather, which is one of my favorite golf memories. I would love to have some more opinions before I make my mind up in a couple of weeks. Thanks guys!!

WITB TBD for ‘24

I don't know the specifics of either membership but if the prices were the same and the drive time was similar I know I would join Cog over Mistwood. Cog #4 is slightly better than Mistwood, though it pains me to say that since I have a hole in 1 on 14 at Mistwood, and then you have 3 other courses to play on other days. The Ravines at Cog would be the 3rd best after 4 and Mistwood, then the other 2, in my opinion, are just goat tracks that you can knock it around on and practice. That being said I would think you'd never have the problem of all 4 being closed. In my experience #4 is much less busy than Mistwood day to day, that is based off playing each last year about 5 times. Mistwood has much better facilities, if that is something that matters to you and I assume you get dome access as well? Having to choose between those 2 is a pretty decent problem to have!

The drive is a little farther to Cog then Mistwood, so that’s not a deal breaker to me. When you say facilities, do you mean the range? Or Clubhouse? Clubhouse isn’t as important to me as the range would be. There are a lot of days where I will just go to practice for 4 or 5 hours. Having multiple chipping/putting greens would be awesome. Mistwood range definitely looks smaller then Cogs so I like that I would be able get away from the groups of people and work on something. And the fact you said Dubs is not as busy as Mistwood is huge, because there was a decent amount of rounds that took way to long. The dome isn’t huge for me, honesty I’m not a fan of it. Thank you very much for the information!! Definitely a difficult, but good problem to have!!

WITB TBD for ‘24

I prefer Mistwoods practice area over Cogs, but Cog has a good one as well. I just don't think they keep it in as good of shape. But it is pretty huge and you can definitely get your space. I'd imagine you'd get more golf and overall use out of Cog. I think the biggest different between the 2 is Mistwood has an overall "nicer" feel, almost country club like, while Cog is kind of a really nice muni in a way - think Bethpage-ish. There are rumors that TPC may purchase Cog Hill which I think would be great.

I don't belong to either, but I think Mistwood is an incredible place, much more special (IMO) than Cog. I understand #4 is a storied course, but I'd go Mistwood over Cog. The facilities at Mistwood are top notch and the course is beautiful all the way through. Out of curiosity, what are the not major issues you have with Mistwood? What are you hoping to gain via Cog that you're not getting at Mistwood?

I was back in town for two days this week. Wow. I stepped out of the Blue Line station, and it was like a smack in the head. Cold, wet, and dreary. Arrived back in Phoenix early this afternoon, and was greeted by mostly sunny skies, and 70 degrees. Can't wait to get back on the links on Monday. I'll play my 50th round on my 50th course down here next week. Hang in there, gang. March will be here soon.

20200120_121734.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Heading back to prep my condo for sale. Hopefully I'll sell it by April, and hit the road.

the big things for me is that Cog has 4 courses, granted two of them aren’t the best it’s still a decent variety to choose from. A lot of times last year I would play 2 rounds a day and playing the same course twice gets old. And Mistwood doesn’t open til April and closes in November. Depending on the year, or even day with our weather, there is still decent days where you can play golf but since the course is closed, that isn’t an option. The guy I talked to at Cog said they will have atleast 1 and 3 courses open year round and depending on the weather, they’ll keep 2 and 4 open if it hasn’t been a harsh winter. A couple weeks ago when I talked to him he said they had just shut down 2 and 4. Mistwoods range gets a bit crowded pretty quick. I don’t know cogs range but when I was there it looks like there are more areas to hit from so you can spread out a bit more. The option for Mistwood in the winter is the dome. I am personally not a fan of the dome for a couple reasons. It’s often very loud which is fine for going and having some fun, but if you’re trying to concentrate on something with your swing, it’s hard. The bigger thing with the dome is even with a weekend membership through Mistwood, you still have to pay for dome use on the weekends. Granted it’s still a discounted rate, but I paid for the anytime membership at the course, but the dome they still charge you. Now I have nothing against Mistwood, and it is a great course and the staff is awesome. But the couple things I mentioned above has me wondering if it’s worth trying something new. I’m still 50/50 on the whole thing and may just wait til spring and check our Cog and Mistwood back to back over a weekend and really weigh out the options. But as another wrxer pointed out, this isn’t a bad problem to have!!!

WITB TBD for ‘24

... I don't think it is so cut and dried and depends on what you want. I would get bored playing the same course every day, so I would prefer Cog Hill. Unlike some here, I actually like course #1 when it is in decent shape. A great course to have some fun and go low and/or play with a higher index friend. My wife loves that course and we play it 5-6 times every summer, although Prairie Bluff is her favorite. #1 has a variety of different holes and you will use all the clubs in your bag. I never play #3 with 4 of the last 5 holes flat, straight and boring. But I really enjoy #2 since they put in the new #9 and #10 mostly because of the elevation changes and it is a walk that always has me tired after he round. Obviously #4 speaks for itself.

... That said, if I had to play 1 course over and over again, Mistwood would be on a very, very short list.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

No, I played Boulders years ago. I'm hitting the bottom half of the courses out here to limit my expenses. $150 to $300 a round five days a week adds up quickly. I'll be in Sun City today playing the South course. $42. Kokopelli, another run of the mill layout, will be the host of my 50th round on Wednesday,

Played this course about 4 times, always on my way back from Dayton OH for work. Last time I played it was in September and I played the back 9 with a pass holder who lived on the course. Sadly he said this was really the courses only option as the tax drain that the restaurant had placed on the course was too much.

Course was fun with a few really interesting holes. There’s a HUGE house that’s been under construction for a couple years now on the front 9, maybe close to the par 3 7th? I’d hate to be the one building that house in a development with a gem of a golf course that’s dormant.

It was the University home course but the men’s team had played only one meet there in the last 3 years according to this gentleman. Maybe the University will buy it?

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Just read that Joliet Country Club, renamed Joliet Golf Club last year, is going to be closed. The article said that the land will be used to build more warehouses. Article also said that the club has been around since 1904. That’s a shame that another course is being closed down, especially a course that’s been around that long.

WITB TBD for ‘24