Monthly Motivation: February!

January Thread here: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1807786/monthly-motivation-january-2020/p1

SPRING IS COMING.

Doesn't have the same ring to it, but boy it makes me happy. This thread is a place for us to motivate each other and hopefully build a positive place for golfers of all levels working to actually improve.

My goal remains to lower my handicap. My January was mostly a failure in terms of overall successes (limited practice, not as much gym time as wanted) but my positive takeaway is I can make time for golf, I just need to stay on top of it. My month ends with a work golf trip with my wife (for her work, I'm just arm candy)... so I want to bring a solid game to play with her clients (I have the schmoozing part down and play fast golf). One of my key takeaways from the last thread was improving my mental focus before and during my shots, even while being social during the rest of the round... I want to focus my attention before my shot, picture what I'm trying to do, hit the shot, and then move on. That's one of my focuses this month. That and exercise while I can't practice in the cold. Range should be warm enough tomorrow, but it's going to be a hit or miss month. Going to work on practicing my shot focus.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

What are you doing to practice your putting? I’ve been wanting to do this at home... but a mat? Just roll with the carpet I have? I guess something is better than nothing.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Ya so I bought the PuttOUT mat, and with it I am working building confidence on putts and speed, just trying to land the ball on the spot (much harder than you think) but from all my experience I’ve learned just seeing more putts go in helps on the course because you know you’ve made that putt a 100 times before!!

Got to play yesterday, sorry if that hurts to my northern friends . Actually shot to my HC at a course that doesn’t fit my eye. Tight with water very in play on 13 holes. Still working on my swing with my teacher. It’s showing but it’s hard mentally at times because it feels wrong but the results don’t lie

Goals this month are to play 4 rounds and have 2 under the current handicap to show improvement. Also need to work a bit on game management off the tee. I find myself better with a full 9 or 8 than tricky half or 3/4 wedge. Also my 5 or 3 will find more fairways.

Outside of golf still doing the compound lifts in the morning. Thinking about switching the steady state cardio to HIIT or tabata.

I have copied and pasted my January goals and changed the relevant things.

January Review: Purchased a SkyTrak and knowing my yardages accurately made a massive difference to my wedges and short irons. Unfortunately I got in the habit of trying to hit bombs and taught myself some bad habits. Lots of 30-100m practice was good, but nothing inside that. Also realized I need to do more to make practice match the course in regards to pre-shot routine etc.

Knowing yardages made shot commitment better, but I still get too score conscious.

As a side note, have started listening to the Chasing Scratch podcast...awesome stuff!Name: ToolishHandicap: 4Strengths: Used to be iron play, but even that has gone off.Weaknesses: Wedges and Driver & putter.Season Goal: Hit 0 handicap at some stage this year.Month Goal: Get distances dialed in. Work on swing fundamentals, grip and balance. Not concerned with distance, just accuracy and consistency. Get more comfortable over putts, chips and pitches. Improve fitness.Plan: I play once a week at most (year-round) and get to the range once a month if that. As such I have purchased a SkyTrak to practice at home. I have had a net set-up for ages but without feedback it is difficult to stay engaged. I have a tendency to tinker with my swing and look at video from each swing and change things, instead I am going to give myself 1 lesson a week, then spend the week focused on that before looking at video again.

Have a planned approach to practicing all areas of my game rather than being so focused on swing mechanics.

Weekly sessions:

1 hr per week on swing technique - grip, balance, hitting from the inside.

1 x SkyTrak Skills assessment of longer shots 100m, 110m, 120m, 130m, 140m, 150m, 160m, 180m, 200m

1 x SkyTrak Skills assessment of wedge shots 40m, 45m, 50m, 55m, 60m, 65m, 70m,75m, 80m, 90m

1 x 30min session on Putt Out Matt doing mirror work and technique then do a points score game and laws of accuracy.

1 x 30min session at range putting green, 20 in a row from 30 feet then round the clock, 6 positions, starting at 1 putter length then moving back a grip length once all are holed.

1 x 60 min chip and pitch session. 30 min block practice and then a 9 hole, par 18 contest with myself.

3 x yoga sessions per week (yoga with Adrienne)

3 x weight sessions per week (Stronglifts program)Mental Game: I need to stop score watching and stay engaged in the shot. I also have major issues with not committing to shot before stepping up to it. Need to work on both of those, and they are related. (Unchanged, this is still relevant)Accountability : I will report the results of each session at the end of each week.

Sorry to hear! Heal quickly.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Got to the range yesterday... really need to figure out how I want to approach half wedges... I’d been working on a low spinner shot but wasn’t consistent, I’m thinking about moving to a higher shot where I let the wedge do the work as distance control is a major problem and I want to be able to focus on that and not the mechanics of my wedge game.

i also really need to learn distance control with my putter!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Three or four foot metal yardstick, $4 or so at Home Depot. The hole in the end for hanging on your tool wall holds the ball and putting it off the end of a 3/4" wide ruler is not as easy as it sounds. It's useful even if you don't have any other putting surfaces.

I have berber carpet that probably runs 8 or 9 on the stimp and if I can get it off the end of the ruler clean I can hit the hole at 20 feet. Also, trying to get it to barely fall of the end is good for those slick downhill putts.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Interesting... I’ll have to grab one.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Jan was a blast! Took a full swing lesson and a green reading class.

Feb goals:

Transfer my swing changes from my lesson to the range. Transfer the changes from range to the course. Once ingrained, Forget about the change and focus on pre-shot routine.

Ahead of me is one of the hardest parts of golf for me, the change.

This is the time I either go "all in" and invest in uncomfortable range time/ bad course performance/stress of slow progress or give up and go back to my old ways.

Well, I'm all in!

currently on the course since my lesson:

Driver: is unplayable3w- Hybrid: is inconstant but playable. P to 4 iron: contact is so solid on the course, I'm compressing the ball like never before, I just need to get use to the new flight when I aim/set up.

But this is normal for me with major changes and a road I have been down a few times. Grind time, lets go!

Im in a weird spot with my driver... put some time in at the range and was working on a fade... no idea why but the swing thought of hitting towards first base (right) was allowing me to hit left of target and fade it back in.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

That's exactly the trick I used to get the driver back.

I de-loft the club naturally(during a swing change, think its my body under pressure trying to control the club) and its a very low flight, 150- 200 low with a lot of roll(a lot). I stop aiming at the ball and started aiming at the bottom of the tee or even the 1'2" behind the ball(kind of like a sand shot) and started catching it on the up swing. It wasn't the flight/distances I'm wanted to but its getting really close and playable. I should be good soon..

Love the swing grind. As frustrating as it might get, the pay off is well worth it. It gets easier though because I learn little tricks to speed up the process from previous changes.

For me, everything will be the same january february and march. April will be when outside hitting starts and I start working on scoring.

As for simulator golf, I struggled with my wedges last session, so i'll continue chipping at home and hoping that helps. Not much else I can do.

January was all about grooving in the couple changes from my lesson with Monte early in the month. Primarily working on keeping my extension solid going back and shallowing out of my transition - so basically, a lot of range time. In fact, didn't play a single round in January.

Put the changes into play for the first time on Saturday. I went in with zero expectations as I didn't feel 100% ... or even really 80% ... but felt like I needed to go ahead and get that first go over with. First 6 or 7 holes were pretty miserable. I was definitely overthinking everything and not trusting the changes. But around 8, I let it go and decided to just trust it and swing the damn club freely and ... went on to play a pretty solid back 9. Not my BEST - there was definitely some course-management rust and the course itself is one of the tougher ones in our rotation - but by 18; I wanted to do 18 more.

I've mostly focused on iron play and barely even hit my driver throughout this change but DANG; I was hitting some absolute bombs. One of my buddies I'm regularly out with is one of the best drivers of the ball I've ever played with (also a good 10 or 12 years younger than me) and I was not only keeping up with him, I got it past him a time or two. And definitely saw aa good club, club and a half more out of my irons when struck well. One par 3 in particular has always been an easy 5 iron for me ... totally flew the green with a smooth 6.

Came out feeling pretty good about everything. More work to be done so yeah, February is going to be all about building trust, grooving the changes in better and get on back to the year's goal of knocking these last 5 strokes off the index.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Will do, it will help keep me accountable as well. But I can already tell you it will be short game, scoring clubs, and driving. Step 1 is keeping the ball in the fairway, step 2 is improving from scoring positions (125 and in), and step 3 is getting up and down to a very high %.

My goal is to have fun every single round. It might sound silly, but really I just want to enjoy myself out there. I took about a 5 month break from golf because it wasn't fun anymore, I had high expectations without putting in the time to practice anymore and it mentally wore me down. My usually golf partner went off and is doing his own thing, so it was tough to get back into, but an old friend reached out and we've been playing for the last two months each weekend and I am having a blast again. On to more of a real goal, I'd like to get back down to a single digit within this month and I am not far off.

• Like 1

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Having fun every round is a real goal. Nothing wrong with enjoying some time out on the course and using it to relax.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Three weeks til my golf trip... I am not prepared.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58