Help Me Identify The Best Titleist Tour Model Irons Ever

I remember this particular model Titleist Tour Model iron as a very solid iron. I bought the 6 iron one day in a used barrel for $5 and it had a great feel to it. I heard from a friend that they were the 1996 model, but for now let me refer to them as the '96 model.They felt a little more solid than my Golden Rams, maybe because the heads felt a bit heavier and the muscle was a much larger than my Rams? I have done a little shopping of Titleist Tour Model irons and found many renditions of the club, with some of them absolutely hideous in design (i.e., some had flanges, some were bullet backs, some had smaller muscles, some had straight-back muscles versus arched muscles). I remember checking out some older Titlest Tour Model irons which had flanges and they felt horrible. They were certainly not as solid as the ones pictured below (the '96 model?). Is this particular model the best of the series? I think they are, but my experience with Titleist Tour Model is very limited. Can somebody please identify exactly which year(s) this model was produced, and if anyone thinks a particular model is just as good if not better, please post those pictures as well.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penguin-

Can't help you much. Titleist made so few LH Tour Models during this period.

The Golf Club ID and Price Guide by Golf Works should narrow the years of your search.

Steve Elkington was successful Titleist staffer in the mid-90s, but I'd put the Titleist Forged Iron series used by Tiger near the top of the list.

Dude, I'm your guy. But i can't pick a winner. I played Wilson Staff in high school, MacGregor in college, Hogans right out of college, Maxfli Australian Blades a few years, Titleist TM (won some $$ with those babies), Mizuno's for 5-6 years, Back to Titleist, back to Mizuno, back to Titleist, in the MB's now.......Every one of them were great.......BUT, I've played a few rounds with the new Srixon's, and the Bridgestone's.......Loved them both..........And the FINAL vote is?........Can't decide.......If you look at All-Time records, I'm pretty sure the Staff still has the most Major wins.......But, I could be wrong.......As far as Titleist, gotta be the 714 MB's........SWEET!!!.......

These look like the Tour Model that Titleist put out from '91-96

Attaching a link to Titleist web page. Look through the various years....I can't see anything else close to this.

I personally had a set of the 1981 Tour Models, and loved them....wish that I still had them, because the metal in them is just something that you can't seem to get in the states anymore.

Hope this helps!

http://www.titleist.com/previous-models?page=6

I've played most of the Tour models at one time or another and my vote goes to the 1984 Tour Model 841.

I have three sets of them and always looking for the matching woods and X100 shafts. Sweet blades.

If you're lucky, you can find them with Neumann Calf leather grips.

The TT Gold shafts may have Sensicore vibration dampening inserts. That may or may not be

a good thing for purist players, but they sure feel good at impact.

Trying to post an image, but you will find them at the Titleist link previously posted.

http://acushnet.scen...?wid=800&qlt=95

Just noticed a set of 2-P S300 on ebay with auction starting at $100 and BIT $199.

That's a bit pricey since PGA tradein value is only $25 and the pw grooves are worn.

Probably not leather grips, since that isn't mentioned in the listing.

However, they don't show up very often. It will be interesting to see if any bids

or if it gets re-listed at a lower starting point.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember this particular model Titleist Tour Model iron as a very solid iron. I bought the 6 iron one day in a used barrel for $5 and it had a great feel to it. I heard from a friend that they were the 1996 model, but for now let me refer to them as the '96 model.They felt a little more solid than my Golden Rams, maybe because the heads felt a bit heavier and the muscle was a much larger than my Rams? I have done a little shopping of Titleist Tour Model irons and found many renditions of the club, with some of them absolutely hideous in design (i.e., some had flanges, some were bullet backs, some had smaller muscles, some had straight-back muscles versus arched muscles). I remember checking out some older Titlest Tour Model irons which had flanges and they felt horrible. They were certainly not as solid as the ones pictured below (the '96 model?). Is this particular model the best of the series? I think they are, but my experience with Titleist Tour Model is very limited. Can somebody please identify exactly which year(s) this model was produced, and if anyone thinks a particular model is just as good if not better, please post those pictures as well.

The set pictured is of the 1991-96 Tour Models and they are one of the best along with the 1987 Box Blade Tour Model (very hard to find) and as mentioned already the 1984 841 Tour Models. In 1990, Titleist was transitioning from the 1986-89 Tour Models (Bullet Back) and made a few sets (about 6 months) of the 1991-96 Tour Models like the ones you have posted, but they had the diamonds next to the grooves like the 1986-89 model. These sets are extremely rare. I had a used set of them a few years back and sold them to a former WRX member in Australia for a small fortune. If you can get your hands on a set of the Box Blades or 841's they are sweet blades as well.

Those streamlined Titleist muscle-backs (entire lower half of blade) were sort of game-improvement

designs, compared to the earlier McGregor diamond shape muscles concentrated

into the middle of the face, which, in turn, were game-improvement designs compared

to 40's designs just adding weight along the bottom of the blades. I guess the even older

designs were the "true blades" with no added weight to the bottom or back.

That would be a radical "new" re-design - a real player's blade with modern metals and shafts.

Listen up, Titleist - lose the fancy back cavities and find a new market with a real blade.

• 5 months later...

I am interested in the Box Blade irons. The heads look compact, very square and no offset, which I like. However, I wonder how they compare to the '96 model Tour Models as specified in the original post. I am looking at the Titleist website and see that no 1 iron is available, so if I buy a set of the Box Blades I will have to put in either a 4 wood or a middle wedge to make up for it. For those of you who had both the Box Blade and the '96 Tour Model irons, which one feels better? Perhaps it may be a case of splitting hairs, but I always remember how the solid the '96 Tour Models feel. If the Box Blade feels even more solid, I might buy a set of them.

Penguin-

Titleist was pretty much RH ONLY when it came to their forged irons in the '80s-'90s. Their equipment rep at the time said it was by Design.

They made very few LH models- (Model 90s) but AC-108s? "Box Blades"? Check the RH Only box on those.

It was printed then Titleist staffer Steve Elkington had irons ground a size larger (the 2 iron was a 3 iron size stamped "2" on down...)

Russ Cochran wore a Titleist hat when he won the Senior British Open, but am not even sure Titleist made forged irons for him, or whether Phil Mickelson's LH 731 PM irons were.

Chris-

Titleist's first LH forged irons were quite similar to early First Flight NALG irons.

No, the translation between the RH and LH forged models at one point was simple-RH Only. Check those RH 841 Tour Models...

Titleist had RH Persimmon woods subcontracted to Joe Powell. LH Models? Good Luck.

Those LH Titleist forged irons you speak about were quite a few years after someone asked Titleist about LH equipment.

See Brian Harmans win today, and flashback to his USGA Junior win. Didn't Harman have a "Titleist" hat on then?

• 2 weeks later...

I have two sets of the 96's 3-pw X100, 2-pw smoke finish X100. I picked up a set of the Box Blades 2-pw, these need some restoration as most of the ferrules are separated from the hosels, Tour Flex shafts match up to DG S300 perfectly. X100's ss 1x going into them, will try to preserve the ferrules, but have Black/copper/black/copper ferrules in the shop. Two sets of 712's, one with Tour Issue X100's, one with Project X 7.0 shafts that are either going with the heads or being replaced with DG Tour shaft (X7 on butt stamps) may need to ss 1 or 2 x's. 670's, 680's, 681's not T stamp, enough about my Titleist blade irons, have others too but this is a Titleist based thread.

• 2 years later...