Prices in the UK

babyfade

In over 25 years of using the county card at partipating clubs/counties I have never had my card refused. In fact, even some Yorkshire clubs accept the card even though the county is not on the nation wide scheme. I don't think most members of clubs use the card often, but the card certainly influences where I play. It's just a shame few big name London area clubs accept the card.

I'm playing Luffenahm Heath this year on our Captains away day. Great course so looking forward to playing it again. Alwoodly is an awesome course and doesn't always get enough recognition in my opinion compared to it's contemporaries in the area. Ganton is one of my top top courses in the UK. Always in good condition and a challenging but fair test of golf.

In regards to County Cards, I can say this. My wife works in our clubs pro shop.

When people have booked rounds at other clubs using there county cards she has often received a phone call confirming that individual to be a member. I'm also pretty sure county cards have a space for your CDH number which the club you are visiting can use to verify your England Golf affiliation.

The Intelligent Golf App makes it very easy to confirm membership, although I have never been asked to prove membership.

Between the co card and reciprocals, I can easily save half the cost of my membership dues when playing away without being too picky about where I play. I cant figure out why the golf associations haven't knocked heads to create a card that can be used at any partipating GB club.

Jed

Ganton isn't my favourite northern heathland/moorland course, but it is the one I would most highly recommend. I actually prefer Moortown to Alwoodley because they control the rough far better. Alwoodley has let things get out of control in terms of rough. Lots of lush broadleaf grasses have invaded making for chop out/lost ball golf in summer. Although, I think the club may have addressed the issue somewhat since my last visit... not sure.

While not heathland/moorland, my favourite inland northern course is Cavendish. Its a lovely Dr Mac design with several special holes. The club has started a long term plan of improvements to remove trees, improve drainage, renovate bunkers etc. The new JCB isn't far down the road, although it is an entirely different animal!

Not played that many Yorkshire courses myself, but I really enjoy Ganton. I like the moonscapeness of it.

When were you last at Alwoodley? It's been 3 and a bit for me and I didn't think it was that encroaching. Is Sand Moor distinctly a notch below, what we'd consider the first tier Yorkshire courses? Since I'm usually passing through, as opposed to staying there, I've not gotten around to staying for a few days and playing all the ones in that neighbourhood.

Speaking of passing through, I've been keen on stopping in at Hallamshire or one of my drives North.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I last played Alwoodley a few years ago. One spect about rough is it can make a difference year to year and between winter and summer. That said, Alwoodley is the sort of club that can afford to control their rough. I am also a bit miffed the 15th green was dumbed down for some esoteric reason which eludes me. Don't get me wrong, I like Alwoodley and think it is a very good course. Is it as characterful as a place like Notts? Not a chance.

Hallamshire isn't a bad fly-by shout on a deal. There are some very good holes in the hilly part of the course away from the house. Another course of interest may be Crosland Heath. There were some aspects I didn't like, but in retrospect I may have been a bit harsh. I would like to return.

Ah ya, that's the quarry site course? Ya the pics of some of the greensites look cool. Oh sure agreed, for all it's goodness it does just sit in a residential neighbourhood - regardless of how leafy - while Notts definitely has the scale and the long views, before even getting to the holes.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I played that course the year before last in August. I well remember the first quarry par 3. I hit a great iron that was all set to land on the green (no mean feat for a +22) then a gust of wind caught it and it hit the fringe and bounced into the gully. Doesn't that course have a couple of holes that cross? One where the tee is on the left of a fairway half way up and you're driving across that fairway? I remember thinking that it'd be a nasty place to be standing if someone sent a ball left from the other tee.

I played several courses around there while I was staying Holmfirth.

• 8 months later...

Working on a trip to Scotland next May. I know a lot of the talk in this thread is about the bucket list prices. But what I’m finding, is that I’m surprised about the prices at the next level down.

For instance, around St Andrews:

Crail, Elie, Leven all about 100£. 

Panmure: 125

I guess from my earlier research I expected most of these to be in the 60-80 range, not 90-125. 

Where the deal appears to be is the St Andrews tickets, where you can get as low as 65/day. 

I am a little stuck, because all that golf around St Andrews is going to add up very quickly. All along I expected to offset the Old, Carnoustie, North Berwick, Muirfield bybfilling up a bunch of days with the charming, lesser known spots, but obviously I underestimated what means around SA.

I’m currently planning 3 weeks in SA and 1 in North Berwick, but I’m also starting to think I should make East Lothian my base, where it seems there are lots more of those second tier options at a relatively low rate: Gullane 2 (75) and 3 (50); Kilspindie (70); Dunbar (70 twilight); Glen (65).

One advantage of staying in East Lothian is the more affordable courses of Northumberland are easily accessible. Goswick is very good, but other good courses are Dubstanburgh Castle, Bamburgh Castle and Alnmouth Village. East Lothian also has a few cheap, but interesting courses in Musselburgh Old and Braid Hills. 

A cheap course in Fife which interest me is Kinghorn. Pitreavie is good, very hilly and not links, but good. 

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Working on a trip to Scotland next May. I know a lot of the talk in this thread is about the bucket list prices. But what I’m finding, is that I’m surprised about the prices at the next level down.

For instance, around St Andrews:

Crail, Elie, Leven all about 100£. 

Panmure: 125

I guess from my earlier research I expected most of these to be in the 60-80 range, not 90-125. 

Where the deal appears to be is the St Andrews tickets, where you can get as low as 65/day. 

I am a little stuck, because all that golf around St Andrews is going to add up very quickly. All along I expected to offset the Old, Carnoustie, North Berwick, Muirfield bybfilling up a bunch of days with the charming, lesser known spots, but obviously I underestimated what means around SA.

I’m currently planning 3 weeks in SA and 1 in North Berwick, but I’m also starting to think I should make East Lothian my base, where it seems there are lots more of those second tier options at a relatively low rate: Gullane 2 (75) and 3 (50); Kilspindie (70); Dunbar (70 twilight); Glen (65).

Tell me about it. American prices took over a few years ago. Not at all sure when or if I’ll be back.

The three or seven day SA ticket is still ok value and they are very helpful. Apart from that you really going to struggle. 

Some of the ones you mention come up on teeofftimes discounted a little. Without that Scotland is very poor value compared to Cumbria or Northumberland. Do not miss Silloth, Dunstanburgh and Goswick in particular.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Tell me about it. American prices took over a few years ago. Not at all sure when or if I’ll be back.

The three or seven day SA ticket is still ok value and they are very helpful. Apart from that you really going to struggle. 

Some of the ones you mention come up on teeofftimes discounted a little. Without that Scotland is very poor value compared to Cumbria or Northumberland. Do not miss Silloth, Dunstanburgh and Goswick in particular.

Just when I think I’ve got my regions set, you throw a new one at me haha. Looks like Northumberland is relatively hidden, but the question is if they’re “gems.” If this is a bucket list Scotland links trip, even if this is England, I wonder if it’s actually closer to what parts of Scotland would have been a couple decades ago, unvarnished, overlooked by tourists. The price is certainly right and I could do a few days out there on the cheap. 

Sadly I think the days of true hidden gems in Scotland are long gone. 

As stated tier 2 courses are pushing prices up to closely match those of the big dogs. 

I suspect there is an element of "well people are coming to play these big courses so they are going to have to play other courses on their trip. Why don't we increase our prices and cash in on it?!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Just when I think I’ve got my regions set, you throw a new one at me haha. Looks like Northumberland is relatively hidden, but the question is if they’re “gems.” If this is a bucket list Scotland links trip, even if this is England, I wonder if it’s actually closer to what parts of Scotland would have been a couple decades ago, unvarnished, overlooked by tourists. The price is certainly right and I could do a few days out there on the cheap. 

I can absolutely assure you. Took 24 chaps up there two years ago, all agreed Goswick (final Open regional qualifier) (50ish) was far superior to Dunbar just across the border(80ish). Dunstanburgh is even cheaper. Bamburgh is more famous as Northumberland goes so not quite as good value IMO. It’s really one of the only coastal regions of the uk that is ‘hidden’ as it’s so remote. 

You are getting twice the golf for your money compared to Scotland, even better if you can justify getting to Silloth as well. They would all easily be over £100 north of the border 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, milesgiles said:

I can absolutely assure you. Took 24 chaps up there two years ago, all agreed Goswick (final Open regional qualifier) (50ish) was far superior to Dunbar just across the border(80ish). Dunstanburgh is even cheaper. Bamburgh is more famous as Northumberland goes so not quite as good value IMO. It’s really one of the only coastal regions of the uk that is ‘hidden’ as it’s so remote. 

You are getting twice the golf for your money compared to Scotland, even better if you can justify getting to Silloth as well. They would all easily be over £100 north of the border 

Stop telling everyone about Northumbria for goodness sake. Keep it secret. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, milesgiles said:

so im told Prestwick is actually charging different rates for uk golfers and international visitors.. 

covid related or is Scotland finally recognising they have pushed it too far?

For last year a lot of the big courses ran discounts to Scottish residents; how this translates to this year we will see.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

58 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

For last year a lot of the big courses ran discounts to Scottish residents; how this translates to this year we will see.

yeah i saw that and never got up there at all in the end, this is the first ive heard of a 'british' discount though.

Said it a few times, the market for £100 plus golf in the uk is tiny.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

yeah i saw that and never got up there at all in the end, this is the first ive heard of a 'british' discount though.

Said it a few times, the market for £100 plus golf in the uk is tiny.

Dunno I am looking forward to the summer where I can play Dornoch(pay) and another course up that way, Old Course trip(member guest), Cruden Bay(Member guest). September Turnberry for my 2 year anniversary(not going to be cheap).

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I don't know if it's Covid related but I have a lads golf trip booked in September to Celtic Manor and it's nearly double the cost of what it was when I went for the same trip back in 2017. 

Celtic Manor was always know as really good value for money for a trip but now it's pricing itself out of that bracket and personally I'm not sure it's eligible to be considered any higher than it is. 

Edited by Divot License

1 minute ago, Divot License said:

I don't know if it's Covid related but I have a lads golf trip booked in September to Celtic Manor and it's nearly double the cost of what it was when I went for the same trip back in 2017. 

Try and book a hotel for St Andrews before october, its crazy, im going for a week in mid May hopefully, it was actually cheaper renting a 2 bed apartment than booking hotels, and im not talking the old course hotel either

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

7 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

Try and book a hotel for St Andrews before october, its crazy, im going for a week in mid May hopefully, it was actually cheaper renting a 2 bed apartment than booking hotels, and im not talking the old course hotel either

Have you considered and B&B through AirB&B?

6 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

It's a decent enough cut 60-80 quid off peak rates and totally done to mitigate the lack of international guests. I think every course every place relying on travelers is doing it. Heck Pebble has been doing it a lot this year too.

Of interest to me, is are club dues/annual membership costs going up for the members? For those clubs heavily reliant on the pricey visitor fees, there must be a fair few clubs needing to figure out the math a bit differently last, this, and next year.

F.T.