Maltby TS2

Popeye64

@DarthFader17. I'll offer my perspective to the discussion. A year ago was evaluating replacement irons for the Ping i20's I had been using. I had grown weary of the battling the notorious Ping bounce, to many thinned shots especially with the short irons, and wanted a change. Narrower sole, thin(ish) top line, low bounce. And preferably not an overly large head SGI head design. Play '99 Hogan Apex occasionally and really like the overall head shape. Often thought, if someone were to make a SGI iron head but still had the appearance of a MB, would be very interested. And FWIW, I'm a sweeper (aka shallow swing plane) as well.
Then found Popeye's TS-2 thread, and when the TS-1's came out they were added to the discussion. Seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. SGI attributes, low CG, forgiveness across the face, and was intrigued by the hollow, foam filled design that might provide a bit of distance help. Began asking some questions here as well. The TS-2's made me very nervous, a thicker topline is something I've never found visually appealing. Even though Popeye had posted that it "disappeared" after a point do to stellar performance. Was still leaning towards the TS-1's. When a set of barely used heads (4 - GW) showed up on eBay, at significant savings, sorta made the decision for me. No time for demos, pulled the trigger.
Not a student of OEM offerings. I've demoed the G700's and P790's in the past, didn't care for either one. Way to chunky looking, zero confidence that I could execute finesse shots with either. NTM, the prices were a non-starter. Believe the TM-1's are unique within their category, quite unlike other SGI irons. So I have one golf season in with them and have more than satisfied with their performance. Shafted them up with Grafalloy ProLaunch Red Axis graphite in regular. An older shaft, but I always liked the PL line and still use them in my fairway implements. And got a stellar deal on them (~$11.00 per). I'm not unnecessarily fussy when it comes to shafts. And just because a shaft is older, doesn't necessarily make them "less good". Was looking for a weight category and they fit the window. Plus, I'd been demoing a TE 7 iron with one installed. The TE didn't work out (launched way to high), but the shaft seemed entirely suitable.
The TS-1 sole design makes for excellent turf interaction with my swing. Exactly what I was looking for. Gone are the thinned shots. Don't work the ball a lot, typical trajectory is straight or slight left to right fade. Trying to draw the ball just causes nasty hooks to occur. Typically hit a higher ball naturally, but can flight the TS-1's down when necessary. Especially the PW and GW. Stellar feel, dare I say the sweet forged feel that I realize off the Hogans. Forgiving on less than center face contact. Have had to adjust club selection to the increase in carry distances. These seem to be about one club longer than before. Some of it attributable to the stronger lofts compared with the i20's. Super easy to adjust the lie, had mine adjusted 2* up and my club bender. (Like to spend some time playing irons before having them adjusted. Watch ball flights, look at divots sorta thing.) Lastly, as a duffer well into my 60's, I'm only playing irons from 150 yards and in. I have other implements that are more reliable from beyond that mark. The set is makeup is 6 - GW. Lastly, purely from an aesthetic point, they look dam(n) good in the bag. I'm one that would likely not play a set or irons very well, if I didn't like the looks of them to begin with.
Hope this adds some additional perspective to your evaluation.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Well. That certainly is a way to do that. That GW is as strong as my PW in play now. Have never been a fan of adjusting lofts 2° either way. It would be interesting to see how the set plays.

I'm a firm believer of keeping lofts as close to factory as possible and only bend when a set has a few flyers or weak performers. I did a set of King Cobras two weeks ago and the lofts and lies were all over the map. Customer was shocked how much better they felt amd played when he hit them again.

I've said it before but the PTMs were victims of the TS series release. PTMs are a great head and I built a set of the Blacks with 950 Nippons for someone. Great combination.

I have also have had 3 people chose the PTM outright over the TS series. These were all players who had no idea about tech involved. They simply went on feel and ball flight. They were all mid to high handicaps.

@Fellaheen51 , Thank you for the deep insight. I appreciate you taking the time to really get me in your head. I believe that even with something as "personal" as Golf - meaning that there is so much subjectivity to it - that with enough "pointers" or "connection points" we can get a pretty solid idea of who thinks and feels in ways that are similar to ourselves. Not saying that those thoughts or feelings are more "right or wrong" but just closer or further from our own perspectives. I appreciate the effort to give me the context of your thoughts. This, is likely the final nail in the coffin I think.

i went to GG yesterday to test out some clubs and get a basic fit and wouldn't you know it, I got bit by the yips. I don't know if It was cause I didn't have my golf shoes, or because I just got super nervous, but I couldn't hit a ball to save my life. My 7-iron is basically my 160 club on a normal day, my 170 club on a good day and my 150 club on the worst of days, and I was hitting it with a carry of about 95 yards with a terrible slice, and that was on well-ish (for the day) struck balls! (granted, I think the simulator was all manner of jank, but still...) Had I gotten that fitting, I would have likely pulled the trigger today.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get my swing back! I felt for the dude at GG. I came in with my combo-ed 7 iron, (tiny, even compared to the JPX's) and was asking about these more "player-y" clubs, as mentioned previously, I wanted to try some comps, so, I'm picking up the JPXs, the P760's, the srixon's etc. Then, we go to start the fitting process and *&$&%(#*%) happens; He promptly went "ok, here is the p760 (3 swings) the i210's(2 swings), the apex pros (2 swings) and here the callaway MAVERICKS(!)"...lol...I have no problem with GI irons, and think no one should ever feel shame if they find a club they like to hit, gives them the performance and feel they enjoy and they like to look at, in fact, it actually helped me realize that the new GI's aren't bad feel wise, but when he brought that out after what we talked about, I said "I don't expect you to believe me, but that 7-iron is my 160 club" and he said "well, better not get fit today then!"....dear lord...

Anyway, I totally digress, I think maybe I just had to expel my demons by confessing here! I appreciate the detailed response and hope they keep delivering. By the sound of things (how long you had your last set, and how well these are performing) I expect them to be in the bag for some time! i hope to have similar results!

I'm pretty much a sucker for the nerdy school teacher too, but I'd be lying if I didn't at times covet the hot sister! I'm strongly debating a 4-6 or 5-7 (or 4-7) combo...I just wish I lived by the golf works, this would be a no brainer to just go try them! To be completely honest, I think I'm more afraid of the feel of the TS-2's V. the TS-1's than the look. Though in the scoring clubs, the look does matter. And I am a sweeper and have had issues in the past with clubs/bounces that seemed to work for everyone but for me resulted in bouncing off the turf. I just want to personally say again how grateful I am that you took as much time as you have, walking us all through the process.

Also question, based on the note I just left for fellaheen, about my disastrous attempt at fitting, do you think it's crazy to use an 8-iron as the main fitting club? I've always had trouble with that 7-iron and feel so much more confident with the 8, is that still going to get me close enough? (in your experience)?

Thanks,

Yeah I think that's the one. Definitely TXG and I can never remember his name, but it probably is Ian. The guy that has the real strong accent. Super nice guy, and seems very knowledgeable. To be fair, Matt pushed him for his response and he didn't 'want' to respond, and hedged his bet pretty significantly; In what I have observed, he seems to do that when he knows there are diverse opinions about a topic. He went out of his way to say "theoretically"...may have just been worried that the Taylormade Overlords would come 'silence' him for speaking bad about the P790, lol, but either way, it was far from declarative.

I find the feel of the TS-2 to be much softer than the TS-1, for me feel wise its TS-2 all day.

On choosing an iron for fitting the 6 iron has traditionally been the iron to be fit with as it shows you the most dats as in time of flight and shape. Now that irons are creeping up in loft some fitting carts are 7 irons. If the 8 iron is you happy zone then by all means base your fitting off of that.

You want to find the best combination of spin and launch angle that will suit your game. But you also have to look at angle of descent. A low spinning high flying iron is fine if it lands steeply. A flight that is low amd boring needs spin to get it to bite. The modern designs fly high and land soft. Spinning less they are less effected by the wind as they carry longer. Fitting your self is fine if you can be patient enough to experiment with flex and length. Getting your self properly setup with a good static fitting and then adjust the club in a Dynamic fitting is the best way. Static fitting gets you close. Then the actual flight and shape of the ball will speak volumes if you know what you are looking at. Impact tape is also a great story teller. Fitting yourself can be a great journey in discovering your own golf swing. You must be patient and be ready to make mistakes.

Plus so many golfers do wonders off a grass mat but on real turf it's a whole different story.

Long story short 8 iron is fine.

So with all this TS-1 talk stirring up again and Bethpage Black on the Sim schedule this week I brought out the TS-1s for th bottom of the bag. Still have the 5-7 TS-2 added the 8-GW TS-1.

I forgot the monster length I get out of these irons and I took a few extra minutes in range mode before playing. It's almost shocking the height and length I get. GW was 117-120 PW was 138-140 9 was 153-157 and the 8 was 167-170. And they drop out of the sky. I do find it a little tough when I try to take some distance off of them as they seem to love when you are aggressive with them.

It was a good round. +6 for 18 holes. Was plagued by computer chosen 3 putts.

Took the plunge

didnt plan on going for it, but had a good night at the poker tables and decided it’s better spent here then given back!

was eyeing a combo ts1/2 set on ebay, but was worried about specifications. Then the epiphany - i want to cut my 4-7 down to an 8i length anyway, play a single length 4-8 then traditional specs 8-wedges. Problem solved. Clubs look mint and were a decent deal for a combo.

thanks to all for the help and will hopefully report back that i made the right decision!

what a wonderful game...until the wife finds out what i’ve done!

(problem for another day)...

So.... going to a one length takes more than just cutting them down. Lie angles and weights get all out of whack when you do that. You can get away with reduced length irons. To keep swing weights manageable add some lead tape to the heads and have them bent upright. . But making them all one length cant be done successfully.

One length irons are purpose built from the foundry.

If you want a reduced length set go with 1/4" gaps on length. Add some weight, bend them upright.

For weight/lie reference if you wind up with s 4 iron that is 6 iron length you need to bend it up to a lie of 62° and add 14g of lead tape to the head in order to get the flex of the shaft right.

Thanks guys! I should have been more clear that I understand there would have to be some adjustments to swing weight etc. BUT. I REALLY appreciate the information surrounding exactly what types of changes to be expecting. I tried to research a bunch of it, but as with all things, it seems we (as a collective golf community) have diverging opinions! Suffice to say, the gentlemen on this thread have earned my trust!

The main issue I had with the ebay set (originally) was that it was made "-0.5 in". My ultimate point about my epiphany, though I get that I forgot to actually say that part, was that if I'm already wanting to play "either single length" or "minimal variance" in the longer irons, then them being -1/2" really shouldn't matter much, since I'm wanting to shorten them anyway. I may even find I don't have to make any changes at all! I do realize that I may end up with short irons that are too short, (with the -1/2), but I can put new shafts in them if it causes me trouble.

unless my thinking is just way off here, in which case, I can always pull the shafts from my old set (even if I have to pay to get everything redone, I'll still only end up at less than the equivalent of the standard pricing from Golfworks on the set, and these clubs look to be basically new).

I do really like the 1/4" variation in the long irons idea, does that 1/4" just mean that the kick points end up being more consistent? Or the weight? or both? Or just the flex in genera? Is the idea here to suggest that if I want "the same ball flight characteristics" I'll need to adjust the weighting etc? From what I have gathered, it seems it's ball flight/trajectory that is most effected while distance should only have a minimal effect?

Thanks,

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your filesNot sure if Google drive files will load properly. If you can get the file and want to take a look just dm me with your email and I'll send you a copy.

Here's a useful file I found somewhere on here a while ago. You can input weights and lengths and get theoretical swing weights and MOIs of the clubs. There is debate between swingweight and MOI into which is better, a lot of people saying swingweight is outdated and MOI makes all the clubs "feel" the same. One big reason ppl go with swingweights is that it is easy to measure. I forget how you measure MOI in real life.

I made my set of clubs using 3/8" gaps instead of the 1/2 STD as this better fits the standard MOI. I'm not sure if it's better than a set of swingweight matched clubs, I don't get out enough to play consistently.

The advantage of one length is that it removes this, the head and shafts all weight the same so the only difference is loft. The problem is they have to widen the gaps so the low irons go far enough due to their decreased swing speed. The wishon single lengths combat this by adding a thinner hotter face to the 4-7 irons (I think).

IMO, the gold standard for single length are the Edel. I think they adjust the faces and shaft kickpoints. Lower lofts have thinner faces and lower kickpoints (for higher flight).

I'm a little surprised Golfworks didn't jump in with a set, just for giggles. I have a feeling they know their customers, and their base probably wouldn't embrace single length enough to take a flyer on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the first round of the year. Bagged the 5-7 TS-2 and the TS-1 8-G. This is my second go round with this setup and for some reason seem to be much happier with it this time through. DG 105 S300. CP2 Pro midsize grips. Have had them in my simulator setup and have liked the results. On course was great.

I've also added the KE4 TC driver and that thing was a superstar. Shot one of the easiest -1 rounds ever. The greens were like an upside down soccer cleat so even 4 footers were interesting. I was inside of 12' all day long.

Also put the TP5X in play and was an even bigger surprise. Ball flies very straight but will dance off a well struck wedge. Not sure how they can accomplish both of those traits.

What is everyone's setup approaching this season???

Liking going with the PTMs just don’t know if I’ll go with the Paderson imrt 110 or the aerotech 110. I like them both is the issue!

I haven’t got a chance to try my TC tour driver yet. Wanting to pick up a Paderson ballistic to give it good comparison to my G400.

the TC tour fairways are solidly in the bag!

The TS2s with the KK graphite are soo good. Ping G400 Max is solid, as is my new-to-me Maltby Moment X Tour putter. Couple of new-to-me Maltby wedges are in the bag.

I have a 19* Maltby KE4 Tour TC hybrid with Tensei Blue. The KKs in the irons are working out so well, I'm thinking they should be in the hybrid too.

FW is 16.5* Ping G400 SFT which was kicked out of the bag once. I just don't have any other 4 woods to try. The Stf2 line due in May looks good, but does not look like it will have a 4 wood.