WHAT'S YOUR HIDDEN GEM? Submit your favorite "hidden gem" golf courses (less than $50)

Comments

• LithovtLithovt LithoVT Bristol, TNMembers  102WRX Points: 41Handicap: 10.3Posts: 102 Fairways

Olde Mill
    Laurel Fork, VA
    Price: $39-49 ($65 on Saturdays during peak season)
    https://oldemill.net/golf/course-details/

Pictures at website address. I try to make it here 1-2 times per year. One of my favorite mountain courses at a great price.

Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F7+ 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD TP-7 S
    Fairway: Cobra F7 (5/6) 18.5 Diamana D+ 80 Stiff
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (3/4) 20.5, Diamana D+ 90 Stiff
    4 iron: Srixon U85 Nippon 105S
    5-PW: Honma TW727V Nippon 125S
    Wedges: 50 (Cleveland RTX4, stock s400 shaft), 56 (Vokey SM6 m-grind, stock wedge flex shaft), 62 (Vokey SM6, stock wedge flex shaft)
    Putter Ping Anser 2 35"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Mike_CMike_C Members  1593WRX Points: 204Posts: 1,593 Platinum Tees

I don't play public courses as much as I used too, but I have relatives in Columbus Ohio and used to visit often, and remember my grandfather taking me to this course way back in the 1970s and played it many times after that, always thought it was a bit of a hidden gem:

Course Name: Denison Golf Club (used to be called Granville GC IIRC)
    City, State: Granville, OH
    Price Range: looks like $32 in the afternoon, 48 before noon, weekends 5-10$ more
    Course Website: https://www.denisongolfclub.com/golf-course/
    A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): An old Donald Ross course, I remember it being a pretty good example of Ross' style, it looks like Denison Univerity now owns it. Here is a tour of the course https://www.denisongolfclub.com/course-tour/

I just remember it being very fun to play, not overly long, but reviews I see are it still is nice and in good shape. Any central Ohio WRX'ers played here recently?

Posted:
    WITB
    Ping G410 LST 9.0 Tensei CK Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    TM GAPR Mid 4 hybrid KBS Hybrid S
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland CBX 2 52 bent to 51 DG 120 S
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    Original Ping B60, White Hot 2 ball blade, Never Compromise Dinero Baron,  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • spineshankspineshank Charlotte, NCMembers  646WRX Points: 121Handicap: 7.0Posts: 646 Golden Tee

Monroe Country Club in Monroe, NC. Its public. Usually is $45 or less. Always in excellent condition. Probably is, its not the most convenient course to get to if you live in Charlotte.

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 9*
    Cobra F9 14.5*
    Callaway Apex 18*
    Mizuno MP5 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 50* | 54* | 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport Classic
  • PureGolf313PureGolf313 Members  70WRX Points: 33Handicap: 12Posts: 70 Bunkers

On -, @MaxBuck said:

JMG_02 wrote:

* Course Name: Apple Valley Golf Club

• City, State: Howard, OH

• Price Range: $29-45 Weekday vs Weekend

• Course Website: https://www.applevalleygolfcourse.com/

• A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):

• The course condition compared to cost is just crazy. Perfect bent fairways and greens. Always in incredible shape, smooth fast greens.

I really need to play Apple Valley before I leave the area.

Wow, the first picture I was thinking that place needs some renovation to thin out those trees but then that second picture stole my heart, what a perfectly framed Par 3. I travel to Ohio often and may have to look up this place if I am close.

Posted:
  • easye732easye732 Members  14WRX Points: 4Posts: 14 Bunkers

Colonial Terrace, Ocean Township. It's a fun little par 35 9 hole course in my town. As a resident, you can play 9 or 18 for under $40 with a cart. Presents a nice challenge and you get your 10th time free once you play 9 times.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • eball33eball33 Mount VernonMembers  87WRX Points: 59Handicap: 4Posts: 87 Fairways

On -, @JMG_02 said:
    • Course Name: Apple Valley Golf Club

• City, State: Howard, OH

• Price Range: $29-45 Weekday vs Weekend

• Course Website: https://www.applevalleygolfcourse.com/

• A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):

• The course condition compared to cost is just crazy. Perfect bent fairways and greens. Always in incredible shape, smooth fast greens.

I love Apple, by far purest course you'll play for under $50. The greens and fairways are always immaculate.

Posted:
  • Ritzer81Ritzer81 Members  136WRX Points: 55Posts: 136 Fairways

On -, @Chrischo555 said:

In my opinion, The Highlands of Elgin Golf Course is one of the best public golf courses in the Chicagoland area. It's a great links style course with a decent amount of slope (which is almost impossible to find in Chicago). From the back tees, there are par 4s ranging from 310 yards to 470 (with a 260-270yd forced carry) and par 3s ranging from 140-240. The greens are also very fun as they have a nice amount of undulation and are well maintained. In my experience there, the greens usually run at about a 10 on the stimp.* Course Name: The Highlands of Elgin Golf course

I completely agree. The Highlands is by far one the best values. I would have never expected such a nice course in the Chicago area at such a reasonable rate.

Posted:
  • El GringoEl Gringo Members  185WRX Points: 94Handicap: 11Posts: 185 Fairways

On -, @sabram said:

Corballis Links in Donabate Ireland about 20 minutes outside of Dublin City Centre is a true links that costs 20 Euro. It's one of the best values in Ireland. The course has 10 par 4's, 7 par 3's and one par 5. For a course with 7 par 3's it has great variety and requires accuracy off the tee when the wind is up.

Course website: corballislinks.com/

+1

Corballis is what Strandhill used to be until they jacked the green fee way up.

Happy Hockey

Posted:
    El Gringo's GB&I Golf Course Tours

http://www.google.co...2499999965&z=11
  • lifemisspentlifemisspent Members, Paid BST  74WRX Points: 97Posts: 74 Bunkers

Malone Golf Club
    Malone NY
    45-55$
    Malonegolfclub.com

Posted:
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members  1600WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,600 Platinum Tees

Near us here in NorCal, right over the hills in NV...Sunridge GC in Carson City. Love this course. Amazing views. Course is in good shape (at worst). Interesting layout with lots of challenge. Beautiful high-dessert deal. Took another boys' trip over there this weekend and had a blast playing this place...

Very inexpensive.

https://playsunridge.com/

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400, Tour Stiff, 8*
    Mizuno Forged JPX 900 Irons
    A Couple of Ping Glide Wedges
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X
    Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Advertisement
  • jkinger89jkinger89 Members  97WRX Points: 78Posts: 97 Fairways
    • Course Name: Mules National
    • City, State: Warrensburg, Missouri
    • Price Range: $15-$19
    • Course Website: https://www.mulesnational.com/
    • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Recently renovated, university owned and operated course in the heart of Missouri. It's not so much a "hidden" gem to those in the area, but since the renovation it's really become a gem that not so many people appreciate. The new greens and layout really maximize the property that they have to work with. And for the price, you honestly cannot beat it. Only an hour from Kansas City, too. And the 18th hole is a medium length island green par three that finishes right in front of the clubhouse patio. A great spot to finish up and watch shots come in over drinks.

Posted:
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Lefty Boomers  134WRX Points: 99Posts: 134 Fairways
    • Valley View Golf Course
    • Layton Utah (30 mn north of downtown SLC)
    • Price Range-9 holes:$16 18 holes:$32 to walk- add a few bucks more for a cart
    • Course website: http://valleyviewutah.com
    • This is an incredible golf course set at the base of the Wasatch Mountains with views (deer all over the place, fantastic elevation changes, mountains, valley's, lakes and more) that are only matched by one great golf hole after another. A true no frills muni in middle of a housing development that is as good as it gets. My nephew took me there about 10 years ago and I had never heard of it even though my family comes from the area and my great grandfather was the mayor and county Dr 130 years ago. He promised me I wouldn't be disappointed and he was right. This is the 2nd golf course where I said the words "I can't believe there is a golf course here" The other place was LA North in West LA. Utah has some of the best hidden gems in the west and Valley View is at the top of the list. A few years ago, a friend said "Lets go to Myrtle Beach" I said, "lets go to Utah, you guys will not believe how good it is and how cheap it is." 8 of us spent a week up there and to this day guys will say "Valley View, wow, that was a great track. When are we going back?"
    Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10344WRX Points: 3,545Handicap: 8Posts: 10,344 ClubWRX

Right in my back yard. Love this little 9 hole course that is the original home of what would become the pebble beach pro am.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10344WRX Points: 3,545Handicap: 8Posts: 10,344 ClubWRX

haha, I play Sunridge on the regular. It is an interesting course. The front is much better than the back. The back gets a bit funky once you get up on the hill.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Yeah, "funky" is a good description. I enjoy it. Really fun course. Thinking about moving over by in in retirement in the next couple years.

Posted:
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X

Advertisement

Played that when my boy was only about 3 years old. Man, time flies! Beautiful how the trees are so old and seem to reach up into that Tahoe blue sky on both sides of the fairways. Neat little track - and quite aged for our region.

Posted:
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X
  • PykiePykie Members  37WRX Points: 57Posts: 37 Bunkers

Bay Views Golf Course in Rosebud, Mornington Pennsula, Australia.

About 40mins drive from Melbourne.

$45 AUD = $30 USD.

Posted:
    Titleist 913d2 10.5* Fukijura Fuel 60g S
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15*
    Nike VRS Tour 2.0 21* Hybrid
    Mizuno MP 53 5-PW
    Vokey SM5 49, 52, 60, 64
    Odyssey Tank V-Line Cruiser
  • cbrew1010cbrew1010 BostonMembers, Paid BST  81WRX Points: 31Posts: 81 Fairways

It is winter now but Biddeford-Saco in Biddeford, Maine is an old Donald Ross gem!

biddefordsacocountryclub.com

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus - Tour AD BB 60s
    Callaway Epic Flash - 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 
    PXG 0317X GEN2 19* - Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Apex Pro 4-7 PX 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB 8-PW PX 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50/54/60
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #7

• burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast hawai'iMembers  325WRX Points: 109Posts: 325 Greens

Cavendish golf course (9 holes)

Lanai City Hawaii

Free

course built in 1947 for the pineapple plantation workers.

Posted:
  • golftherapy02golftherapy02 Members  102WRX Points: 17Handicap: 18Posts: 102 Fairways

Taking a trip in June and have added this on my list to play

Posted:

Advertisement
  • yankfan71yankfan71 Members  6WRX Points: 6Posts: 6 Bunkers

Herndon Centennial during the week. Shorter course but for the price it can't be beat.

Posted:
  • MindtheGAPMindtheGAP Members  79WRX Points: 35Handicap: 5-10Posts: 79 Fairways

Course name: Emporium Country Club

City, state: Emporium, Pa (north Central PA)

Price: ~$40 including cart

Description: it is definitely one of the best maintained courses in the northern tier area. Its set on the side of a mountain and plays well with the hills while not just going up and down. An open front 9 and a real tight start to the back. It has a couple of drivable par 4s if you're longer but also 2 nicely long par 5s.

Posted:
  • DancinDancin Members  394WRX Points: 129Handicap: 8Posts: 394 Greens

Wow. That actually looks in really good shape. I always thought it would be pretty rough due to it being free, so I never bothered to play it. Do you know if Ellison is paying to keep that maintained or is that all done with local volunteers?

Posted:
  • burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast hawai'iMembers  325WRX Points: 109Posts: 325 Greens

When ellison closed the Norman designed Koele course he moved some of the workers to take care of the cavendish course full time. its pretty awesome. i play there regularly when visiting family

Posted:
  • ArmchairAviatorArmchairAviator Members  5WRX Points: 7Handicap: 20Posts: 5 Bunkers
    • Course Name:

Links at Spring Church

• City, State

Spring Church, PA (30 minutes North of Pittsburgh)

• Price Range

$44 for 18/cart on Weekends and Holidays. $34 on Weekdays.

• Course Website

www.playthelinks.com

A fantastic mosty-links style course in southwestern PA that sometimes gets overshadowed by a few more notable local courses. Half the price of others, and always kept in absolutely pristine condition. The course is challenging, but an absolute joy to experience, even if playing poorly! Staff are very friendly (pictures courtesy of Google, because I try to leave the phone in the bag!)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • McDreamersonMcDreamerson Members  11WRX Points: 20Handicap: 10Posts: 11 Bunkers
    • Course Name:

Langdon Farms

• City, State

Aurora, Oregon (30 minutes South of Portland, OR)

• Price Range

$18 (twilight) $50 walking for 18

• Course Website

https://langdonfarms.com/

This course is straight forward northwest golf, big trees, subtlety to the greens making putting fun/interesting, gorgeous colors in the summer and early fall. This course is directly next to I-5 which makes a few holes (1, 2, 10, 11, 16, 17) loud with high speed traffic; if the I-5 was not right next to the course layout, the course conditions rival the private courses in the Portland area. Previous superintendent Nolan Wenker did a ton of work on drainage in 2014-2017 over the years to allow a course that plays well year round. He is now at Oswego Lake, with Stephen Purdy taking over Langdon now. Very playable for all levels of player, and hands down a top 5 course in the Portland area. There is a fun little putting course to drink a beer after your round, which I have never rolled a ball on.

Posted:

Taylor Made Original One Mini Driver 11.5 Tensei Orange CK 60 S
    Callaway Rogue 4w Even Flow Blue S, 3h HZRDUS Smoke
    Miura IC-601 4 KBS TGI 95 R+
    Miura PP-9903 5-9 Steelfiber i110 S
    Scratch DD 47 Steelfiber i110 W, Scratch DD 54/59 Paderson KINETIXX W
    GEOM Custom Mid Mallet ACCRA FX P300
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

• JP87JP87 Members  32WRX Points: 11Posts: 32 Bunkers
    • Course Name: San Clemente Municipal Golf Club
    • City, State: San Clemente, CA
    • Price Range: $48 to walk on weekends
    • Course Website: I'm too new to post links - Google it.

Orange County, CA golf is absolutely brutal in terms of pricing - you're pretty much paying $80 to play anywhere even semi-decent. But the San Clemente Muni is, in my opinion, the best value in the county. Doesn't get anywhere near as overcrowded as most Munis in the area, and course is very well maintained with great coverage on fairways and greens. While I'd say the front 9 is pretty straightforward, the back 9 has some really fun, tricky holes (especially 13-16) with some great elevation changes and some stunning ocean views (especially from #15). The greens have some local idiosyncrasies which it takes some getting used to - everything pulls wayyyy towards the ocean so you'll have putts you swear are going to break one way and they literally do the opposite.

Posted:
  • ccampbell57ccampbell57 Members  9WRX Points: 18Handicap: 7Posts: 9 Bunkers

The Crossings Golf Club - 4023 Wake Forest Hwy, Durham, NC 27703

Totally hidden gem for $49 peak!!

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 9.25 degree Fujikura Ventus Black 7X VeloCore
    Taylormade M6 Tour (15 degree) Aldila Rogue 110 X 
    Taylormade 790 UDI (17 degree) HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 
    PXG 0311T 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Vokey 7 Blue Wedges (50, 54, 60)
    Odyssey EXO 7 

Advertisement
  • yesac104yesac104 Members  103WRX Points: 39Posts: 103 Fairways

Wolf Ridge is a fun little track!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.