Washington State Golf Course Reports

FlyFish

> @kaschreiber said:

> > @sway162 said:

> > Has anyone rented out the golf boards at White Horse? Thoughts? Looks like a fun time!

> >

>

> I've never done it at White Horse, but have at Druids Glenn, and unfortunately, I thought it kind of sucked. We wound up turning them in at the turn for a normal cart. My biggest gripe was that I didn't really think the course itself was that conducive for them and I'd think WH is similar. In my mind, you need a big, open course with rolling fairways- Chambers, Gamble, etc. Smaller courses with a lot of undulation and tight cart paths would be pretty hard to maneuver. They're like a jet ski in that they're really hard to balance on any sort of slope when stopped or moving slowly, so I'd imagine getting them going after each stop would be kind of a pain in the ****. That said, don't let this alone turn you away. Glad we did it once, just wouldn't do it again unless at a bigger course (if that makes sense)

Thank you, I appreciate this. I see what you're saying though and now having second thoughts. With some of this rain we've been having as well doesn't favor towards trying the board. We'll see...I will make a game time decision!

> @turfmantim said:

> Anyone played Bear Mountain Ranch or Desert Canyon lately?

I played both in mid-July. I love both courses. At the time I played, Desert Canyon was in better shape. Greens were rolling quicker and true than compared to Bear Mtn. Fairways were in better shape as well.

Titleist 917D2 
Ping G410 Crossover Hybrid 2H 
Ping G Crossover Hybrid 4H
Ping i210 5-UW
Bettinardi H2 303 SS 52-56-60
Bettinardi 2019 Studio Stock 38 

Played Druids Glen yesterday and its fairways are starting to soften and get soggy. Didn't get too much roll and handful of embedded balls. They will start aerating their greens 11/30 and 10/1. This was my favorite course to play all Summer and yesterday's round unfortunately will be my last one for this year and will look forward to playing it next Summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Chambers Bay yesterday AM 9/29 - Course was in incredible shape, even after some of the rain we have had lately including the night before. Had very linksy weather with winds that you had to account for on each hole. Brisk, cloud covered for the most part but the sun would peak out for a few holes. Greens rolled great and the course played firm overall. It is getting to the time of the year where lots of rounds are to be played at a select few courses.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a tee time at 12:48pm Thursday (10/24) at Chambers Bay. Booked a twosome as they wouldn't let me book as a single. Looking for somebody to play with. I got the tee time for $80 per person. Let me know! I'm a 3-5 HDCP but don't care if you shoot 120 as long as you're faster than Dechambeau. Coming into town for a wedding this coming weekend. Thanks

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

I've never taken a caddie or played in a group with a caddie. But, I can see it being helpful. There are some holes that require the right line. I bet a caddie would save you 3-4 strokes especially as a better golfer. I'd suggest getting there a little early. The practice area is really nice and you have to take a shuttle down to the course.

> @RobYakes said:

> Also wanted to know what you guys' thoughts were on a caddie at Chambers? Thinking maybe having one carry my bag, or should I save a bit a book a forecaddie?

I was in a group with a caddie, not my own. Still made my round enjoyble enough that I tipped him, it was that kind of experience. I think you'll enjoy having one if you can spring the cash.

Just finished playing Jackson yesterday and today. Some plugged balls and cart path only. Greens are slow with debris. Grass starting to get bare in some fairway and tee box spots. Overall, still playable for this time of the year considering the rain we had and the price point . 12th hole basin is not super soggy yet if that gives any additional indication.

Went over to White Horse today. Gorgeous fall day, not a cloud in the sky. Course was in great shape given time of year and how much rain lately. No plugged balls and fairway balls were rolling out considerably. Greens rolled great. Cart path only for those who plan on riding. The wind picked up quite a bit which made things interesting. $39 walking rate and $20 replay made for a hell of a day since we decided to go back around for a 2nd loop once we finished.

Played Mt Si on Saturday. Teed off at 9:30 and had temps through the first 6. Course was in great winter shape, $26 to walk. Some issues with slow play but other than that a solid round for sure.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

• 3 months later...

Checking in with any Puget Sound Golfers on the east side (non-peninsula) who have played any non-soggy public courses so far this year. I know we've been getting hit hard with the rain since the beginning of the year so pickings are going to be slim. I've been hitting Jefferson lately which remarkably doesn't get too soggy (still kind a wet and bare grass in some places), but getting tired of playing the same track. I'm pretty sure Chambers and Home Course is probably playing decent for this time of the year. Any other courses around the Metro Puget Sound area where folks have played and experienced decent playing conditions for this time of the year?

I played Mt Si last Fri 1/31. Even in the downpour we were having it was still solid and remains my go to course in the area. Had a couple balls plug, but didn't lose any and had some actually bounce and run in fairways too. It was closed Super Bowl Sunday, but I think that was more due to the snow Saturday night and the river flooding as well. If it's open, it's worth checking out.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

West Seattle 2/9/20 - had morning tee time. Virtually the entire course is muddy grass. Walking the fairway left inched deep footprints and mud covering our shoes. It didn't rain that day, but it has rained a lot in the past weeks. It was the wettest golf course I've ever been on. Easy to lose a ball in the fairway because they plug deep into the muck.

Played Echo Falls 2/9. Plenty of wet spots in the fairway and plenty of balls plugging, but greens were in good shape. As a foursome we maybe lost one ball each in the fairway. Not sure if it's a permanent change or just because the tees are flooded, but the new location of the tees on #3 makes it drastically different hole and I fully support moving them there full time.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

Played Home Course yesterday and happy to report no plugged balls and tee shots with driver actually had some roll out. Greens were a bit slow and inconsistent with some motting. I was so ecstatic to play on a course in the Puget sound area that wasn't super soggy during this time of the year. I plan to come back soon!

• 2 weeks later...

2/22 - Played a mid day round at Jackson. I was pleasantly surprised with conditions for this time of year. No plugged balls, had some mud balls but was playing ball in hand. Greens rolled fine, again for time of year. Pace of play was acceptable for a city muni, but then again it is still February lol - fingers crossed for more dry days in our forecast!

• 2 months later...

Gold Mountain's Cascade Course is absolutely in the best conditions it's been in, in as far back as I can remember. The greens are pristine. Incomparable. They really are that good right now. The Olympic Course has a few spots that have issues, mostly from moss and shade, but it even looks tremendous.

If you're able, get out there this weekend ASAP. They're moving things along the best they can but get early (before 0800) tee times. Olympic was running 30 minutes behind before 0830 and Cascade was stacking up with 0700 tee times before hole # 5. Slow n steady we finished Cascade in about 3:55 twosome, one cart.

Olympic was slower, obviously. Still, if you can get out there, DO IT!!!!!

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Played Chambers on Saturday 5/9. Had 10 guys there that they pushed out in 5 twosomes. We stayed as twosomes and never tried to combine, but with the handful of marshalls on the course, we wouldn't have been able to anyways and didn't even try as we didn't want to put them in a tough position. With twosomes the pace flew- played 18 in under 4 hours with a stop at the turn and our group was a 12 and 25 handicap. Felt a little rushed for the first two holes as you don't have the other two in your group to wait on to hit to go through your pre-shot routine, but we figured it out and always play ready golf regardless. The guys in the shop were really accomodating as well- we initially booked as foursomes before the guidance for twosome came. We trimmed our numbers on our own, but they course called us two days prior offering to work with us to get us out as if though we kept our 20 guys and figuring out how to make it work.
The course was in immaculate shape. My buddy that's the 25 said it was the most fun he's ever had on a golf course and he's been really into the game, playing every chance he gets for the last two years. Greens rolled well, fairways were great, and the weather was 80 with a 1-2 club wind everywhere but the 12th and 13th, where there wasn't a breath of wind and we got really warm (we were pouring sweat after hiking up to 13 tee). If you get good weather and a chance to get out, 10/10 recommend.
Playing Harbour Pointe Thursday 5/14 and Druids Monday 5/18, will update as well. I think with how the golf courses need revenue and the fact they've been able to maintain and get the courses in great shape with a 6 week break, I'll echo @dan360 and say get out if you can.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

Played Jackson last Tuesday morning, Riverbend last Thursday afternoon, and West Seattle Saturday and Sunday both in the mornings. I agree with @kaschreiber that the pace of play flew quickly with twosomes. All those rounds last week were 3.5 to 3.75 hours. All courses were playing in great condition for this time of the year as Munis. The green aerifications they did during lock down were pretty non existent.
I kind of like the pace of being done in under 4 hours but sometimes too quick to enjoy.
Online Tee Times seemed to be really booked up too so you have to get in early to get a tee time for the day you want.
Hopefully the Corona doesn't flare up and we get to keep playing for the rest of the year. I'm already anticipating a second flare up later on in the year.

Anyone have a suggestion on courses that wouldn't be too hard to walk on as a single (or ones that let you make a tee time as a single). I tried to play this afternoon, but the Nile (very close to my house) was too full. I had to get to the course before 6 am last week to have any hope of playing. Or, after 6 pm. Maybe things will slow down a bit in a couple of weeks when people get the pent up demand out of their system.

• 2 weeks later...

Played 36 at both Suncadia courses over the holiday wekeend. Courses were in the best shape I've played them in and the COVID restrictions are minimal. I'm still surprised at how differently the two courses are sometimes run, i.e. Prospector had the cups upside down, which was not intrusive at all. Rope had pool noodle in the cup and we had a few putts bounce out as a result. Other than that, well worth the trip over the mountains. Had great weather Sunday, was drizzly and windy Monday, but were able to play comfortably in shorts both days.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Played Willows Run- Eagles Talon over the weekend. Course was in pretty rough shape, which is understandable given where we're at in the year. Greens are covered overnight to prevent any frost delays, which is certainly a positive, but they were about as bumpy as any I've ever played. Not complaining as I get it, but there are better options out there. (Standing water in parts of the course as well)

Had two friends play Avalon the next day, and while it's a hike from the Seattle area, they said the greens were pristine and in fantastic shape.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...

Played 36 at Home Course and 27 at Snoqualmie Ridge over the weekend. SR a bit wet in spots, but greens in great shape. Opposite for Home Course, really dry, but greens were like broccoli in the afternoon. Looks like they're suffering the same fate as Chambers with greens half poa and half bentgrass

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist ProV1