Mavrick pro irons

QuigleyDU

Same for me, I really liked the Rogue Pro when it came out and then quickly lost interest. I think the same is going to happen with these.

Regarding shafts, I'm pretty sure the Rogue Pro took a taper tip, but the Mavrik Pro looks like its a .370. I see in the custom menu that they do offer shafts that only come in taper, but all at an up charge. I assume they install those with a shim if its a .370 hosel - anyone know for sure?

Would like to know this as well. I noticed the stock graphite shaft is the KBS TGI 90, which is a great shaft, but I thought it only comes in taper tip at that weight and that the TGI 80 was the heaviest parallel shaft in that lineup.

I have seen the parallel 80 offered as stock by PXG but the Mavrik Pro is the first one I have personally noticed to offer the TGI 90 as stock. That’s exciting and it matters because the TGI taper tips are firmer than the parallels and that’s what I prefer. Seems odd if the stock graphite shaft Is a .355 for a .370 hosel. Shims don’t affect performance but still would like to know. Maybe KBS has a .370 version of the TGI 90 that I have not seen. I hope not.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

It looks like each weight in the KBS TGI range only comes in one flex, am I seeing that correctly? Golfworks shows the 90g shaft as R(3B2H), 95g as R+(3.5B2H), 100g as S(4B2H).

Only reason I asked the tip diameter question is because I'm pretty sure that both the original Apex and Apex CF16 were .370 hosel, with the pro version being taper tip. I just prefer to go with constant weight shafts when possible.

Yes, you are correct that they are not sold by flex. That was new to me but so are graphite iron shafts. Was biased against them. This design is intended to match the optimal weight graphite and flex to swing speed. On the KBS site specs it lists the guideline 6 iron swing speed range for each shaft. The 90g is for 80mph to 85 and the 95g is for 85 to 90. So for the Mavrik Pro they have chosen a stock graphite for stronger players.

I am usually about 87 mph for a 6 iron which would fit a 95g shaft per KBS recommendation but I would likely go with 90g and it would be fine if they are both taper tips. It’s a guideline only and I usually like to feel a little flex vs the shaft feeling too stout. Really, I’ve been hitting the 80g parallels in M5 irons, which should be too soft for me. They feel great, not whippy at all, and they go long, but I’d like slightly more weight and I also prefer constant weight shafts. I also could still play lightweight steel (PX LZ 105, for example) but my days with 120g C-Taper stiffs or Project X Rifles are likely done. The TGI shaft performs like steel for me but I have no soreness vs the sore wrist I was dealing with. I missed four months with a TFCC partial tear and it really lingered.

if the Mavrik Pro performs I could see it being a nice combo.

I demoed these (against the Apex Forged and Apex Forged Pro) with the Project X 6.0, Elevate Tour VSS Stiff, LZ 120 6.0 and the LZ 105 6.0. Ended up choosing the latter and they are sitting on my porch awaiting my return home. Didn't receive them before my golf trip unfortunately. Can't wait to play with them.

Yes. Went with the LZ 105 6.0. It performed the best for me and I'm coming from a Project X 6.0 shaft. I actually liked how the Elevate Tour stiff felt the best (weight and vibration wise), but my ball flight and dispersion were better with the LZ 105. I felt weird when the fitter told me to try that one if I didn't really like the feel of the standard weight LZ stiff (which I believe is 120g).

I liked the Apex Pro the best (sound and feel, which are probably virtually the same thing). But the Mavrik Pro had better distance and height than the Apex Forged. The Mavrik Pro are stronger lofted than the Apex Pro, but outside of sound/feel and distance, they were very similar. Even the spin (for similarly lofted irons) were not significantly different. Ended up pulling the trigger on the Mavrik Pros.

Nothing wrong with properly installed taper tips in a .370 hosel.

I'm playing them right now from the factory - Elevate Tour 115 in the Apex 19

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Received mine the other day and went to the range to test them out. They are quite nice. I do perhaps wish that I went with the Elevate Tour shaft simply for the weight as the PX LZ 105 stiff feels a little light coming from my PX 6.0. In any case, I'm really liking these. The feel and sound is just great. I also am a fan of the Pro 4H. Glad I went with the Project X Catalyst HYL that comes standard on the Mavrik standard. Can't wait to get these out for a few rounds. Wish I had received them before my golf trip last weekend.

Demoed the Pro 7i and 7i Srixon 785. Tried with the stock Elevate and then Nippon Pro Modus3 120. I liked the Pro better. It was easier to hit, better dispersion, felt very smooth with the Modus shaft and slightly longer which could be attributed to the extra 2 degree loft difference. Also tried the 2020 Cobra forged Tec. Didn't hit that well but it was a lighter shaft 90-95g so alot lighter than what I'm used to. Wished I tried that in a heavier shaft as it felt pretty good too.

My friend who plays blades took a few swings with the Pro, looked at me and said ' you sure these aren't forged?'

The Srixon and Cobra felt forged. Wouldn't say the Pro felt forged but it's alot better than a typical cast for sure.

If it wasn't for the steep upcharge on the Nippons, I'd have picked a set of Pros up. Now I have to think about it. ..ahhggh

Well, here’s my 2 cents... I play modus 120s... I think the elevate in the 105 and the tour, felt fine. But these clubs are definitely high launch and low spin. For me my SS w/ 7 iron is 88 or 90 mph.. my spin with the elevate tour was 5k and for some reason the 105 jumped up to around 8k and I lost significant yardage. So just be aware of the spin discrepancy.. for me anyway! Back to my quasi review. My carry with the 7 was 190, 5-5600 spin which is a little low, but my decent angle was 49*, so stopping shouldn’t be a problem. No need for me to hit a 190 7 iron, so to up the spin I did opt to weaken the lofts..

So for reference, I’ve played p790/770 and also have a set of Pxg 0311t gen 1! So with that in mind, behind the ball these look really nice.. Small, little offset, but also it inspired confidence at address. Also, I’m a feel guy! I was a Mizuno homer, but recently lack of lefty offerings pushed me away. I love the forged feel in my irons! That being said, these really felt great.. not necessarily forged feeling but soft, and powerful! I really liked it even being kind of a feel snob.. I may liken it to my PXG feel in some ways! I’m gonna give these a shot, but truthfully I do feel these may be prone to the “jumpers” everyone tends to complain about.. but truthfully that’s gonna be dependent on strike pattern! My pure one went 190, but I also had some heavy/thin strikes that were 175.. So forgiveness is probably on par with other irons in this class, p790, cobra forged Tec etc.. I guess I will see in 2 weeks!

• Like 1

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

These really do set up nice behind the ball, feel really balanced and not as light as i expected with the LZ105.

I will share my thoughts after hitting them for a couple hours tomorrow

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

As more traditional lofts go, the Mavrik Pro 7 iron is lofted like a 6 iron. Your SS is slightly higher than mine, and I typically hit the 6 iron around 180-185

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Had a chance to compare the Pro and the Apex 19 a couple of days ago in a sim. Hit both with the Elevate Tour shaft, which feels really nice. Not much to choose between the performance of the two, but I like the Apex quite a bit better based on sound/feel and the satin finish - more muted in look and hitting sensation.

Unfortunately Golftown has very limited selection of shafts in their Callaway fitting cart, I was really hoping to try the KBS TGI. The Callaway demo shaft selection is always lacking compared with companies like Ping and Mizuno.

I would say the Mavrik Pro looks similar size-wise to the Apex Pro but will offer a lot more help on off-center hits. As a test, I previously bought Apex Pro 19 5 and 6 irons with the Tour Elevate, did not care for them and did not go for the full set. Felt fine but any type of wandering impact saw a pretty fast drop off in distance. It is your standard forged iron.

Am looking at the Mavrik Pro mainly for the high-tech face, the across-the-face forgiveness and because I do think with the microspheres they have a winner on feel vs the Apex. I thought the Rogue Pro felt good and the Mavrik Pro is an improved version. That technology works and I don’t care about forged vs cast anyway. Usually can’t tell the difference. I actually enjoyed the Rogue Pro impact more than the Apex Pro

i put the Mavrik Pro and Apex Pro heads side by side and the Mavrik may be a millimeter bigger. Very tiny difference. The differences within the heads are significant and that’s what is impressive about the Mavrik Pro. They made it pretty compact considering how it is built.

The Mav pros and apex while both great sets of irons have a bit of a different target audience. The macs are squarely in the players distance category while the apex is more in the players category. Less of a distance iron.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

These are great irons, higher launch, more spin, more carry, and feel great for cast, LZ105 was great.

One potential issue, hot. I carried an 8 iron 163 on one shot, out of nowhere, most were right on 155. I am not a long hitter, may not seem like a lot, but distance control is a big part of my game.

my buddy who is a little newer to the game is taking them, he loved them, needs help getting it up in the air but hates massive irons.

they aren’t taking my 919 out, but may buy another set to game on occasion.

Well done Callaway!

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x