Disappointed in Callaway Preowned

GeorgeHWB

FWIW, that pricing inconsistency persists all over CPO. Could be $20 more for a 4H over a 3H in the same family. Could be a discrepancy between one 10.5* Epic Flash with a stock shaft compared to another 10.5* Epic Flash with a different stock shaft in the same condition (that is, no special shaft where they might be justified for charging more).

I say this with all sincerity--if you buy enough from CPO, I do think it all evens out somewhat. That said, when I am ambivalent, these inconsistencies have kept me from making some purchases. But when I have really wanted something, I have bit the bullet.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

Thread cleaned up. Please don't bicker with one another.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

My biggest issue with Callaway preowned is that they don’t have a separate category for refurbished. They lump refurbished clubs in the category of like new. I once purchased a set of irons in like new condition and when they arrived it was clear that they had been refurbished. They had been polished and repainted. The paint fill in some of the grooves was not clean. There were chatter marks in the clubs that couldn’t be removed from the refinishing/refurbishing process. The shaft labels were peeling away from the clubs having been pulled in and out of the bag. And while the grips were new, they were the cheap generic Callaway replacement grips as opposed to the original grips that would’ve come brand new with the clubs. I don’t have a problem with refurbished clubs, but if you’re not going to show pictures of the actual club that is for sale, then why not have a category for refurbished separate and apart from brand new.

Yes, I was able to return them without any issues and I think that Callaway may have even sent me a return label at no charge, but it was kind of a hassle that could’ve been easily avoided if they described the clubs as refurbished as opposed to like new.

I've purchased tons of equipment from Callaway Golf Preowned and finally had my first semi-negative experience. Got an M6 fairway wood in average condition (I've bought several avg. condition items in the past and while far from mint, I'm generally pleasantly surprised with how the clubs look). Unfortunately this time the average condition meant a ton of skymarks and it almost looked like someone tried to sand down the crown (where it's silver). When I called to get a refund they required that I pay for shipping (only $5 but still). I expressed my displeasure with the condition but since it was an average condition listing, they won't cover any shipping costs and the sales rep had no interest in budging. I didn't feel like raising a stink about it because rules are rules I guess. In the past when I've had any issues they're usually way more accommodating. Oh well. Probably had 20-30 transactions with them that all went positive so I won't hold it against them.

I've purchased more items from CPO than I would like to admit.

I have learned a few things along the way.

I only order like new or outlet condition and have had a mishap here and there but not often.

I order everything separate now, I use to order irons and woods in the same order but realized after the third time in a row I will no longer do this as they always just put everything in the box not using the head cover and allow irons, wedges and woods to bang around and ruin a perfectly good club appearance.

This seems to be the best approach and I know it cost a little more but you atleast have a good chance of getting a pristine club.

• Like 1

Golf Daily

Also (as someone who orders way too much) look for odd combinations of non-stock attributes to the items in 'like new' condition. If something has an upgraded shaft, but is like +1", or -2 loft, etc - it's probably a returned custom order which is brand new and can be had for the same price as stock offerings.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Found this thread after I bought a 2019 Toulon Austin last week..... bought it as "Very Good". Putter arrived yesterday and while the condition was fine - no major scratches or dents, just some minor scratches on the sole -- they sent me the Stroke Lab version when I had ordered one with a standard steel shaft. Looks like they put the wrong sticker on the one they sent. Anyways, called CPO this morning and they are shipping me another putter. Good news is the new one is supposedly in "Like New" condition so that is potentially a plus assuming the condition matches the description. And they did not charge me any extra for the "like new" one. They also sent me a label to send the incorrect one back once I get the new one.

Easy mistake - just labeled the Stroke Lab one incorrectly - customer service was great - no questions asked. And i would say the "Very good" description was accurate the first go around - hopefully the next one is in even better shape per the "like new" description.

• Like 1

I'll add one thing, in past few months I have purchased few items from CPO. The clubs that are labeled as good or average condition can be a crapshoot on it's condition. But "like new" clubs usually are brand new or shop worn clubs. I received my "like new" Epic Flash 5 wood this morning, brand new and unhit. It still has the SKU plastic label on the shaft.

From my experience, I'm more than willing to pay extra for "like new" clubs.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Early on when I bought like new clubs they were essentially new condition. The last year or so like new clubs were more like very good. I sent back 2 like new purchases recently because of nicks and scratches. Just seems all over the place now. Having said that they always made it right but I was responsible for return shipping from Canada to the U.S.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have made a few purchases from CPO ranging from average to outlet.

Average iron set looked great except for the pw, which had some browning, but definitely average if not better than expected.

Outlet wedges were brand new (with stickers in terrible places as others have expressed)

Like new shafts didn't have a mark on them.

Overall very pleased

LIke new and Outlet only for me on quite a few things. A month ago I cracked my face of a Rogue driver and CPO accidentally sent me a Average one for warranty replacement. Good/Average can easily have crown marks and this once certainly did, way too many. I called back, they said they should have shipped a Like New since that was what I bought in 2019. Rogue being older its harder to find demo/like new. I could wait or have a EF Like New substituted.

I chose the EF and when it arrived it was a demo club, still had the demo sticker from the club it was at. One little crown mark buffed out otherwise I'd consider it Outlet condition.

Can't ask for any better customer service: thank you CPO.

I bought 2 sets of irons recently and some wedges. I gave a set to a friend he thought they were almost new...they were a super bargain and were the lowest grade rating.

the other set I bought was one higher grade rating and looked near new. I was super happy . wedges were lowest grade and were super clean. Best deals I could find.

thanks CPO

I haven't had any big issues with condition ratings. I've bought a few things in outlet/like new that looked as if they had never been hit, and a few that had been lightly played, but no major blemishes.

I have had a couple instances of incorrect items showing up though - two fairway woods came without the new grips I had ordered them with and paid for (customer service was very helpful - they reimbursed me for getting the grips installed locally) and most recently a putter I ordered came with a different grip than the description (SuperStroke 2.0 instead of Pistol GT).

In the end, their deals (and customer service) are so good I can handle a few inconsistencies and won't hesitate to order from them again.

I just bought a Odyssey O Works Jailbird Mini S Black in the “outlet” condition for $70 so we’ll see how it looks when it arrives but couldn’t pass up such a good deal on a high MOI putter

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I've bought from them several times, only buy 'as new' or outlet condition as well. Only had one wedge I wasn't happy with, and they sent me out another that was perfect and a free return shipping label. Recently bought irons in as new condition and they were great. I'm about to pull the trigger on an epic flash 3 wood, they are stupid cheap right now. Only gripe I have is why they downgrade the grips. If these aren't demo clubs (I realize some are), why not just leave the original, hardly used grips on? Same with headcovers, hit or miss whether you get a generic one or the original one for that model.

But overall as others have said, these guys are great to buy from and great to deal with if you have an issue. One of the benefits of buying 'as new' is that there is really no wiggle room to interpret condition as there is with the lower grades.