Current Irons with a Beveled Leading Edge?

mjbaker80 ·  
mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members  829WRX Points: 294Handicap: 4.2Posts: 829 Golden Tee

Looking for help from the collective Golfwrx motherbrain, here...

I have had two very well known clubmakers (both of which have been interviewed on this site) tell me that I need a beveled leading edge on my irons (and wedges). I am VERY shallow and don't hit down on my irons nearly as much as I should. I might come down 2 degrees with shorter irons (not nearly enough). With longer irons we are talking like 1 degree....I know, I know.

YES I KNOW THIS IS A SWING ISSUE. But, I have playing golf for 30 years, play to about a 5 and have two kids that severely limit range time. My swing isn't changing any time soon....

I spoke with Ian Fraser at the PGA Show (great guy) and he mentioned the TM 760 and Titleist T100. So, I've added those to the "try" list.

I would ask the clubmakers mentioned above, but I always feel a bit bad asking a club maker what OTHER brands fit me, particularly when their sets are $3,500 and that's not in the cards for me.

So, bottom line -

What current iron models have a beveled leading edge?

How/why does it help a player with my tendencies (I assume that it "brings" the leading edge closer to the ground for a guy who isn't doing that by his action...?

Thanks in advance to y'all.

Just another guy junkie trying to get the right clubs in his hands (until he talks himself out of it again) :)

Posted:

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9636WRX Points: 1,598Posts: 9,636 Titanium Tees

760's alllll day long, perfect for shallow guys. I'm on your boat, although not as shallow, I still like a thinner sole but a bit of bevel on leading edge to help get me in and out of the turf faster. T100 are good irons for sure but unless you struggle getting enough spin, I've found these for whatever reason to really spin quite a bit. Since I play a really high spinning ball, I don't need the head DNA to be high spin either. The 760's launch high but don't spin quite as much, which compliments a shallower swing nicely.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max | Tour Z Xtreme 475; 4w - SIM Ti | Diamana B 80; 4h - 818H2 | Tensei White 90; Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120; GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue; SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue; LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue; P - Toulon San Diego or Directed Force 2.1; Ball - TP5 Pix 2.0

Incoming gear: Speedzone Xtreme 9* Driver,  Speedzone 5w, Speedzone 4i & 5i

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members  829WRX Points: 294Handicap: 4.2Posts: 829 Golden Tee

SUPER helpful, Z1, thank you!

I did like the 760s when I tried them OUTSIDE. With my AoA (or lack thereof) its very hard to feel much inside....I know some people hammered on them because the long irons were all over the place in terms of distance control. But, I didn't find that at all.

What you said about needing to get "in and out of the turf" is EXACTLY what both clubmakers said I need....so, you clearly know your stuff!

Thanks, fella. Excited to hear other responses.

Posted:
  • davo32683davo32683 Members  2438WRX Points: 255Posts: 2,438 Platinum Tees

Miura TC-201

Titleist T100

TM P760

older models look at Bridgestone J15cb

Posted:
    Nothing is safe in my bag!
  • mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members  829WRX Points: 294Handicap: 4.2Posts: 829 Golden Tee

Boy.... you guys are GOOD. Totally forgot that Ian mentioned the TC-201, too. If anyone every tells you that you guys don't know your stuff, tell them to pound sand!

Thank you!

Posted:
  • ProjectXProjectX I can a hit lob wedge 150...but only from a greenside bunker Members  1437WRX Points: 202Posts: 1,437 Platinum Tees

V Soles on Srixon and Ben Hogan irons would be great to look at for you as well.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5* Diamana ZF 60 TX
    Cobra F9 Speedback Tour Fairway 16.5* Diamana ZF 80 TX
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3 KBS Tour C-Taper X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 & 5 KBS Tour C-Taper X
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 6-9 KBS Tour C-Taper X
    Mizuno T20 Raw 46*, 51*, 56* & 61* KBS Tour C-Taper X
    TBD Putter
    Titleist ProV1x #13

For Sale:
    Like New - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 Chrome SB 52/9 & 56/12 KBS Tour C-Taper X ... $100 each
    Like New - Taylormade Raw Face Milled Grind Hi-Toe 60/10 KBS Tour C-Taper X ... $150
    Like New - SeeMore Nashville z3c Black Mallet ... $200

Interesting to hear that! I’ve heard the V soles are made for guys that really compress it (ball then turf) and are not good for shallow guys.... the V sole certainly looks like an extreme bevel though so I get your thought....

the counter thought would be that bc the V sole is so extremely, it could actually encourage a bladed shot on a very shallow swing bc it actually exposes the leading edge to the ball, right?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19536WRX Points: 1,616Posts: 19,536 Titanium Tees

I don't understand why a guy with a shallow angle of attack need a beveled leading edge, which is an anti-digging feature.

Regardless, many of the Japanese brands use a beveled leading edge such as Bridgestone and Mizuno within the JPX line,

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members  760WRX Points: 284Handicap: 13Posts: 760 Golden Tee

Epon 503. Grindworks cb1 (not as noticeable but it's there)

Posted:
    Taylormade Sim 9° Ventus Black 7x
    Callaway epic flash 3w tensei pro white 7x
    Taylormade Sim hybrid 3. Tensei pro white 90tx 
    Grindworks CB1 4 iron modus 120x 
    Bridgestone j15cb 5-pw modus 120x
    Artisan 48° 53.5° 59° modus 120s
    Epon i33 rose gold putter

Thanks, Nessism. I’ve heard that too actually. In my case it’s more complicated, according to my fitters. It’s not that I don’t dig at all, it’s how I drive the club into the ground. They like me in a beveled bc of HOW I contact the ground. Apparently I am in and out of the ground quickly but the way I impact it is prone to digging and getting stuck. It’s weird I know.....

My misses tend to be either very thin or very fat. Or, the contact is perfect but that’s a rare event :) The beveled apparently will help make the bad misses less bad (more consistent turf interaction....

Posted:
  • cxxcxx Members  3251WRX Points: 231Posts: 3,251 Titanium Tees

Maybe you are trying to force steeper attack and require some leading edge relief for that reason. A sweeper really doesn't need the anti dig feature. Might look at clubs that have a lower vertical center of gravity. Sweepers generally hit the ball lower on the club face.

Posted:
  • wam78wam78 Members  758WRX Points: 242Handicap: NAPosts: 758 Golden Tee

Honma 747v have a nice beveled edge as well.

Posted:
    Ts3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2 
    Ts3 15* Diamana S+ LTD Blueboard 70s tipped .5"
    U500 2 Iron Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Bridgestone Tour B JGR h2 4i Modus 120s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-pw Modus 120s
    SM8 Raw 50F, 54S bent to 53, 58S Modus 125 Wedge
    Toulon Las Vegas  KBS CT Tour Matte, Iomic I-Classic Mid Black 
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement

You guys are all awesome! NEVER thought if the lower CG idea...BRILLIANT. And you suspicion is true... I think over compensate bc I know I pick it.

I am always a groove low!

You’re spot on. Will check out Honma!

Posted:
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers  988WRX Points: 273Handicap: 6.9Posts: 988 Golden Tee

Not current but Bridgestone J15 CB would seem perfect. I would agree with the Srixon post. I have seen shallow players start taking a medium divot with the V Sole. If you are going down at the ball at all, you skip that leading edge bounce and get into the turf a little later in the swing, possibly after the club has had a fraction more time to move into the ball before turf interaction. This also promotes a divot instead of a bounce IMO only.

Just one guys thoughts with no evidence besides what I have seen with my eyes.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 with Evenflow White 1100 stiff
    Titleist 917 F2 15 degree
    Titleist 818 H1 19degree and 23degree
    Mizuno 919 Tours with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58,54,50

Odyssey Stroke Lab 7

• rockhound100bopdrockhound100bopd Members  50WRX Points: 26Handicap: 7.3Posts: 50 Bunkers

The srixon 785 have a good bevel from what I've seen. Also if you are looking titleist, I havent hit the T100 yet, but they really improve the turf interaction on the ap2 718 from the 716.

Posted:

So bummed I can’t get the J15 CB new....funny...people say I swing like Kuch (a horrible garbage version of course) and guess what he plays.....

Posted:
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members  2040WRX Points: 368Posts: 2,040 Platinum Tees

p760 or t100. If you want distance lofts hold out for the t100S in March

Posted:

Advertisement

Thx fella, saw you had some good comments in the "iron sugestions for a sweeper" thread too. Some of the suggestions in that thread were pretty chunky though (like Hot Metals). Not to be that guy but I just can't look at those. The stuff you guys are suggesting I absolutely could. I'm no light-out stick but I grew up laying blades (that's all there was) and I hit the ball absurdly high (also a biproduct of not hitting down and in turn, not delofting the iron). So, anything SGI is out....GI would be fine....

No one has said anything Minuzo...interesting...

I have gone down a rabbit hole now trying to find irons with a super low CGI per the great post above..... someone save me from myself, please.

Posted:
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members  2040WRX Points: 368Posts: 2,040 Platinum Tees

If I’m not mistaken the new T100S coming out in March having stronger lofts and they adjusted the cgs lower to make up for that. I will be getting them when they come out.

Posted:

Interesting... The T100s are nice for sure....I am sure the S will be solid, as well. It's more compact then the 718 Ap2 that's for sure... The sole of the Ap2 was not great for me and all the perimeter weighting made me feel like I couldn't get "under" the ball.... Perhaps the T100 are better in that regard.

I suppose the more "tech" in the club the less likely the weight could be super low in the head/face.... one of the clubmakers I mentioned (who is essentially on the Mount Rushmore of great golf club minds) actually wanted me in blades after he fit me, but, he also hasn't seen me on a bad day...yet....!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.