2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon - Push/Pull Cart vs Carry

tonypizzle

So I want to begin by saying, sorry, I know this has probably been covered a million times in other threads but to be honest I was too lazy to scroll through the numerous pages on bandon tips. so the question is easy. going to bandon for the first time this May, thinking about using a pull/push cart or carrying bags for 36 holes for 3 days straight. haven't done that ever. in fact haven't walked a course since I was a junior (which was a while ago!) just wanted to know if there are any courses that are better for carts over carrying or carrying over carts. I have seen that some have steps or holes that make carts more hassle than theyre worth. so I figured I'd ask the experts!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I want to begin by saying, sorry, I know this has probably been covered a million times in other threads but to be honest I was too lazy to scroll through the numerous pages on bandon tips. so the question is easy. going to bandon for the first time this May, thinking about using a pull/push cart or carrying bags for 36 holes for 3 days straight. haven't done that ever. in fact haven't walked a course since I was a junior (which was a while ago!) just wanted to know if there are any courses that are better for carts over carrying or carrying over carts. I have seen that some have steps or holes that make carts more hassle than theyre worth. so I figured I'd ask the experts!

You really should go read the threads, as there is a ton of other information than can be gleaned for a first timer.

You really should go read the threads, as there is a ton of other information than can be gleaned for a first timer.

Agreed, you'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun reading and looking at pictures.

Short answer to your question- ricksha on Bandon, Old Mac, and Trails. Carry on Pacific.

I always bring mine or rent over carrying. Bag tends to get a little heavy. With the uncertainty of the weather on the Oregon coast, I tend to always pack rain gear and a pullover. Throw in a beer or six, snacks, etc., I just find it more enjoyable to push or pull. Although the trails at some courses are rougher than others, a rickshaw or your standard cart from home will do fine.

Agreed, you'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun reading and looking at pictures.

Short answer to your question- ricksha on Bandon, Old Mac, and Trails. Carry on Pacific.

This.

For every player there is a different preference. I'm lazy and I prefer to carry. I was an outdoor guide for most of my adult life and I have pretty simple rules for dressing for the elements. First, I wake up in the morning and look outside. Preferably look at an outdoor thermometer from the warmth of being inside, the overnight low from your phone is probably close enough. I wear everything to be comfortable in that temperature, if there is any chance of rain that will include rain layers. If there is going to be a pretty drastic warming, then I dress to be a little cool first thing. Then I leave my whole little bag's big pocket empty and dump layers as I go. If I go back out in the afternoon, the layers start going back on. Other than that, I only ever take 6 balls and have never run out of golf balls. Pretty much the bag is empty other than those 6 balls. Most guys weight down their bag with too many golf balls, a security blanket thing is my guess.

Lastly, if I'm tired or at all concerned about the weight of the bag, then I start dumping clubs. I pick it up quickly as if I'm on the golf course, does it feel light? Do my muscles feel sore? Am I eager to take on the course today? If the answer is no to any of those I drop a hybrid. Repeat. Still a "no"? A wedge is gone. I usually play off about a 6 to an 8 index and I can go down to 11 clubs and shoot the same scores. I can drop down to 7 and it may cost me a stroke or two.

I think having my bag saves me a lot of steps. Another thing that saves you steps is having a caddie in the group. Slow down and follow the caddie. Watch where the he sets down the gear, that's the path to the next tee box. If you don't have a caddie in the group and no one has played the courses a bunch you'll waste a bunch of steps just not knowing where the path to the next tee box goes. Look carefully for the little signs and follow them blindly.

Some courses a Rickshaw or 3 wheel cart is a bit of a nuisance. You can never go wrong with the light carry bag. Keeps me from even having to think about it. The one exception for me, that I will use my own personal Clic Gear cart is when I know pace is going to be a concern. Later tee times with guys playing for money or any kind of stroke play games with guys that are double digit indexes I probably will bring my cart. Something about standing around waiting it keeps me from having to pick up the bag to move 20 feet three times in the fairway.

Best of luck and have fun!

I've never done a headcount, but at Bandon, it seems like golfers without caddies use geezer carts more than carry their own bags.

If you aren't used to walking, comfortable footwear should be a priority. And make sure to break them in before your trip.

I would have thought that Trails and Old Mac would be the more difficult courses to use a cart. Because of the more dramatic elevation changes on those courses. But since I don't use a cart, I didn't really think about how to maneuver one around Bandon.

Last year was my first trip and I carried 3 of 5 rounds, and had a caddie on our 36 day. Great to have a caddie for some local knowledge, carry your bag and be a bit of a tour guide. With that said, some of the caddies dont talk much and may not be much of a guide if that is what you are looking for.

I should mention that I walk and carry 90% of the rounds I play with the other 10% riding on a cart.

This year for my 2nd trip I wanted to save some dough and used a Rikshaw on 5/6 rounds played. 18/36/36/18. Our first day was beautiful, clear, blue skies so I carried. The next 2.5 days were WET and I had planned on using a Rikshaw already since I wasn't taking a caddie. This helped keep my body fresher and my body more dry because I wasnt putting soaking wet shoulder straps on top of my rain gear. And your bag can get heavy AF in the rain and I have a Jones Utility Stand bag which is not heavy at all but when your towel and bag start getting wet, game over.

I thought I would find the Rikshaw a pain to use but I didnt at all as I continued to use it for the rest of the trip. Our last day had light snow and rain but was dry for 12/18 holes.

I didn't have issues pushing/pulling the cart on any of the courses. What I would recommend since you mentioned that you don't walk courses often.... go walk your course, walk on the treadmill, walk around the block, etc.... prepare your body leading up to the trip because you do not want to be hurting and considering bailing on any rounds down there. You WILL regret not playing the most golf you can play while you are on site. Play as much as you can there, it is a special place.

"I should mention that I walk and carry 90% of the rounds I play with the other 10% riding on a cart."

This is key advice. If you aren't used to carrying most of your regular rounds, I wouldn't start doing it at Bandon.

Probably true.

I'm about 50/50 carry and use a push cart and about 5% of my rounds in a golf cart.

• 10 months later...

I thought it performed very well for me. I mean it has the same restrictions that other push carts do, there are some areas where you will have to drag it along but it saved my back and was much cheaper than a caddy. I got 27 holes out of mine and just charged it up each night. Also I had a car so I didn't mind breaking it down after each round and taking it the next course. If I were using the shuttle I may not have felt the same way about how easy it was to get from one place to another. All in all I would take it again.