2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2020 Driver Trackman Data (Taylormade, Callaway, Cobra, Ping,)

TollBros

We figured since we've had all these in house for a bit that we might as well release the test data on the heads for sake of comparison. I'll do them in blocks based on swing speed every few days.

All drivers will be set up with a custom shaft and fitted specs for each player in the test. The purpose of this test is to compare heads on very well struck shots with shaft product that is fitted to each player. This is not in any way a test of these drivers in "stock" configuration. Each and every player should be fitted into the correct combination for them for optimal repeatability in ball striking, which is what we did here.

Also this data is provided free of charge for informational purposes. We use this data and shaft information to fit customers so we will not be giving out specs on shafts, tipping or set up. However if you would like to go through this process, we offer online evaluations free of charge with purchase of driver or shaft. A simple good faith $40 fee is all we ask, which is 100% applicable toward purchase of the recommended product.

Just a reminder that we do carry all major OEM brands, as well as select Tour and prototype products. We can do full custom builds and will price match any authorized dealer's non sale advertised pricing.

SC2AF8Y84X9N.jpg

28KUNKG8XWRV.jpg

VKUBF8RLNJCT.jpg

Thanks for doing this. Any chance you could share the shaft or shafts being used for each head?

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

So all heads from this year are shorter than the older M series testing you did in your previous post(based on numbers I am assuming JT was tester 1 in the previous test)?

Looks like ballspeeds are down 2-3mph vs the ‘16 m2 and ‘18 m3/4 resulting in -10ish yards of carry

Any idea why this is would be other than human factors?

I wouldn't say that. It all depends on the tester on each individual day. Remember it's cold here right now too so temp, wind, etc all come into play to some degree. You shouldn't compare numbers from a year ago to today, just compare the products tested last week to one another. That's why when testing products for comparison, they all have to be hit on the same day, same session, to make a valid comparison. Get me on a 95 degree mid summer day with a couple days of hitting rest in between and I can still sniff 130mph and 190 ball speed, but that's not realistic course swings, nor can I keep that up for 200 swings. Haha

All drivers in each block are set up for each individual player. The purpose here is to compare HEADS directly, not shafts in this test. Every player will have a shaft, length, swingweight, etc that suits them and their swing. We are not testing stock shafts and stock specs, only comparisons between products.

• Like 1

Thanks I can’t wait to see more.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

There are always multiple options for every player. Assuming I wanted to play one head in particular, the shaft choice might be completely different than with another head. The key is making sure you are fit into something that not only allows you to deliver the head consistently to the ball, but also produces excellent launch parameters. This is almost never a stock shaft, at stick length, with stock tipping, swingweight, grip, etc. A good stock shaft to me, means something you can sell off for a decent amount once you install the correct option for the player.

• Like 1

Didn’t realize you did your testing outdoors? That would seem to bring a lot of extra variables into play that make comparisons even on the same day difficult.

My prior thinking was that the swing speeds between the two the two tests were very close(125ish) and spin was fairly similar and they were both done in the winter so it may not be a perfect comparison but your test is making me think that the SIM may not be all it’s hyped up to be. There have been a lot of reports of people gaining significant ball speed(3-5mph) but i am a little skeptical now.

I am glad I picked up a back up M4 tour issue head and looks like I will be waiting for the Taylormade demo day at the club vs rushing out to golf galaxy to hit the SIM.

P.S. Thank you for all the insight and testing you do for the forum. JT, you and I have similar numbers and have more than once helped point me in the right direction including the M4 mentioned above

Toll, you fit me for a XD60 which I still love. Currently in an M2 head. Will it play the same length in the SIM heads, or slightly shorter? I think it plays a bit shorter in the SIM Max head and even a tad shorter in the SIM head. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

Every different player tests with the shaft that best suits him in terms of delivering the head to the ball consistently. This isn't a fitting, it's just a head comparison. The purpose of this evaluation is simply to show the differences between the heads. I should say, all our test heads are digitally measured withing .3 degrees of loft, and .3 degrees of face angle. Pulling all these off of a retail shelf and hitting them will be much different, as manufacturer tolerances will swing the lofts and face angles up to 1.5-2 degrees at times. Our testing is very controlled in terms of head specs.

• Like 1

I should say this again, all of our heads are within .3 degrees of loft and face angle from one another. As you know, pulling off a retail shelf will yield a significant variety of lofts and face angles just based on manufacturing tolerance. Some brands, and some heads are much closer to the stamped loft than others, so if you don't know that info, things could vary wildly in personal testing. That's why I stress, use this as information based ONLY on like spec'd heads, not random retail pulls. Also, SIM has been consistently the highest ball speed driver of the early year, coming close to the ball speeds we saw from 2016 M2 8.5 degree heads. Nothing up until now has really matched those Tour only 16' M2 heads. The Ping also has been outstanding and my vote for 2nd best of the year so far. It's also really good.

“All Drivers will be set up with a custom shaft and fitted specs for each player in the test.” The shaft is fitted to suit the player not each individual club head. Stated they used a shaft that the player can consistently deliver the head to the ball with. I just focus on ball speed with these tests. Launch and spin can be dialed in with a proper fitting.

Right. It's just a comparison of heads at different swing speeds. Assuming a player can only hit one of these with a shaft reasonably suited for them, this gives them some indication of differences based on identical specs. There aren't many bad drivers from major OEM's these days, but there are differences and some vary in spec much more wildly than others.

I mean, it's a pretty simple question, and it's weird to me that it is being refused an answer.

Obviously a variety of shafts where tested with each head to find the best match for that tester. I simply asked if they had a lower spinning combo when they were trying various shafts. I've noticed from a few other videos/data points that the Speedzone appears to spin a tad more than other drivers. Again, seems like a pretty simple question. If you tried out 10 shafts with that head, did any of them end up giving less spin than the combo that was ultimately chosen for final testing? Am I in some alternative universe, or is that really that hard of a question?

They didn’t try different shafts with each head. The testers used the same shaft (that fits there swing characteristics) with each head. They used the same shaft in each head to represent the difference in each head. This showed that the speedzone did spin a little more compared to the others heads (with same shaft). To bring spin down in a fitting they would have used different shafts, weights, head loft, etc to optimize performance.

This was a test to see how each head performed with all other variables being the same (I.e shaft, tester).

• Like 1