2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

I love the last sentence! I've written this many times before on this thread, but I'll do it again. There is an direct relationship between the handicap index of a player and what they have to say about face on putting when they first see me do it. Good players never say a word until they ask how long I've been doing it, or if they can try my putter. I play a fair amount of tournament golf at the local and state senior level, and nobody ever says a word; they're doing exactly what I am, which is anything possible to get the damn ball in the hole as soon as possible.

It's the guys who think they're good but aren't who just go nuts. Is that legal? I thought long putters had been outlawed? You have the weirdest putting style I've ever seen! And so on...

My stock answer to questions about "Is that legal?" is to say, "What? Putting from an open stance? Sure!" It usually takes them a few minutes to figure that one out.

• Like 1

The group of about 25 people I play with somewhat regularly, mostly seniors, and lots of gamesmanship from a couple of them. No comments about legality or other for my sudden switch to FO/SS putting. But those first 5-6 rounds I'm sure they wondered what the heck I was doing and why since clearly it was not working at all for me. I think 5-6 3-putts per round was what was happening those first rounds, including missed 3 footers on a regular basis, including short birdie putts. Having dealt w/ the yips previously for me it was nothing special to way underperform in front of an audience, though these guys only knew me as someone who plays right handed but putts left. They got to watch me make the transition to much better putting and it would not surprise me if at some point a few others get intrigued enough to try FO/SS themselves. They become believers quickly when they witness this working for someone as it's hard to argue with success for sure. Putting involves simple yet demanding skills and we see putting wizards regularly on the various tours. I'm not surprised this method has not caught on yet because so many have great success with SO/traditional putting, though as has been pointed out grips and approaches have morphed perhaps in part by natural selection to reduce methods that can make consistent putting more difficult.

The last three years, I've played in our north texas PGA Senior tournament using FO...all club pros just trying to get it in the hole :) No one has ever said Anything ...on the practice putting green, that's another story as several have stopped by to try it out...went armlock this year just to get the short putts in, still prefer FO/SS.

Going to left handed putting was the extreme step I had to take to completely get around the yipping action after trying cross handed, claw, belly and even full length models. If you've never truly experienced this you would be hard pressed to describe actually what happens in a classic yip action. Essentially for me what happens is as the putter is on the downswing, immediately just before impact, the power in the stroke stops as if you were going to avoid hitting the ball outright, but then in a fraction of a second power resumes. This is the herky jerky you see if you watch someone with a bad case. I borrowed this description from an article I read years ago and I think it captures the issue very well. It's all completely unintended and nearly unconscious it just happens. I have the yips so bad that even long putts aren't immune. The miracle is I have had no problems w/ finesse chipping, at least no more than the average decent player does which can clearly afflict people w/ putting yips even though the swing action is quite different.

Unfortunately for me my eye dominance made it impossible to see the line well left handed, whereas w/ right handed it was pretty easy to set the putter on my intended line and see indeed it was square to the intended initial path. I could simply rotate my head to see my line and rotate back to see I was correctly aligned, whereas w/ left I had to stand up and get my head erect, ala binocular, and then of course getting back down and looking at the ball caused me to lose anything learned from looking binocularly. It was largely because of this that left handed putting was not ideal for me hence was open to FO putting.

Since this seems like the place for the experts on side saddle/face-on putters, so does anybody have any info on an old Ping 69 BC putter? I found it at a garage sale last summer for $10 and figured the novelty was worth it. Now I don't have the balls to try it on the course yet but I've rolled it around on my little 10 ft. mat and it seems fairly natural to me. Its 50" long (according to the original sticker still on the bottom) and I haven't built up the nerve to change the dried out old Ping Eye grips yet. The research I have done tells me that Ping made 2 of these, one which was a "bent" shaft croquet model which is illegal and apparently very rare, the other a straight shaft which is what mine has. I've always been kind of enamored at the side saddle method and even ran into a guy a few years ago in the wild who putted this way.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

I'm not really familiar with the Ping 69 BC putter, but I have seen people putt side saddle with the "hot dog" style Ping long putters quite well. I'm curious about the "croquet" style that you mention; the only reason that I know of that a putter would be non-conforming is if the straight part of the shaft is less than 10* off vertical when the putter is soled. In other works, the shaft could come out of the hosel vertical (many do, in fact), as long as the shaft then bends to at least 80*. The other reason a putter would be non-conforming is if the head design is such that the putter can be used vertically with no change in it's performance. All of those old Ping putters were conforming as far as I know.

For ANY putter that is going to be used side saddle, the two main features that most would consider important are the shaft angle at 80*, rather than the standard 70* +/- lie angle, and less loft than standard, probably less than 2 degrees.

A couple of other thoughts.

Assuming that this is a split grip and if you DO decide to change the grips, if you are going to DIY, watch a youtube video on it first; that lower section of the grip can be a bear! You need to tape the shaft all the way from the top down to where the bottom section of the lower grip will be, and use a LOT of solvent; otherwise, that section will get stuck and you will have wasted a grip. If that sounds like I'm speaking from unfortunate experience, you guessed it!You refer to not having the balls to putt this way on the course yet. It's good that you've got that level of self-awareness about it, because it IS enough of an oddity that you have to overcome the feeling that everybody is watching you, and that every putt is a referendum on the method, etc. It's a better way to putt; I have ZERO doubt about that. But that does NOT mean that it's for everybody; you have to get over some hurdles, and attention from others that you might not want is one of the big ones. You have to embrace and then ignore that, or this method isn't for you. If you DO make the switch, I'd advise you not to go back and forth; just commit let it work. And understand that the only people that will say anything are generally bad putters who are somewhat threatened by what you are doing because it might mean that they could be better if THEY switched. Good players will be curious and want to talk about it, especially if you putt well.

And just to add to what bluedot said.....

after a while you'll find you don't even care what other people think.

I've been putting sidesaddle for over 6 years now - and I line up like that's how everyone putts.

Doesn't bother me at all, even if I'm having an off putting day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any great 2 piece grips they just love?

I've been looking for grip options and they sure are limited. I've started just using 2 normal grips and cutting one of them to about 6" long and then drilling a hole in the other one and making my own grips. Tried to use the Dechambeau grips and they were just too heavy and screwed up the feel of the swingweight to me. Just switched from that to an oversize Winn and like it so far.

Edit: I do see that Super Stroke makes a 2 piece grip, but I always kind of hated the ridge down the SS 2-piece grips. But I guess when your options are limited you have to make due.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

You may already know this, but in addition to tape all the way down and lots and lots of mineral spirits (or whatever you use) heat up that lower part of the grip. I use the microwave or the oven.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I'm sure you've found some grip brands easier to install than others. For me, Winn and Superstroke type grips with a firm underlisting are the toughest. I blast them in 10 second intervals in the microwave until they warm up a bit. With TackiMac and other solid rubber grips, I'll warm up the oven on the lowest setting and then turn it off. I now put the grip in and leave it in there for 10 minutes and it'll be pretty warm, not quite too hot to handle. (No kitchen disasters, yet.) Some guys use their heat gun, too.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in New Zealand. I would love a new Bobby Grace F22 putter but with exchange rate and shipping it would be close to $1000. I have had a BG Vfoil putter that I liked so this is what I have done. I have been face on putting with GP putter for a while now but find the putter too light Also I like a larger head

I obtained a BG Vfoil 7.2 belly putter at a good price. I replaced the shaft with a 45 inch Yes shaft. I then bent the shaft near the head to reduce loft and have the lie near 80 degrees. I am in the process today of adding lead weight to bring the head to close to 500 grams.

I did use this putter yesterday without extra weight and was happy with the results but had to work hard To get the ball to the hole.. I notice most recommend heavier putter.

I have done this so I can use it as a broomstick putter but may (certainly will) try/use it as a SS/FO putter. I suspect if I made these alterations with intent to use as a SS hanging vertical putter it would be illegal.

I look at it this way. The putter is a legal putter. It is legal to reshaft the putter. It is legal to change loft and lie of the putter bearing in mind the 80 degree rule. It is legal to add weight (lead) to a putter. Hence the matter of intent is the possible problem. Am I legal with this putter

As an aside I think it was a Scotty Cameron detour putter (particularly broomstick model) that was deemed illegal because when held upright the toe end of the sole was flat. I just missed out on getting one of these but it was withdrawn from sale when pointed out as an illegal putter

I have one of those from 20 plus years back. One of the early broomstick putters. The head is very light and the shaft felt light as well. I did use it for a while but I soon added better models. The B90 was better weighted and better shaft but not very forgiving either. It was an improvement but not for FF putting. You can try with it to see if you like the set and wish to continue down this track.

I have ordered one of the Bomar Putting Company putters, so I'll be able to give a review on that once it arrives. Just another side saddle specific option! Little anxious about the weight when I'm so used to the F22 being a sledgehammer, but I wanted something with a bit of a smaller footprint, so thought this was a good option to try out.

I'll keep the group updated when it arrives (and the snow melts here in Missouri).

• Like 1
G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Right on! I’m glad you bought this because I’m very interested in knowing what you think. I have been heavily considering purchasing this putter because I really like the way it looks. There are some interesting aspects that have me on the fence. Only three length options. 78° Lie instead of 80. I believe it comes with a normal sized grip as all of the video and photos show them gripping the steel with the bottom hand. At just under 400 US$ I’m not sure.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Yeah I plan to fiddle with it some for sure right out of the gate. I'm thinking the lie angle might not make as big of a difference because the head looks smaller than the F22 so getting it straight up might not be a big deal. The lengths were kind of weird, but since I was going to regrip it anyways, I just ordered the 48" and I'll cut it down.

I do have a couple of grips I'll throw on it to try once it arrives (I won't grip the steel, personal thing) and some tungsten tape to fiddle with the weight. The price is a bit steep, but honestly, it looks like the STX putter that was utilized by whats his name in California, so I figure why not. Good thing this is counting as my birthday present from the wife.

I've done that before on short putters, just makes the shaft feel heavy to me and not the head. However, on a longer putter, that might not be the case since the center of balance would be different. Might be something to consider for sure!

I'll have to do some more research on how to do it the best way, its been ages since I did that to a putter. But I've exclusively used the F22 for a couple of years now, so I'd expect I'll want to get the weight up since that thing is a sledgehammer.

> You'll love it. Best sidesaddle putter I've ever had (and I've tried them all!!)

> So much so, that's it's the first putter ever that I've used for 3 consecutive years (and counting).

> I love it so much I bought another as a "backup" in case they ever went out of production!

>

I still tend to go back and forth between face on and standard putting. I can't explain it other than to say I just don't seem to have a great "feel" on the line when lining putts like I do with traditional. I am going to try a directed force putter just for the heck of hit. I put my F22 on Ebay, but should probably just take it off and keep it for future drift back to face on lol....

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Well.... I pulled the trigger and bought a side saddle putter. The purchase was triggered by a potential hernia that had me off the course for a month. I got bored and was itching to try something new. If I had another low 80's round with 37 putts I was going to wrap my putter around some poor souls neck.

I have put maybe 4 hours of practice in and had a few rounds of Pitch N' Putt (to be honest not a fair test of putting as the greens are so sloped with massive divots they should have a windmill).

So far it has me very intrigued. The first thing I noticed was how much simpler and easy the short putts became. I found them so much easier that it was not uncommon to bang a couple feet past, but it wasn't a problem as I would easily tap in the return. I have found the distance control to be the most difficult aspect of this putting method. I have literally FATTED putts! Who fats a putt?!?!?! I've found that I have a left miss with this style of putting and that if my setup is not spot on I have a tendency to hit down on the ball for longer putts thus killing the speed and causing a bounce at the begging.

I must admit that I am struggleing to find a proper setup. This inconsistent setup is the reason that I have hit a fat putt. Can anyone give me some input on what they have found as best setup or some youtube videos that go into posture and setup?

The tools.... and yes I said tools. I had some very generous offers from guys on this thread to purchase some of their putters but in the end I went with a cheaper new build. I got a 42" 2-Ball replica from EdTheClubMaker on eBay. I got the 21" pistol grip installed. It has a 80* lie and the shaft is also positioned at the immediate centre right at the front of the face. I love it being dead centre but wish it was installed a bit back on the putter. The only slight on the club is that the grip is slightly crooked. A long grip like that would be tough to install but it bugs me so I'll probably change it. I'm glad that I went with this cheaper option as in the end I bought a another one! I bought the first at a fixed 42" as suggested by Ed but as soon as I got it in my hand I started wondering about different positions and stances. So, I purchased the exact same putter but with an extendable shaft. It maxes out at 52" What is the legal length limit? 48"? I am very interested on a super upright stance.

My initial thoughts are good. It is intriguing and I will putt this way for 20 rounds to give it a fair chance. Last year I golfed 80 but it's been a slow start to the year. I have had some odd looks but nothing bad said. I've had a few people ask to try it. I'm not concerned about looking weird with this putter because it just adds to the already weirdness of how I play golf. I play a short set of normally 8 clubs but am currently testing out a chipper. Oh, also every grip in my bag, except the putter, has a Jumbomax XL grip.

Cheers, Jeff

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Welcome to the club! I will agree, the distance control is still something that I struggle with, especially super long putts/sloping putts/uphill etc. It can take a long time to get really good at them, but the benefit is with a short putter I had to hit it to 2ft to 2 putt it, now as long as I get it inside 10 feet I like my chances.

As for the consistent set up, the thing that I did that helped me get started, is follow the Juan mentality. So stand behind the ball with the putter grounded holding only the top hand, straddle the line until the putter is lined up correctly, then step with your back foot (left for a RH golfer) and then follow it up with the right foot, while trying to hold that top hand absolutely still. Once in this position, when I stroke I try to hold the top hand 100% still, and then just let my bottom hand control everything. and make sure to accelerate through the ball. When I started (and still sometimes today) I let the putter try to do too much of the work and I hit kinda weak sad looking putts.

As you get more accustomed to things, you can really start using your acceleration through the ball to control your distances rather than worrying about taking a massive stroke, that really helped my lag putting.